Re: GTO vs. Camaro

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I like lots of domestics, but this I have to say is one of the best I've seen.<!-- Signature -->

2. Do you think people who like imports(japanese cars) will like this car?<!-- Signature -->

3. dont you just love signatures that are 5 times as long as the message?

but on topic, id like to point on that HP isnt everything... power to weight is far more important (how much power/torque does a bentley make and how fast are they?) so if this weighs about as much as a Z28 it should be faster, it BETTER have a 6speed or its not a sports car, and i do hope it handles better and doesnt feel huge (which are the usual f-body complaints. and no im not cursing, thats what camaros and firebirds are called.)

oh and is anyone else PISSED they cut the camaro when the mustang keeps selling despite almost always being slower? that ought to start a flame war....

seriously, since japan doesnt sell their hottest (EVO 7 and WRX STi) here (Yet?), no japanese car at the price of a Z28 ($24 grand) can match the speed, but yes as a rule they handle better.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sandman670</i>
    <b>dont you just love signatures that are 5 times as long as the message?

but on topic, id like to point on that HP isnt everything... power to weight is far more important (how much power/torque does a bentley make and how fast are they?) so if this weighs about as much as a Z28 it should be faster, it BETTER have a 6speed or its not a sports car, and i do hope it handles better and doesnt feel huge (which are the usual f-body complaints. and no im not cursing, thats what camaros and firebirds are called.)

oh and is anyone else PISSED they cut the camaro when the mustang keeps selling despite almost always being slower? that ought to start a flame war....

seriously, since japan doesnt sell their hottest (EVO 7 and WRX STi) here (Yet?), no japanese car at the price of a Z28 ($24 grand) can match the speed, but yes as a rule they handle better. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I know that hp. isn't everything, but we don't know the weight of this car. This will most likely handle well since the monaro handles well and this is an upgraded(better looking) version of the monaro.<!-- Signature -->

5. I think the GTO is a better car than the camaro in a few ways. now i know it isn't built yet, but i think it looks better and by the power numbers it will be able to take it in performance also. but this is all opinion.<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from snoop_todd</i>
    <b>I think the GTO is a better car than the camaro in a few ways. now i know it isn't built yet, but i think it looks better and by the power numbers it will be able to take it in performance also. but this is all opinion.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes I agree with you the gto is better(imo). I like the looks of the camaro, but the gto is much better.<!-- Signature -->

7. Is it me or this car looks like a grand-am? I think they should add some air scoops to make it look more agressive.Other than that, i find it promising, especially if its affordable for the common of the mortals.<!-- Signature -->

8. AFAIK this car already has been built as the Monaro in Aus, and the only changes made to it will b the relocation of the fuel tank and some new body styling. And since its an australian car, wouldnt that make it an import?? or will they b building them in the US (like many of ur other imports, ie "acura")??

9. Well holden is really just a division of GM which is US based so no it will not be an import. <!-- Signature -->

10. GTO vs. Camaro

I'm not too into domestics so let's hear your opinion.

11. This will beat a camaro so bad(I like camaros to though), but it's the truth, because this has 350hp. and a camaro has 325hp. Anyway you don't like American cars, but do you like this one?<!-- Signature -->

12. I like this one more than most domestics.

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Fangio</i>
    <b>Is it me or this car looks like a grand-am? I think they should add some air scoops to make it look more agressive.Other than that, i find it promising, especially if its affordable for the common of the mortals.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I don't think it looks like a grand am, but it is promising. I hope it will beat those mustangs(not to offend anyone), but I think musstangs should be sent down to second again.<!-- Signature -->

14. hey camaro the gto only has 302hp with 339 torque. oh the gto weights 3616lb. oh you do now why the gto will only have 302hp unlike the Australian Monaro with 350hp cuz the vette here has 350hp on the base model so the US ver. will only have 302hp and do the 1/4 mile in 14.9sec i got all the info from motor trend

15. GTO would win<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ImPoRtEr</i>
    <b>hey camaro the gto only has 302hp with 339 torque. oh the gto weights 3616lb. oh you do now why the gto will only have 302hp unlike the Australian Monaro with 350hp cuz the vette here has 350hp on the base model so the US ver. will only have 302hp and do the 1/4 mile in 14.9sec i got all the info from motor trend</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->No no no no, the monaro has 302hp. and the gto has 350hp. or maybe even more(if they deside to make it more). So what if the vette has 350hp. it will soon have more when it comes out in mid-2004 as a 2005 model.<!-- Signature -->

17. This is an import not a domestic. It was designed and made in Australia but has an American engine. It has a modified front end and more power than the Australian version because of Australian sound laws.

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HsvRule</i>
    <b>This is an import not a domestic. It was designed and made in Australia but has an American engine. It has a modified front end and more power than the Australian version because of Australian sound laws.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes this is a domestic not an import, because they are going to make them in American plants.<!-- Signature -->

19. They were saying 302 hp for a long time. Untill I see this come out with the same Hp as the Base Vette and more than the SS, both of which are big NoNo's in the GM rule book, I will be very skeptical of 350. In anycase, this weighs in at a similar amount to the F-bods, so the performances will be quite similar.<!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sparetire</i>
    <b>They were saying 302 hp for a long time. Untill I see this come out with the same Hp as the Base Vette and more than the SS, both of which are big NoNo's in the GM rule book, I will be very skeptical of 350. In anycase, this weighs in at a similar amount to the F-bods, so the performances will be quite similar.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->What do you mean the performances will be similar? Similar to the vette or f-bodies?<!-- Signature -->

21. huh? well this is the same shiyt as camaro's engine soo.... same thing? relly depends on weight and torque change now..

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b>huh? well this is the same shiyt as camaro's engine soo.... same thing? relly depends on weight and torque change now..</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->This thing will have 375 tourqe. More than a cobras I might add(I think).<!-- Signature -->

23. This "GTO" is a damn joke. GM has screwed up severely this time. FIRST they CANCEL an all American icon, the Camaro. NOW they bring this AUSTRALIAN car over here stateside and hit it with a GTO badge, thinking that they will make big waves. This car is a SLAP in the face of the American muscle car enthusiast.
    WAKE UP GM!!!! You can't just slap a badge like GTO (which is an American icon in itself) on an IMPORTED CAR!!! It's like calling a Civic a Cavalier or something, it's just wrong.
    I hope it doesn't sell. Maybe that will make GM wake up and go back to the drawing board to create something more original. At least put a different name on it.
    Makes me sick.

24. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stormdriver8</i>
    <b>This "GTO" is a damn joke. GM has screwed up severely this time. FIRST they CANCEL an all American icon, the Camaro. NOW they bring this AUSTRALIAN car over here stateside and hit it with a GTO badge, thinking that they will make big waves. This car is a SLAP in the face of the American muscle car enthusiast.
    WAKE UP GM!!!! You can't just slap a badge like GTO (which is an American icon in itself) on an IMPORTED CAR!!! It's like calling a Civic a Cavalier or something, it's just wrong.
    I hope it doesn't sell. Maybe that will make GM wake up and go back to the drawing board to create something more original. At least put a different name on it.
    Makes me sick.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->This is not an australian car it's based on it they changed the stuff to be legal on American streets, they changed the front, and they've added a lot more hp. and torque so how is that not American? Anyway it has good enough looks to be a gto.<!-- Signature -->

25. Good enough looks to be a GTO?

What the hedouble hockey sticks are you smoking?

It looks like the Grand-Prix and the Monte Carlo. The only difference is it packs a V8 and is RWD. So what? We allready can buy a Camaro or a Firebird(but not for long).<!-- Signature -->