Re: How is it possible?

Discussion in '1936 Auto Union Typ C' started by Big Kev, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Definition of ugly: Auto Union Type C<!-- Signature -->

2. the 1930's = golden years for grand prix racing, men were men and a lot of them were killed, I mean 500+hp on pizza-cutter tyres.

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from imprezawrx14</i>
    <b>To get that much hp and have that high of a top speed back then?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

very simple. take a 6litre-engine, put a compressor with a pressure of 195kPa and as the result you get 520hp ;)
    and the top speed you achieve, if you build the car aerodynamically and under the management of Ferdinand Porsche ;)
    By the way the top speed isn't correct, it's not 195mph/319kph but 211mph/340kph. it was the fastest grandprix-car of it's time.<!-- Signature -->

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RacingManiac</i>
    <b>It's a huge engine, supercharged, with not power limitation.....</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->This is a HUGE engine for sure.<!-- Signature -->

5. it was also possible not just because of anything to do with the companies, chassis, engine, or ferdinand porsche, but how about hitler? he was stamping the nazi ensignia on all this cars, as he was funding them (auto union and mb) with all the money they would ever need.<!-- Signature -->

6. it was also easier to get parts under the nazi regime

7. and who beat this peice of Hitler ordered german technical wonder

Alfa Romeo
    in the type 33

a great day for the italians

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mike10</i>
    <b>a beast of an antique! 520 bhp is astounding for a '36 car! and 195 mph in a car with 1 inch of room beside you would make me nervous!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->scares the shit outta me!<!-- Signature -->

9. Dr. Porsche designed the engine and don't doubt the power and speed of old cars. Just b/c it is old doesn't mean it can't be powerful and fast. Older race engines were typically designed to be slow revving on account of the fact that it was more reliable. Bugatti and Alfa Romeo would beg to differ, but it goes to show that Bentley won LeMans 4 times while Bugatti stuggled to keep up during the late 1920's season. Like Bentley, the German brands, Auto Union and Diamler-Benz both relied on big, slow revving engines, which had long strokes, short bores, lots of torque and were very reliable. A Type C with Brend Rosemeyer behind the wheel could easily beat out almost anything on the track, except for Rudolf Caraciola in his Mercedes W125.

10. ...and what about the Auto-Union record-breaking version that took the life of Rosemeyer in 1938. 270 mph + , i believe....

11. God! got to love gran prix racing back then

12. ya, it was over 270 MPH, I heard it was 274 about a year ago on TV...<!-- Signature -->

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GTBugatti</i>
    <b>It was only 6 liters in a time when 4 cylinders were displacing up to 8 liters. This great feat of engineering was so great only because of 1 thing and 1 thing only, a man named Ferdinand Porsche. thank you</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

ya go Porsche. all good things have come from Ferdinand Porsche

14. Many others also had a hand in the making of this excellent race car. Without the likings of Auto Union this car could of never been made. But Porsche was not the main man in the process of this car.

15. This car is absolutely awesome. Not only for its 520 bhp and not only for its 195 mph. It represents the genious of its creators and that's especially true for Mr. Ferdinand Porsche. They must have been quite brave to try out a thing a like this. But the result is fabulous in every respect.

16. must hand it to the german engineering. damn there isnt a thing better! america needs to catch up and get off of these suvs and the like. c'mon america, lets use our heads. were the best. we should make the best cars also. just my opinion<!-- Signature -->

17. a beast of an antique! 520 bhp is astounding for a '36 car! and 195 mph in a car with 1 inch of room beside you would make me nervous!

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from imprezawrx14</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RacingManiac</i>
    <b>It's a huge engine, supercharged, with not power limitation.....</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A huge engine in that small body?? Sweet!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That's the approch of the Germans back then. The rule maker was trying to limit the car to use smaller engines, so they limit how heavy the car can be. The way the German go about that rule is they used their best ability to make the metal as light as possible to make the lightest chassis possible, and build a huge engine to go with it.<!-- Signature -->

19. It was only 6 liters in a time when 4 cylinders were displacing up to 8 liters. This great feat of engineering was so great only because of 1 thing and 1 thing only, a man named Ferdinand Porsche. thank you<!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from wierd al </i>
    <b>Definition of ugly: Auto Union Type C</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    incorrect, but feel free to try again<!-- Signature -->

21. How is it possible?

To get that much hp and have that high of a top speed back then?<!-- Signature -->

22. It's a huge engine, supercharged, with not power limitation.....<!-- Signature -->

23. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RacingManiac</i>
    <b>It's a huge engine, supercharged, with not power limitation.....</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A huge engine in that small body?? Sweet!<!-- Signature -->

24. yeah it is amazing for those days! they had quite strong - but not light - materials back then. They didn't have the strength/weight of modern alloys to build high reving engines. Its just a matter of using more good-old solid metal to make a engine stronger to withstand supercharging.
    4000-5000rpm was the domain of high end sports cars with lots of very small cylinders on short crank strokes. Nowdays F1 cars push 18,000rpm.

<!-- Signature -->

25. I think Audi got its signature quattro logo from Auto Union, each circle represents Audi, Horch, Wanderer, and DKW.