Re: How much hp does this car really have?

Discussion in '1968 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L88 Coupe' started by IMPREZA 1, Aug 9, 2002.

1. How much hp does this car really have?

I know it's rated at 435hp but I have heard it really has closer to 600hp can anyone conferm this?<!-- Signature -->

2. it says 600 right there

3. This was one bad car!!!

4. This engine isn't rated at 435hp. The engine that is rated at 435hp is the 3 deuse L79 427ci V8. The L88 has a single holey 850 carb. This engine is rated at 430hp, but it's probably between 500 and 550hp. I don't know where this site gets its figures but there are a few that don't seem exactly accurate.

5. An estimate of 560 GHP is made on my Corvette poster. I would presume that if a car has 560 GHP, that what is honestly getting to the pavement would be in the ballpark of 500-510 HP. If you take 10% HP off 560 due to friction loss (56 HP in this case) you will get 504, which fits in the 500-510 range.<!-- Signature -->

6. About 550 if you put one on the dyno. It was 430@3200 RPM but once you got it up there.... Holy american muscle.<!-- Signature -->

7. This is the unsung hero of the Corvette world. I didn't even know it existed until a few years ago. An all aluminum engine in a Vette in 68'!! Unbelievable!!

8. the engine has aluminium heads but the rest was made of cast iron. the engine was underestimated at 435 hp but real hp was nearby 575hp

9. Dude, if this was all aluminum engine, and had bad ass tires, drivetrain aluminum, and carbon fiber bodywork...................... holy freakin cow. One can only imagine.

10. exactly, this car kicks ass and goes fast.

11. the L-88 and ZL-1 were both rated at 430 hp which was a joke. Both were tuned for wide open headers or race exhaust.. NOT for the restrictive stock system that was put on. Even when tested the cars were built to under-perform. they arrived for testing with an automatic transmission and 3.36:1 gears and stock exhausts. Had Chevrolet built the gears and transmission as they did the L-71/89 .. aka manual trans with 4:11's then the L-88 would’ve easily stomped the L-89 into the ground. The L-88 was never advertised as the high performance racecar it was. People were expected to remove that exhaust, and race the car, since the L-88 and ZL-1 were both designed to never see trips to the grocery store. they were made to race, and were tuned to do so... no fan shroud, jet fuel as a minimum, no radio, no heater (except for 69) etc etc. with the headers on as they should be the L-88 put out approximately 600 hp. the ZL-1 was actually producing slightly less power but with some minor porting 600 was attainable. even with the less power the ZL-1 more than made up for it with the 200+lb weight savings. the L-88s actually were Big Blocks that weighed only 60 lbs more than a small block with their aluminum heads. after all was said and done the ZL-1 BB tipped the scales at 25 LBS LESS then a standard small block. imagine an LT-1 out there with 600 hp. and I do mean literally. the ZL-1 car weighed just a couple pounds over 2800.
    Again, internally the motors were NOT the same. with the ZL-1, the heads along with the specially cast aluminum block, had extra bolt holes to provide additional clamping force between the head and block surfaces. the intake also had an open plenum and some minor differences in the ports. the cam was also slightly different. as with the L-88 the ZL-1 had a HUGE cam that made idling a laborous task... they both sacrificed low end for all out high rpm racing.

The L-88 was installed from the factory WITH aluminum heads. the ZL-1 was all aluminum. Two ZL-1's were made, and yes one is at Rogers' Corvette Center in Orlando. I believe they are "valued" if you can call it that at 500,000 US.
    L-88:
    5140 forged steel crankshaft
    12.5:1 compression
    Valves: 2.19" intake, 1.84" exhaust
    850 CFM Holley Four-barrell
    high rise aluminum intake
    CAM:
    solid lifter
    .5365" lift on intake side, .5560 exhaust
    duration: 337 intake, 340 exhaust

7/16" pushrod
    "long-slot" stamped steel rocker arms
    "chicken-wire" screen topping off the carburetor. Those large gaps were to flow air not filter it.
    95 motor octane minimum
    1000 rpm idle, automatics were set to 2k commonly. please keep both feet firmly on the brake while shifting to drive. thank you

