Re: Do not compare a peice of garbage (Z06) to this please.!!!

Discussion in '2002 Porsche 911 GT2' started by Ferrari4ever123, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>and the fact it was born on the ring, and that its based from a company that designs some of the best race cars around (GT3). And the fact its got a rear engine layout and rear drive basis it better for around a track. I'd put my money on the GT2. No doubt.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Midengine is best, then front engine, then rear engine. Weight distribution is very important. I wouldn't say that this car was born on the Ring. Don't forget that it evolved from "The People's Car". That's why it's rear engine. If rear engine was so good, many other cars would be rear engine. Do you really think that you're smarter than the designers at Ferrari, Jaguar, and Mercedes Benz?<!-- Signature -->

2. I like the Vette, it's a great car. And it does deserve praise. Personally, i thought this car would be a much better performer speed/acceleration wise. But i do give kudos to porsche, they are a great company.

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mpg</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>and the fact it was born on the ring, and that its based from a company that designs some of the best race cars around (GT3). And the fact its got a rear engine layout and rear drive basis it better for around a track. I'd put my money on the GT2. No doubt.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Midengine is best, then front engine, then rear engine. Weight distribution is very important. I wouldn't say that this car was born on the Ring. Don't forget that it evolved from "The People's Car". That's why it's rear engine. If rear engine was so good, many other cars would be rear engine. Do you really think that you're smarter than the designers at Ferrari, Jaguar, and Mercedes Benz?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Do you think you are? Mercedes doesn't even produce a mid engine car to my knowledge... look at what the majority of cars are, front engine. Yeah, mid engine design is better, but isn't a mid engine car underdesigned if it fails to keep up with a rear wheel drive front engine car? <!-- Signature -->

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from hsckris</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mpg</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    Midengine is best, then front engine, then rear engine. Weight distribution is very important. I wouldn't say that this car was born on the Ring. Don't forget that it evolved from "The People's Car". That's why it's rear engine. If rear engine was so good, many other cars would be rear engine. Do you really think that you're smarter than the designers at Ferrari, Jaguar, and Mercedes Benz?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Do you think you are? Mercedes doesn't even produce a mid engine car to my knowledge... look at what the majority of cars are, front engine. Yeah, mid engine design is better, but isn't a mid engine car underdesigned if it fails to keep up with a rear wheel drive front engine car? </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Benz's race cars are midengine, as well as the CLK-GTR street car.<!-- Signature -->

5. Two things I would like to say...
    1.) The Z06 isn't garbage but is actually respectable.
    2.) It shouldn't be compared to the 996 GT2 cuz the 996 costs a lot more and is hand made and is German. No offense but its proven that American Cars cannot compare to German cars.<!-- Signature -->

6. cant we all just get along.<!-- Signature -->

7. I doubt it<!-- Signature -->

8. I know a man that has both z06 and this, and those aren't even the top cars he's got. I'll have pics of me with them in bout two weeks on here (going to mexico tomorrow for a week) for all u nutz who think i'm a retard, hey, what color shirt would u like me wear?<!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Plano1820</i>
    <b>I know a man that has both z06 and this, and those aren't even the top cars he's got. I'll have pics of me with them in bout two weeks on here (going to mexico tomorrow for a week) for all u nutz who think i'm a retard, hey, what color shirt would u like me wear?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Purple.<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    <b>Two things I would like to say...
    2.) It shouldn't be compared to the 996 GT2 cuz the 996 costs a lot more and is hand made and is German. No offense but its proven that American Cars cannot compare to German cars.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    That's pretty funny Adolf.<!-- Signature -->

11. It's all opinion really. I think America makes some great cars as does Europe. If I had enough money for a C5 'Vette, I'd get one for sure. If I had money for a 911, I'd probably take it over the 'Vette; however, mainly for more luxury and to show off rather then for performance purposes. <!-- Signature -->

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mpg</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    2.) It shouldn't be compared to the 996 GT2 cuz the 996 costs a lot more and is hand made and is German. No offense but its proven that American Cars cannot compare to German cars.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    That's pretty funny Adolf.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Two things.
    1.) It is a fact that German cars are better then American.
    2.) I'm not Adolf Hitler just cuz I like German cars better. I live in America and am proud to be American except most American cars just suck.<!-- Signature -->

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mpg</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    That's pretty funny Adolf.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Two things.
    2.) I'm not Adolf Hitler just cuz I like German cars better. I live in America and am proud to be American except most American cars just suck.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You don't understand the difference between fact and opinion. I don't care where a car is made, as long as it's a good car.<!-- Signature -->

14. Well said, mpg.<!-- Signature -->

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mpg</i>
    2.) I'm not Adolf Hitler just cuz I like German cars better. I live in America and am proud to be American except most American cars just suck.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You don't understand the difference between fact and opinion. I don't care where a car is made, as long as it's a good car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->No Actually I do idiot. Its a fact German cars are better then American cars in Performance. Go look up specs for you best American cars and the same specs for the best German car. Now your best American car is an opinion I'm asking of you to go look at. Its your favorite. Not everyones in the world. <!-- Signature -->

16. Man, brand loyalty is just blinding people on these forums. I am definitely partial to Porsche, but that doesn't mean I refuse to acknowledge other car makers' accomplishments (i.e. Chevy, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). Guys, please do some reading before posting ridiculous statements. The Z06 *can* beat the 996 Turbo on some tracks, and the 996 Turbo owns the Z06 on other, i.e. Nurburgring. And, for the record, the '02 Z06 averages 0.98g on the skidpad, while the 996 Turbo averages 0.96g. Not a great difference, really, considering a) the 996 Turbo has AWD, b) 4WD cars are notoriously bad at cornering when compared to RWD cars, and c) the 996 Turbo weighs 375 pounds more than the Z06. The 911 Turbo was not meant to be a track car. It's a high performance street car that can be driven in absolutely any weather condition, be it hot, dry, rain, hail (ouch... dents), snow or ice. Try taking the Z06 to the 911 Turbo on a rainy day... there would be no competition. I've used this example before, but I never get tired of it: Remember the Ferrari F40 and the Porsche 959? In the dry, the F40 would easily pull away from the 959, leaving quite a big gap in between the two cars, regardless of the track configuration (long and sweeping or short and full of hairpins). However, when there was the slightest hint of moisture on the ground, the 959 absolutely shamed the F40, even being underpowered and overweight.

