Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette. 2

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R' started by robert2420, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I wouldn't have made this If I didin't think the Two Competed. With a name like LamboOwner Do you think that I am an American Muscle Car Fan? No. These two do compete. The Rotary is a powerful engine. And the RX-7 is much lighter. But as you mention the Corvette has a bigger engine. The engine also Weighs the car down. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

This vs. a base C5, rx-7 would win. But against z06 there would be no chance. I also agree tough, look at engine size- huge difference.

3. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I know.....you sound like a exotic car fan or someting along those lines......the 1.3L rotary is probably like equal to a 2.4 L engine...because the way that the rotary engine is it is more like a 2 stroke engine....there are no valves....(I have worked on many Rotary engine before)

in a handling contest I think that the RX7 will win...maybe not a drag...a Z06 is supposed to 1/4 mile in 12.4 sec...that is mighy quick

4. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

It would be close but I think the vette would lose. It's a great car but the rx7 is known for the modifications and how light it is. It would be great to see a drag race between the two though.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

this a good comparo, beucause, i don't know if its me but the front facia are very similar to each other, and i am guessing they must be using the old rotary thats why its not coming to north america(but i could be wrong). in looks this car has it for me, but comparing it to a zo6 its a hard call. in drag strip i would go with the vete, but corners go with mazda power.

6. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

There is no way this could beat the corvette in anyway but gas milage. The corvette would waist this car even if it had slight mods. No comparison.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

the vette would probably win in just about every category except wieght (that includes fuel economy.but i may be wrong because i don't know any performance numbers for this car.but if it is like the older mid '90's rx7s it would be better matched with a camaro or mustang.

8. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from robert2420</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from jaguarkid02</i>
    <b>i think the vette would win but i need to see so stats first such as: 0-60, hp, and top speed!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

well u cant say the vetter would win cause u dont know what vette ur comparing it to. what kinda vette u talkin bout lambo?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I'm comparing it to a Base Coupe. Not the ZO6.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Z06 corvette would win, but this would beat a regular C5. the zero to 60 time for this is 4.8 secs, top speed of about 160

10. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

But I'm talking th Base C5.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

ooo this would be a good drag race, one i might pay to see. im not sure, the corvette has the experience and years, but way the RX-7 is going it might have a advantage...opinions?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>I am sorry but all you American Muscle heads are ignorant.

Dont mean to offend...but everytime a sweet car like this comes about you compare it to a american muscle car..!
    it is totally true.... you are comparing a 1.3L Rotary engine to a 5.7 L V8....ovcourse the 5.7L engine is going to win....why are you people so irnorant....like everything else...

Look at Road And Track Magazine.. I believe it was the Feburary issue where they compared the Z06 Corvette to the Porsche GT2 and it got beaten...you can't compare a Porsche with a corvette...the name porsche is legendary...corvette is GARBAGE..!!!

Then in the next months issue the compared the Z06 to the new NSX and the porsche 911...and ovcourse like every other comparison the Z06 has a 5.7L and the Porsche has a 3.6L and the NSX has a 3.2L.....
    and the whole article is about how the Z06 has more power....
    oh my god it has a 2L displacement advantage ofcourse it is going to have more power....

The Z06 by the way is totaly crap like every other american car...this is so true...all american cars make horsepower by displacement....they have a huge engine that makes less then 100 HP\L ...all those muscle cars have pushrod engines...this is a technology that was made in the 1950's....everyother manufacturer in the world switched to overhead cam engines...because they see the advantage....ohh I guess that the whole world is wrong and american manufactuers are right!!!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    you obviously are a total asshole...
    i think the name Corvette has a bit more history than Porsche
    they are great in their own way, i suggest you pass 9th grade before having an opinion about something you don't know a shit about
    most american cars are crap, i would like to see those Focus' in a couple of years, or maybe those Saturns.......the y junkyard will be full of them, but when you get to the level of the vette it get's better, u know it, don't hate it because it is american, hate it if it real crap ASSHOLE!
    <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SoupedUpSupra</i>
    <b>Well, if you're talking about this RX-7 right here, then it would outdo the stock C5 Corvette, basically because of its light weight and the fact that it should cost about $20,000 less, because I'm thinking a Corvette would cost around $58,000, but then again, I don't want to know and I don't even care. (That was for all of you American car fans bragging about how cheap American cars are)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Sorry bud, but a Base Corvette starts at $42,000 and the Z06 starts at $51,000<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I might aswell rename myself GOD cuz here we go
    the this vs base C5 drag course handling on skid pad all of it the vette got smoked becasue this isn't a base model Rx7
    next lets say Z06
    the Z06 ain't that shabby but it ain't all that everyone seems to think it is
    drag vette slight and i do mean slight advantage = more torque
    handling vette = smoked weight/engineering
    course track what ever vette = smoked/ just cuz
    Just to bring this comparo some light in the early 90's the rotary 7's had just under 300 hp 280 to be exact (most ppl know the jap pact to not make more than 280 hp) this with that regulation now gone prolly estimated at about 330 in a car that weighs much less than integra let alone vette
    good night
    <!-- Signature -->

15. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Well, if you're talking about this RX-7 right here, then it would outdo the stock C5 Corvette, basically because of its light weight and the fact that it should cost about $20,000 less, because I'm thinking a Corvette would cost around $58,000, but then again, I don't want to know and I don't even care. (That was for all of you American car fans bragging about how cheap American cars are)<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

the vette would win, but the rx-7 has like a 125hps disadvantage...i think

17. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Ok here it goes, real specs from mazda and from motor trend (they are what i could find)

rx7 (1999 turbo, same as this car, different seats)

250 hp
    5.4 0-60
    158 top speed
    13.8 1/4

vette (1999 coupe, before hp increase)

345 hp
    375 tq
    4.8 0-60
    173 top speed
    13.2 1/4

Ther you go, cold hard facts, that cant really be disputed. I do love the rx7 however, in fact it is one of the only japanese cars that i do like, but it does get beat in this test. The hp difference really doesnt make too much of a differenc in this race due to the rx7's much smaller weight. As for handling, even being an american car entusiast iw ill have to honestly bow out to the rx7, but just slightly, due to its lighter weight and smaller size i do believe that the mazda will beat the incredibly nimble vette through the curvies (although i have no facts to back that up like i do the acceleration)

As for these two cars being non comparable, get your head out of your ass and wake up, the two countries build cars differently and thusly their cars will have different engine types but can be built for the sme purpose. Think about it man, countries seperated by oceans and with differenc economical and cultural differeces will develop different types of sprts cars, both will be fast, both will handle well, and both will be built differently. Don't spout HP/Liter, because as someone said that topic has been discussed at naseum and has been proven retarded. The only time that hp/L means anything is when you enter your car into a displacemnet limited race, thats it.

Why is it so hard for some people to realize that displacement does not neccisarily determinie class, but purpose and performance does?

18. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

on e thing else, this rx7, when available in the US, cost about 45,000 and the base vette costs about 45,000 (hardtop no options)

Also i do realize that the rx7 is extremely modifyable and i respect and love it for that, but we are not talking mods here, so before you go say when you mod the rx it will blah blah blah, you need to take every dollar going into the rx and put eaqual into the vette, then you have a comparison.

19. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I think it'd be pretty even.
    In a drag the Corvette would probably win.
    On the track, I'd put my money on the RX-7.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

To all you people who know jack about cars,of course ,on a drag strip the vette would win,C5 os ZO6,but on a road track ,the RX-7 would probably win,just becuase it is a very small displacement engine doesn't mean it can't compete with the large displacement V8 in a vette,just not in all categories,the RX-7(the F3DS) is the greatest sportscar of (of reasonable price) our time period.

21. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I like both cars, But I need more stats too. All in all, I would probably stick with the Vette anyhow.

22. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Actually, the RX-7 Turbo is easily capable of beating a standard C5 Coupe. The RX-7 is on par with the Z06 in every catagory, including acceleration.

23. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Motortrend is wrong, this car does 0-60 in 4.8 Seconds, it also does the q/t mile in 13.5 seconds i believe.

24. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mikestl15</i>
    <b>Motortrend is wrong, this car does 0-60 in 4.8 Seconds, it also does the q/t mile in 13.5 seconds i believe.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The motor trend specs that i quoted were for the corvette, and are correct.

The specs i gave for the Mazda, are from Mazda, I think they have some idea what their car is capable of. But just to make it even, i will put GMs projected performance for the vette with a standard transmission

0-60: 4.5
    1/4: 13.22
    top speed: 175

It is not common for car makers to overstate (usually slightly like this example) the performance of their car. Not the hp and tq but the performance. I think that mazda, like i said, I think that mazda knows what they are saying when they give their vehicle's performance vitals

25. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

ok..Ferrari4ever's post made me upset. does it matter how u get power? as long as u get it? seriously? the Z06 is not crap. i like all cars, of every make equal to what they deserve. and good ol' pushrod power is just a different way to get the power you want. so go study more cars and come back to the website when u have more respect for all technology. u dont deserve to use that ferrari logo u ignorant ass.