Re: Dominating sub-compact

Discussion in '2001 BMW M Coupe' started by GaNGsTaZo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. You guys should also think of the amazing handling on this car!

2. Dominating sub-compact

You see this car? This car marks the end of Japanese domination of the sub-compact sector. Honda, Nissan, Acura, Toyota.....it's all over. You want something to go out and beat down rice burners? This is the car. Awesome! I think I read somewhere that BMW was toying with the idea of a sub-compact hatchback, with the I6 from an M3. Destroy you!

3. hmmm..so much more horses than S2000 and only 0.2 seconds quicker 0-60...does it suck or wat...

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MugenDomeNSX</i>
    <b>hmmm..so much more horses than S2000 and only 0.2 seconds quicker 0-60...does it suck or wat...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> the S2000 has TONS more RPM. that is why the M coupe doesnt accelerate as quick. think before you speak.<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MugenDomeNSX</i>
    <b>hmmm..so much more horses than S2000 and only 0.2 seconds quicker 0-60...does it suck or wat...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What are you talking about .2 seconds. The m coupe actually beats the S2000 by more than a second. S2000 - 5.8 seconds. M coupe - 4.6 seconds. According to CAR AND DRIVER. so I don't see what you are smoking.

6. Tons more rpm...power to Honda engines

according to motor trend, S2000 does 0-60 in 5.2...why dont u read more, and ask yourself what you are smoking.

4.6? good thats more like it. with that much power I think S2000 would still go quicker than 4.6....

In fact the earliest NSX did 5.2 seconds as well with 270 hp. With 290hp it regularly does 4.7. So I think S2000 with just 280 hp will already outdo the new M coupe, thank you very much.

7. One of the best handling FR cars.

8. Does not handle better than S2000.

9. The S2000 is the most unimpressive peice of rubbish I have ever seen! Who cares if it can rev high? That's only because of its teeny engine. High revs mean shit if the quarter mile is done by the time they kick in. How much torque does this car have? None. You import fiends like to lie to yourselves. Motortrend rates the S2000 at a 0-60 of 5.8! The M-Coupe would utterly destroy it. Plus, at the end of the day you'd still have to deal with the fact that you're driving a Honda. That's sad.

10. You are sad because you cannot change your driving style to adapt to a more demanding driving characteristic.

And for your information Motor Trend rated it at 5.2 0-60. A 2.0 that can come that close to a 3.2's performance is some damn fine engineering.

In addition, you are even sadder because you are a simple badge snob.

Too bad for you.

11. I've been a dormant reader all this while until this MoronDumbASX who knows nothing start barking mad. I can't sit here reading all his nonsense that's why I'm here creating an account and replying the post.

From the thread I can tell you know nothing about cars and you pro Honda simply because you're Honda fans. All of you out there want the facts? I'll give the you the facts.

First of all, what is power without control. One can have 500hp on the tap but without a excellently built chasis, superb suspension setup, perfect weight distribution and dynamic maneuverability, what can you do except burning rubbers? Take a bike for instance. If you put a Honda CBR900 with 130+hp vs. M Coupe on a track, do you think the bike with a

What good is an engine with lotsa horsepower but shy on torque? Can the S2000 cruise at 1500rpm in 5th and pull all the way to redline without jerking? Tell me if you want to drop to 2nd and rev up to 7000rpm to pass a Scania 114.

I doubt you have ever driven a BMW let alone owning one. The Ultimate Driving Machine that's what they call it. The figures published by BMW is very prudent. The M Coupe will beat the S2000 flat, no doubt about it. Be it acceleration, handling and chasis balance. Be in one and you'll know what I mean. The M Coupe will out handles the S2000 simply because of the more dynamic chasis. The S2000 chasis will flex in corners since it's a roadster while the M Coupe will always be sure footed.

To me, the M Coupe is SEXY. Check out those front fenders which give the car a wide stance. Those rear fender that bulges out to hide the offset 9" rubbers.

If Honda is more superior that BMW, why do they have to build the S2000 to beat the Bavarian? The M Coupe is an all rounder - speed, handling, driveability and safety. I think I've said enough and to say more will only make you wiser which is not my intention. I'm not against Honda.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ritchie</i>
    <b>I've been a dormant reader all this while until this MoronDumbASX who knows nothing start barking mad. I can't sit here reading all his nonsense that's why I'm here creating an account and replying the post.

From the thread I can tell you know nothing about cars and you pro Honda simply because you're Honda fans. All of you out there want the facts? I'll give the you the facts.

First of all, what is power without control. One can have 500hp on the tap but without a excellently built chasis, superb suspension setup, perfect weight distribution and dynamic maneuverability, what can you do except burning rubbers? Take a bike for instance. If you put a Honda CBR900 with 130+hp vs. M Coupe on a track, do you think the bike with a

What good is an engine with lotsa horsepower but shy on torque? Can the S2000 cruise at 1500rpm in 5th and pull all the way to redline without jerking? Tell me if you want to drop to 2nd and rev up to 7000rpm to pass a Scania 114.

