Re: 120bhp nightmare to americans

Discussion in '2002 Lotus Elise Type 72' started by Dazzlarr, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Alright you little assholes, I'm back!!!
    1. "120 bhp Nightmare?" Haha, your thread would've sounded better if you left out that "120 bhp" part.
    2. American 6-cylinder motors are quite good engines: There's the supercharged 3800 Series II in many GM sedans, the popular Duratec V-6 that spawned the Aston Martin's new V-12 powerplant. And, listen the the brains of 84FordMan:

"Me, Jack Clifford, and everyone over at FordSix would have to disagree with you on that statement. Jack Clifford (Of CliffordPerformance.com) has proven his "6=8" motto time and time again. Not that long ago, I posted the results of one of FordSix's members and his naturally aspirated American six cylinder, 390+ RWHP. With a turbo, one can reach close to 500 RWHP."

Think before speaking.<!-- Signature -->

2. looks like some people also need to look up the Buick Grand National, yes, a buick will tear the Elise's ass up in everything but on the track, thats right, a BUICK<!-- Signature -->

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Brit cars rule</i>
    <b>ignore the above post</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Your post, or Pyro Maniac's post?

Because Pyro's right about that Buick, 60 mph in under 5, 300 bhp. Don't forget about American inline-6s, the new GM 4200 Vortec, and old-style Chevy 250 and 292, Ford 300 (only engine that literally is bullet-proof), Mopar 225 Slant-Six (called "Half a Hemi").<!-- Signature -->

4. I don't really car about that car that u mentioned(whatver it is)....this is an Elise forum!
    I could say the Tiger Z100WR could slate the Elise on the road and track...............0-60mph in 2.8secs and 0-100mph in 6.3secs.
    This is an Elise forum and I'd like to keep it that way!<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Vipergt662</i>
    <b>oh and i wouldnt go around bragging about the malibu and the impala </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What the hell's wrong with the Malibu and Impala?<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ChevyRocks</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Brit cars rule</i>
    <b>ignore the above post</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Your post, or Pyro Maniac's post?

Because Pyro's right about that Buick, 60 mph in under 5, 300 bhp. Don't forget about American inline-6s, the new GM 4200 Vortec, and old-style Chevy 250 and 292, Ford 300 (only engine that literally is bullet-proof), Mopar 225 Slant-Six (called "Half a Hemi").</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're wrong about one thing. Toyota's 22R and 22RE are bullet-proof, as well.
    <!-- Signature -->

7. The elise isn't more expensive than a vette! maybe it is in america because they know it wont sell there. As i said before it was not built to compete with vettes although i do agree with vader the vette boy because heez not makin the vette out to b sumthin its not.... now lets talk bout the elise......

8. Well the malibu and impala suck. There is no longer a class for the malibu so not much competion and the impala gets smeared all over the road by honda and even hyundai.

Well enough talk about boring cars and back to the elise. Im confident that the elise would tear up the buick in a road race beacuse i just got a video where an elise ran a damn good race against a ferrari f40. And that is just a little bit above the buick.<!-- Signature -->

9. Elise TT 190

0-62: 4.6sec
    Top Speed: 136mph
    Power/Torque: 190bhp/170lbft
    Engine: 1.8 - litre four- cylinder supercharged
    gearbox: 5-speed manual

and all for 28,730 stg

ref: stuff magazine

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>The elise isn't more expensive than a vette! maybe it is in america because they know it wont sell there. As i said before it was not built to compete with vettes although i do agree with vader the vette boy because heez not makin the vette out to b sumthin its not.... now lets talk bout the elise......</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->after converting the british currency over to american it would cost just as much as a vette and they don't come to america because they don't pass crash test and general vehicle safety restrictionsthis car in a strait line would get eaten alive by the buick the camaro and the vette and around the turns it would beat the buick the camaro and match the vette it is still a great car just as long as you don't crash in it it wouldn't be pretty<!-- Signature -->

11. crash the Elise?........hmmmmmmm

And I say again.......u can't just convert currencies when you are talking about car models.

British buyers pay up to 50% more on some cars than they would do in Europe..........British car prices are the highest in the world.
    Prices are determined on the country they are sold in.

Why are we even comparing a Corvette to an Elise..........since when were they aimed at each other?<!-- Signature -->

12. If you would please take the mclaren F1, compare it to the Dodge Hennessy Viper Venom 800TT, you will notice that the Viper kicks the Mclarens rear end. THe Mclaren F1 is fast, but nothing compared to Viper Venom!

