Re: GTO vs. Camaro

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sparetire</i>
    <b>They were saying 302 hp for a long time. Untill I see this come out with the same Hp as the Base Vette and more than the SS, both of which are big NoNo's in the GM rule book, I will be very skeptical of 350. In anycase, this weighs in at a similar amount to the F-bods, so the performances will be quite similar.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yes, they were saying that. Anyone know where sc.net get these #s?<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stormdriver8</i>
    <b>This "GTO" is a damn joke. GM has screwed up severely this time. FIRST they CANCEL an all American icon, the Camaro. NOW they bring this AUSTRALIAN car over here stateside and hit it with a GTO badge, thinking that they will make big waves. This car is a SLAP in the face of the American muscle car enthusiast.
    WAKE UP GM!!!! You can't just slap a badge like GTO (which is an American icon in itself) on an IMPORTED CAR!!! It's like calling a Civic a Cavalier or something, it's just wrong.
    I hope it doesn't sell. Maybe that will make GM wake up and go back to the drawing board to create something more original. At least put a different name on it.
    Makes me sick.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i have to wholeheartedly agree with this very intelligent sc.net member!

you are beginning your membership with a rare degree of insight. dont let the ignorant masses dissuade you from posting the truth.<!-- Signature -->

3. This is an import because it is going to be made at Holdens Elizabeth plant In South Australia and then shipped over. It wont be made at an American plant

4. the Camaro SS would beat this in the 1/4 mile, the holden version that is almost the same as the US version, and the holden does the 1/4 in 13.9 sec and i dunno at what speed that is, also the holden costs about $38,000 USD.

P.S. for $6,000 less you can get an S2000 that pusts up about the same numbers, and is more reliable<!-- Signature -->

5. Ok Folks, After The Test Results Of The GTO In Both Car An Driver And Motor Trend, The Manaro Coupe That Willbe The GTO Has Only 302 HP Just like The Z-28 Camaro In America. If The GTO Has Ram Air We Will Be Making 325 Or More Horspower. The Way The Site Reports Tha It Will Be, The GTO Wins Without Any Effort. However, If It Remains The Way C&D And MT Tested It, The Camaro SS Would Probably Be The Only One To Win.

6. any way you cut it, this is a huge misstake for GM.

they should have created something that we could recognize as a GTO.<!-- Signature -->

7. I think the GTO will be cheaper than the S2000 in OZ the S2000 cost nearly 20k more. And the Monaro is way more reliable than the Honda by far and at least the GTO aint got a crappy digital dash.

8. The gto will most likely be better quality than the mustang and camaro, because it pintiac is an American bmw now.<!-- Signature -->

9. american BMW? LMAO!!!!<!-- Signature -->

10. This car is going to have 350 hp. The only other modifications (besides the LS1 powerplant) will be the badging and the front end. Read it in one of the car magazines. By 04' the Vette will be redesigned with around 450 hp. and 450 ft. lb. or torque (according to Car & Driver) so this car competing with the Vette won't be an issue. This is, despite it's roots, a GM car. Though it will be imported, it would not be wise to refer to this car as an import because it is in fact made by a U.S. company and will have a US powerplant. It's like saying an Acura built in the US isn't an import. It's an import beacuse it's built by a Japanese car manufactuer. The Holden is still built by a US corporation.

11. The car's an import. Its designed and manafactured in australia and going to be shipped on a boat. By anyones laws that's the definition of an import. Anyways, its not really all that important.

There's no major changes to the "GTO" and the monaro except the revised front end the motor in the monaro is simply detuned, and has a more restrictive exaust thats the only difference except for the programming of the computer.

Someone said this car was a joke and a shame to american muscle cars. If you do some research you'd know australia built muscle cars as well, so many that the muscle car war was ended by the federal governments intervention in the early 70s.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stormdriver8</i>
    <b>This "GTO" is a damn joke. GM has screwed up severely this time. FIRST they CANCEL an all American icon, the Camaro. NOW they bring this AUSTRALIAN car over here stateside and hit it with a GTO badge, thinking that they will make big waves. This car is a SLAP in the face of the American muscle car enthusiast.
    WAKE UP GM!!!! You can't just slap a badge like GTO (which is an American icon in itself) on an IMPORTED CAR!!! It's like calling a Civic a Cavalier or something, it's just wrong.
    I hope it doesn't sell. Maybe that will make GM wake up and go back to the drawing board to create something more original. At least put a different name on it.
    Makes me sick.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

they didnt slap the gto badge on it... they did some work on the engine and weight themselves to make it better for over here in north america... so they really arent tryin to just steal crap and need something original? how bout the bel air? corvette? that was all theirs and all original styling

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stormdriver8</i>

they didnt slap the gto badge on it... they did some work on the engine and weight themselves to make it better for over here in north america... so they really arent tryin to just steal crap and need something original? how bout the bel air? corvette? that was all theirs and all original styling</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

this is a far cry from trying to do something original. how many icons does gm have left to truly do something special with? this was their chance to wow everyonr with their brilliance. well we can see how brilliant they are now. looks like they have about 25watts in the whole corporation.<!-- Signature -->

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stormdriver8</i>

they didnt slap the gto badge on it... they did some work on the engine and weight themselves to make it better for over here in north america... so they really arent tryin to just steal crap and need something original? how bout the bel air? corvette? that was all theirs and all original styling</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

this is a far cry from trying to do something original. how many icons does gm have left to truly do something special with? this was their chance to wow everyonr with their brilliance. well we can see how brilliant they are now. looks like they have about 25watts in the whole corporation.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->This is an original car just like the new firebirds they don't have anything as far as looks to do with the old ones like this.<!-- Signature -->

15. the firebird had a gradual evolution. the gto has been out of commission for a long time. some retro styling is what brings back the nostalga. not a GTO badge.<!-- Signature -->

16. camaro and gto rocks!!! check it out gm thinks so to:

gm guy: "this rocks" heehh no seriosly:

"General Motors Press Release 8:00 a.m EST June 20, 2002

Pontiac Confirms GTO Production

DETROIT —

General Motors and its Australian division, Holden, have completed an agreement to return the legendary Pontiac GTO to U.S. highways in late 2003 as a 2004 model. Holden will produce up to 18,000 of the modern, high-performance coupes each year at its Elizabeth plant.

