Re: everyone likes this car for 1 reason

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by adamsalo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. the looks broda

2. its for all the rich people that wanna go fast that know nothing about cars

3. Ummmm PenguinMan

You're not helping.........

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Yank</i>
    <b>I never said the F50 was a perfect car. Before I go on, Please tell me which Ferrari race team Andy Evans drives for, Ferrari has only 1 race team & that is the F1 team. Their drivers are M.Schumacher, Rubens Barricelle, their test driver is Luca Badoer, & they added another test driver but it wasn't Andy Evans. Are you talking about the 333SP, all those teams are privately run therefor he would not be consider a factory Ferrari driver. Can anybody tell me which road coarse the Sledgehammer was ever run on. Can you tell me what the skidpad, slalom, lateral accelleration, & braking results of the Sledgehammer, you know what you can't because that stuff was never tested. I never said that 255MPH wasn't amazing but the fact remains it took them about 10 trys to do that because, let me repeat myself, the Engine kept misfiring. Now about the F50 over heating, I think that is unexcusable for a car of that caliber. But that is the only time I've ever heard of that happening & as far as the tires blistering you can't blame that on the car itself you have to blame that on who ever manufactured the tires. About the Ford GT40 it was a great car, but the facts are that Ferrari when it quit running its factory based sportscar racing program, after 1973, it had more wins than all the other manufactuers combined, MORE WINS THAN ALL THE OTHER MANUFACTUERS COMBINED. I don't hate Chevrolets, Corvettes, or Callaways. I think that the C5 is a great car & IN MY OPINION I think that the Callaway C12-R is better than the Sledgehammer & that the 550 Maranello is better than the F50 as far as a car for driving on actual roads. Now if you want to talk about highly modified cars how about the Koenig F50.
    Koenig F50/ Sledgehammer/ McLaren F1
    0-60: 3.0 seconds/ 3.9 seconds/ 3.2 seconds
    0-124: 8.4 seconds/ NA/ NA
    1/4 Mile: 8.0 seconds/ 10.6 seconds/ 11.6 seconds
    Top Speed: 236 mph/ 255 mph/ 217mph
    Bhp @rpm: 850 @ 7200/ 880 @ 6250/ 627 @ 7400 rpm
    Bhp per liter: 180.85/ 154.38/ 103.41
    lbs per bhp: 3.24/ 3.98/ 3.98

Please note that the results for the F50 I got off Koenig Specials official web site & they noted that top speed & accelleration depend on the gearing of the car. One last thing higher skidpad, slamon, & accelleration numbers don't always translate in better lap times. That depends on things like the type of track & the condition of track, the track temperature. I'm going to email a couple people & get more info on the F50. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

the missfires were traced down to contaminated rochester fuel injectors and eliminated. while the engine was misfiring the car only made it to 198 MPH after they fixed it is when it did the record run of 254.76 MPH. this is the ultimate car unbeatable by any other production car.

5. dude mc lauren costs over 1000000$$$$$$$$

6. everyone likes this car for 1 reason

The only reason peple like this car is the top speed.everything else sucks.
    So can some1 tell me what else u guys find good about this car???????

7. Ahh lets see, handling is great, 0-60 is under 4 seconds. Lets skip the bullshit here, what car are you gonna go on about that is better then this car. Top speed is a very big thing, what car do you want to compare it with and how is it better????????????

Why is it so hard for some of you to get past your ignorance and see the Vette for what it is! One of the best all around sports cars that is still good on gas. Do you people hate Vettes cause GM doesn't price them so high? The Vette is one of the best cars out there, the performance, reliabilty, and comfort is outstanding. I CHALLENGE ANY OF YOU VETTE HATERS TO GO OUT AND BRING ONE PROFESSIONAL REVIEW THAT CLAIMS THE VETTE IS A BAD CAR. And for the people who continue to say oh Vette isn't an import so it will always break down, WRONG!, if you know how to take care of a Vette it will never give you much problems. My 1988 Vette is still running great and I've never had any major repairs done to it.