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sledehammerdude</i>
    <b>If you would please take the mclaren F1, compare it to the Dodge Hennessy Viper Venom 800TT, you will notice that the Viper kicks the Mclarens rear end. THe Mclaren F1 is fast, but nothing compared to Viper Venom!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Good joke.

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sledehammerdude</i>
    <b>If you would please take the mclaren F1, compare it to the Dodge Hennessy Viper Venom 800TT, you will notice that the Viper kicks the Mclarens rear end. THe Mclaren F1 is fast, but nothing compared to Viper Venom!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

that's fantastic<!-- Signature -->

15. im an american, and the lotus elise with its 120 hp is still my dream car regardless of where i live

16. Nightmare?!!! more like wet dream. First of all I am an American and I absolutely love this car. It is a work of art, but it kind of pisses me off that all the europeans seem to have a stereotype that all americans cannot tell a great car when they see it.
    It isnt all their fault, though. A good portion of the Americans posting on this thread are just proving their point. Their point is that a great car isnt just dependent on horsepower, 0-60, and top speed. All this quoting of viper horsepower ratings and corvette zero to sixty times proves their point for them. These are great cars in their own right but this is not the only way to compare them.
    Lastly, the vibe is basically a toyota car. My brother works for toyota's purchasing department and told about the venture a long time ago. I think it is a step in the right direction for pontiac.

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>This car is amazing and has been since its original release in 97 was it? Anyway nowhere else in the world could a road car produce this small amount have such a potent 0-60 time. Think this was impressive, check out the exige!!! however this was critisied for being more of a track car due to lowered suspension making it impractical. blah blah blah, beat that USA- u need a V8 5.0l to produce these speeds.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What the hell are you talking about/

We build 4,800lb TRUCKS with AUTOMATICS that can beat this thing in 0-60, and just anniliate it in top speed.

Hell Ford Winstar minivans are almost as fast as this thing.

Spyder757

18. Spyder757 .......how about you grow up?
    Have u driven this car or are you just an internet warrior?<!-- Signature -->

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Spyder757</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>This car is amazing and has been since its original release in 97 was it? Anyway nowhere else in the world could a road car produce this small amount have such a potent 0-60 time. Think this was impressive, check out the exige!!! however this was critisied for being more of a track car due to lowered suspension making it impractical. blah blah blah, beat that USA- u need a V8 5.0l to produce these speeds.

We build 4,800lb TRUCKS with AUTOMATICS that can beat this thing in 0-60, and just anniliate it in top speed.

Spyder757</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

he probably is right... but around a track it stands no chance, and then we aren't even talking fuel consumption...<!-- Signature -->

20. Who in there right mind woudl drive this car somewhere other than the race track? It's not something you want to commute in, and the point isn't to drag race.

Maybe a nice, mountain road. That'd be fun.

The acceleration is good; but I think the car is designed more simply for handling - it should be a pure joy to drive on some windy, narrow road. No Buick or Mustang is going to hold up to this thing in any race that isn't straight.

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Rafale</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Spyder757</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>

Spyder757</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

he probably is right... but around a track it stands no chance, and then we aren't even talking fuel consumption...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Spyder757 est un gros bouffon , un des ces pauv'types qui ramènent leur grande gueule sans rien savoir...

22. for anybody that keeps ragging on the lotus....

1. name one car with 120 hp that can beat it either in a straight away or in corners??
    2. name any STOCK american car that can beat it in handling??
    3. name any car other than a vette Z06 that can beat it on a track for about the same price.

I'm not trying to be biased against american cars here, but everybody keeps saying (in this and other topics) that this car sucks because it only has 120 hp and that all american cars are better because they have more hp. blah blah blah, I'm just getting sick of it. half of the american car lovers are giving themselves bad names because they post incredibly stupid stuff. The Elise would be an icredibly fun car to drive on the road, it has better gas mileage than most economy cars, and it can crush cars with more than twice as much hp and that cost several times as much. The only car that I respect for about the same price is the corvette Z06. It would be a fairly close race between the two on a real track.

23. oh i got the next greatest idea, compare a top fuel dragster and a lotus elise.
    average joe: the top fuel dragster has 6000hp and goes 400mph in a quarter mile. its way better. oops i forgot its not a production car, it would cost more if it was, and i forgot it cant turn.

get the picture, vettes and vipers may be faster, but they are a whole new class, and they cost more. besides the elise turns better. and then we got people comparing them with ferraris, and people saying you would get a bunch of your buddies and load up gear, horsepower has no effect on how much weight you can carry, and why the hell would you take a race car out with your buddies and a whole bunch of gear, it holds two people.