Re: 9000 RPM? Honda Redlines are insane!

Discussion in '2001 Honda Integra Type R' started by hondapwrd, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Nice pic....if it's DOHC, then where's the second Cam? Looks quite SOHC to me. And yes, I looked under the valve covers, still couldn't find it though.

Anyway, if I am wrong on that point, it's of little consequence, How much power did the model T put out? that's right, less than 1/5 of Hondas LEAST powerful I-4 DOHC engine ever. Proving once again that they could not make any headway on it.

2. It couldn’t be any more blatant that it’s DOHC, because of the two ridges that run down each side of the valve cover, here’s a picture with the valve cover off. (for those in disbelief)

It’s also of little consequence that they made no headway on it. By the 1960’s Americans use of V6’s and V8’s were yielding 400 and 500hp factory engines and many of the worlds fastest cars. In the 1960’s Honda had cars like the S800 which did have high output I4 making an impressive 70hp from .8liters but was still grossly underpowered and could reach 60mph in an agonizing 13.6seconds.

Also, I hope you don’t think Americans are incapable of making a high out put I4. The US is home to many of the finest engineering schools in the world. Many of our engineers go into aerospace, urban and military projects. If US auto manufacturers don’t want to hire a team of engineers to develop such and engine, then its not going to happen. Feel free to blame the manufactures but don’t blame the people.

3. Well, now, that's much better. Many engines have two ridges yet are still SOHC, hell, the D16A6 under the hood of my Civic has two ridges.

I never did blame the American People, with exception of those who go around being ignorant jackasses (the majority of people who do so seem to be American, as they seem to have an inferiority complex or something, that's why it may seem like I have a bias), and yes, I do blame the manufacturers for their own inadequacy in the modern world.

4. ok i wasted a lot of my time reading thru this entire thread and its just another bunch of hicks argueing that jap/euro cars are powerless compared to inefficent V8s.I just couldnt believe that any1 didnt bring up anything about some really good turboed I4s.If anyone here has read any import mags u would c that u can get the little 4 bangers to go pretty fast and make some serious HP for their size. ive seen instances where a drag car has been in the 900hp area.Im pretty sure they were runnin the GSR motor B18C1 w a MONSTER turbo and they must have been using race fuel like nitrous or methanol.i think the 1/4 time was in the high 8s or low 9s but that was still pretty amazing for little 4 bangin acura.that goes for the american I4s as well such as the Z24.i forget its stats ,which i have in one of my PAS Performace Auto and Sound mags, but it was under 10s in the 1/4 mile so i assume it had some mighty balls.both these cars were still FF but were clearly all out drag cars w the usualy stripped car , enormous slicks up front w little tires out back.obviously these dont compare to the Top Fuel Dragsters which run 4s and have 8000+HP which are amazing.
    Japan does make more kinds of engines than small I4s.The 2JZTT supra can make over 1000HP on pump gas and makes loads of torque and hp all over the rpm range.the nissan skyline also can make over 1000hp w a smaller sized 2.5L I6 compared to the supras 3.0 I6.subaru makes a 300hp Inline 2.0 Turbo 4 which also matches the 300ponies w 300ft of tq so that should shut up the argurment about no low end torque in jap cars.of course it needs the turbo to make all the power but who is honestly goin to expect a 2L I4 or ,even smaller, to make any where near as much TQ as a 4.0L+ V8 or even 7L.the mitso EVO is also another good example w 270hp w 280tq or so from a 2.0 I4.one thing that i do find embarrasing on the american side is that the mighty 5.0 Stang 1990 era only makes 215hp with 5 liters.sure its got loads of tq {300ft) but you have a engine more than double the size of a car such as this( type R) and u guys are matched for hp.im also sure that the stang weighs much more and the engine prob ways much more than the tegs and revs much lower.the only postive i c from the stang is the fact u can double the tq of the other guy.and all that stuff does add up to this car and many others such as teg type Rs, GSRs or H22A swapped tegs beatin this stang.
    I used the 1990 stang as an example for most american sports cars because it is fairly similar to most other stangs camaros and older american V8s and many people see them as fast cars, which they are.Im just truing to show that the jap cars also have some very fast cars that are also true sports cars.They have almost no super cars due to the fact that they are limited to 276hp to due a law over there.The Tommy Kaira ZZ2 is what id call a jap super car and it uses a modified skyline engine.i do have a high respect for american cars as well.ive been lucky enuff to have gotten a ride in a 500hp+ 1999 vette which was totally stock except for the 10g spent on the engine which to my knowledge has stock internals was still NA w no nitrous and had a custom intake manifold and i assume much more was done in all other areas. i never got to c under the hood but i know it wasnt a stock vette cause i had seen it before the work was done and it was much quitier b4.it had a monstrous set of balls and was very fast although the noise of the engine and exhause note would drown out any words said inside.i also love the look of vettes and they handle quite well.the Z06 is a prime example pullin 1.02G Lat acc.
    I made this post to show my opinion which is that a lot of american cars , excluding a few good cars, are not well engineered.Ford is extremely bad in that area. look at their reliabilty hp per liter handlin total hp and cost.i see the small and relatively powerful for their size jap cars a much btr car.i myslef plan on buying a 1994-1996 Acura Integra GSR in the next couple mnths or maybe a 1998 GSr if i can save enuff $$$ and i assure u that car will be quick.it wont be able to beat any 99 Camaro SS new Vettes or new Stang GTs but im sure i could give them a run for their money.Jap cars arent even my favourite as my name shows i truely love Ferraris and BMW comes in a close 2nd.Ferraris are truely the perfect car in everyway, the engineering the history and everything else makes them perform extremly well in every area.anyways ive said enuff, thats my thought on this topic.Peace!ok i wasted a lot of my time reading thru this entire thread and its just another bunch of hicks argueing that jap/euro cars are powerless compared to inefficent V8s.I just couldnt believe that any1 didnt bring up anything about some really good turboed I4s.If anyone here has read any import mags u would c that u can get the little 4 bangers to go pretty fast and make some serious HP for their size. ive seen instances where a drag car has been in the 900hp area.Im pretty sure they were runnin the GSR motor B18C1 w a MONSTER turbo and they must have been using race fuel like nitrous or methanol.i think the 1/4 time was in the high 8s or low 9s but that was still pretty amazing for little 4 bangin acura.that goes for the american I4s as well such as the Z24.i forget its stats ,which i have in one of my PAS Performace Auto and Sound mags, but it was under 10s in the 1/4 mile so i assume it had some mighty balls.both these cars were still FF but were clearly all out drag cars w the usualy stripped car , enormous slicks up front w little tires out back.obviously these dont compare to the Top Fuel Dragsters which run 4s and have 8000+HP which are amazing.
    Japan does make more kinds of engines than small I4s.The 2JZTT supra can make over 1000HP on pump gas and makes loads of torque and hp all over the rpm range.the nissan skyline also can make over 1000hp w a smaller sized 2.5L I6 compared to the supras 3.0 I6.subaru makes a 300hp Inline 2.0 Turbo 4 which also matches the 300ponies w 300ft of tq so that should shut up the argurment about no low end torque in jap cars.of course it needs the turbo to make all the power but who is honestly goin to expect a 2L I4 or ,even smaller, to make any where near as much TQ as a 4.0L+ V8 or even 7L.the mitso EVO is also another good example w 270hp w 280tq or so from a 2.0 I4.one thing that i do find embarrasing on the american side is that the mighty 5.0 Stang 1990 era only makes 215hp with 5 liters.sure its got loads of tq

