Re: GT40 up against the Viper and Z06

Discussion in '2002 Ford GT40 Concept' started by Tickford5400, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I don't see where any of you morons go about comparing two cars that don't even exist yet. You are saying that a 2002 Viper is better than a 200 Z06 and saying the same about 2003, and there are no curent gt40's so they are just claiming brand superiority. One year makes a lot of a difference. And if all these cars are what the manufactorers claim, then 2003 will be the best american sports car year ever. 1966 Shelby Cobra's rule!!

2. viper<!-- Signature -->

3. Wrong viper you sound so stupid its stupid. lol

First off the GTS Viper smoked the vette z06 in the 1/4 mi triles and the vette and the Cobra R smoked the GTS on the road racing part. Just like Andretti said when he tested the viper against the McLaren and the Ferrari, " This car handled vvery bad in the turns the car was very loose in the back and didnt have good handling overall at anypoints." The viper is not a car I would like to take around a track but only in a straight line. The way dodge engineered this car you would have to spend about $7,000 on upgraded suspension to atleast make it handle decently. This car is fast but it handles like shit.

BTW the question you asked how does someone know this car handles very good? Well genious like he said the car was a LM car. Lemans since I know you don't know what LM stands for(not Limited Model lol). The car was built to handle like a 24 hour Lemans race car. Since you didn't know that I'll let you pass but next time go study up on it before you talk shit. This car will take a Vette on a road track race and possibly on in the 1/4 mile. Since it is very light and very well engineered.

4. The McLaren is capable of 240mph with 627hp at a weight of 2500lb. The new GT40 will be a little heavier with 127hp less. It should be good for around the 200mph mark. The problem is down force on the back end. Without having a wing to push the backend down, it will have a tendency of "lifting off" the ground. This is what Ford's concern is. But thats contradictory because the original 1968 GT40 MKI Gulf car did not have a wing either, and that was in "real world" racing. I'm curious to know if they put the new GT40 through any tunnel testing. For a more close comparison, the Cobra R was rated for 180mph, weighing in at 3600lbs, and 385hp. The GT40 will be ~600lbs less, with 115 more horsepower, only good for 180mph? The numbers aren't there.

5. This SHOULD, if Ford actually did something right, smoke the current Viper and current Z06. It's in a mid-engine configuration which gives it an edge on a road course right off the bat. It's got a pretty low gear ratio which should help it accelerate much faster than both the Vette and the Viper. Not only that but I absolutely LOVE the styling of this car!! GT40 was way ahead of it's time in the 60's, and I hope Ford (which I doubt they will) will keep the spirit alive by making this one as cutting edge as possible. Now, as far as the current Vette and Vipers go. The Vette is a much better car overall than the Viper. Every magazine editor will contest to that. All Viper has going for it is a nice throaty sound, a 0-60 time that leaves most European exotics in the dust, and a little exclusitivity. The Vette on the other hand handles great, comes EXTEREMELY close in 0-60, is pretty comfortable (actually have ridden in a C5 and read articles on how shitty the Viper's interior is), handles better, and the list goes on and on. I think this is an awsome car and I seriously wish that GM would produce the Cien to compete with this. The 2004 Vette is supposed to be redesigned (C6) and put out 450 hp with the same torque. It will be beating the Viper even with the hp deficite because it's coming so close to it now with so much less hp.

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>This SHOULD, if Ford actually did something right, smoke the current Viper and current Z06. It's in a mid-engine configuration which gives it an edge on a road course right off the bat. It's got a pretty low gear ratio which should help it accelerate much faster than both the Vette and the Viper. Not only that but I absolutely LOVE the styling of this car!! GT40 was way ahead of it's time in the 60's, and I hope Ford (which I doubt they will) will keep the spirit alive by making this one as cutting edge as possible. Now, as far as the current Vette and Vipers go. The Vette is a much better car overall than the Viper. Every magazine editor will contest to that. All Viper has going for it is a nice throaty sound, a 0-60 time that leaves most European exotics in the dust, and a little exclusitivity. The Vette on the other hand handles great, comes EXTEREMELY close in 0-60, is pretty comfortable (actually have ridden in a C5 and read articles on how shitty the Viper's interior is), handles better, and the list goes on and on. I think this is an awsome car and I seriously wish that GM would produce the Cien to compete with this. The 2004 Vette is supposed to be redesigned (C6) and put out 450 hp with the same torque. It will be beating the Viper even with the hp deficite because it's coming so close to it now with so much less hp.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yea, it should smoke the current Viper and Z06. But haven't you heard? The new Viper will be sporting 500 horsepower also. Why would mid engine configuration give it the edge? I could have sworn perfect weight distribution was the best. The Viper is 49% Front, 51% Rear. Near perfect, wouldn't you say?