Bob Lutz, Chairman of GM's North American Operations, was a key player in bringing back the GTO as a modern interpretation of the legendary muscle car. After he drove the Holden Monaro during a recent trip to Australia, he knew he had found a vehicle to serve as the basis for the new GTO. "I love driving this car," Lutz said, raving about the Monaro's 5.7-liter V8, 6-speed manual transmission. "It shares that V8 heritage and a brawny, muscular stance with the classic GTO, and it will make a fine flagship for Pontiac.

The addition of the 2004 GTO to the Pontiac lineup is a giant step in Pontiac's mission to contemporize the way it expresses excitement for the 21st century. "We want to focus on creating vehicles with a clean, fresh expression of Pontiac styling and provide our customers with a 'total performance' package that delivers both impressive power and superior handling," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager.

"In the 2003 model year, we have the all-new Vibe® and the fresh look of the restyled Sunfire® and Grand Am® SE. We are following that with the totally redesigned 2004 Grand Prix® in the first quarter of 2003," said Myers. "The introduction of the new GTO in late 2003 will be the 'exclamation point" on the exciting evolution of the division, moving Pontiac performance to the next level."

2004 PONTIAC GTO

The 2004 Pontiac GTO will share much of the sculpted and clean styling of the current 2002 Holden Monaro CV8 coupe, with unique Pontiac brand character, including a dual-port grille and powered by a specially tuned version of the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 (shared with some models of the Chevrolet® Corvette®) mated to a choice of either a 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. The rear-wheel-drive coupe will feature 17" alloy wheels, 2+2 bucket seating, and a premium sound system with an integrated 6-disc CD changer. Additional performance and feature details are still being finalized and will be released closer to the public unveiling of the GTO at the Los Angeles and North American International Auto Shows.

HOLDEN MONARO

The Holden Monaro was originally introduced in 1968 and was immediately lauded as the ultimate high-performance coupe. It was the first all-Australian sports coupe of its type. Strong public sentiment led Holden officials to bring back the Monaro name for its all-new 2001 coupe. Monaro became an instant classic when it was released in Australia last October and has become the most high-profile, sought-after car on Australian roads today.

GTO HISTORY

The Pontiac GTO sprang to life in 1963 as a 1964 model. It has been called the most famous muscle car in the high-performance automobile history. Also known as "The Legend" and "The Great One," GTO is the car that started it all.

Prior to 1964, performance cars were full-size hardtops and sedans with the largest displacement engines available. But, hot rodders had known for years that they could go faster if you put big engines in smaller, lighter cars. Engine swaps were standard operating procedure for this level of car buff, but that was backyard tinkering, not corporate engineering.

Driving enthusiasts' dreams came true in October of 1963 when the $299.95 GTO option, RPO W62, quietly joined the 1964 Pontiac Tempest®/LeMans® option list. The heart of the original GTO option package was a 325-horsepower 389-cubic-inch V8, a Carter AFB four-barrel carburetor, rear-wheel drive, a hydraulic camshaft, and impressive torque. Other standard features included a heavy duty clutch, heavy duty suspension, dual exhaust, US Royal red-line tires, a 3.23:1 rear axle ratio, twin hood scoops, and an assortment of GTO emblems.

Before Pontiac ceased production after the 1974 model year, nearly 700,000 GTOs were sold."

17. is that the only thing you are going to post?

it doesnt tell us anything we dont allready know.<!-- Signature -->

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>is that the only thing you are going to post?

it doesnt tell us anything we dont allready know.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This is like the 5th time he's posted that. He's nearly on the brink of spam.<!-- Signature -->

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Gimme Fuel</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>is that the only thing you are going to post?

it doesnt tell us anything we dont allready know.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This is like the 5th time he's posted that. He's nearly on the brink of spam.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

it's a bit ridiculous.<!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from japcarsrule</i>
    <b>american BMW? LMAO!!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->It's true that's why they have the dual grill like bmw.<!-- Signature -->

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from japcarsrule</i>
    <b>american BMW? LMAO!!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->It's true that's why they have the dual grill like bmw.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

If there is so resemblance of the two grilles, HOW THE HELL does it make it an 'american bmw'. LOL. What pontiac competes with the 3-series, 5-series, m classes? That can only be answered with the cadillac division.<!-- Signature -->

22. i've never heard of someone cross shopping pontiac against bmw when they're car buying! lmao!<!-- Signature -->

23. what? the forum is now gto vs camaro? i thought it was somethin else? oh well i feel all #$%#ed up now anyways
    i have nothing to say so im gonna go cuz im all confuzed now

"My other rides your girlfriend"

24. this car is weak looking, more like a dildo rather than an agressive sports car... Pontiac just did it all wrong after the aztek. as for camaro being shut down im not surprised, i mean today's car manufacturer is more concerned with building an SUV that will tow rather than a sports car that can haul ass... what the HELL is wrong with all these companies persuing a nice SUV rather than a sports car... will someone PLEASE explain<!-- Signature -->

25. yeah, i did. in your thread.<!-- Signature -->