Re: Camaro haters beware!

Discussion in '2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R' started by Gm4life, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Camaro haters beware!

I know all of you will say, "Why would this Camaro guy come to the Cobra R website and bash the Mustang." I'am not going to bash it I just want to give my opinion on this Car.

It is a beautiful car and cootos to Ford for this beauty. it is the nicest looking Mustang ever. (But Probably not the best made) I only like the old 60's stangs and the new generation. That's it. The rest are ugly as hell. (I know some Camaros look like hell too)

My beef is with all the people who bash Camaros on the looks. You can't say a car sucks because of the way it looks. The chevelle is the best muscle car in history and looks pretty crappy. It comes down to personal taste. I know deep down inside all Ford lovers like the looks of the Firebird better than the stang and the camaro.

Another thing, you can't compare a Saleen mustang to a Camaro. Only to corvette. I know some of you want to compare them because you need a reason to prove the Mustang is better than the Camaro. The z06 is faster then MOST saleens. I seen it with my own eyes.

I have respect for the Mustang and SOME of the people who drive them. You also got to respect Camaro for its history and power. The rivalry is what makes the two cars the best muscle cars of all time.

2. Im sorry chevelle will get dusted by 428 cobra jet 67 Shelby Mustang GT-500!!!!!!

BTW your completely wrong about Saleen and I can prove it to you if you like but saleen out ran the Z06 in 1/4 mile and road race so sorry. Deep down inside I think the GT-500 and the mach1 and F body stangs are best looking cars but Trans Am looks way better then the SS or Z06. Also the Saleen smoked those cars too.

Saleen Pulled a 12.1 on street tires.

I also like to add there is nothing like the old Big block and small block Chevs they #$%#ed up when they stopped main them. Oh well I guess thats why the gonna stop the Comaro casue the Mustang V6 and GT AND Cobra smoked it in sales.

3. The mustang beat it in sales because it was a lot cheaper. More people buy them beacuse the average Mustang owner can't handle the GM power. At least in the camaro you get what you pay for. When the Camaro and Firebird come back people will be saying "Mustang Who?"

4. #4 30210psiAC, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/
    http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/index.htm

Why buy a car that has a 10'000 mile radiatior and transmission break down? BTW with the GT 2001 Pi heads and intake brake through innovation If you added a simple 6 psi blower to the GT or a 8 psi blower to the V6 you can drop times better the a SS or Z28.

I have driven a z28 and a SS since my brother HAD one. Its slow I can run a SS. I see more SS's in the junkyard then I see of Cobras and mustangs in general! lol

So when you say you pay for what you get why wouldI want to pay 26'000 dollars to have to at one point soon replace my radiatior and tranny? Waste of time.

Just have to ask also what break throught technology does a SS have? Let me guess nothing since it is a de tuned Corvette motor. GT are gettin to be pretty much on the same level as Z28's and it only has a 4.6 liter 289 in it. Like I said get a blower and you will run it. I can show you some pics of some cars from MM&FF that can run a SS and Z28 with stock motor and a blower upgrade or even NOS.

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 8mydust</i>
    <b>The mustang beat it in sales because it was a lot cheaper. More people buy them beacuse the average Mustang owner can't handle the GM power. At least in the camaro you get what you pay for. When the Camaro and Firebird come back people will be saying "Mustang Who?" </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What kind of crack are you smoking? Oh...my bad, you must be another 13 year old new comer...fcking cherry. Most people that buy mustangs mod it to the point that they are changing tires practically every couple of months because of the increase in HP. Mustangs and Camaros are similar priced and are similar in performance. u fckin tulip

6. #6 SSfearSS, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 30210psiAC</i>
    <b> http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

Why buy a car that has a 10'000 mile radiatior and transmission break down? BTW with the GT 2001 Pi heads and intake brake through innovation If you added a simple 6 psi blower to the GT or a 8 psi blower to the V6 you can drop times better the a SS or Z28.

I have driven a z28 and a SS since my brother HAD one. Its slow I can run a SS. I see more SS's in the junkyard then I see of Cobras and mustangs in general! lol

So when you say you pay for what you get why wouldI want to pay 26'000 dollars to have to at one point soon replace my radiatior and tranny? Waste of time.

