Re: a masterpiece of engineering. american cars suck

Discussion in '2000 Honda S2000' started by BMW Fan 356, Aug 10, 2002.

1. uve got 4 Le Mans, but we've got the last 33 (and the 1st 40)...sorry, how could i possibly have missed out the best car ever made, Mazda's 787b in 1991 (u'll probably have guessed by now im quite a fan of rotaries...CHRIST what a noise)

if the street cammer had 658hp, how much did the race version have?...that site sounded like it was saying the race version had 658. The CAMMER is the best PUSHROD engine ever?...excuse me?

Ive got a video of Sammy Miller's "Vanishing Point" running 3.58 in the 1/4 at 386mph. Not hard to believe with 28,000hp up your ass. Thrust SSC is turbine, not rocket (minor correction)

You guys were the first on the moon?...only after Russia had the first man in space, only after u got the Germans to tell u how the things worked, lol, just kidding...i'd hate to take anything away from americas, and earths, finest achievement

2. Re:

The Ford Side-oiler, OHC "Cammer" engine is widely considered the greatest pushrod V-8, not engine, in history. I don't know how much horsepower the race version (without exhaust, accessories, etc) ran, but it was banned from American racing circuits forever before one season was finished.

If you have a video of a sub-4 second rocket, then I stand corrected (and in awe). My e-mail is BrownDoggie427@aol.com, send it to me if you get a chance. Thanks.

3. Re: Re:

I'm a liar? Stats, stats, and more stats. That's all you've got. No hands on experience with real cars in the real world. You read like you're just a jealous little prick. Couldn't expect much more from a 21-year old? puke who defends his country by sitting in front of a computer all day. I suppose it beats flipping burgers at BK all day or even peeling potatoes for the good of the U.S. Marines and this great country. I'll stick to my S2000 and you stick to your beater Trans Am or whatever other piece of shit Uncle Sam expects you to drive. F#ck you very much.

4. nah, uve got me totally confused...how can an engine with overhead cams be the best pushrod V8 ever when it ISNT a pushrod V8?

isnt that a bit like calling the Corvette the best Japanese car ever?

that rocket video seems to have disappeared, its definitely worth looking for though. Its got the body of a mid 80s Ford Mustang, with what can only be a cruise missile under the hood - 6 and a half TONS of thrust!!...pulled 19g off the start line, sustained 13g for over a second, averaged 7g for the entire run. Im not entirely sure the pilot was conscious at the end of the run though!

5. "Jaguar never raced the XJ13 at Le Mans, the project was cancelled after the car set the British national speed record of 163mph on a test track (before crashing). And of course we know the year after the GT40s last win came the 2-litre smaller but 130hp more powerful Porsche 917. (GT40 VS 917 is the defining comparison between america and europe)"

-I believe that the last wins from the Gt40s were achieved by the MK1 because the MK2 and Mk4 were not alowed to compete.

As for Lemans, Americas only seemingly real attempt at an overall victory was the Cadillac V12 northstars, which was more based around designing performance engines and setups than all around victory. That is why they have dropped out after their few years of development was up. As for class victories, look at the C5-Rs and Saleens.

You are right about NASCAR. All of the entertainment isn't from the racing; its from the crashes.

The Galaxy is a huge beast of an automobile (as the name implies). A great boulevard cruiser.

6. Re:

NC&P, such a violent post, so unlike you. How about you stay away from the USMC bit, since assuming you live in the U.S., it's your ass I'll be potentially defending with mine; and I'm Fire Direction Control in P 5/14, an artillery unit; cannoneer hardly constitutes potato peeler.

As for real life experience, my '79 Trans Am's faster than an S2000, and as long as no wanna-be FWD Japanese piece of plastic has ever beaten me in a street race, I'll be happy with my bandit "hick car." I've built my share of V-8's, even owned a couple FWD cars myself... one of them was pretty fast. I've worked on enough cars to know that every country has it's good designs and it's bad ones. For instance, until recently, Toyotas had weak cooling systems... Pontiacs have had weak rotary assemblies in the past (thank god I have a Oldsmobile motor).

In real life, old fixed-up street cars and beater often take the cake (or the finish line) over brand new sports cars, of every country. I watched a 396-powered Camaro make a Viper RT/10 look like a toy, embarrassed the hell out of it, I loved it. I've seen a turbo-charged AWD Eclipse take on a WS6 Trans Am and destroy that, by several car lengths at least. Later, that same car went neck-and-neck with my buddy's GTO until they both topped out at 145 mph; it was like Fast-and-the-Furious day at the races.

So yeah, I've had my share of real-life experiences... but this isn't real life, this is a glorified online car magazine, and we're the reader's comments. So really, all we HAVE are statistics, since everything else is either opinion or conjecture, so what do you expect me to do?

Chicane - my bad, scratch out that "pushrod" part, I got carried away. Yeah, the fox boddy Mustang's a good one for that sort of thing. Scary.

