Re: In top fuel a V-8 has 3000 horsepower!!!

Discussion in '1998 Mazda Pettit Racing RX-7 Banzai' started by z28infront, Aug 10, 2002.

1. In top fuel a V-8 has 3000 horsepower!!!

Well can a rotary make 3k???

2. well, there up to 7000 horsepower....<!-- Signature -->

3. If this 2 litre(three rotor) engine was the same size as a top fuel dragster engine it would have 2100hp.

But this rotary wouldn't need rebuilding every 35 seconds of run time, try more like 10k miles.

V8 not so hot now ah?

I know a naturally aspirated triple rotor engine will make ~500hp on street gas. So thats 244 bhp litre and not blower or whiff of nitromethane in sight.
    There are 2.6 litre NA rotarys that make over 600bhp.

<!-- Signature -->

4. id like to see a top fuel dragster move in a direction other than a straight line......
    dumb shit<!-- Signature -->

5. how can you call yourself a car god you like imports as i always say imports suck. and they don't rebuilt after every fun after about a weekend of racing. and to the guy who posted this get your stats before you post this 3000 out of acohol funny cars 7000 out of top fuel and the guy that said rotorys need rebuild after 10k that sucks vettes and comaros and all other american muscle can go at least 100k if you don't hotrod it all the time like you damn import fans do

6. There are 20B triple rotors punching out about 800bhp and Racing Beat has screwed 1000hp out of a triple turbo PP 13G. That's not too bad when you consider that these engines are only 2 litres in capacity! Also, due to the design of the rotary, it's not simply a case of making a five or six rotor engine and then chasing the power that way. The flexing forces placed on the eccentric shaft would be enormous.<!-- Signature -->

7. Do 3000 horsepower, NOT A CHANCE!!!

8. I do love the RX-7 and it is a real SUPERCAR, just a V-8 can be pushed more. A re-build on a top feul V-8 is every three quarter mile races. So horsepower does have it's price. With 550 bhp what would the re-build be on this car if it were raced???

9. I do know the 3 rotor can be pushed to 1000hp, how much further I don't know. 4 rotor nat asp I seen best is 700 out of the R26B. The bottom line as to why it can't make more is to do with the apex seals - they are only held in by springs and a bit if rubber!

10. top fuel V-8's actually make like 7000hp

but then consider this

they are rebuilt every RUN ( great if you've got a warranty that covers engine damage every 0.25 miles )
    they run nitromethane, not gasoline
    they are supercharged
    they are 8.0+ liters
    they have no exhaust system, no cats, just a pipe that leads air out

i really dont get the point of this

11. yo this v8 u talkin bout.......prob american car......
    All american cars have muscle but way a shitload. Japanese cars kick ur asses.....Ok....u think that V-8 is amzing..everybody that supports Japanese cars.....Go get the most recent Turbo Magazine.
    A 4 cylinder Integra engine pumps out 4000 yes four thousand horse power so lets see ur damn ameircan cars wit a v4 pull that shit......i'm out

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from centraldogg69</i>
    <b>yo this v8 u talkin bout.......prob american car......
    All american cars have muscle but way a shitload. Japanese cars kick ur asses.....Ok....u think that V-8 is amzing..everybody that supports Japanese cars.....Go get the most recent Turbo Magazine.
    A 4 cylinder Integra engine pumps out 4000 yes four thousand horse power so lets see ur damn ameircan cars wit a v4 pull that shit......i'm out</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    It's inline4 or I-4. There's no V4...<!-- Signature -->

13. i agree with the guy that mentioned the drag racer in import tuner good point. but the #$%#ing idiot that made the first comment, whom i hope reads this. listen you #$%#ing idiot. you just compared a top fuel dragster to a road going daily drivable car. idiot. like it was mentioned before the drag racer has no true [front to rear] exhaust system. second of all the engine doesn't even run on gasoline it runs on nitromethane. and it's rebuilt after ever 1/4 mile race. #$%#ing moron get it through your #$%#ing dumbassed redneck head. learn your shit about cars and know it right. then talk inteligently with the rest of us. who the #$%# compares a professional race car which is owned by a team which has many sponsors that provide a hell of a lot of $$$ to run something like that. appreciate what this car is and please no more bullshit. i apologize to everyone else for taking so much time.

rotary power all the way<!-- Signature -->

14. u idiot theyare in a totally differnt class... whydo u even compare?<!-- Signature -->

15. imagine what something with 8 rotors would be caipable of.....ouch

16. yeah but a 3 rotor does 8s-9s easily with less then 1000.<!-- Signature -->

17. if you have a v8 with the same displasemnt as a rotary the rotary would win with several 100 hp!!!!!!!

18. To the jackass who said that American 4cyl cant make as much power as a Riceburner you can suck on a cathador! I am going to tell a story about the guys at Dodge who created a, monster known as the Wraith.
    You may have seen an old charlie sheen move by this title featuring this car. It was a concept car yes, but there where 15 produced over all 2 for the movie 1 for nascar(as the pacecar) another for the Dodge hall of fame and the rest where sold to private collectors.
    This car was an amazing work of art. A rear engine, AWD with 500 unassited horsepower. This isnt the amazing part, catch this the car was capable of over 2000bhp but they never tapped it why i dont know but the Jap market tried and is still trying to get the specs on the air delivery system. The engine is a lot like the rx7's it was rotary, but it had a super turbo that wasnt even attached to the engine, as for the aerodynamics, they used a special program that was used to design jet fighterplanes and rockets, the car had one of the lowest drag coefficients ever. and it would "smoke" every little pussy Rx7,supra and sure as hell would leave your moms grocerie getter civic in its dust.