5. this car suxx compared 2 BEAMERS!!

6. Funny, how the only BMW in its class is more expensive, but not as fast, nor as good quality.

7. The Ferrari 360 Modena revs to maybe 8500, it's not that strange...

8. The 360 Modena is also a) a Ferrari typical of producing supercars

And b) $120,000 +/- More

9. high revs ROCK

thats why i luv the rotaries too i guess

as mentioned previously, the high revs kinda makes up for the low torque.

10. i love hondas to death but i think i'm gonna agree with you saying how people act like their '89 honda civics are da s**t when i doubt they can beat my stock accord.. i have a '91 accord in which i love because i think it looks good and is extremely reliable but i'm not gonna try to fix it up and make it look like a formula 1 race car.. if you have an old civic or accord or any other car that is old, please do not put an alluminum spoiler on it and a nice paint job, don't waste your money on it, it's not worth it, people make fun of those cars and laugh at them. mainly, they laugh at you. but hey, do what you want..they're only laughing at you.

11. basically, you are comparing freaking 4000-5000cc engine with 2000cc engines. Just try to appreciate that with 2000cc honda uses vtec to produce 220hp which is commendable. of course due to lower displacement and no forced induction its torque will be less. Not saying large displacement engines is bad cos I do enjoy the low end torque of large cc engines but well honda has chosen the smaller cc but high rev way to produce hp let them be, it still is admirable.

12. (for every one that thinks that honda's are shit)A car goes fast from the pistons going up and down...you still still with me mate???and the faster the pistons go up and down the faster the car goes there for if a honda is redlining at 9000 rpm and a american car redlines at 6000rpm the honda will reach higher speeds from the pistons going faster. yea so lay off hondas there good cars.i would like to see an american car put out 400bhp out of a V6 2.9L(Honda NSX).

13. (for every one that thinks that honda's are shit)A car goes fast from the pistons going up and down...you still still with me mate???and the faster the pistons go up and down the faster the car goes there for if a honda is redlining at 9000 rpm and a american car redlines at 6000rpm the honda will reach higher speeds from the pistons going faster. yea so lay off hondas there good cars.i would like to see an american car put out 400bhp out of a V6 2.9L(Honda NSX).

14. If you dont now the MUSTANG come's whit a 4.7 V8 engin so maby you better chek your information in the futur.