8. its like this you mopar &ford people are just plain jealous because corvette &chevy in general puts the rest to shame its that simple enough said ford blows & mopars swallow

9. Dam where did supercars.net find this shit at. They have to get the fastest car i've seen, a skyline go over 300 mph in 12 secs. It would smoke the shit out of this gay a$$ mother fu***** car. And it would take this car a while to get to top speed. Any mc lauren would smoke it in a race ring.

10. Here is what was written about the Sledgehammer: The Callaway Corvette Sledgehammer recorded its mind-boggling top speed of 254.76 mph at Transportation Research Center - a 7.5 mile oval with steeply banked turns and straightaways that stretch to the horizon. The car was driven by John Lingenfelter on Wednesday after prior successions of engine misfiring.
    After prior successions of misfiring, People pay attention & the fact is this car would get beat hands down by alot of cars that have top speeds barely over 200mph. On a true sports car course a Ferrari F50 would smoke the Sledgehammer. I wish all you drag racing wanabes would stay the hell off this site.

Here is whats wriiten about the Ferrari F50 : " On the fourth lap , the F50's speed drops to 191.6 mph , and radiator coolant is fizzing out of the overflow vent. Evans stops, " Not exactly a WSC car out there, " he reports. " It dances around a bit "
    " On a 300-foot skidpad , the F50 easily holds a understeering line with 0.95 g of grip , again , the F50's performance is shy of the factorys claim of 1.20 g . More troubling , the car's rear tires ,following four laps in each direction on the skidpad , emerge with a dozen dime-sized blisters on each inner rib of thread, this on a 60 degree day."
    " The F50's top speed is shy of the F40's by 3 mph , its 8 mph below the factorys claim. It's also 4 mph beyond the 8500-rpm redline, a cardinal sin, except when the test driver owns the supercar in question."
    " I cooked the first set of Goddyear Fioranos pretty quickly , I got down to the cords in 1100 or 1200 miles."

Okay lets see the F50 ONLY did a top speed of 194 mph and that was at 8640 rpms and Oh in case you didn't know thats in the redline , so it has a redline limited top speed of 190 mph, and after 4 laps its overheating , and after 4 laps on the skidpad on a 60 degree day its tires have dime size blisters on them , Oh yes cant forget it doesn't handle nearly as good as Ferrari claimed 0.95 g to the claimed 1.20 g
    on a true sports car course the F50 would be on the grass overheating with wasted tires, now if its as you say the true measure of a supercar is its lap times around road course like tracks.
    now the F50 really sounds like a great car doesn't it.

11. Scotti u idiot. of course the F50 is going to beat this thing on a race course this car was mad for 1 thing only. To go really fast.IF any other car was on the test course with this thing they would get smoked.<!-- Signature -->

12. Idiot ??? wow you sure are really great at expressing your point of veiw, you " try " to insult me and then make claims like the F50 would beat this around the track because this thing is built for oe hing and thats tp speed, now if your going to make claims then back them up with either facts or your opinion, which you did neither, now the F50 was fully road tested by Car and Driver in its January 1997 issue m nw mind you many magazines have tested the F50 up until then , but NONE have ever tested its top speed or handling capabiltys until Car and Driver , now the car was owned by a Ferrari Race Car Driver Andy Evans , who did the driving, now Ferrari claimed its Formula 1 race car for the roads the F50 could do 1.20 g's on the skidpad and had a top speed of 202 mph, Andy Evans F50 was tested at the Transportation Research Center, which is ironicly enogh where the Sledgehammer did its top speed of 254.70 mph , now the best it could do was a top speed of 194 mph and that was 4 mph into the 8500 redline ,it was reached at 8640 rpms , so the redline speed limit is 190 mph now thats 12 mph slower then what Ferrari claimed , now on to handling which the best the F50 could do was a 0.95G and NOT the factory claimed 1.20 G , so its NOT as fast as Ferrari claimed and it doesn't handle as good as Ferrari claimed, so that being the case the Sledgehammer would fair better around a race track then you think , oe being that its NOT just a straight line rocket , it handles very good as well , Carroll Smith engineered the chassis , and if you don't know who he is he did the chassis set ups on the Ford GT40s that beat Ferrari back to back in the late 60s at Le Mans , now this guy knows a LOT about setting a car up for handling, now seeing this was based on a standard Callaway corvette which handled great and thats without the engineering of Carroll Smith so i would say this car has great track abilitys , now seeing Andy Evans Ferrari overheated o the 4th lap of this track , and the tires had a dozen dime-sized blsiters on it after doing a 4 passes on a skidpad on a 60 degree day, i would say that the Sledgehammer has a GREAT chance of beating the F50 on a road track because it beat the F50 on the Transportation Research Centers 7.5 mile oval by 60 mph. now i wont be reduced to calling you an idiot, ut f you going to make claims at least try to back they up .!!!

