Re: gto vs. 2003 mustang cobra

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Feel free to disagree, but I think the gto would win in a race, because it almost has the same hp. and it isn't supercharged. Also it is more aerodynamic. We don't know the weight of this car, but it will likely not weigh that much.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

ROFLMAO!!! Do you really believe that? LOL.

1. The Cobra has much more horsepower, at around 425. We've already been over this, it is very underated.

2. How is having a supercharger a DISadvantage? The roots-type blower generates one of the best and flattest torque curves ever. Making near its peak torque from 2k-redline.

3. The GTO will weigh 3700-3800#s. The question is, can it beat a z28?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->First of all the cobra has 390hp. not 425. Second you don't know the weight of this car. Does it say, no. And third hp. isn't every thing. Finally this will beat the z28 seeing that it has 300hp. and the gto has 350hp.<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Feel free to disagree, but I think the gto would win in a race, because it almost has the same hp. and it isn't supercharged. Also it is more aerodynamic. We don't know the weight of this car, but it will likely not weigh that much.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

1. The Cobra has much more horsepower, at around 425. We've already been over this, it is very underated.

2. How is having a supercharger a DISadvantage? The roots-type blower generates one of the best and flattest torque curves ever. Making near its peak torque from 2k-redline.

3. The GTO will weigh 3700-3800#s. The question is, can it beat a z28?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->First of all the cobra has 390hp. not 425. Second you don't know the weight of this car. Does it say, no. And third hp. isn't every thing. Finally this will beat the z28 seeing that it has 300hp. and the gto has 350hp.<!-- Signature -->

3. the mustang with the supercharged 390hp i say would win

4. gto vs. 2003 mustang cobra

Feel free to disagree, but I think the gto would win in a race, because it almost has the same hp. and it isn't supercharged. Also it is more aerodynamic. We don't know the weight of this car, but it will likely not weigh that much.<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

2. How is having a supercharger a DISadvantage? The roots-type blower generates one of the best and flattest torque curves ever.

3. The GTO will weigh 3700-3800#s. The question is, can it beat a z28?<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

3. The GTO will weigh 3700-3800#s. The question is, can it beat a z28?<!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Camaro, we've been over this SO many times. 03 Cobra’s make 365-390RWHP STOCK. With a standard 15% drivetrain loss in manuals the new Cobras are making 425-435 horsepower STOCK. Check Steeda, Bassani, MM&FF, and hundreds of Cobra owners and dyno tuners. They are seriously underated.

The weight is 3700-3800#s, in a blurb found in Motortrend. That is pretty realistic considering how heavy the Holden’s it is based on is.

Let's look at weight ratios:
    Cobra: 8.6 lb/horsepower
    z28: 11.1 lb/horsepower
    GTO: 10.9 lb/horsepower

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->okay if its supposeidly making 425-435 horses howcome acceleration isnt like a Z06 the 03 stang hits 60 in 4.5 and the 1/4 in 12.9@111 and a Z06 hits 60 in 4.0 and does the 1/4 in 12.4@117 i know dat da vette weighs less and cost 50,000 and that the cobra is cheaper at 35,000 it isnt any faster considering it supposeidly has bout 20 more horses than a Z06.<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 427 Z06</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Camaro, we've been over this SO many times. 03 Cobra’s make 365-390RWHP STOCK. With a standard 15% drivetrain loss in manuals the new Cobras are making 425-435 horsepower STOCK. Check Steeda, Bassani, MM&FF, and hundreds of Cobra owners and dyno tuners. They are seriously underated.

The weight is 3700-3800#s, in a blurb found in Motortrend. That is pretty realistic considering how heavy the Holden’s it is based on is.

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->okay if its supposeidly making 425-435 horses howcome acceleration isnt like a Z06 the 03 stang hits 60 in 4.5 and the 1/4 in 12.9@111 and a Z06 hits 60 in 4.0 and does the 1/4 in 12.4@117 i know dat da vette weighs less and cost 50,000 and that the cobra is cheaper at 35,000 it isnt any faster considering it supposeidly has bout 20 more horses than a Z06.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

First it's not 'supposedly'. It IS making those numbers.

Second, there are many reasons why the z06 is still faster. But simply put, the z06 has to pull almost 1 less pound per horsepower. The Cobra costs $15,000 less, you think the corvette SHOULD be faster, don't you?<!-- Signature -->

11. those tenth's can easily be made up for with the $15k you save compared to the Z06's price.<!-- Signature -->

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>those tenth's can easily be made up for with the $15k you save compared to the Z06's price.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A lightning pulley, catback, h-pipe, headers, and drag radials...hello 11s

And only set you back $1500. Add a good tune and you got 500rwhp and quite possibly 10s<!-- Signature -->

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 427 Z06</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->okay if its supposeidly making 425-435 horses howcome acceleration isnt like a Z06 the 03 stang hits 60 in 4.5 and the 1/4 in 12.9@111 and a Z06 hits 60 in 4.0 and does the 1/4 in 12.4@117 i know dat da vette weighs less and cost 50,000 and that the cobra is cheaper at 35,000 it isnt any faster considering it supposeidly has bout 20 more horses than a Z06.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

First it's not 'supposedly'. It IS making those numbers.

