Re: hemi CUDA VS hemi ROADRUNNER

Discussion in '1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda' started by OZRACING, Aug 10, 2002.

1. hemi CUDA VS hemi ROADRUNNER

i hear lots of people saying that roadrunner will blow cuda a pieces, and sometimes i hear that roadrunner doesnt have a chance...

does anybody has any info??? (on stock)<!-- Signature -->

2. I would Think It would all depend on how the cars were set up. For instance 4-speed vs. Automatic, Rear end gear ratio. As far as stock A stock shoot out goes I think the outcome would be very close. The two cars have the same 426 Hemi (underrated at 425hp.) and the cars wheigh about the same. It all depends on who driving and if they can get the traction. Not to mention if they really want to go all out in A $85,000 car.

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from olskool69</i>
    <b>I would Think It would all depend on how the cars were set up. For instance 4-speed vs. Automatic, Rear end gear ratio. As far as stock A stock shoot out goes I think the outcome would be very close. The two cars have the same 426 Hemi (underrated at 425hp.) and the cars wheigh about the same. It all depends on who driving and if they can get the traction. Not to mention if they really want to go all out in A $85,000 car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

he said on stock

4. lol cuda vs roadrunner?

how bout both vs the dart hemi of 1964???

only 2 cars could ever be bought off the showroom floor and immediately run 10's in the 1/4 mile; the 64 hemi dart and the McLaren F1<!-- Signature -->

5. good point about the darts. Roadrunners and hemmis have about identical stats off the showroom, but you could order so many different packages and options it really depends. The hemi or 440 dart could blow this away, but then again, so could the hemi Savoy and getting out of chrystler, the fairlane t-bolt.

6. Ever seen a dart with a HEMI or 440? Don't go over a speed bump taller than 3 inches, or you lose your exhaust! (they're not good street cars)

7. Richard Petty could tell you in a heartbeat.

8. anyone would know that a comparison against to completely different cars would be futile. a cuda would be compared to challenger and roadrunner would be compared to the charger. one would normally compare a roadrunner and a cuda but y would one want to. they are categorically two completely different cars. and u would only be able to run 10's in that dart if you could actually get traction so u would not lose time. but i dont believe that because a 427 shelby cobra cant even do that and a shelby cobra has more power more horses and is lighter. i think that you are fanticizing about something that will never happen without a roll cage, carbon fiber panels, and a tubed rear end!

9. first of mopar muscle did a race between a 4 speed hemi roadrunner and a 4 speed hemi cuda and the cuda won

next i think the darts hes talking about are the 68 hurst darts and barracudas that were made by chrysler than sent to hurst where they stuck a cross-rammed 426 hemi making somewhere arund 600 ponys they were also lightened with fiberglass front ends and had slicks on them. they only made about 50 of each with hemis and about 30 more of each with 440's they were also not street legal ive never heard any figures on drag times for these cars but i bet 10's would be about right. ive also heard it is fairly easy to get these cars to make aroud 750 horses

10. Again false data from the light knowledged...

1964 Darts didn't come with Hemi's. 1968 was the first year... They were the Super stock (SS) and they were sent to hurst, and I think they ran about 580 Horse, and DID run 10's of the showroom floor. I beleive the first day on the track for a 1968 SS Hemi Barracuda was 10.31, and 138 mph... That's just from what I remember...could be a little off. <!-- Signature -->

11. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Trumpanche</i>
    <b>Ever seen a dart with a HEMI or 440? Don't go over a speed bump taller than 3 inches, or you lose your exhaust! (they're not good street cars) </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

WOW! What kinda streetbumps you got at your place?lol....

Just the exhaust? A civic would lose it's roof...

12. Didn't in 1964 Dodge make the Polara 500 race Hemi that ran 11's stock?<!-- Signature -->

13. first of all the roadrunner and the cuda are pretty much in the same class, and if you think that a roadrunner compares to a charger then put up a charger against a cuda and see waht happens. The cuda blows it away no contest. but the roadrunner it a different question. Im not sure but i believe that the roadrunner was bigger, and the REAL race is between the Hemi Cuda and the Hemi Challenger. Dont bring in any other P.O.C. non-mopars in this one because its not that kind of fight. You dont even suggest a shelby cobra because they arent even the same class!(sorry if the stupid mother #$%#er wasnt in this forum, but i think he is) frankly i dont know whod win but i think thetop of the line stock between a hemi cuda and a hemi roadrunner would be the cuda just cause its lighter, and a little smaller. But the challenger and the cuda would probably be neck and neck. Despite what most of you think, they arent actually the same car, just happen to look exactly alike. But they are two different cars, not just badged with two different names.<!-- Signature -->

