Re: Corvette VS NSX

Discussion in '2003 Chevrolet Corvette 50th Anniversary' started by Gamer55, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Quote From BMW M:

"It's no wonder the vette recieved a poor rating in Consumer's Report Auto Magazine in terms of RELIABILITY. I have a friend who also regrets paying $50,000 Canadian for his vette. He told me that he's had problems with the gear box, alternator, and the brakes and that he thinks that GM put the crappiest quality parts and materials into the car. He recommends buying an S2000, Boxster, and an M3 instead of the Vette. He loves the vettes awesome handling and performance but he says that its simply not worth the mechanical headaches and the huge pay cheques he's had to forfeit to his mechanic."

I'll agree with BMW M on this one. As much as I love the Z06's raw power and good (although numb) handling, I would NOT want to buy the car, instead I'll lease it. I'll let the poor guy interested in used Z06 deal with the headaches. As far as C-5 being reliable enough to win the Endurance races like ALMS, Rolex 24Hrs. and the LeMans series, I'd agree, but I'd like to note that the level of reliability on the production C-5's (Z06 included) is not the same as the race car version. So to the Vette fans out there, I'm sorry to burst your bubble.

2. Sorry i was on a business trip im back now, this forum is so emtpy without me:

yo shut the phuk up you imports hatas. THe only reason NSX is expensive is because of the tarifs placed on jap made rides. Otherwise i bet the nsx would cost half as much and if it cost half as much GMC would be out of business. The U.S is doin a good job protecting its half assed domestic companies.

Second of all why the r!ce rocket hating ? I represent a r!ce rocket team, TEAM CCCP, pictures comming soon, my friends civic (stock 106 horsepower) looks like a sticker/spoiler r!ce burner, but when he shows up on track and burns his rubber so hard asphalt peals off, no one challenges him. And all it took is NOS and 4500 bucks in engine reinforcement, BYE BYE BYE corvette, OR z06

P.S if u see a civic/integra pull up with blue flames shooting out of its exhaust (s) you better step aside or be embarassed by a 1.6 L car. AHAHAHAHHAAHAH SUCKERS<!-- Signature -->

3. Aright here is my friends Civic, a four door civic that took my NSX to school, and this weekend will go up against a Cobra Mustang GT, SS camaro and my NSX again... TEAM CCCP FOR LIFE:

Proud Member of Team CCCP
    Easily Embarissing American Muscle Cars since 1999<!-- Signature -->

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>Aright here is my friends Civic, a four door civic that took my NSX to school, and this weekend will go up against a Cobra Mustang GT, SS camaro and my NSX again... TEAM CCCP FOR LIFE:

Proud Member of Team CCCP
    Easily Embarissing American Muscle Cars since 1999</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A Cobra Mustang GT????
    Is that like the Grand Prix SE GTP?

Anyway just wanted to ask, why do need to go up against stock cars? Why not try racing a modified Mustang, Camaro, or Vette?

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>Sorry i was on a business trip im back now, this forum is so emtpy without me:

yo shut the phuk up you imports hatas. THe only reason NSX is expensive is because of the tarifs placed on jap made rides. Otherwise i bet the nsx would cost half as much and if it cost half as much GMC would be out of business. The U.S is doin a good job protecting its half assed domestic companies.

Second of all why the r!ce rocket hating ? I represent a r!ce rocket team, TEAM CCCP, pictures comming soon, my friends civic (stock 106 horsepower) looks like a sticker/spoiler r!ce burner, but when he shows up on track and burns his rubber so hard asphalt peals off, no one challenges him. And all it took is NOS and 4500 bucks in engine reinforcement, BYE BYE BYE corvette, OR z06

P.S if u see a civic/integra pull up with blue flames shooting out of its exhaust (s) you better step aside or be embarassed by a 1.6 L car. AHAHAHAHHAAHAH SUCKERS</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Whats he done to it? And what about a road course?

