Re: Imports rule!!! GTO is another gas gozzling waste...

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by Heyman, Aug 10, 2002.

1. i agree with most of your views on this. the one thing i would say is that the "GTO" badge was used simply to promote sales. they did'nt want to bring back an old icon, just the hype of the name.<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>i agree with most of your views on this. the one thing i would say is that the "GTO" badge was used simply to promote sales. they did'nt want to bring back an old icon, just the hype of the name.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Oh, so your saying that they made the old gto just to make better sales, because it was based on the chevelle?? It is an old icon it has styling ques from pontiac, just like the old gtos had styling ques from pontiac although it was based on a chevelle.<!-- Signature -->

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>i agree with most of your views on this. the one thing i would say is that the "GTO" badge was used simply to promote sales. they did'nt want to bring back an old icon, just the hype of the name.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Oh, so your saying that they made the old gto just to make better sales, because it was based on the chevelle?? It is an old icon it has styling ques from pontiac, just like the old gtos had styling ques from pontiac although it was based on a chevelle.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

where was the chevelle designed?<!-- Signature -->

4. It's more respectful to call this a GTO than to use the Malibu, Impala, Nova, and Monte Carlo names like they have been.

RWD, bad ass American bruiser V8, undoubtedly handles like a mini dump truck... how is that not true to the GTO name?

I personally don't think that they're trying to cash in on the name. They've been talking about a new GTO for a few years. I see it this way... GM is in trouble. They're lagging in sales because they're lagging in prestige. And before you start on about the F Bodies, remember that it takes a considerable amount of money and resources to design an all new car. They will be redesigned, GM knows that it needs the F Bodies. But they have to get back into the fray as a competitive automaker first. Bob Lutz has all the right ideas so far, I think he'll pull them out of the toilet.

There have been great things happening at GM lately... the new Cadillacs (love them or hate them, people are taking notice), the Solstice concepts, and the C5 Z06 to name a few. The F bodies will come back better than before. And in the meantime, GTO will handle the prestige end of things.

5. well you guys can still call it a bloody import coz it is!!
    what do i mean i can hear you ask??!!
    its made by holden and in asutralia it is called a monaro
    GM is using its worldwide power to import aussie cars to the U.S hahaha

6. #57 shaunus1, Aug 25, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    for all of you out there who think this the new GTO is some jap import or 'all american' car u got ur facts all wrong. The GTO was developed and built in Australia, it is simply being rebadged for the US market. Over here it is the Holden Monaro and kicks just as much ass.

http://www.boredomrelief.cjb.net

7. Yeah a gas guzzling waste with a peak torque at low rpm so when u r driving your tuned civic at 5000 rpm's so the 8 turbos kick in and poping the clutch every second to keep it under the redline. I can stay in the low end of the tac and not have too shift and smoke your ass in a drag race. Just to remind you americia has never played asia game of turbos v8's all the way. If not for economy for the sound it more then makes up for gas.

8. Heh, very intresting conversation....indeed! It seems as though not everybody likes this car and thats only natural. Believe me I'm not saying this car is garbage....however I will be willing to say that many people who owned the original GTOs and lived in the era of musle cars when they came out...wouldn't really like the ones that are going to be put into production now. However..the styling for that car was the ideal and popular style for the time, companies usually tend to change a body style suit the popular styling lines of the generation it will be sold to...and even if the car was not originally designed to be a GTO and was just dubbed that for appealing porposes...it would seem to me that GM did this because they felt that it resembled the original GTO in some way (just my asumption. However in anycase it is slightly above average for today's standards of domestic cars, however in compairison with the older ones...I'm not really amused.
    To rex4ex your logic is strange yet believeable, yes I can see what you are saying about GM turning into a coorporate entity rather than a parent company with many competitive subgroups. Buick, Pontiac, Chevy,etc all of them used to swap engines all the time however they did have their own engines....now almost all of them use the same LS1, with specific tuning options accordind to the car...what ever happened to the 403olds, 455superduty,or the 383 that went into the GT0s?

9. Re:

Good post. **** you r!cers.