13. I never said the F50 was a perfect car. Before I go on, Please tell me which Ferrari race team Andy Evans drives for, Ferrari has only 1 race team & that is the F1 team. Their drivers are M.Schumacher, Rubens Barricelle, their test driver is Luca Badoer, & they added another test driver but it wasn't Andy Evans. Are you talking about the 333SP, all those teams are privately run therefor he would not be consider a factory Ferrari driver. Can anybody tell me which road coarse the Sledgehammer was ever run on. Can you tell me what the skidpad, slalom, lateral accelleration, & braking results of the Sledgehammer, you know what you can't because that stuff was never tested. I never said that 255MPH wasn't amazing but the fact remains it took them about 10 trys to do that because, let me repeat myself, the Engine kept misfiring. Now about the F50 over heating, I think that is unexcusable for a car of that caliber. But that is the only time I've ever heard of that happening & as far as the tires blistering you can't blame that on the car itself you have to blame that on who ever manufactured the tires. About the Ford GT40 it was a great car, but the facts are that Ferrari when it quit running its factory based sportscar racing program, after 1973, it had more wins than all the other manufactuers combined, MORE WINS THAN ALL THE OTHER MANUFACTUERS COMBINED. I don't hate Chevrolets, Corvettes, or Callaways. I think that the C5 is a great car & IN MY OPINION I think that the Callaway C12-R is better than the Sledgehammer & that the 550 Maranello is better than the F50 as far as a car for driving on actual roads. Now if you want to talk about highly modified cars how about the Koenig F50.
    Koenig F50/ Sledgehammer/ McLaren F1
    0-60: 3.0 seconds/ 3.9 seconds/ 3.2 seconds
    0-124: 8.4 seconds/ NA/ NA
    1/4 Mile: 8.0 seconds/ 10.6 seconds/ 11.6 seconds
    Top Speed: 236 mph/ 255 mph/ 217mph
    Bhp @rpm: 850 @ 7200/ 880 @ 6250/ 627 @ 7400 rpm
    Bhp per liter: 180.85/ 154.38/ 103.41
    lbs per bhp: 3.24/ 3.98/ 3.98

Please note that the results for the F50 I got off Koenig Specials official web site & they noted that top speed & accelleration depend on the gearing of the car. One last thing higher skidpad, slamon, & accelleration numbers don't always translate in better lap times. That depends on things like the type of track & the condition of track, the track temperature. I'm going to email a couple people & get more info on the F50.