You say the Vette handles great and better than the Viper. Thats funny, of the 2 times they went head to head, both times the Viper came out on top. The Viper also handles at a higher slalom speed than the Vette, in fact, Motor Trend announced it had the record for the quickest slalom speed for a production car they ever tested.

The Vette is comfortable and the Viper isn't? I'm sorry, but the Viper is comfortable. It may not have the interior or features the Vette has, but it has all the essentials and is a very comfortable ride.

You say the Vette is coming so close to the Viper. Please, explain. The only thing even remotely close is 0-60 and the handling. After 60 the Viper leaves the Vette in the dust. And remember, to come close to the Viper, they will have to make a dramatic increase in horsepower, because coming in August, the 2003 Viper will be released with 500 horsepower.<!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>Having a midenging configuration puts more weight over the rear wheels which imroves traction thus increasing acceleration. Also, midengine cars have less power loss in the drivetrain. Medengine cars are usually lighter because there is less drivetrain and exhaust pipes. It's funny that you should mention the Viper being the best in the slalom. I wish I could remember what magazine it was, but they said that the 02' Z06 was the fastest car they had ever put through the slalom which is why I said the Vette was faster through the slalom. The Viper isn't comfortable. It has a HUGE center console that your leg is constantly mashed against and interior noise is horrible. It's no good for people over 6', and I've heard you can't even see the accelerator when you're driving it. Like I said, I've never ridden in one but I have seen quite a few and every magazine has mentioned it. You're right when you said that the Viper leaves the Z06 in the dust after 60 mph. I said that the Vette's 0-60 was close to the Vipers which is true though. The 04' Corvette (C6) is supposed to be almost completely redesigned and is supposed to have somewhere around 450 hp and the same torque. This car could beat the Viper even with 50 hp less if GM does it right.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yes, I know it puts more weight over the rear wheels, which would, theoretically, increase 0-60 time. But you can't be to sure. The Viper pulls a faster 0-60 time than the Ferrari 360 Modena. But you are right, midengine, rear drive cars should have the jump in 0-60, and the GT-40 probably will. But after 60 mph when the wheels stopped spinning, its no more of an advantage.

I didn't know midengine cars have less drivetrain loss. Good thing to know.

If you do remember that article, or even the slalom time maybe, I would like to see it.

The Viper is comfortable. I have first hand experience in one. Well, not driving. But as a passenger I can say it was comfortable. We didn't go over and bumps or anything, which I heard is a pain because of the stiff suspension, so I can't comment on that.

You are right, if GM does do it right, of course the C6 could be faster than the Viper. Such as less weight. But we can't be looking to far into the future, we just have to wait and see.<!-- Signature -->

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lingenfelter</i>
    <b>alright boys and girls. Lets start with the Z06 can keep up but not beat the current viper (the viper doesn't even beat it by car lenghts)
    Viper a good car but still aint as big of a legend as the Corvette
    Corvette's interior is much better the only thing the viper has on the vette is 2 more cylinders.
    Gt-40 knowing ford this thing will become a joke look at the mustang it was good back in the 60's early 70's then when the 5.0 came out in the late 80's now they are a joke pussy cars and old man cars
    The new Cobra is alright but throw a supercharger on any camaro and she will eat the mustang alive. I hope Gt-40 will be a good car. But lets face it Chevy is gonna get pissed off one of these days and put the TigerShark into production and blow the doors of everything on the street</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I would address all of your false statements, but I just dont have the time to tutor and educate morons like you. But I will educate you on one point. Put a supercharger on a camaro and it will still be beat by the 2003 cobra. i have stated this in so many posts its becoming annoying.
    Vortech installed the same Superchargers on both a 2001 Cobra and a 2002 SS Camaro....results
    494 HP Cobra
    470HP SS Camaro
    both intercooled