And while you still have no cred, import haters are jackasses. But the NSX is plain expensive anyway you cut it.<!-- Signature -->

6. ----------- Quote from way2fast4u--------------
    And all it took is NOS and 4500 bucks in engine reinforcement, BYE BYE BYE corvette, OR z06
    -----------------------------------------------

What does this 'badass' civic run? And what do you drive, b/c I'll bet you aren't 'way2fast' for me? <!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>
    <b>Sorry i was on a business trip im back now, this forum is so emtpy without me:

P.S if u see a civic/integra pull up with blue flames shooting out of its exhaust (s) you better step aside or be embarassed by a 1.6 L car. AHAHAHAHHAAHAH SUCKERS</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Tarriffs, okay that acounts for about 6 grand of the sticker, what about the other 84000 dollors, whats that dealership markups.

Civic that wants to race anything he see's- Let your friend try it, he can run 140 for 6 seconds on his go juice, I can run 163 till i run out of gas and thats all motor. Pretty bad when a Nitrous pumping heavily modded civic will get its ass chased down by a 4200 pound land barge. 1/4 mile performance, isnt gonna help you when the car behind you has a lightbar. Oh and burning rubber, yeah really hard in a FWD car with less than 2000 pounds total. You want wheel burning tire smoking power try turning a positraction rear end with ZR rated high grip tires on it when the back end of your car weighs as much as the whole F'ing civic. Oh and incase you didnt know since your obviously not one of those people that actually knows about engines you just spout off numbers, posi means that the power going to those rear wheels is cut in two and distributed equally as apose to most RWD where they just torch one wheel with all there power.

Oh and team CCCP....what you've been reading Tom Clancy novels, thats USSR in scyrilic so please pull another one out of your ass like that. <!-- Signature -->

8. WAY2FAST since you have just with your last two post completely distroyed your credibility, what else are you going to do? Business trip huh? what business your fathers? haha

9. I still maintain that C5 is crap quality. I know a car-company that also uses them for endurance-racing and they've told me about the millions of mods I should do just in order to have something that'll last more than 2-3 years. For example the gearbox/differential overheats very easily which will sooner or later give you some expensive repairs, I've already noticed that several times my gearbox-temperature is into boiling mode.
    Update from post 2 pages back I think it is, today my F45(electronically adjustable suspension) gave up on me, stuck in softest mode, and also the Active Handling is completely done for, as soon as I push it the littlest bit through a curve the damn thing locks so heavily that it's impossible to drive decently for several seconds, had to turn it off.
    FYI, I use it for hobby-racing so the wallowing&locking is 100 times more annoying than on a normal road, still doesn't explain the massive problems with EVERYTHING. If for example the engine was having problems, or the gearbox, or the suspension then I could accept it as a one-off but now practically all things are falling to pieces and it's barely 1 year old. I will definitely get rid of it before it hits 3 years and factory-guarantee stops, get something with better reliability like BMW or Porsche or Honda.

10. I have a 1988 Vette, still runs perfect.....

Only major repair job done to it, I had to replace the clutch......

You must of got a lemon, because if you take good care of the car, it will last you a long time.

11. i agree man, i have a 1998 z28 and i have had no major problems with it except for the clutch, droping it so often will do that. And my father has had no problems with is 99 convertable neither have any of the other guys in the vette club, except for my das suto lights which never want to work wuite right. The tranny in the vette is essintially the same that is in the f body, andc i have had zero problems with so far, none, and i teat it like hell. you are also the first person whom i have heard bitching about the active handling, all that i ever hear about it is prase and more praise, hmmm. I really think that you have a lemon.

12. Hey your right his top speed is awful, but it doesnt matter his 1/4 mile time is amazing. Mullet i drive an NSX and im way too fast for you son.

And lastly NO SHIT CCCP is Cyrillic for USSR, IM RUSSIAN YOU DUMB S.O.B and all the people in my "team" are russian. And i dont care if you guys BELIEVE me or NOT, that means nothing to me, yes its silly and controversial of me to be bashing an overrated legend, however i want all of you to realize that although corvette is an AWESOME performer, its performance can be easily duplicated, for half the price... And its reliability can be outdone, by a car such as NSX<!-- Signature -->

13. can you do both? nope

14. way2slow4you is a friggen fairy.he dont know shit waht a real car is he just bitches about how jap crap is better than american cars but what he doesnt know is that the stupid imports are modded to be able too compete with a STOCK corvette you heard me STOCK!!<!-- Signature -->

