Re: better than a maclaren f1?

Discussion in '1994 Jaguar XJ220 S TWR' started by Slick Mo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I guess I will have to change my earlier stance to Yes, this is a better car since there is no such car called the MAClaren. There is a MClaren that I've heard isn't a bad car.<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from deuginthesky</i>
    <b>The Jag may be faster than the F1 , because it's designed with Venturi effect.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    jag has nothing to do with 'venturi action' or 'venturi chassis'.vice versa,mclaren does.even guru errs..i'm vexed<!-- Signature -->

3. argh the mclaren f1 is better than this. all you see are numbers did anyone forget what this car was SUPPOSED to be? all wheel drive and a naturaly aspirated v-12 but they #$%#ed it up and this is just a scrap together bin of parts. in fact this car does not handle very wel well. i thnk it looks cool and definitely i'd want it but you forget the mclaren's suspension is 1) LIMITED it actually could easily make 700 hp or 750 hp 2) SUSPENSION is better f1 of course 3) the top speed of the mclaren f1 is actually unknown because they ran out of track to test it i'm guessing its actually 255 or so. this car is great but no comparison.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from blaze4eva</i>
    <b>argh the mclaren f1 is better than this. all you see are numbers did anyone forget what this car was SUPPOSED to be? all wheel drive and a naturaly aspirated v-12 but they #$%#ed it up and this is just a scrap together bin of parts. in fact this car does not handle very wel well. i thnk it looks cool and definitely i'd want it but you forget the mclaren's suspension is 1) LIMITED it actually could easily make 700 hp or 750 hp 2) SUSPENSION is better f1 of course 3) the top speed of the mclaren f1 is actually unknown because they ran out of track to test it i'm guessing its actually 255 or so. this car is great but no comparison.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Did anyone see what this car actually did despite the fact that it has a V6 and only RWD? This car did claim "fastest in the world" for a few years. Also, it won it's class at the LeMans, and the last time I checked the LeMans course is not just a straight track, so handling is a factor. In spite of the fact that this car does not have power steering, the handling is not severely hurt. I'd love to have either one of the cars (although I will only own an XJ220) but I don't think the McLaren is worth it's price tag.<!-- Signature -->

5. Pereat mundus et fiat justitia-i'll try to amend the public opinion with some established facts,or was i wearing through my pants in aviation university for nothing?it's of interest, the xj220 has absorbed all possible high-end solutions exactly from aviation such as turbo-supercharging (helps to take about a second to go from 30-60 mph for example),the sandwich panels of thin aluminum sheets with a bonded honeycomb aluminum filling (inner liner of fuselage),the under body panels made of carbon composites (like propeller blades),the low nose and chin spoiler restrict air from passing beneath the car,two venturi tunnels cause the speed and pressure of the air to drop tremendously while the trunk spoiler reduces drag.

All of it looks like study aids for young aviators.
    Another sore spot is its 6 cyl engine and rwd.Let's take a look.

When all of us where sitting yet in sand-boxes with dirty panties, the Jaguar turned the project of xj220 over to JaguarSport Ltd, a joint venture between Jaguar and Tom Walkinshaw Racing.And TWR engineers(and not participants on this web board) found that it was impractical from a production viewpoint.The greatest disappointment was that the V12 and four wheel drive train were simply too heavy for the car to accomplish its mission. A decision was made to switch to a JaguarSport V6. The drive train was reengineered as a rear-drive transaxle but conventional hinged doors replaced the cantilevered gull wing doors.

It's time to calm down finally and to take it all for granted.Just pay homage to engineers and no more word!
    From my part,i'll devote my last greenback to GimmeaJaguar for his dream of possession of this car.
    <!-- Signature -->

6. I would say this car is fast because it has an equal drag co-effecient with the F1 but the Jag has a better power to weight ratio. The Mac is 3.5:1 while this Jag is 3.4:1. I would take this car because I just like it better. I like the idea that this car could be faster and it has a puny 3.5 V6 while the Mac has a big 6.0 V12. If I had an Xj220 I would mod it myself. Maybe 700hp, new brakes, tighter suspension

7. I appreciate that 2man. I will not let the Lord take me home until I buy one of these cars. If He does, there better be one for me there. The only reason I remain in college (aside from the fact that I must have something to be an elitist about) is money. I'd like to get married, I'd like to have little towheaded elitist children, but I'd take an XJ220 over a whining nag and little snot-nosed brats.<!-- Signature -->