7. you are right
    american cars ...

8. YOU KNOW WHAT I HEARD? R!CE ROCKETS ARE LIKE A TAMPAX......EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE. GO AMERICAN OR GO TO HELL. GET A REAL CAR.

9. What the hell? I beat these cars every weekend on the strip and they spent more money on their cars than I did my own. I do this with my little 1.6 litre Honda. Torque alone does not win it anymore, what matters is who gets across the finish line first. HP/weight ratio is much more imortant.

10. "YOU KNOW WHAT I HEARD? R!CE ROCKETS ARE LIKE A TAMPAX......EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE. GO AMERICAN OR GO TO HELL. GET A REAL CAR. "

-Although I am the type of person who will pretty much only buy domestic cars (and trucks) it doesn't mean there aren't other amazing cars out there. Judging by your name it appears you like Ferraris. Although it is not American. Would you not consider a Ferrari to be a real car???

"What the hell? I beat these cars every weekend on the strip and they spent more money on their cars than I did my own. I do this with my little 1.6 litre Honda. Torque alone does not win it anymore, what matters is who gets across the finish line first. HP/weight ratio is much more imortant. "

-It all depends. Did you just slap a turbo on or hook your car up to the bottle? Compare any class of drag racing V8s to lower displacement. Ususally the big blocks will be faster because they have more engine to work with. However, I gather that you are talking a street legal daily driver that you run. Hondas are very light cars and by taking advantage of forced air induction or NOx you can defintely make a fast car. Though you must admit rear wheel drive is way more fun.

11. I find it funny that american car fanatics will ***** about how much easier high hp/l is to achieve with a smaller engine, but I still dont see any american 2 litres engines making close to 100hp/l.

And I will be the first to admit that american cars pretty much dominate the 1/4 mile scene. Reason being is that the 1/4 is pretty much all you muscle heads care about, and american cars are cheaper to make go fast in a straight line.

European and japanese cars are built for all around functionality styling and quality, you domestic lovers should not have a problem admitting this if you know anything at all.

12. "I find it funny that american car fanatics will ***** about how much easier high hp/l is to achieve with a smaller engine, but I still dont see any american 2 litres engines making close to 100hp/l. "

-I would only like to see that just to prove that the Americans could make one. Other than that, I don't really care. Give me a small block V8 any day.

"And I will be the first to admit that american cars pretty much dominate the 1/4 mile scene. Reason being is that the 1/4 is pretty much all you muscle heads care about, and american cars are cheaper to make go fast in a straight line. "

-I think I might fall into the 'muscle head' category but I love driving fast through nice winding roads. It is one of the most pleasureable ways of driving. I am not ashamed to admit that I like driving my vette through hard corners more than I like racing up the straights.

"European and japanese cars are built for all around functionality styling and quality, you domestic lovers should not have a problem admitting this if you know anything at all. "

-How it could it ever be denied. I am also impressed that you gave only a positve commnet and not one saying that American cars are not oriented toward these goals (which a lot aren't). I wish I had an M3.

13. "I find it funny that american car fanatics will ***** about how much easier high hp/l is to achieve with a smaller engine, but I still dont see any american 2 litres engines making close to 100hp/l. "

-I would only like to see that just to prove that the Americans could make one. Other than that, I don't really care. Give me a small block V8 any day.

"And I will be the first to admit that american cars pretty much dominate the 1/4 mile scene. Reason being is that the 1/4 is pretty much all you muscle heads care about, and american cars are cheaper to make go fast in a straight line. "

-I think I might fall into the 'muscle head' category but I love driving fast through nice winding roads. It is one of the most pleasureable ways of driving. I am not ashamed to admit that I like driving my vette through hard corners more than I like racing up the straights.

"European and japanese cars are built for all around functionality styling and quality, you domestic lovers should not have a problem admitting this if you know anything at all. "

-How it could it ever be denied. I am also impressed that you gave only a positve commnet and not one saying that American cars are not oriented toward these goals (which a lot aren't). I wish I had an M3.

14. They've tried, it worked, but barely. E.G.: 2.0 litre I4 Turbocharged, 205 hp......like I said, barely.

15. America has never been at war with Britain.
    Germany and Italy made great cars before America went to war against them and they were better than American cars then and still are.

There is no such thing as a terrorist state; only regime, group or individual.
    Although you could argue America as a "terrorist state", as the definition of terrorism is using fear and terror to obtain what you want.

16. Re:

Who gives a shit about what country a car comes from. It's cool to have pride in your countries automotive industrial ability but if the car is good lookin and have some balls atleast give it that much credit/respect instead of playing the "My country makes a faster one" game. You take the fun out of discussions that way. You wanna talk about hp/litre ratios or valves that's cool but this " your country makes shitty cars " BS (though in some cases I will admit it to be true)

17. Re: Re:

meh, I've seen worse come from Korea.