Dont dis US cars imports are trash and you poor biotches know it.

19. what do you need 5 million horsepower for anyway. while your at it you might as well take out the d$%# steering wheel because all your going to do is go in a straight line. this car could tear up any V8 on any street course. while your V8 may have more horsepower this rx weighes a whole sh#%load less. this rx has a 2 liter engine while your v8 takes at least 5 liters. rxs kick a$$!

20. "To the jackass who said that American 4cyl cant make as much power as a Riceburner you can suck on a cathador! I am going to tell a story about the guys at Dodge who created a, monster known as the Wraith.
    You may have seen an old charlie sheen move by this title featuring this car. It was a concept car yes, but there where 15 produced over all 2 for the movie 1 for nascar(as the pacecar) another for the Dodge hall of fame and the rest where sold to private collectors.
    This car was an amazing work of art. A rear engine, AWD with 500 unassited horsepower. This isnt the amazing part, catch this the car was capable of over 2000bhp but they never tapped it why i dont know but the Jap market tried and is still trying to get the specs on the air delivery system. The engine is a lot like the rx7's it was rotary, but it had a super turbo that wasnt even attached to the engine, as for the aerodynamics, they used a special program that was used to design jet fighterplanes and rockets, the car had one of the lowest drag coefficients ever. and it would "smoke" every little pussy Rx7,supra and sure as hell would leave your moms grocerie getter civic in its dust.
    Dont dis US cars imports are trash and you poor biotches know it."

Just be quiet and let somewhat that knows what they are talking about adress this issue. Of coarse there are domestic I-4 that can bring in the power like japanese cars....afterall, they have the same connections with leading engine developers as Japanese and European firms do. But dont try to blow a bunch of bull up these people....The Wraith NEVER, NEVER, NEVER was capable of 2000HP with its I-4. Also, what the hell are you talking "unassited horsepower"? What do you mean by that....because for your information, the 2.2L in the Wraith was boosted and intercooled to 23psi and made 440HP....NOT 2000HP, dont even joke like that. I cant belive you would make something up like that thinking noone would know better. Now, there are plenty of racers, and tuners who have gotten near 1000HP with domestic I-4 engines, such as the Turbo II Dodge engine(like this Inceptors) and the Iron Duke. However, I have never ever seen one that was ever raced to be 1000HP, possibly some iron duke drag engine.

But why the hell would you try to call japanese engineering in terms of I-4 "trash". That is absolutly stupid, and you prove it by your lack of knowledge of japenese engineering AND even the domestic engineering you are trying to support.

21. can i just throw in BMWs 1983 formula 1 engine?

1500cc 4cyl(yes, go ahead, laugh, 1.5-litres)...running 67psi turbo boost. In qualifying sessions in the 1983 season, the engine could produce up to 1450 HP and usually raced reliably with 1000-1100 HP

so if u put 5 of these engines together to make 7500cc, u get 7250 HP....id like to see any american engine with only 7500cc get anywhere near that figure, 8000cc+ dragsters only get about 6000 HP

so dont anybody get too excited about american top fuel dragsters, theyre only the best because nobody else bothers making them

as for rotary engines, ive got a video of a dyno test of a Mazda RX7....it produced 710 HP from only the 13B-REW 2-rotor motor, and thats only with normal gasoline, so that suggests a 2-litre 3-rotor would happily produce 1065hp

anybody know any american 2-litre engines that r good for 1065hp on normal gasoline?....that r street legal?

anybody arguing against a rotary engine is just stupid, they are infinitely superior to a piston engine in every possible way (well, who cares about fuel consumption, gas aint exactly expensive)

22. comparing this car to a T.F. drag is pointless. its apples and oranges, the whole idea behind most imports is that they can handle really well. but if their was such thing as a 8+lt rotory it would have huge hp.

23. Still any locomotive has more horsepower, but will it go faster? The horsepower don't proove anything, the only important thing is the result. The lotus elise has 120bhp and it kill the cobra R on the circuit. The important thing is good balance, it's the secret of automobile, exagering will get you nowhere, it's why I think this car is awesome, certainly not the best there is but one hell of a car.

24. theres no chance in hell of a 120hp elise being able to 'kill' a Cobra R around a racetrack....i can understand your point, and maybe you were exaggerating a little, but no, not a Cobra R....maybe something a bit more archaic like a Z28 or a Mustang GT

Cobra Rs are great around a racetrack, loads of grip, loads of power, big wing to push the car down around high speed corners, makes an Elise look a little out of its depth, and so it should for $54k

25. I think that guy is refering to that magazine comparison, I think it was Sports Compact Car. And the Elise was not a 120HP elise, it was a Sun International Intgra Tyupe R engined Elise. It made over 190HP. Also, the Cobra R was not performing as good as it should have. I mean, the Elise still would have won im sure, but it wouldnt be a slaughter or anything.
    But I see your point, its all about power to weight. Thats not an import thing, that is an accet to every car almost.