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Scotti Ducati</i>
    <b>Idiot ??? wow you sure are really great at expressing your point of veiw, you " try " to insult me and then make claims like the F50 would beat this around the track because this thing is built for oe hing and thats tp speed, now if your going to make claims then back them up with either facts or your opinion, which you did neither, now the F50 was fully road tested by Car and Driver in its January 1997 issue m nw mind you many magazines have tested the F50 up until then , but NONE have ever tested its top speed or handling capabiltys until Car and Driver , now the car was owned by a Ferrari Race Car Driver Andy Evans , who did the driving, now Ferrari claimed its Formula 1 race car for the roads the F50 could do 1.20 g's on the skidpad and had a top speed of 202 mph, Andy Evans F50 was tested at the Transportation Research Center, which is ironicly enogh where the Sledgehammer did its top speed of 254.70 mph , now the best it could do was a top speed of 194 mph and that was 4 mph into the 8500 redline ,it was reached at 8640 rpms , so the redline speed limit is 190 mph now thats 12 mph slower then what Ferrari claimed , now on to handling which the best the F50 could do was a 0.95G and NOT the factory claimed 1.20 G , so its NOT as fast as Ferrari claimed and it doesn't handle as good as Ferrari claimed, so that being the case the Sledgehammer would fair better around a race track then you think , oe being that its NOT just a straight line rocket , it handles very good as well , Carroll Smith engineered the chassis , and if you don't know who he is he did the chassis set ups on the Ford GT40s that beat Ferrari back to back in the late 60s at Le Mans , now this guy knows a LOT about setting a car up for handling, now seeing this was based on a standard Callaway corvette which handled great and thats without the engineering of Carroll Smith so i would say this car has great track abilitys , now seeing Andy Evans Ferrari overheated o the 4th lap of this track , and the tires had a dozen dime-sized blsiters on it after doing a 4 passes on a skidpad on a 60 degree day, i would say that the Sledgehammer has a GREAT chance of beating the F50 on a road track because it beat the F50 on the Transportation Research Centers 7.5 mile oval by 60 mph. now i wont be reduced to calling you an idiot, ut f you going to make claims at least try to back they up .!!! </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Scotti Ducati you forgot to mention that the Sledgehammer suffered an oil leak, it misfired on several on occasion one of the misfires came at only 130 mph. Knowing all this that means that even though the Ferrari over heated after 4 laps it would probably be at least 3 laps ahead at that point because the Sledgehammer would have been back it the pits changing spark plug wires & fixing an Oil leak. I think that would give the Ferrari mechanics plenty of time to solve the overheating problem & put a better set of tires on the car Please don't forget that they took over 6-months to develop this car & they weren't starting from scratch. They had to be at the track I think it was 3 day to get all the problems out of this car. You don't know enough to know that the Ferrari is basically detuned to make it more driveable for the street. Remember that the Sledgehammer was specially built to get the speed record for a road car. Now take a Ferrari F50, strip it of things like its rear wing & other item that add downforce but creat drag, add twin turbos, & a bunch of other engine modification to achieve one purpose top speed. Now give Ferrari the use of a highbanked 7.5 mile oval & don't forget to give them 3 or 4 days to get all the quirks out of the car. I think 255 plus is not that hard to image. By the way blisters on the tires were not Ferrari's fault, it was Goodyear's fault for supplying this car with a bad set of tires. Have you ever noticed that race cars every once in awhile get a bad set of tires, does this mean that the car sucks, no. One last thing the Car & Driver test of the F50, to me, sounds a little vindictive towards Ferrari.

15. and if you would read anything about the sledgehammer it was actually detuned too. It had plenty of room for more boost, just like callaway said in the article!!!

16. Ummm let me get this right??? This car beats the Mclaren in top speed but it sucks???!!!
    You want to talk about the stupid Skylines, the ones youre talking about ARE NOT STREET LEAGAL!!! Want to compare those I've seen dragsters that smoke that time!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GOD WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU IMPORT LOVERS TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!!!!!!!! Americans do make amazing cars ie the Vette the S7 the Mosler......come on now, are these not great cars????? It's no point too many of you have been brain washed forget it.....

17. Here is what was written about the Sledgehammer: The Callaway Corvette Sledgehammer recorded its mind-boggling top speed of 254.76 mph at Transportation Research Center - a 7.5 mile oval with steeply banked turns and straightaways that stretch to the horizon. The car was driven by John Lingenfelter on Wednesday after prior successions of engine misfiring.
    After prior successions of misfiring, now that really sounds like a great car doesn't it. People pay attention the true measure of a supercar is its lap times around road course like tracks & the fact is this car would get beat hands down by alot of cars that have top speeds barely over 200mph. On a true sports car course a Ferrari F50 would smoke the Sledgehammer. I wish all you drag racing wanabes would stay the hell off this site.

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from IntegraTypeR</i>
    <b>its for all the rich people that wanna go fast that know nothing about cars</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

what is?

