Re: American mid-engined supercar?? WHAT A JOKE!!!

Discussion in '2002 Cadillac Cien Concept' started by tatan, Aug 9, 2002.

1. You are 100% right on this one....

2. LOL!! so true =)

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

3. Lambo's handle like boats, they are also very heavy cars. Viper's are extremely underrated in their handling abilities- they handle like a dream if you don't throw all the torque into the turn (ie slam the gas too early) well, whatever, I'm not going to go back and forth and desribe different car characteristics..

The point: The arguments are stupid and elementary. Some funny arguments I've seen made...

Japanese cars handle better than American cars. - Sure, some handle better than others on both sides. Stupid generalization.

America shouldn't go steppin' on Euro supercar turf =) - Why not? Can't we have our own super cars, why so defensive? It's not like the idea is patented.

American cars suck. - Again, stupid generalization. We're not rednecks in pickup trucks either.

Japanese handling + American power = European car - So that's the formula, huh?

Cadillac is doing some amazing and exciting things these days, not only are they competing with the european cars for the american dollar, but they have been trying to shake their age old reputation for being cars for old men for the past decade (with the Seville, and more recently the new Deville and Escalade models). I can confidently say they have been 'remembered' again and have regained the respect of American car lovers. Cadillac fulfills all of the basic needs of the real American driver - Looks, performance and comfort (in that order)

The Cien may actually see the light of day, the one you see is foam, aluminum and a golf cart motor. Comedian Jay Leno has donated money to GM in effort to push the first real Cien off the line (because, I'm sure, he wants one) and GM knows it needs to.

I don't think the Cien is designed to steal Ferrari's customers (yea, both of them this year =)) but is designed to create a new image for GM, and more specifically Cadillac. It is also there to provide something for someone looking into super cars, but trying to avoid buying European. Cadillac represents the top of the line in luxury, performance, and style in America - but still needs this message to be heard by all.

I'm not interested in how well it performs vs. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, or whoever else cares. The fact that it exists means so much more. Maybe I'm biased, I drive a 93 STS, my father drives a 2000 STS, his last car was mine, before that it was an 89 Deville, before that an 83 Deville, my desktop image is the concept roadster, and my winamp skin is the Escalade EXT. I'm excited about Cadillac, they are taking everything GM has done in the past few years and fixing it, redoing it, and replacing it, all by themselves.

That's my rant.

4. your mom's a #$%#ing joke asshole!

5. thank you buko for correcting the euro trash. Oils thicker than blood.<!-- Signature -->

6. American mid-engined supercar?? WHAT A JOKE!!!

Yankies should piss off this is European supercar territory. They should keep to buzzin' to themselves about front engined V8s and vipers while the big boys like Lamborghini make cars in the 200mph club.
    Forget the power for now, why buy this car when you could get a European Supercar with twice the image than this? This won't sell in the US beacause it's too European and a)doesn't have a V8 in the front or b) isn't a Viper.

I quite like the brave design though.<!-- Signature -->

7. Not True..it will sell =)
    It's way coolz most american and bang for buck. They won't spend more $$$ than they have to. They care a bit more bout performance than image.
    Honestly, I think this looks better than those round-lighted Mercs.
    And Lambo, well come on..you have to remember that they dun just make sports cars!! BUT FARM tractors!!

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

8. interesting how he's fixated on the viper. he should..it'll smoke a lot of the cars he mentioned....low-tech and all.

9. nicktraffic, I think you're wrong on this one. I think that this will finally be America's Lambo/Ferrari challenger. And BTW, the Saleen S7 already is a mid-engined American Supercar.

10. B.S.
    Are you a marketing genius or something? If not, i'd shut up. I'll say it again, Americans are not a bunch of rednecks and the Europeans are not the be all end all of cars. Same for all imports. People who say crap like that are just trying to comfort themselfs.<!-- Signature -->

11. #11 Buko, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Two things:

1) If I saw this car rolling down the street I would trip over my own feet staring at it. I may look edgy but it not like anything you see on a regular basis. I would drive it in a heart beat just for the look it is sporting.

