Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

Discussion in '1972 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU1' started by shefx, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari_Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Aussie HSV</i>
    <b>Torana's were never made for straight line performance...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That must mean they weren't made for anything...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    If you were a true fan of Ferraris, then you would know that there is more to a car than its performance in a straight line, fool. The idea of going to a smaller car (than the original Monaro) was to lessen greatly the tyre wear and fuel consumption of the annual enduro at Bathurst, and thus defeat the Falcons by simply staying out on the track and having less downtime.<!-- Signature -->

2. Fatest Torana in the world= Grant O'Rourkes LJ GTR- best of 6.48 at 221mph. ive seen it run its awesome. and hes got a monaro now

3. This is a Brilliant car but it doesn't run 13.5. Maybe the SLR 5000 V8 Torana might but not this. This is a 6 thats got under 200hp and it's not even Fuel Injected. Theres no way that time is right.

4. ya 190 hp is a little small for a 13.5 1/4 mile but its definitly extremely light! never brag about how many posts you have.

5. I have just bought a 1973 GTR XU1 with all matching numbers. I dont claim to be an expert on them but I have done some reading into them. The XU1 weighed 1048 kg, had 190 odd horse power (non bathurst). The LJ XU1s ran about 15.5 to flat 16 second quarters. The 150 'bathurst special' cars had a lumpier cam, bigger valves etc ran flat 14 seconds. This is with the car in standard form. Of course in 1973 the race rules for bathurst were changed and the cars could be altered more for racing. Brock ran with tripple webbers (not factory) in 1973 bathurst and was significantly quicker than the Bond entry (same team) with the tripple 175 strombergs (Closer to a standard 'bathurst special road going car). So in race trim with the webbers the cars could probably turn out a quarter mile of 13.5. The same would apply to the XA falcons. I am sure that ford also discretly released a batch of 'modified' falcons for bathurst ( But I have not looked into the Falcons specs). As a note , I have not come across this site before but thought I would throw my two cents in. As to compare it to a falcon as a true muscle car (basically saying the XU1 isnt), the cars are worlds apart. The Falcon may have been good in a straight line but that was all - brakes and handling werent as pretty hey - but that the compromise.

6. Actually, correcting my self...Bond ran tripple su's at Bathurst in 73. The idea was that they used less fuel than the webbers and could maybe get away with three stops instead of four.

7. I can't really see how you can compare this to an XA. An XA was a muscle car (351C + 780 Holley = 380bhp)and was massive. This is an awesome car and i'd drive/own one any day even though i am a ford fan. Holden wanted a car to beat the Phase III. They couldn't do it with power so they made a smaller car and it worked so good on them.
    What sux is the fact that the V8 XU-2, Phase IV GTHO, and V8 Charger weren't released. The XU-2 was supposed to reach 160mph, and the Phase IV 170! Bloody Aussie media.

8. Just a little correction required. Yes, Brocky's XU-1 did run Webers, (as did many other teams)....but....one choke was blocked-off and inoperative. These were the new 'Group C' rules brought into racing in 1973 after the 1972 'Supercar' scare.

You were allowed to change the carby/s...but were still required to use the original throat/barrel # combination. The modified Webbers were infact single-barrel carby's, same as the SU's & Stromberg's.