Re: If you know your stuff about the rx7, please help me out.

Discussion in '2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RZ' started by Cobra R Stinger, Aug 10, 2002.

1. i BEEN TO THAT SITE BEFORE LOT OF INFO
    <!-- Signature -->

2. RX-7's are definately great looking cars, fast as hell, and probably a lot of the other good shit people on here say. As far as Supra vs RX-7 I was really up in the air as to which was better and then I read in in Sport Compact Car (forgot the month but it's the issue with the "Gravity Games (G-Games)" that Rotary engines have a nasty habit of shitting out under high boost if your not careful. If I am gonna blow that kind of money on a car I want one that I can do some serious work on and not have to worry about weather or not I am gonna toast the engine. I know that modding any engine will decrease the engine life. It's just that Rotary engines seem to decrease a little faster if you are not VERY CAREFUL when supping it up.

3. Ok<!-- Signature -->

4. $28 will get you a very sexy series 6 or series 7 car in good condition.
    Plus you'll have $ left over for mods - first things is have a whole new engine management ECU put in and mapped professionally on a dyno. Get a pod filter, new downpipe and 3" exhaust. that should set you up with up to 350hp for less than $5000. Enough to slaughter a viper.

You'll have more than enough to take out pretty much any comercially available car.

"The RX-7 may be a performance highwater mark for years to come... The RX-7's performance is awe-inspiring. It's with 1 foot of being the shortest stopping street car we've ever tested; ... and grips the road harder than the best race cars of only a few years ago... This is the best hardcore sports car in its price range, maybe in any price range... The RX-7 redefines road manners for its class, the handling feels nimble and natural... No sports car in its price range delivers the same level of sensory gratification for the enthusiast driver." Motor Trend, proclaiming the RX-7 the Import Car of the Year, Feb. 1993.

5. To get power near 12,000 rpms you'd need some MASSIVE peripheral ports or perhaps narrower twin peripheral ports if you want power below 7000rpm.

While these kind of ports are reliable compared to monster ports you have to replace your seals twice as often.
    Some PP's are driveable, I've driven one, buts its quite a engineering feat to get that!

Unless you could do a DIY exhaust side port, plus some port switching device like mazdas new RX-8 you can't have power above 8000rpm without loosing a streetable car. Having side exhaust ports means you can get power like a bridge port yet have gobs of low end torque like a standard port.

I have heard of a experimental rotary with four side ports per rotor, it would rev past 10,000rpm and idle at 900rpm. Again this is megabux of customisation, most rotorheads go are happy to sacrafice pracitcality for power.

You could make a streetable Peripheral port rotary but you'd need a valve to shut off the PP at low revs, much like OMC's design. If you did have that you'd have the street rotary from hell as it'd idle at 1000rpm and rev past 12,000rpm.

35Psi is about the limit in boost pressure for a factory engine. Then you can have about a 100 shot of NOx on top of that. So 1200hp is the definate breaking point of a factory 13B. Just enough to get down the drag strip.

Where the hell do you get titanium rotors from anyway? I've never actually seen a aftermarket rotor - I'm sure there are some - as mazdas items do just fine to four digit power.

6. Glad to see that you took an interest in the FD3S. Here's a couple things you should know. Check to make sure that all the recalls have been taken care of. Ditch that factory radiator. Get one from Fluidyne or Koyo, and a FAL electric fan for good measure. Get some aftermarket gauges, particularly an A/F ratio, boost, and oil pressure gauges. Don't go overboard with power mods. Just stick with the basic performance upgrades. I.E. intake, downpipe, cat-back exhaust, pulleys, ignition, and such. You don't need a massive single turbocharger. If you feel that the stock turbos aren't enough or that all those vacuum lines are irritating, go with '99+ spec turbos or a decent size turbocharger. Remember, the RX-7 was not ment to be a drag car, its a canyon carver. And perhaps the two most important things I can tell you are theses: be picky about buying a used RX-7 by finding out as much as you can about that particular car, and if you take good care of the car it will take good care of you.

7. Glad to see that you took an interest in the FD3S. Here's a couple things you should know. Check to make sure that all the recalls have been taken care of. Ditch that factory radiator. Get one from Fluidyne or Koyo, and a FAL electric fan for good measure. Get some aftermarket gauges, particularly an A/F ratio, boost, and oil pressure gauges. Don't go overboard with power mods. Just stick with the basic performance upgrades. I.E. intake, downpipe, cat-back exhaust, pulleys, ignition, and such. You don't need a massive single turbocharger. If you feel that the stock turbos aren't enough or that all those vacuum lines are irritating, go with '99+ spec turbos or a decent size turbocharger. Remember, the RX-7 was not ment to be a drag car, its a canyon carver. And perhaps the two most important things I can tell you are theses: be picky about buying a used RX-7 by finding out as much as you can about that particular car, and if you take good care of the car it will take good care of you.