2) Nicjktraffic the 200 MPH club is not limited to Euro's in anyway. you may wish to take a look at the following links

www.lingenfelter.com
    www.hennesseymotorsports.com
    www.saleen.com

all of who have been making 200 mph plus cars for quite a while. Now I know you are going to say well those cars are not stock from the factory. Let me just say this if Lambo, Ferrari or Porsche can produce more then 50K Diablo's, Modena's or 996's respectively in one year and sell them all I will eat my monitor. When they do that then they can call themselves a full production company. Till then they are specialty car manufacturer no different then Lingenfelter or Hennessey. Who's cars, by the way, are considered stock due to the fact that they have a lincenced agreement with Chevy, Dodge and Ford to get cars off the end of the line and further build them before they ever hit the dealer lots. So have said this I am expecting your eminant counter as to the "Shit" that American cars are and how I am some sort of dumb ass. Fire at will.<!-- Signature -->

12. A last word, even though I dislike Jap cars I feel that it most be said that they are the production kings. No one sells near as many cars as they do and some of them

3000GT VR4
    300ZX TT
    Skylines
    RX7 TT AWD

to name some of the more obvious ones can realy run some impressive times. Then if you are in to it you can star with the endless list of possible mods to push them even further. But that is enough pleasentry for them, my dollar is still best spent on a Corvette.

Buko out<!-- Signature -->

13. You make an excellent case Buko. I agree 100%

14. Those aren't the best sellers around the world.
    The Civic is one of them....Integra....Sentra....Corolla =P
    Those are best selling around the world =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

15. that so? give it time... this is a huge omen that Cadillac will become the "Standard of the World" again very soon... and id buy a Caddy if it could give me the same performance as a friggin lambo, which it certainly might!! besides... who cares what some euro prick thinks about an American domestic car, not like the primary market for it is YOU! Caddy probably dont. and considering the cars they're starting to design and produce, you'll be eating your words in a few years... the best is yet to come!<!-- Signature -->

16. Yep...evolution for GM has arrived =)

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from nicktraffic</i>
    <b>Yankies should piss off this is European supercar territory. They should keep to buzzin' to themselves about front engined V8s and vipers while the big boys like Lamborghini make cars in the 200mph club.
    Forget the power for now, why buy this car when you could get a European Supercar with twice the image than this? This won't sell in the US beacause it's too European and a)doesn't have a V8 in the front or b) isn't a Viper.

I quite like the brave design though.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Caddy was building V-16s back when Lamborgini was just a dream in a young mans head.

And you can talk about the Viper all you want, its won 4 FIA championships in a row, its old 8 liter PUSHROD engine beat the shit out of the teched out wind up toy, the 911.

Spyder757

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from nicktraffic</i>
    <b>Yankies should piss off this is European supercar territory. They should keep to buzzin' to themselves about front engined V8s and vipers while the big boys like Lamborghini make cars in the 200mph club.

I quite like the brave design though.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I agree that most american cars can't compete with any european car. But, saying that americans can't make a mid-engined supercar is an incorrect genralization. I will give you one example...THE GT-40!!!!!!!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

19. yes i agree with everybody beside's that euro prick i could care less about ferrari's with there little 5.5 l engine's i like big power and big torque if ferrari would make something along the lines of 8.1 or 7.5 it would be better but for power i always go for american i will stick with the trusty ol Vette or Viper thank you or maybe this thing but it is a lil out of my price range <!-- Signature -->

20. its funny that some say that americans should say off the 200 mark but come on what sports car cant go over 200. all gt cars are from factory and at the moment i beleave that the vette is in the points.

What we need is to get trucks up to speed. Try that in a forigen. Wait they only make what 5 trucks.

21. no matter what all of you have been saying, there are very, very few american cars that are in the same kind of class as ferrari, lamborghini, or mclaren...this is definitely one of them...

22. The Americans have to be carful what there doing. This car is one at of a hand full of Supercars they have made. But the GT-40 was not American it just had an American engine. But the GT-90 was American and we dont want the same thing happening to this car just a box of bits sitting in a showroom.

23. Why do cadillac bother, American cars have crap road handling, tink what it would be like with 700bhp, Americans should stick to the big Muscle cars and leave the british and Italians to the supercar industry.<!-- Signature -->

24. Cool car! A little weird but I accept.<!-- Signature -->

25. I agree with Batman, remember the GT-40, the GT-90 (it's a shame that Ford didn't released that car, maybe too much for mortals...), Those Can-am Chaparrals (GM V-8), Vector (Lamborghini Powered). And others forgotten by many, like the Prototype Aerovette (60's Corvette with mid-mounted engine).
    But on the other hand, I love Corvette, Viper, Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Road Runner. Muscle cars are freakin' awesome.
    Every time we talk about cadillac, cars like the '54 Eldorado comes to our minds, I think an american mid-mounted supercar is not so funny (as it delivers 750 horsepower), but a different idea (weird some will say).