8. the xj220 is the world best made 6 cyclinder super car.
    Face it, i dont think there is any competitor in this category,

9. The Mac is quicker and would win in a race but value for money and look the Jag is best.

10. handling bewtween the F1 and the jag are about the same.
    money jaguar is better.
    i read in a jaguar article, that there is this jaguar fanatic. that bought about 20 jaguars.
    the xj220, xjr-15, the d-type, e-type, xk120, and even bought the XK180 on auction.
    he changed the trannies on the xj220 and the xk180, and replaced it wit ha smg 6 speed. the results showed the xk180 was awesome going 0-60 in 4.5 and had superb handling.
    though the xj220 0-60 increased by a little bit.
    it was so weird, that on the track, the xk180 won!
    the xk180 does have a 186 mph top speed.

but again, though the mclaren does have a slightly faster 0-60 and top speed.. but for value, and for HP per litre, i'll go with the jag

11. i dont think so ......... are you all stupid ........ 2 different leagues .......

1) Mclaren F1 is the best drivers car in the world ... soooooo good handling and jag is exzactly the opposite the main fault with the xj220 was its handling

2)0-60 2.9 and 3.3 and mclaren has done over 230 mph

3)Mclaren is naturally aspirated none of this turbo lag shit ..... pure 600 + hp 12cyl power

Its got a Bmw engine what can i say

12. but it's a turbo six... not a big 12!
    i'll take 3 XJ220s over the McLaren any day for the same price!

the Jaguar actually been known for its handling
    which styles have been copied to the McLaren.... same designer, don't forget!
    the XJ220 is a far better car for it's time
    The McLaren coming out couple years later got an advantage to newer technologies.
    You change the tranny to the XJ220, to a 6 speed, which some had modified already, and you get yourself a respectful car going 0-60 in under 3.0
    With a 6 cylinder, not an 12. i emphasize
    the original Jaguar xj220 design was for a natural designed v12.
    but perhaps you want produced models..
    fine
    XJR-9
    XJR-12
    XJR-15

the XJR-15 is still produced, the McLaren F1 isn't...

McLaren ditched BMW, because the engine stinked in reliability.
    why did you think McLaren said good bye to BMW, and went with the Benz after a couple of years.
    as you said, McLaren has a BMW engine...
    therefore Jaguar is better

13. all you have to do is put in a 6 speed twr manual transmission and pumps the 0-60 to under 3.0
    if you want bigger turbos, sure why not, overkill the mclaren if you want to.
    as a 3.5L 6 cylinder engine
    even without it's supercharger makes the BMW M3, look well, pathetic.

14. hell no....my McLaren F1 LM kicks ass!!!

15. a 6 speed, and slightly modified xj220 destroyes the McLaren F1 LM.
    but yet again,
    please don't forget they come from the same designers.
    the xj220 has always been aheard of the McLaren.
    the Mclaren only caught up, when Jaguar / Ford cut the program when racing labeled the xj220 illegal to race.
    though it was street legal, go figure on that one

16. the Jag is a awesome car, and it has massive topspeed for a v6. but the Mclaren F1 is the shit. its my favourite supercar ever. and it looks so good. I wouldnt have any car rather then the mclaren F1 and it has a 24 carret gold plated engine!!!!!

17. dont forget this car is tuned by TWR the original XJ220 can only do 340kmph thats 20 less then this one

18. 2000 TVR Cerbera Speed 12 WILL ROLL THIS UP N SMOKE IT

19. this car...

this car was the fastest production car ever before the F1, not this tuned one but the base XJ220. This is better looking then a F1 in my opinion, not to say the F1 is bad looking.

20. an XJ220 modded V12 (XJR-12) engine would destroy both British cars mentioned, the TVR and the McLaren.
    One owner in Europe with 1 of the remaining 280 XJ220 cards did the job, by putting in the 7.0 V12 Jaguar engine with 720HP and a 6 speed TWR transmission. was raced against a McLaren, and the Mclaren got destroyed.

21. Indeed I don't see how any one can like this and not the Mclaren or
    vice versa?lol

22. true, and for the most part designed by the same people.
    Though, the front of the car offers the biggest change, and the doors in terms of how they open.
    However, most people would say the Exterior of the XJ220 is sexy, while the McLaren is sleek and fast. in terms of overal reviews of the cars. but its almost like, you just have to life one or the other. Just like Coke'a cola and Pepsi. Both sodas, and similar, but they're very different.

23. the jaguar is an excellent car but in my opinion nothing stacks up against the mighty F1.