I doubt you have ever driven a BMW let alone owning one. The Ultimate Driving Machine that's what they call it. The figures published by BMW is very prudent. The M Coupe will beat the S2000 flat, no doubt about it. Be it acceleration, handling and chasis balance. Be in one and you'll know what I mean. The M Coupe will out handles the S2000 simply because of the more dynamic chasis. The S2000 chasis will flex in corners since it's a roadster while the M Coupe will always be sure footed.

To me, the M Coupe is SEXY. Check out those front fenders which give the car a wide stance. Those rear fender that bulges out to hide the offset 9" rubbers.

If Honda is more superior that BMW, why do they have to build the S2000 to beat the Bavarian? The M Coupe is an all rounder - speed, handling, driveability and safety. I think I've said enough and to say more will only make you wiser which is not my intention. I'm not against Honda.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Exactly my thoughts!

13. Im afraid I have driven a BMW, my roommate has an e36 M3, and to tell the truth, I dont think it is anything too thrilling. Even an Integra R is far more thrilling, and will outhandle an M3...I have driven both, and I will tell you i prefer the R anyday. Speedvision touring is also a proving ground for this.

The M3 is a very honest machine, while the R and S2000 are much more raw, peaky machines, but in no way inferior. To challenge larger engined rivals and at least be on the pace, and if driven by the right driver, almost certainly faster... thats is not bad engineering at all.

All rounder BMW's might be, I do not deny that. Therefore it will suit more common driving tastes.

The S2000 is no inferior machine..in fact I doubt you have driven one. Flex? you must be joking.

Yes I do like shifting down to second, because I know how to downshift properly and match revs...maybe you dont..thats why u hate it.

The Honda may not suit everyone's tastes, only those who like high revs, accurate shifting, and a challenging drive will like it. People who need easy machines like BMW, I dont care...that is your taste.

I guess you guys are the common driver...the ultimate machine? hog wash..it is ultimate for common drivers...that is what it is. For those who know how to drive fast, but properly, the BMW is not enough...sorry.

BUt if you want to have a 'pimping car' for a daily cruise around town..you are right..the BMW is more practical.

14. #14 Wheelman, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Don't call me a badge snob. I don't hate all Honda's, I just have a general distaste for them. Honda's engineering is inferior, and their casting system for their engine parts is terrible in comparison to most other manufaturers. Their cars are plastic and their interiors reek of cheap materials. I have a friend who leaned on his 2000 Civic's front fender and dented it.

I will, however, admit that the Integra Type-R is the best FWD performance car you can buy, and is of far better quality than other Honda's. But it is the only hand-built car in their line up.

Look at what you're arguing: the Type-R and the S2000 are the best cars that Honda has to offer, and the M-coupe will be the smallest BMW made, and probably not that expensive compared to other BMW's. Sure, Honda has that travesty they call the NSX, but it costs far too much for its marginal performance. It is in the price range of the Z8, which utterly blows its doors off. If you put an S2000 up against an M3, it gets rocked. Remember, the M3 goes up against a Z06 and only losses by milliseconds.

Check the link below, it gives you Motor Trend's rating of the S2000 which is, as I have said before, 5.8 seconds 0-60. Perhaps you should research your arguments. M Coupe rules, S2000 pootzes.

http://www.motortrend.com/nov99/hondas2000/specs.html

15. That's right, you said it. You drove a M3 not a M Coupe. How can you compare cars from 2 different class although they share the identical chasis. So you think that the M3 was not thrilling. Let me tell you why. The M3/M Coupe chasis are so well balanced that even with an engine producing over 300BHP, it still feel sure footed. The S2000 or the R according to you are thrilling simply because chasis balance is zero thus easily provoke. And you think you are a better driver when you could bring it back under control. The fact that the M chasis limit is so great that a so call better driver like you has no capability not to mention courage to explore its ceiling. That's when you think the Bimmers are honest, you are short on provoking the Bavarian. "Ultimate for common drivers" is for you. Those who have driven the M chasis and power drifting through a hairpin followed by a chicane will understand exactly what I'm saying. Maybe you ought to listen to what the Japanese journalist commented on these cars.

In short the M chasis is faster than it's engine. C'mon, let's face it, the M Coupe is of a different league comparing the S2000; just like you and me.

Note: The proper term for "how to downshift properly and match revs..." is Heel-Toe.