14. this right but don't ya seem to forget that the roadrunner is more longer than the cuda? so more weight to take!<!-- Signature -->

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Corax</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Trumpanche</i>
    <b>Ever seen a dart with a HEMI or 440? Don't go over a speed bump taller than 3 inches, or you lose your exhaust! (they're not good street cars) </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Just the exhaust? A civic would lose it's roof...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hello,
    The 1968 Hemi Dart was never street legal. It was a factory built racecar for drag racing. As such there was NO EXHAUST SYSTEM, only open headers. The interior was stripped, they had a single bucket seat, role cage, no heater, no window cranks, no upholstery. They came with a race version of the 426 Hemi that had higher compression and more horsepower then the 425HP street version. It also came with a fiberglass tilt nose.
    These cars are the fastest factory built cars ever to see an NHRA event but they are true racecars not street cars.

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Corax</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Trumpanche</i>

Just the exhaust? A civic would lose it's roof...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hello,
    The 1968 Hemi Dart was never street legal. It was a factory built racecar for drag racing. As such there was NO EXHAUST SYSTEM, only open headers. The interior was stripped, they had a single bucket seat, role cage, no heater, no window cranks, no upholstery. They came with a race version of the 426 Hemi that had higher compression and more horsepower then the 425HP street version. It also came with a fiberglass tilt nose.
    These cars are the fastest factory built cars ever to see an NHRA event because they are true racecars not street cars.

17. those cars were built to 80 ex by mr norm grand spaulding dodge of chicago. they were known as the dodge dart gt/ss for super stock.

18. So back to the topic, which would win out of a Hemi Roadrunner and a Hemi Cuda?

19. This car rules! Although it copies the camaros it has the best looks of the day.

The cudas are a few hundred pounds lighter so were a little faster the roadrunners( E body vs. B body) but neither could get traction in the day because of the tires.

The 1968 Baracudas could do 10.8 sec quarters with race tires of the day. Now racers are getting 9's stock with new tires. To make the car street legal they included the mufflers in the trunk!

20. That would be a tough call but I would say the Cuda would edge it out. Just my opinion and nothing else.

21. word olskool. all of the mopars equipped with the 426 Hemi had very similiar statistics, differences only appearing if one car was much heavier or lighter, had a different tranny/drivertrain, and add ons. most hemi powered mopars did 150mph, and 1/4mile times between low 14s and mid 12s(depending on tires and gear ratios).

22. the two cars are very evenly matched but the roadrunner had a biger engine (i dont think the cuda came with a 426 hemi. maybe im wrong).
    it should be known that the roadrunner was a different car, it came standard with the 426, only 1000 were made, it wasnt street legal (at the time) and it came with a warning notice that states something like this...
    this car is equipt with a 426 ci engine and is designed for supervised aceleration trials and is not for use on roads.

i must admit i like the roadrunner beter but i love cudas.

the 3 best hemi engine cars are...
    1. 1969 pltmouth roadrunner
    2. 1970 hemi cuda
    3. 1969 dodge charger rt

23. By the way, last time i checked the roadrunner made a paff at around 12.1, i think the cuda is faster but the roadrunner is far more desireable

24. when the roadrunner debuted in 1968, it came equipped with the 383 Chrysler B-block rated at 335HP, only 5 more Hp than the regular 383, but had engine parts taken from the Chrysler 440 V8...The lowest priced Belvedere two door sedan at the time was the basis for the RoadRunner design...the Hemi was an option in 1968 for the Roadrunner, (a pricey one at $714 bucks)

anyways, if I had to choose between a Hemi Cuda (there is such a thing, btw...the 1965 Hemi Under Glass Barracuda, and the 1970 Hemi 'Cuda) and the Hemi Roadrunner...I would probably choose the Roadrunner...or maybe the Cuda...hell, I dunno! lol...

25. 2 differant animals all together. The Cuda is a E body while the Road Runner is a B body. The Road Runners rival was the Superbee not the Charger. The rival of the Cuda was the Challenger. All the cars i just mention did come with Hemi's as options. In a race, its all up to the drivers, how much they weigh and how good of a driver they are. And for the dude who said the Cuda copied off the Camaro, dude.. Quit on life, no way did they copy off the Camaro.