Just have to ask also what break throught technology does a SS have? Let me guess nothing since it is a de tuned Corvette motor. GT are gettin to be pretty much on the same level as Z28's and it only has a 4.6 liter 289 in it. Like I said get a blower and you will run it. I can show you some pics of some cars from MM&FF that can run a SS and Z28 with stock motor and a blower upgrade or even NOS.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Um, no. SS's, first off, are far from slow. We beat Ford for the past ten years in performance. Doesn't it seem silly you would need a 6 psi charger to keep up with a STOCK Z28? After all, the GT is supposed to be the enemy of the Z. Furthermore,m I have never seen an SS in a junkyard. They are collector pieces and have high value. GT's are NEVER going to be at the same level as the Z. Ever. The Cobra, yes, but the GT will always be at Maxima level.<!-- Signature -->

7. #7 Mantronix, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SSfearSS</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 30210psiAC</i>
    <b> http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

Just have to ask also what break throught technology does a SS have? Let me guess nothing since it is a de tuned Corvette motor. GT are gettin to be pretty much on the same level as Z28's and it only has a 4.6 liter 289 in it. Like I said get a blower and you will run it. I can show you some pics of some cars from MM&FF that can run a SS and Z28 with stock motor and a blower upgrade or even NOS.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Um, no. SS's, first off, are far from slow. We beat Ford for the past ten years in performance. Doesn't it seem silly you would need a 6 psi charger to keep up with a STOCK Z28? After all, the GT is supposed to be the enemy of the Z. Furthermore,m I have never seen an SS in a junkyard. They are collector pieces and have high value. GT's are NEVER going to be at the same level as the Z. Ever. The Cobra, yes, but the GT will always be at Maxima level.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That is true, only Cobras can compete with the Z28 or the SS, not the GT. The GT is underpowered in comparision to its Chevy rival. The new mustang GT is going to have 285HP. The GT is still a great performer for its price tag.

8. SS a colectors car ?? LOL !

Camaro has one of the "worse resale values" in the universe !!! LOL !

Nobody will collect this...<!-- Signature -->

9. He's right. The Camaro does have a pretty bad depreciation when used. I will admit the Mustang is almost the same though.

Here's my take on why the Mustang lived and the LS1 twins died:
    - Mustang has a comfortable interior with inuitively placed controls. GM's interiors in the two are cheap looking, feeling, and the seat is too low. I'm a short guy, so for me I sit so low in a Camaro that it's hard to see what's around me.
    - The Mustang is generally more eye-pleasing than the TA or Camaro to most people. I'm sorry, but the Firebird is one of the ugliest cars I've had the displeasure of ever seeing on the road. (Trans Ams are better, in my opinion, although the rear-end still lacks. The Ram-Air Trans Am's front end looks good, though, as do the Camaros, especially the SS's.)
    - The Mustang costs less, both purchase-price and insurance-wise.
    - A lot of people, when the test-drive the LS1 twins, feel like they have no control due to the amount of power. Traction control HELPS this a little.
    - While it's HARD with a Mustang to drive in the snow, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to drive a TA or Z28 for most drivers. I've learned that even RAIN is not my friend, and I have 105 less horses than an LS1.

Yes, a stock Z/28 or SS Camaro will outperform a stock Mustang.

The reason I'm a Mustang owner, though, was cheap performance with a huge aftermarket. I have a very moddable platform.

In fact, with almost an engine which is nearly 20% smaller in displacement, by the mere act of getting 99+ heads for my 96 and getting a valve-job and a port and polish ($1500) I can run with a NEW stock SS or Z28. Not bad for a car I bought for $10,000. I won't have the awesome suspension system or 6-speed transmission of the WS6, but that all can come later, as my budget allows.

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lido Iacocca</i>
    <b>SS a colectors car ?? LOL !