18. America was never at war with Britain? Who did we fight to get independence from? Look it up i'm sure its in a history book somewhere.

19. brown doggie
    My point about being military was aimed at the protesters and ignorant, uneducated hippies who realate our impending war on Iraq to the Vietnam War when, infact, even as a 21-year-old, I can easily point out the differences. I think it's bullshit that use their right to free speech, secured by the blood of their forefathers, to disrespect our military and the duties they enact. End of discussion.

even as a 21 year old... you can't ... you are a child still and can't multiply 7x12 without a calculator but you think you got God by his beard... well, sorry, you didn't.
    And, as for Iraq, where is the threat Americans were talking about as an excuse to attack Iraqi people? Nukes and stuff... And one more thing. Only ones who have really lounched a nuke on someone were..Americans...twice... So much for a nuclear threat to world peace.. The only ones who go into wars are again Americans... And why? To get their gasoline for less money so that they can buld even bigger engines with tons of BHP and so that the idiots like browndoggie could enjoy watching his great american cars spinning in circle for a half a day... You see, that is a problem with u guys. You only have either a circle or a straight line. RACE doesn't really exist in your vocabulary.. As I mentioned in another post somewhere, race is not from one traffic light to another in 5 sec. but from one part of the city to another, traffic lights or not, for a lot of money... And that's where s2000 kicks ass... And, uhmmm, I forgot something that I should add... What about Lancer Evolution VII (I don't yet know how the VIII handles) or Impreza STi ? .. That surely kicks ass of american cars...
    Everything is so similar in america... big bombs, big cars, big burgers, big people (read fat) that all resemble each other and ultimately are frustrated...
    I pitty you... but not too much.. cause' I don't like you..

20. Ur rite, samller engine doesn't mean easier to make high revving engine. Just look at the Ferraro 360 modena, Porsche 911 GT3, both of these cars have a 3.6L engine, and can rev over 8000rpm, and have a hp/l ratio of 100hp/L, and are these great cars? Yes, if u ask me. Also, both cars don't ahev a lot of torque when compare with their hp, both have less than 300lb/ft of torque, and yet, both can do 0-60mph in 4.3 - 4.4 sec, with a top speed of about 300km/h.

21. Quote From:
    Stud7
    New Member - 42 posts
    Karma - Neutral (0)

Why don't you move to Japan you #$%#in' r1cer. If you're American, quit dissin american power, no honda or acura or nissan or any other import will ever and I MEAN EVER COMPARE to any American Muscle car, go #$%# yourself, no seriously.

Japs did kamikazee missions in the wars, and now they make cars, go figure..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, first off... CALM THE **** DOWN B4 SOMEONE SLAPS YOU FOR SAYING SOMETHING SO FUCKIN' STUPID, YOU DUMBASS. And secondly, there are many imports that can beat American muscle. I can sum it up in one word. SKYLINE. Now I know you're gonna start a big arguement that's gonna end up with you secretly cryin' behind you're moniter, but the my point is clear. More examples??? Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Pagani are all import... so shut the #$%# up. Yes I do drive a Honda, and there is no reason in me makin' up lies about how many American cars I beat. I lose to most Corvettes, Firebirds and Vipers, but not by much. Considering my car is worth about $14,000 CDN including my sound system, that's pretty damn good.

22. You lose to vettes, vipers and firebirds in a Honda? What a surprise. Obviously there is no way 14000 canadian dollars (The Canadian dollar is pathetic) would be able to stand up to vettes and the like. Maybe in straight line with a ton of boost, but not out on a track which is always the favoured argument against american cars. Surely there are not many cars from any country that can stand up to Ferrari. Did you watch the last F1 race. That new car is smokin!

23. With regard to that hp/l thing, two things: one, who cares about that, all i care about is the overall performance of the car, the engine size and power are choices left upto the manufacturer, and two, one of chevy's designers, John Moss, has built a 700hp 2.4L 4cyl naturally aspirated, yes, its true, I have seen it, so Americans can build engines like that, they just choose not to produce them like Honda b/c customers who buy cars like the Corvette want a V8 rear wheel drive vehicle, not a small mid or front engine 4cyl with front or all wheel drive

24. No, no, no. You're not getting my point. If my $14,000 CDN Accord can come so close to beating the best put out by the US, that's pretty sad. I don't have nitrous installed, and my car isn't even close to the fastest put out by Japan. It's an Accord, for god's sakes. A family car, even if it is a 2-door coupe. BTW, I did watch the F1 race! I was watching my dreams run laps around me. Ahhhhhhhh...

25. Yes, u don't have to care, it doesn't affect the perforamnce of teh car. But u have to understand that many races limit displacement, and many countries collect more tax money if ur car has higher displacement. It's not hard to build a NA car with high hp/l ratio, it's hard when u have to meet the emission requirement, fuel mileage, realiability, and stuff like that. And u gotta admit that the S2000 satifies all these and yet, it has a high redline and high hp/L ratio.