Second, there are many reasons why the z06 is still faster. But simply put, the z06 has to pull almost 1 less pound per horsepower. The Cobra costs $15,000 less, you think the corvette SHOULD be faster, don't you?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    yea just like i think that an aston martin vanquish should be faster than a Z06 cuz it costs 5 times more ;)(which it isnt)<!-- Signature -->

14. are you in denial or just stupid. an astin martin is not made purely for speed. it is an ultra-highend luxury sports car. it has nothing to do with a mustang and corvette comparison. just face the facts, the new mustang cobra will beat a Z06 for less money.<!-- Signature -->

15. Camaro, we've been over this SO many times. 03 Cobra’s make 365-390RWHP STOCK. With a standard 15% drivetrain loss in manuals the new Cobras are making 425-435 horsepower STOCK. Check Steeda, Bassani, MM&FF, and hundreds of Cobra owners and dyno tuners. They are seriously underated.

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, but on motor trend the gtos are concepts they look alot different from this and it's not for sure that 350hp. is what it's going to be I've heard from websites that it might have 375hp. Also if they are going to make this 350hp. then it will probably be under rated like the vette. <!-- Signature -->

17. Besides that's what I think you don't have to. <!-- Signature -->

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, but on motor trend the gtos are concepts they look alot different from this and it's not for sure that 350hp. is what it's going to be I've heard from websites that it might have 375hp. Also if they are going to make this 350hp. then it will probably be under rated like the vette. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It doesn't look alot different. The only difference is the front end, and how do you know that makes it lighter??

The vette is not underated like the camaro, and the camaro is not as underated as the Cobra. In stock form the 03 Cobra makes nearly as much horsepower at the wheels as it is advertised to make at the crank!<!-- Signature -->

19. The new cobra has closer to 400bhp but because last years bhp promises wernt met SVT made sure and kept it at a number that they can for sure meet. And whos to say this car has better aeros than the mustang when the mustang has very nice aerodnamyics. But i do think that the new GTO will give the new stang some good competition but it wont beat it.<!-- Signature -->

20. Well, just take a look at one of the current (July) Ford magazines that tests the Mustang Cobra (390 bhp), against the current 35th Anniversay Camaro (325 bhp).
    Obviously the article is very biased for the majority, but they have to admit at the end that considering the Camaro is losing over 60 bhp to the Mustang, the fraction of 100th of a second time differences between the two on the test track mean nothing.
    In my honest opinion, if this new GTO is going to be based on the Holden 'adrenalin' machine (which will easily beat the Cobra all-round at present), then Ford owners better start relying on more than a supercharger to keep them up in Ford vs GM wars.

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BigDaddy35</i>
    <b>Well, just take a look at one of the current (July) Ford magazines that tests the Mustang Cobra (390 bhp), against the current 35th Anniversay Camaro (325 bhp).
    Obviously the article is very biased for the majority, but they have to admit at the end that considering the Camaro is losing over 60 bhp to the Mustang, the fraction of 100th of a second time differences between the two on the test track mean nothing.
    In my honest opinion, if this new GTO is going to be based on the Holden 'adrenalin' machine (which will easily beat the Cobra all-round at present), then Ford owners better start relying on more than a supercharger to keep them up in Ford vs GM wars.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Any proof to go with your baseless claims? Let's see a link, or which magazine and page number.<!-- Signature -->

22. ..umm no doubt the mustang would win..
    it has more power..
    better suspension(even thought the new gto wil be a big improvement on the old firebirds')
    and it does weight less..
    the GTO is not a small car..
    it is pretty big for somethign sporty of today..
    but thats f'n cool..
    like the return of the musclecar for real!

23. Oops, when I said the Holden would beat the Cobra, I should have checked my facts! The Holden the GTO is built on is the CV8, I was thinking of the HS-V cars that would kick the Cobra's butt.
    Please Mr. GM, could we in the USA be sure to get the HS-V tuned engines that ship into the UK on export with between 450 - 500 bhp?!!!!!
    Thank you.

24. Quote from BigDaddy35
    Well, just take a look at one of the current (July) Ford magazines that tests the Mustang Cobra (390 bhp), against the current 35th Anniversay Camaro (325 bhp).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any proof to go with your baseless claims? Let's see a link, or which magazine and page number.

Of course there is proof, but don't take my word for it. Go down to your own local magazine store and find it for yourself. The article is advertized on the front cover in big bold English,.....but wait, Americans muder the English language everyday, so maybe you do need me to spell it out for you. hahahaha
    It's most likely 'Mustangs and Fast Fords',...but like I say, use whatever physical and sensual perceptions you possess and find it yourself.

25. #25 Heyman, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BigDaddy35</i>
    <b>Of course there is proof, but don't take my word for it. Go down to your own local magazine store and find it for yourself. The article is advertized on the front cover in big bold English,.....but wait, Americans muder the English language everyday, so maybe you do need me to spell it out for you. hahahaha
    It's most likely 'Mustangs and Fast Fords',...but like I say, use whatever physical and sensual perceptions you possess and find it yourself.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you making fun of Americans now?

Well I suppose you meant MUSCLE Mustangs and Fast Fords. Well here is there only review of the 2003 Cobra.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/archives/features/0702_features01.shtml

Notice there 12.60@110 quarter into headwind. About 9/10ths behind is the SS and WS6.

The only time they mention the camaro is "it'll blow the doors off a Boss 429, out-handle a Cobra R and scare the stripes off a 35th anniversary SS Camaro."

and

"No Camaro can top that in factory trim."

What were you saying?<!-- Signature -->