Nobody will collect this...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Watch. In 20 years, what will be worth more? A 35th anniversary Camaro or the 2003 SVT Cobra? I can tell you that the supercharger will be spinnin dust in 20 years. Meanwhile, the TRUE muscle, pushrod\cam, will be as strong as day 1. The Camaro has always been worth more than the mustang has. Retail and resale.<!-- Signature -->

11. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SSfearSS</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lido Iacocca</i>
    <b>SS a colectors car ?? LOL !

Nobody will collect this...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Watch. In 20 years, what will be worth more? A 35th anniversary Camaro or the 2003 SVT Cobra? I can tell you that the supercharger will be spinnin dust in 20 years. Meanwhile, the TRUE muscle, pushrod\cam, will be as strong as day 1. The Camaro has always been worth more than the mustang has. Retail and resale.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Who the hell is going to pay any amount of money for a 20 year old car..mustang or camaro. in 20 years...the pushrod engine will be nearly 40 years old..and the mustang cobras engine will be 20 years old. You really would say anything to try to revive a corpse. Your reasons are like giving mouth to mouth to a corpse..a waste of breath.

12. Your arguments dont hold a lot of ground either. "Who's going to buy a 20 year old car?" I dont believe that it would be fair to compare the price of the 2003 Cobra to the 2003 limited Camaro SS simply because the camaro is a limited, of course its going to be worth more in 20 years.

I have also ridden in both mustang and a firebird and I found the mustang interior to be most unappealing. When I sat in the back seat I hit my head on the roof where as in the backseat of the firebird I did not. As for quality they both had fairly simple functional interiors, I did not see one having superior quality than the other. Maybe you should just give up your biases and look at the other end of the spectrum.

13. Too bad a compact car with a turbocharger can smoke all the cars you guys are talking about, due to lighter weight. These cars are dinosaurs, relics from an age of cars which rely on high displacement to do anything.

14. I have to disagree, There is a difference between cost and worth. It costs more, but they aren't worth more, vintage Mustangs are much more collectable than Camaros and the fact that the Camaro costs more was it's ultimate downfall. True, they were faster, some say nicer looking (Matter of Opinion I dont think so) but you must realize, in our capitalist society, money talks, and thats what it all really boils down to.

15. whatever. bring your turbo charged compact to the local dragstrip and line up. granted, you can get any car to go fast, but to make a typical import run with the real cars is going to cost outragoues amounts of money.

16. This mustange is great, no arguments

17. Not a bad car for 55,000.. but when will Ford and the rest of the American companies catch up when it comes to engine building. I don't care that this engine is huge for the HP that comes out of it or anything, it's EXTREMELY heavy for an engine. When Ford starts building their engines out of Aluminum instead of Cast Iron, I might start to respect the engineering that goes into these cars.

18. most of the new ford modular engines are aluminum. 4.6, 5.4 etc. this uses an iron block to better handle the high stress loads placed on it.

19. And doesn't it seem silly that you would need 5.7L or more to compete with a 5.4 and a 4.6 back then???

20. The only damn thing silly here, is that other people waste their time trying to change other people's opinion. Who cars if someone doesnt like a car that you love. Who cares? Why waste your time, and just love the cars you love, and hate the cars you hate, and let other people think what they want. Personally Im not fond of many Ford products. Sure I like a couple Mustangs, and sure i like a lot of camaro's vette's and chevelles. That doesn't matter, its my opnion. Go ahead and yell at me for this one, but i dont think that Ford makes very good cars. My opinion, not yours.

21. exatly tru and great post....but ehhhh the chevell ls6 is UNTOUCHABLE by another stock car from that era....but it looked pimp....my dad has a ss and its lowered 2 inches and got 18 edelbrock wheels....great car shhould get some pics up

22. have you seen the stats for 5.4L now?
    you can see more of the ford 5.4L engine in the gt40... 500hp for you. Ford is definetly moving forward.

23. good God, 99% of everyone that posts here is an idiot...

1st off- the Cobra R is nice, its a stock car from Ford even if it has a whole slew of aftermarket stuff. Ford/SVT made it in their factory as far as i know.