16. If it doesn't have copious amounts of horsepower, rear or all wheel drive, no more that two doors, and a manual transmission then it's not worth the scrap metal it's made of. Call me close-minded, but I am a driving enthusiast. Note; that's DRIVING enthusiast. I am not the everyday automotive enthusiast that travels to various car shows and loves every hunk of shit that the manufaturers vomit into their line up. Cars should be for driving, and driving only. Not for talking on the cell phone, holding your coffee cup, checking your e-mail, pinpointing yourself on a GPS console, or showing everybody how bad your taste in style and preformance really is. If you're not going to drive a car, and I mean really drive it...... you might as well take a bus and save yourself the cost.

I took an interesting course about a year back. I would highly recommend it to any real driving enthusiast. It's called the BMW Driver Excellence program. It costs quite a bit, but by the third lesson they have you piloting an M3 through a high speed test track. All technical performance and engineering aspects aside, when you finally reach the envelope of the M3's lateral acceleration as you give yourself whiplash powershifting out of the apex of a decreasing radius chicane you'll shut your mouth right quick. I don't think that an idiot who has driven POS Honda's all his life can ever speak about a real performance car, especially if he has only driven one on the street barely breaking the speed limit. For a person who really loves to drive, a Honda will never suffice.

17. #17 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MugenDomeNSX</i>
    <b>And for your information Motor Trend rated it at 5.2 0-60. A 2.0 that can come that close to a 3.2's performance is some damn fine engineering.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Uh, I don't think MT has even tested an '01-'02 M Coupe yet, have they? C&D has, and they got 60 in 4.8 seconds:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/December/200112_shorttake_bmwcoupe.xml

But seriously. Who the hell races to 60 mph and then stops? C&D got the Coupe to 130 mph in 20.5 seconds. The S2000 is waaaay back at 32.7 seconds. Ouch.

Does the car below look pimpin' to you? It placed 7th at this year's 24 Hours of the Nurburgring. 2 places ahead of the S2000.

LOL, the only place an Integra Type R will beat a 3-Series (not an M3) is in Speedvision Touring racing. The ITR is a near track-ready club racer (it was intended to be) while the BMW's in that class start out as luxury cars.

Here's what Edmunds.com had to say about the ITR:
    "But given a choice to either stay at home in a comfy chair reading the Type R's press kit or drive the Type R around in Los Angeles rush-hour traffic, most of our staff would choose the couch potato route. The engine's VTEC activation point happens at 5,700 rpm (versus the GS-R's 4,400 rpm), meaning that the tachometer's needle needs to be pointing north to achieve any serious forward thrust in city traffic. Keep the engine revs high, and people stare at you with faces that read, "What are you, a moron? You're gonna blow up your engine doin' that."

The stiff suspension adds further damaging testimony to the Type R's lack of urban versatility. It makes little effort to soak up bumps, potholes and other pavement gremlins. In addition, Acura has removed all of the sound-deadening material (for reduced weight) from a car that wasn't very quiet to begin with. As such, this is a rather boisterous little car. On the freeway going 75 mph, the engine bleats out a monotonous "baaaaaaaaaaaaaa" as it spins at 4,100 rpm. There isn't even cruise control, a casualty of the weight loss program. If you like pain, take a Type R on a three-week highway tour of Nebraska, Oklahoma and Kansas searching for the world's biggest ear of corn."

No matter how you prep the BMW, it's gonna be hard to overcome that 600-700 lb deficit. And I wouldn't be surprised to see it being choked with intake restrictions due to its displacement, a common trick to even out the playing field.

18. BTW, third place in that race went to an E36 M3. The highest-placed Integra Type R was 41st...

19. The BMW is just the better car Full Stop, Better Handling, better engine, more torque, all you S2000 drivers would have to fiddle around with your gearboxes to actually go anywhere, where as the M coupe can simple stay in 5th and just go all the way to a limited 155mph<!-- Signature -->

20. #20 ritchie, Aug 9, 2002
  21. hahaha, oh man. i find it so amusing that anyone, especially someone with so little knowledge about cars, other than, "this one goes to 60 in so and so seconds, and this one does it in this many" (good job son!) would have the balls to open their mouth, and try to say that a little s2000 has the workings, or engineering beauty to even dream of competition, on ANY level, with even the slowest M. i give you credit for such gutsiness. Bravo. With that i bid you adieu!<!-- Signature -->

22. one thing nobody has mentioned is that the m coupe is a 3.2 while the s2000 is 2.0 also the m coupe has 2 more cylinders. im not saying the s2000 is great but lets be reasonable. i respect imports because theyre great at what theyre made for (fuel economy). in my opinion imports like the NSX and S2000 should be faster considering they call themselves sports cars.

23. why dont we stop talking about imports and start talking about the car at hand.<!-- Signature -->

24. i don't think this car is the end of all imports for one reason - price. sure it'll spank all but heavily tuned hondas and such, but the reason rice burners are so popular is because mommy buys them for 17 grand for her boy going to college. this sucker is outta that league and up there with vettes.