12. My above two posts contain a magazine scan that holda road Test done with an L88.

13. modern hp tests for production engines are done with all accessories running so for instance the corvette has 350 hp with the ac on the alternator the power steering and it is also not moving wihich means a higher air temp at the intake. so a regular vette probably grosses at around 400 hp this one after drive train loss and accessories will probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of 490 hp but this could only be confirmed by actual tests for all we know it could net 550 hp

14. These cars had 560 HP...they were reated at 430 HP on the dyno but that was 1000RPM under the max performance for these vettes, therefore it technically wasnt false advertising when GM put these cars up for sale

15. All I know is that the 427s in the covettes has between 390 and 410 but Im not sure on the L88.

16. Okay now at this time period a good car with a manuel would loose 20% horsepower from the flywheel to the drive wheels. So 560HP would mean 448HP at the rear wheels for a good car at this time period. Also at this time they used Gross HP ,thats measured with only needed parts on the engine . On average the difference was 20% however this car is so under rated that there is no telling .

17. I own a 68 vette that was passed down to me from my father that has a L88 ,all parts are stamped feb. of 68 the motor is still at factory specs.but car is not original. People that my father knew that owned racing shops in detroit were curious as to how much hp the motor actually had , so they put the the motor on a dyno and gave it tests the hp was unbelievable ,the test showed that with matching headers my motor produced 608 hp. Lets just say I still have those matching headers , with 4 inch side pipes.

18. this car was rated at 430 hp but was capable of producing up to 560 hp it is a rare car because it was an expensive upgrade and people didnt know that it contained so much power. Another example of a corvette like this was the L89 option for the 69' vette. Rated at only 425 hp (10hp less than the L71) it actually pushed out an outstanding 560 hp! only 20 were made because of the $1500 upgrade.

19. I think this car has about 540 hp at the rear wheels.

P.S, why don't they have the 1969 Corvette ZL1 on this site?
    It could kick this cars @$$ easily. And ,who asked for your
    fu$%!ng opinion? No one1 So ,shut the f!@k up ,will you?

20. the L-88 motor is rated at 560hp, but was said to have 435 in order to lower insurance costs

21. more info on the zl1 vette

hi all

there were 1 or two zl1 vettes built. one was driven by zora arkus duntov.With a 2.73 axle ratio it topped 210mph and with the 4.88 axle ratio its quarter mile time were near the 10.5sec.
    The zl1 was an engine that proved very successful from 1968 to 1972in canam especially with denis hulme and the mac laren team.

regards

426hemistage8

22. Re: more info on the zl1 vette

All of these #s are gross hp. It was rated at 430 for insurance purposes. It actually had about 560 in 67 & 68. It had about 585 in 69. Minor exhaust mods brought it up over 600.

23. Re: more info on the zl1 vette

These figuers on this website are a little exaggarated the original L-88 was actully rated at 430hp@5200RPM with 450LB-FT@4400RPM for the 1968 vette and 1969 vette the only diffrences in the engine between those years were the compression in 1968 was 12.5:1 and in 1969 it was 12.0:1 but featured a single 950 cfm daytona 3V carburator(in the 1969 vette) as opposed to the single 850cfm holley 4v carburator used on the 1968 vette i guess it was to compinsate for the lower compression but the 1969 vette with the L-88 was the last year with a high compression 427 and marked the end of an era which is a shame.

24. Re:

There were two Corvette ZL-1s built. A yellow 69 Corvette ZL-1 is owned by Roger's Corvette Center in Orlando, Florida. The other, a white 69, is owned by Jack Cheskaty of Denver, Colorado who is also the original owner of the car. Jack payed $9,819 in 1968 for the car which had a little over 100 miles on it at the dealer (put on a quarter mile at a time) and drove it home from Salt Lake City, Utah to Denver, Colorado. He later topped it with an 1100 CFM Holley 4-barrel, bolted on Doug Thorley racing headers, super tall 5.13:1 rear axle and street Tiger Paw tires in back. His best run was a 10.5 at a little over 130 mph. The ZL-1 produced 600 hp when it was opened up with racing headers. It also revved to 7000 RPM.