15. way2fas, how do you know your too fast? Lets see some numbers sonny, I doubt your 82 civic will run w/ my maro, you can pretend to drive an NSX, and if you actually do, ok, but what does it run? maybe i should change my name to "way2fastforway2fast4you"<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b>lots of info i see is posted here let me just point out one thing: this isnt meant to be raced!! the z06 will definitly whoop acura and honda s2000 they only have a 250 hp engine anywayz... thats half of corvette bhp (almost) i say this car cud even whoop a nsx..... i dunno why that crap is priced so high anywayz corvette is much better and only 50k</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I guess you didn't read any of my previous posts. Frankly I don't care because I'm not some sort of magical messenger who constantly feels the need to spread wisdom. Read my previous posts and maybe your chance at understanding price tags will ascend.<!-- Signature -->

17. BMW i thinhk that there is more to the price tag than what you say. It also has to do with marketing, i have heard nothing from you or anyone else to prove that the NSX has 30,000 dollars more quality and reliability than the vette. I believe that most of the price is the due to good marketing by honda and the fact that they did an incredible job creating demand for the differently engineered NSX.

Everyone seems to think that the nsx has more luxury than the vette yet no one has been able to say what it has that the vette does not. No one has been able to give proof of the "much greater" quality and reliability of the NSX either. I personally think that the marketing and the greater demand created by honda is what created such a difference in price. The difference in materials is not that great, nor is the quality and reliability gap. And no one can seem to prove differently.

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from PABSTmullet</i>
    <b>---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from BMWM
    Thank you for further proving my point on the ignorance of American Muscle fans. Boy the ignorant idiots don't stop piling up in this forum do they? See my point Guibo, sparetire, and bigrob? Besides you three, every American muscle fan that has made a post in this forum, has done it in the manner which I condemned in my lengthy post on the previous page. This idiot gets mad when I say he doesn't understand the meaning of the word "r!cer" and he proves his idiocy by giving the wrong definition. Hey moron, a "r!cer" is ANY car (not just japanese) that is modified aesthetically to make a car appear fast rather than doing engine mods on a their car. R!cer mods include custom paint job, wings, and stickers. And you're a complete idiot if you think that the NSX is a r!cer and that 290 bhp is weak. Just to show you that r!ce is not "limited" to japanese cars, here are some American r!cers better known as "POTATO CARS".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

You are the ignorant one. The term r$ce was coined because of JAPANESE cars, which is why they chose r$ce, b/c japanese people produce and consume alot of rice. How do you know what the real definition is? B/c your rich friends told you? Whatever, in my opinion anything w/ jap crap under the hood is considered a r*ce burner, thus I call it r%ce. American's can't be r%cers by my definition, b/c they have American engines under the hood. There is no real definition of r%ce, stupid mother#$%#er. Look it up in the dictionary, the only definition will be regarding the food. MY definition of r#ce is any car with jap crap under the hood, i'm sorry yours is more 'correct' b/c you own a 50,000$ car. Asshole. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

LOL! I got a great laugh out of that one. And once again you're helping my cause by showing the "ignorance" of a typical American Muscle fan.<!-- Signature -->

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sparetire</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WAY2FAST4YOU</i>

Whats he done to it? And what about a road course?

And while you still have no cred, import haters are jackasses. But the NSX is plain expensive anyway you cut it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And the Corvette isn't expensive? You guys all act like the Corvette is so cheap that every avg. person can afford one for $50,000 USD. A car with poor reliability and plastic interior isn't exactly what I call a bargain at $50,000. And I just visited the Manheim auto auction today and even revved up 3 Corvettes that were being wholesaled. All 3 had "cheap" plastic interior. My empirical evidence is valid for those who doubt the interior inferiority of a Vette. If you don't believe me, then go see for yourself. <!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ch666</i>
    <b>I still maintain that C5 is crap quality. I know a car-company that also uses them for endurance-racing and they've told me about the millions of mods I should do just in order to have something that'll last more than 2-3 years. For example the gearbox/differential overheats very easily which will sooner or later give you some expensive repairs, I've already noticed that several times my gearbox-temperature is into boiling mode.
    Update from post 2 pages back I think it is, today my F45(electronically adjustable suspension) gave up on me, stuck in softest mode, and also the Active Handling is completely done for, as soon as I push it the littlest bit through a curve the damn thing locks so heavily that it's impossible to drive decently for several seconds, had to turn it off.
    FYI, I use it for hobby-racing so the wallowing&locking is 100 times more annoying than on a normal road, still doesn't explain the massive problems with EVERYTHING. If for example the engine was having problems, or the gearbox, or the suspension then I could accept it as a one-off but now practically all things are falling to pieces and it's barely 1 year old. I will definitely get rid of it before it hits 3 years and factory-guarantee stops, get something with better reliability like BMW or Porsche or Honda.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It's no wonder the vette recieved a poor rating in Consumer's Report Auto Magazine in terms of RELIABILITY. I have a friend who also regrets paying $50,000 Canadian for his vette. He told me that he's had problems with the gear box, alternator, and the brakes and that he thinks that GM put the crappiest quality parts and materials into the car. He recommends buying an S2000, Boxster, and an M3 instead of the Vette. He loves the vettes awesome handling and performance but he says that its simply not worth the mechanical headaches and the huge pay cheques he's had to forfeit to his mechanic. <!-- Signature -->