19. You idiot. You think that drag racing is for rich people? Most drag racers are BROKE you jackass and had to work crap jobs just to get a chance to drag. I would bet good money you wouldn't last 10 seconds in a real dragster. You would hit a wall or flip or overrev your engine til it exploded.<!-- Signature -->

20. (6) To Vette1, ever heard the saying less is more? well here goes, as a rebuttal to your statement that top speed is important, I'm not disputing the facts that Scotti and yourself have brought forward, but speeds in excess of 250kmph are just pure stupidity if you are going to do them yourselve's, and the other thing is, a car is unable to sustain such high speeds for any great length of time without the machine deteriorating and becoming as much as a piece of shit as a lada is at time of production. Fast cars are made with more powerful engines a)for people that can actually handle such high speed (not myself for one) b) for people with lots of money :D c) for racing on tracks and d) for people who like to think they can drive twice as good as everyone else :eek: they are great to look at and really neat to drive but I'm damn sure I don't want to be caught dead in one. ..excuse the pun. dead as in laying in a pool of munched up bone and blood. :D

21. for a street legal car this could pass most cars up nowadayz, so maybe thats why everyone likes this car.

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Devil's Escudo</i>
    <b>(6) To Vette1, ever heard the saying less is more? well here goes, as a rebuttal to your statement that top speed is important, I'm not disputing the facts that Scotti and yourself have brought forward, but speeds in excess of 250kmph are just pure stupidity if you are going to do them yourselve's, and the other thing is, a car is unable to sustain such high speeds for any great length of time without the machine deteriorating and becoming as much as a piece of shit as a lada is at time of production. Fast cars are made with more powerful engines a)for people that can actually handle such high speed (not myself for one) b) for people with lots of money :D c) for racing on tracks and d) for people who like to think they can drive twice as good as everyone else :eek: they are great to look at and really neat to drive but I'm damn sure I don't want to be caught dead in one. ..excuse the pun. dead as in laying in a pool of munched up bone and blood. :D </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

On a test it took this engine 2 weeks at redline before it malfunctioned.

23. Scotti Ducati you forgot to mention that the Sledgehammer suffered an oil leak, it misfired on several on occasion one of the misfires came at only 130 mph. Knowing all this that means that even though the Ferrari over heated after 4 laps it would probably be at least 3 laps ahead at that point because the Sledgehammer would have been back it the pits changing spark plug wires & fixing an Oil leak. I think that would give the Ferrari mechanics plenty of time to solve the overheating problem & put a better set of tires on the car Please don't forget that they took over 6-months to develop this car & they weren't starting from scratch. They had to be at the track I think it was 3 day to get all the problems out of this car. You don't know enough to know that the Ferrari is basically detuned to make it more driveable for the street. Remember that the Sledgehammer was specially built to get the speed record for a road car. Now take a Ferrari F50, strip it of things like its rear wing & other item that add downforce but creat drag, add twin turbos, & a bunch of other engine modification to achieve one purpose top speed. Now give Ferrari the use of a highbanked 7.5 mile oval & don't forget to give them 3 or 4 days to get all the quirks out of the car. I think 255 plus is not that hard to image. By the way blisters on the tires were not Ferrari's fault, it was Goodyear's fault for supplying this car with a bad set of tires. Have you ever noticed that race cars every once in awhile get a bad set of tires, does this mean that the car sucks, no. One last thing the Car & Driver test of the F50, to me, sounds a little vindictive towards Ferrari.

Car and Driver meausred the speeds of the F50 , Andy Evans tested HIS personal car, i like when the numbers don't match the factorys claims , you people claim its the magazine or the driver its a conspiracy when it doesn't do what you wanted , and remember Ferrari started out with a Formula 1 engine and de-tuned it for road use , the Corvette is based on a production chevy road car engine, and the its Goodyears fault?? no its the chassis set up on the F50's fault it stresses the tires to much , tow differant magazines tested the F50 and both said the tires didn't hold up , Motor Trend quoted a F50 owner as saying he went through a set in 1200-1500 miles , and Car and Driver when Andy Evans tested his F50 , the tires couldn't handle the testing , thats not Goodyears fault .the bottom line is this Callaway claimed the Sledgehammer could do 250 , it did 254 mph , Ferrari claimed the F50 could do 202 mph , it did 194 mph in the redline , so if they would have not got into the redline thats a top speed of 190 mph.

