Re: 2003 SVT Cobra vs. The BMW M3

Discussion in '2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra' started by Cobra Man, Aug 9, 2002.

1. On T04r a memeber is topping 1100 on the stock end. I dont doubt the Cobra could match that, but noones tried. That makes a differance.

2. A cobra would smoke any bmw. The cobra is a classic car with a lot of power. idk why theses bmw fans think those weak cars can beat a cobra

3. Siriously, you're an idiot.

4. I wouldnt call him an idiot. This Cobra WOULD burn most Beemers. just cuz there are a few that would barely beat it, dont call him an idiot. Sides, the few that COULD are like $20,000 more ATLEAST.

5. I called him an idiot because he let his opinion get in the way of hard numbers.

6. Well, when enough people BS about how "their car is faster than this" especially when it ISNT you tend to get pissed off. I should know. Password said in some forum that he beat a 2001 Mustang GT in his "stock" 1990 Civic Si. I honestly dont believe that one bit. The only way thats possible is if the GT's driver sucked ass. But whatever. I try to stay calm.

7. I know this topic is about the SVT Cobra vs The BMW, and of course alot of people have their favorites for whatever reason. I myself like the cobra...just personal taste. But in the defense of the BMW, the next Generation Cobra is being inspired by the M series of BMW's. Here is a quote from the Car and Driver website.

" Martens also has an idea of where the next SVT Cobra is headed: “We have to have a Cobra that is world-class level. The old Fox platform couldn’t deliver that; this one can.” Expect a bigger, broader separation between Mustang GTs and SVT Cobras, he says. BMW’s M cars are serving as inspiration; hence, the next Cobra will have to have an independent rear suspension, he says"

8. Mustang will win in staight line, M3 in the turns.

9. Doesnt the current Cobra have IRS? Im pretty sure it does.

10. Doesn't it also have floating calipers?....

11. That was really a rhetorical question.

The answer is, Yes, it does.

12. He was critisising the Cobra's brakes

The floating design was designed by the car manufacturers essentially to make the calipers less expensive to produce. It applies the same principle, but they eliminated the piston(s) on one side of the caliper. Floating calipers are not solidly mounted, but slide back and forth on bushings. When braking force is applied, the piston pushes the brake pad on the primary side and the reaction is the rotor being squeezed from the force of the pad primary side allowing the horseshoe shaped caliper to slide on the bushings so the secondary pads are used to squeeze the rotor. This means the caliper has to be very riged. One advantage is the single piston design is easier to bleed. The disadvantages are it is heavier, retains heat, requires approximately 100 pounds of pressure more to "slide" the caliper and requires more volume of brake fluid due to the diameter of the piston.

Non floating calipers require a fixed mounting bracket. Most race applications use this type of caliper, because they are generally made of aluminium, which displaces the heat faster and requires both less pressure and less volume to operate. The floating design allows all the piston to be applied at the same pressure, because the pressure is equalised when pressure is applied, thereby allowing the rotor to be squeezed by opposing forces.

And thats all I have to say about that.

13. So then one pad pushes the rotor against the other? Or am I way off? I'd have to see a diagram or somethin of it to truly understand, lol.

14. Here's a diagram....I outlined the piston in red.

Another disadvantage of the floating caliper design is size. They are bigger than their fixed counterparts, which means to fit under the same size rim, you have to use a smaller rotor.....which also means less material to absorb and disperse heat....

15. So then the caliper just slides over instead of closing together on the rotor? And if it requires a smaller rotor why in hell use it?

16. Cost of production.

17. As the pressure behind piston pushes the pad into the rotor, it also presses the caliper away from the piston, thus pulling the other side (and pad) with it....squeezing the rotor on both sides.

Fixed calipers require fluid passages on both sides....which means its expensive to manufacture (as lay z was saying).

18. Careful with what you say. MotorTrend tested convertibles. Remember that a convertible is much heavier than a hardtop. Yes the C5 Convertible is slightly faster than a Convertible Cobra. But the hardtop Cobra is MUCH faster than a C5 Corvette.

19. You are absolutely right the Supra's bottom end is built up or should I say strengthed because of the Turbo's. A strong bottom end is perfect for forced induction. Im not arguing that point. The same goes for the 2003 Cobra's engine, and also the Saleen S281E, both engine's bottom end are strengthed for high boost and torque levels.

20. So then the brake fluid sorta pulls the caliper at the same time as pushing the first brakepad? Sorry if I'm wrong, its sorta hard to picture it.

21. Yup. The new Cobra is nothing to be messed with. With 50 more horses than a Vette at $10,000 less and with another 60 horses which can be obtained easily and cheaply by raising boost, its basically the best bang-for-the-buck you can get under $100,000.