Re: Front Wheel Drive, 4 speed auto, why bother

Discussion in '2002 Pontiac Bonneville G/XP' started by Mark, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Front Wheel Drive, 4 speed auto, why bother

The bonneville isn't really a young persons car in the first place, it's an old person car. And then they put all these mods on it, and give it all this power and compromised ride. I don't think this car will appeal to many people.

Plus, it's such a large car, and it's only available with a 4 speed auto, it's front drive, what are they thinking??

2. It's a Luxery Car. Even "Suped Up" it still is a Luxery Car. It appeals to me (16) because of the way it looks, and it appeals to older buyers who still want a little sport in their "Old Person" cars.

Some Old Folks never trully Grow Old either! While it isn't extremely fast, it looks the part. And what 2 old guys would challenge eachother to a race in their Big Luxerious cars anyway???<!-- Signature -->

3. Any 2 old guys that think their big luxory car is faster than the other.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mark</i>
    <b>The bonneville isn't really a young persons car in the first place, it's an old person car. And then they put all these mods on it, and give it all this power and compromised ride. I don't think this car will appeal to many people.

Plus, it's such a large car, and it's only available with a 4 speed auto, it's front drive, what are they thinking??</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Ill have to disagree. This car is for those who want an STS but can only afford something cheaper. Seeing the STS was for the Sport Luxury inclined and this Bonneville is just that, there then is a market for this car.

Actually I have an old right up on the this generation Bonneville competing against other cars in this class. It ranked last, BUT only because they really hated the look of the car. Other wise it would have done much better. <!-- Signature -->

5. yes but the sporty, and probably loud exhaust system, stiffened suspension, 19 inch wheels with low pro tires, will offer a harsh ride, and more sport than most old guys want.

There's a difference between a little bit more punch for the old man wanting some sport and this factory tuned piece.

6. You basically hit on the money Mark. Every year GM has a slew of new concepts that are suppose to liven up their car line-up and appeal to younger buyers. Well, I'm a younger buyer(18) and every year I'm unimpressed. GM did this last year or 2 years ago when they showed the GTO concept then they had another Grand Prix concept called the G8 I believe and they even had a modded Grand Am with Recaro leather seats and everything. And where are these cars now, no where to be seen. If GM wants to get some younger people their going to have to try a little harder. Don't get me wrong the car does look nice but if they want to be thought of as a legit sports sedan their not close. There are just some undispensable standards missing here. A 4 speed- auto and only 270 hp with front wheel drive, in a car of this size? Is GM joking, are they really serious about this being a sports sedan? If it was close to 300 or over 300hp then I might look twice. However it still has no manual, no rear wheel drive and still based off of the Bonneville platform I believe and not a sports one. GM does this every car to get people excited about them just to find out that when the new version of the Grand Prix comes out it won't have 19 inch rims, 270hp (probably 250hp) or any of the good aftermarket things added to the show car. If GM wants new buyers then prove us and me wrong by bringing out this car. Who cares about price if its good the consumers shall come runiing. However, I must reiterate 300hp really needs to be considered and over, little bit more aggressive look(not too much), and a manual or at least a 5 speed auto with Tiptronic type function( I mean really GM a 4-speed auto the standard now is 5-speed and a sports sedan without some type of manumatic function being competitive with only 270hp unheard of.)GM get back to the drawing board on this one.

7. do you own a #$%#ing ferrari????<!-- Signature -->

8. I'll tell you why, it's the end of the line for the bonneville in 2004/05, so pontiac figures it might aswell go out in style with this one, like it did with the limited edition '02 trans am.

9. Yea. I like the new 'Bonnies', but I think that they should at least make it 5 speed. I mean, 270 out of a re-tuned almost 4 litre V6? Jeez!! I know that the NSX is not even in the same class, but give the though of 3.2 V6, normally aspirated, 290hp. Just a thought. Mabye the 3.2 TL Type S is more like a comparison. (260hp 3.2 litre) Anyways. GM needs to really look at what is out there again so they can compete. Looks great though.<!-- Signature -->

10. WRX sti, you are referring to more powerful REAR DRIVE cars, they had a much different spirit.

11. Well the TLs 3.2L is designed more hightec..it's a VTEC DOHC =P
    This is an OHV =P

THe TL gets all it's power in the higher bands due to VTEC and DOHC, the 3.8L gets all the power down low...so there is no point to a 5 speed gear too but it'll be nice to have one cuz it'll be the ones that BMW uses on the 5 series =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->