24. Heres my response to someone else claims that the Loenig could beat the Hennessey Venom 800 TT in the 1/4 mile .
    Car and Driver June 2001 they did a road test of the Hennessesy Venom
    800 Twin Turbo.

0-30 - 0.98
    0-40 - 1.30
    0-50 - 1.86
    0-60 - 2.43
    0-70 - 3.00
    0-80 - 3.92
    0-90 - 4.67
    0-100- 5.50

1/4 mile - [email protected] mph
    0-100-0 - 10.1
    Skidpad G - 1.05
    Slalom - 75.1 mph
    Top Speed Est. 235 mph
    Braking 60-0 - 110 feet.

You said Ferrari handles better then a Viper . Car and Driver (Jan 97)
    tested a stock Ferrari F50 skid pad 0.95g now mind you Ferrari claimed
    it was 1.20 g, no slalom speed was performed.
    Now a stock Viper GTS does the skidpad in 1.01 G and the best handling
    Ferrari which is the F355 does it in 0.97 G , Slalom speeds are Viper
    GTS 72.5 mph and the F355 is 64.3 mph so a Stock Viper GTS handles
    better then ANY road going Ferrari.
    On to Koenigs Twin Turbo Ferrari F50
    here are the quotes for its horsepower and torque. [email protected] and [email protected]
    rpms,
    its also claims the following ,

0-100 km/h - 3.0
    0-200 km/h - 8.4
    1/4 mile 8.0
    Top Speed 380 km/h

now if my math is correct 100 km/p is 62 mph so double that 200 km/h is
    124 mph so it reaches the 1/4 mile in 8.0 so its maximum speed in the
    1/4 is less then 124 mph ?? IMPOSSIBLE its mathmatically impossible for
    this car to do a 8.0 second 1/4 especially with a 120 mph trap speed ,
    if you know anything about drag racing a 8.0 1/4 mile has a trap speed
    of around 170 mph.
    There is NO WAY in hell this car can do the 1/4 i 8.0 seconds not when
    its top speed is listed at 231 mph. any car drag racing in the 8.0s has
    ultra low rear gears like 4.56 or even lower maybe 4.88s , now you need
    very tall gearing to get well over 200 mph , Example Mclaren F1 uses a
    2.37: 1 final gear, Callaway used a 3.07 :1 in the Sledgehammer and its
    1/4 mile was [email protected] so the enemy of top speed is very low gears
    ike the ones needed to run 8.0 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
    here is the quote from thier site.

" On less the billiard table smooth surfaces, the turbocharged F-50 has
    so much power , even if you do a normal take off, you get wheelspinat
    the top of the power curve, in the first three gears, Imagine the power
    needed to break the grip of 335/30ZR/18 rubber in the dry."

Now if it breaks traction even on light take off through the first three
    gears how can it run 8.0 ? remember the enemy of acceleration is zero
    traction , you can have all the power in the world if you cant transmit
    the power to the pavement then its useless
    Thats why Hennessey uses M/T DOT Street Slicks because NO road tire can
    handle 902 ft lbs, acceleration is made with low end torque and the
    Hennessey has 902 Ft lb avaible at just 4800 rpms and the Koenig makes
    586 ft lbs @ 7000 , i mean come on it makes its peak torque at SEVEN
    THOUSAND rpms.
    And to boot Koenig uses the stock Ferrari gated shifter heres a quote
    about the gated shifter on a Testarossa Road & Track road teste 1995 .

" Why cant the TR do better then 17.5 ( 0-100-0 ) sec? Look no further
    than the gated shifter, It simply makes it impossible to pull off a
    quick 1-2 shift, and things are further complicated by the racing shift
    pattern, which has 2nd gear at the top of the H where 3rd usally is, The
    shift o 2nd routinely took a complete second , Destroying the TR's
    chances of an overall victory."
    Now do the math do you think you are going to be doing a 1/4 mile in
    [email protected] with a gated shifter and zero traction??
    Obviously that quote is a typo , because there s NO WAY this car can run
    a 8.0 !!!

25. Give me $400.000 and I will give you 254mph straight 6. Vetts are Sh#@..........................................