Saleens/roushs suck. theyre not real Fords. theyre custom aftermarket tuners no matter what theyre "listed as" . same with SLP. the mustang has been on the bottom for 10years, and it was on the bottom all thru the 70s and had a lead in the 80s. the 428 Cobras werent even Ford cars, so STFU about them. theyre Shelbys creations, capice. anything will fly with a 428 BBF wrapped in foil. the ZL1 camaro and LS6 454 chevelle were FACTORY GM cars that were solid 12s cars. no stock mustang straight from Fords factory ran that.

BTW- the 4.6 is a POS, its a far inferior engine to the LS1, hell, even to the LT1, but the new iron block is quite nice. im going back to my boosted buick now...

24. ok first off lets get this straight...the cobra r puts out only 385 hp with a supercahrger a vette puts out 350 the zo6 405. neither one has a supercharger. now to the guy comparing the zo6 to a saleen...the saleen should win, its a tuner car. try comparing the saleen to the new lingenfelter. also the 454 chevelle wasnt untouchable. im not bashing it; i love chevys but the l88 corvette put out 600 hp and ran 11 flat in the 1/4.

25. Uh, since when is the '00 Cobra R blown. The '03 Cobra uses a blower, but the '00 R is all motor.

As for the whole LS1 vs. Modular V8, Z28 vs. GT, SS vs. Cobra debate. Seriously as someone stated earlier, many of you are idiots.

To the guy who said something about the Chevy needing more cubes to keep up with the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L V8's, you sir, are being an idiot.

When Ford introduced the modular V8 into the Mustang, it was their choice to go down in displacement. The modular V8 was introduced AFTER Chevy introduced the L98 into the 3rd gens and the LT1 into the first 4th gens. They could've chose to do something with their 351 V8 instead. They are the ones who made the mistake. It irritates me when people ***** about not being able to keep up because it's unfair that the other guy has more cubes. Stop crying, your car is just slower so admit it. People always ***** when they lose. The whole hp/l issue is pointless. Yes it determines volumetric efficency of an engine, but lower displacement engines that put out high amounts of power tend to be very stressed. That's why a lot of manufacturers use iron blocks in place of aluminum ones on their performance cars (Honda S2000, BMW M3, '03 Ford SVT Cobra). GM is able to retain the all aluminum construction of the gen III small block V8 without worrying about reliability. The same thing can be said about guys with big cube motors who ***** about losing because the guy next to him had a turbo on his straight 6 or something. Different ways to make power that's all.

And as for the whole Gen III small block vs. Modular V8 issue. I wish Ford would use the 5.4L V8 in the Cobra instead of blowing the 4.6L V8. It seems that Ford's 4.6L V8 can only be tuned to beat the Small Block Chevy by adding a supercharger. That's pretty sad actually.

And as for the reason as to why the Mustang outsold the Camaro, it was because Ford designed the 4th gen Mustang as a "secretary's car" just like the original, and then worried about performance. That's why Mustangs often seem like a half-assed attempt at performance when compared to the F-Bodies. The 4th gen Camaro's and Firebird's were built with one thing in mind, performance. That's why F-Bodies still had that hump in the passengers side footwell to clear the cat converter. Build the cabin around the underpinnings instead of redesigning the underpinnings to fit under the cabin. I will admit that visibility sucks ass in a Camaro compared to a Mustang. I've had the privilage of driving a lot of performance cars while working for my uncle in his garage, and 3rd and 4th gen F-Bodies and Mustangs were commonplace. I've also owned an '83 Firebird 305 5 speed and have a friend with a '90 Camaro. If I weren't so damn concerned with performance, I could see how a person could justify buying a Ford instead. The 4th gen Mustang was designed and built to appeal to a broad crowd, then Ford focused on performance. Until the introduction of the '03 Cobra, the Mustang has always been a few cubes short, lacking one more gear and not quite there in terms of matching up with the F-Body twins. It took the addition of a supercharger for Ford to finally get past the F-Body twins in the performance department.

In any case, the small block chevy is by far the most versitle motor on the planet. That's why everyone uses it, but I like new stuff too. I gotta hand it to Ford of Australia, that 4.0L turbo straight 6 sounds sweet. Wish they brought that here.