21. #221 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BMW M</i>
    <b>How do you that the person claiming to own a Corvette on that webpage is not a farce either? The guy I quoted posted in msn carpoint and the chances of him owning a Corvette are equal to that of the guy you quoted. You can't prove that the guy who gave his opinion is not a frustrated vette owner and I can't prove that the guy who claims the vette is more reliable than the M coupe is wrong. You used a useless opinion and so I rebutted your argument plain and simple.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    OH MY GOD!!! THIS IS SO FUNNY!!!
    How do I know the guy has it? Look at the rest of his website. Who would claim to have all of those BMW's and the Z06 (with pictures of himself at the track, no less) and didn't own them?

But here's how I REALLY know: He used to be a regular at the Bimmer.org/Roadfly forums. We followed his exploits with his M Coupe and transition to the Z06 earlier this year:
    http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/z3-coupe/archives/forum.php?postid=146220&page=1

You can search for past threads; he now goes by the name Z06RENEGADEFORMERLYKNOWNASKWILLMORTH. Or something like that.

And if that link doesn't work, just click on the pic below.

And THAT'S how I know. Now, your turn. Let's see your rebuttal and your guy's proof that he owns a Z06.

22. "yo shut the phuk up you imports hatas. THe only reason NSX is expensive is because of the tarifs placed on jap made rides. Otherwise i bet the nsx would cost half as much and if it cost half as much GMC would be out of business. The U.S is doin a good job protecting its half assed domestic companies."

Ok... Let's think about this. GM is the largest car manufacturer on Earth. They didn't earn that buy making cheap unrealiable cars.

23. I never said GM is the WORST. GM ranks higher than Ford in terms of reliability but lags behind when compared to VW, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, and Nissan. I have nothing against GM and I love how they have such a diverse lineup of vehicles that cater to the demands of every auto seeker. But you must face the fact that their reliability could be much better (especially if you're paying $50,000 USD) for a Z06.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you saying that the Ferrari's are worth the extra $200,000 for a little more luxury and in the 360 almost identicle stats? I sure don't think so.

24. Interesting posts... although big rob is going to be ignored, he obviously is upset with me for being right. And comparing NSX with the Viper is basically the same comparison as the corvette, the viper is outdated technology with 2 welded together 5 cylinder engines, and with knobs that predate dinasaurs, last but not least, the viper's reliability is even more questionable than that of the corvette.

What makes a car exotic is not performance, because a souped up civic is not an exotic car... What makes an exotic is a car that is very rare and stands out from all other cars, it is original and technologically advanced... See how this statement does not describe the corvette, but does the NSX? END OF STORY!<!-- Signature -->

25. The reason why GM is the biggest and most powerful automobile maker in the world is because of 3 reasons. 1) They have by far the largest line up of different automobiles from the damn metro to the vette, thus selling a lot more automobiles, quantity wise. 2) Their cars are exetremely affordable, thus there is a larger market for GM Cars, every one of their automobiles is cheaper than that of its respective competators. 3) Probably the most important reason, Just out of Nationalism and Patriotism an American is going to buy an AMERICAN made car, not because its better but because its made in the USA (and mexico AHAHH).

P.S. I still havent seen 1 individual in here proving that the vette is a better vehicle than the NSX... 260 posts later, we're still at a stale mate.<!-- Signature -->