L8R

<!-- Signature -->

17. Bravo, that was one of the most intellegent posts I've read all day.<!-- Signature -->

18. Look...
    I'm not calling American cars bad and all cuz I actually like some (Z06, Vipers) but all I'm trying to say is that if you compare a stock Viper to a Stock GT2...Tell wouldn't the German car be better then the American??? I like Z06's and most American cars but its just that I like German cars more.<!-- Signature -->

19. Some of you guys need a reality check. Just because Car A is faster than Car B, does that mean Car A is better? No. And why not? Because when you say something is "better", you're making a value judgement. And with value judgements, you have to consider what kinds of COSTS went into making a particular kind of car. Sure, the GT2 would show its heals to the Z06 at most tracks. But is it as compliant for regular road duty? (Remember those solid suspension bushings.) Is its powerband as tractable as the Z06's? Does it COST anywhere remotely as much as a Z06? Not by a long shot. What if it guzzles 8 more liters per km? Is it still "better"?

If it were just as quick as the Z06, just as fast as the Z06 around a track AND it cost just as much, then I'll agree it's a better car. But then, judgements about how a car looks are just as valid in a comparison between these two cars. No matter how many numbers you spew out, it doesn't make one iota of difference to the guy who happens to think the GT2 looks like ass. Not that I think the GT2 looks like ass, it looks quite good IMO. But I can understand a dissenting view.

Regarding the F40 vs 959 thing, the F40 had no ABS and lacked any kind of driving aids.
    C&D did a comparo between the regular C5 and a regular 996 Carrera 4 a few years back to test their active handling systems. They tested both cars through a wet, twisty section of racetrack, with systems on and then systems off. You'd be surprised at the outcome.

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TylerDurden</i>
    <b> Man, brand loyalty is just blinding people on these forums. I am definitely partial to Porsche, but that doesn't mean I refuse to acknowledge other car makers' accomplishments (i.e. Chevy, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). Guys, please do some reading before posting ridiculous statements. The Z06 *can* beat the 996 Turbo on some tracks, and the 996 Turbo owns the Z06 on other, i.e. Nurburgring. And, for the record, the '02 Z06 averages 0.98g on the skidpad, while the 996 Turbo averages 0.96g. Not a great difference, really, considering a) the 996 Turbo has AWD, b) 4WD cars are notoriously bad at cornering when compared to RWD cars, and c) the 996 Turbo weighs 375 pounds more than the Z06. The 911 Turbo was not meant to be a track car. It's a high performance street car that can be driven in absolutely any weather condition, be it hot, dry, rain, hail (ouch... dents), snow or ice. Try taking the Z06 to the 911 Turbo on a rainy day... there would be no competition. I've used this example before, but I never get tired of it: Remember the Ferrari F40 and the Porsche 959? In the dry, the F40 would easily pull away from the 959, leaving quite a big gap in between the two cars, regardless of the track configuration (long and sweeping or short and full of hairpins). However, when there was the slightest hint of moisture on the ground, the 959 absolutely shamed the F40, even being underpowered and overweight.

L8R

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->VERY VERY WELL PUT!

21. Altough the ZO6 does beat the GT2 on paper, the GT2 is more reliable, the parts higher-quality and everything is just dandy. In a magazine I recently read (European Car, I think) It said that the Porsche GT2 is one of the most responsive cars ever. Everything feels as though it were made from the same peice of metal. "Driving the GT2 is like having a good relationship, you always know where you are". Also, Figures on a sheet of paper mean nothing. Also, nobody here has mentioned braking. The GT2's PCCB brakes would lay waste to anything Chevy could throw at it. Put Simply, speed isn't everything.

22. The Z06 beats the GT2 on paper? I think you have your facts mixed up. Other way around. I haven't even seen many competitions where the Z06 beats the 911 Turbo. I'm sure Guibo or mpg will be willing to fill me in, though.<!-- Signature -->

23. As I've said, the GT2 is in another league performance-wise. For the price (and compromises), that's expected. The jury is out on the reliability issue. The car is less than 2 years old!

Regarding 996TT vs. Z06, it's close. Close enough that on any given day, at any given track, they could very well swap places simply due to track variables and who's driving.

Pic #1 (above) is from R&T's "Sibling Rivalry" article of Jan '01. The driver for all cars was Steve Millen. The track was the 2.5-mile roadcourse of Thunderhill Park. That was the old Z06, even.

Pic #2 is from C&D's SuperTuner Challenge of last year. The Z06 driver was GM test pilot John Heinricy. The 996 Turbo driver was 24 Hours of Daytona winner and Le Mans and IMSA veteran Hurly Haywood. This year's test showed the 996 Turbo coming out ahead.

24. Pic #3 is from Motor Trend's November '00 High Speed Shootout. Check out the braking numbers, from 60 and from 100.