Re: I've driven one!!!

Discussion in '1994 McLaren F1' started by McLarenF1Chick, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

Geez... try reading everything next time, ok? one post later I apologised for my mistake with the production years. how many times does one have to repeat himself?...

2. #177 menoy36, Aug 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

Ok, I already apologised for my mistake with the production years, too bad you failed to notice, because you would have had less to write maybe the f1 is a "super grand tourer" but... why isn't the 962? as far as I know it ALSO has double luggage compartments. Go to www.962lm.com and check out the presentation about the dauer.. check out the pictures of it's interior - hell, if that ain't good enough for "grand touring" then I don't know what is. As to the seat arrangement in the F1 - you say it's unique, which means "one in it's kind"... but as a matter of fact ferrari did a car with an identical arrangement many years ago - the 365P special I think it's called. so it's not so unique (check out http://www.geocities.com/unu288/u21.jpg and http://www.geocities.com/unu288/u20.jpg). oh yeah - then what did the creators of the F1 have in mind?

3. Re:

AHAHAHA...Those "luggage compartments" makes the storage on the F1 look like a freakin' warehouse!

But there is more to a grand tourer than room to put your stuff in. Ride quality is very important. Can the Dauer with it's buttocks-knapping racing suspension say that it can offer a smoother ride than the F1? I don't think so. The Dauer looks like it has a nice interior...if it wasn't so cramped. Even without anybody inside, it doesn't look inviting to the claustrophobic.

4. Re:

have you ever experienced the 962's ride to be able to say it's "buttocks-knapping"? anyway - this could go on forever; i could also give an example of car that has better ride quality than the F1. And maybe the 962 wasn't made for claustrophobics? I'm not one and the interior looks fine to me.

5. Re:

Are you really contesting that the Dauer has a comfortable ride quality suitable for country roads? The thing is freakin' racecar, dumbass!
    You are getting delusional...

...And of course their are cars with better ride quality like the Camry, but find me one that is just as fast, or exotic, good looking as an F1.

6. Re: Re:

First of all dumbass the car was BASED on a race car, it isn't one. Second - go back to school and learn to write. It's not "and of course THEIR are cars" but "and of course THERE are cars".. and last - the dauer has an adjustable hydraulic ride-height system. It can be raised a couple of inches, which I am sure has significant impact on the quality of the ride... if that's what you're looking for. It will only switch to the lower position if you exceed 80km/h. Can the McLaren do that? Plus, here's a quote from Autobild who tested the car: "Jochen Dauer carries whole work out: Its 962 drives itself not club-hard, but amazingly comfortabler. A hydraulic vertical adjustment makes from the nine centimeters gorund clearance if necessary more." It's a translation, which I'm not responsible for, so don't hold any mistakes against me, but against the author of the translation (see 962 forum for full article). Now that was an opinion of someone who has actually driven the 962. He says the ride is comfortable. Are you, keeping in mind that you HAVEN'T ever driven the 962, still willing to argue about the ride quality?

7. Re:

First of all:
    It's "comfortable," not "comfortabler."
    It's "ground," not "gorund."
    It's "Dauer," not "dauer" and so forth...

...Even if you are not responsible for the translation, you could at least edit the mistakes and spare yourself from looking like an idiot too lazy to fix a few words. Would you like to attend Kindergarten with me?

Dude, raising the car 9cm isn't going to subdue the harshness of a stiff suspension. Raising ground clearance is for rough roads (ie: gravel and pot-holes) so that the underside won't get scraped. You will still feel every bump that the wheels -- not the underside -- get hit with. With a hard suspension, the bumps transfer more explicitly.

I would like to meet the auther of the article and see what he thinks about the Dauer's ride quality after driving it and an Accord on the streets of the Bronx. That article says nothing other than it's "suprisingly comfortable."

Yeah...for a f'ucking 962 racing chassis.

8. Re:

Hey lazy ass, first correct your own mistakes, then go about being a nuisance to other people. I said I'm not to be held responsible for the tranlation, so if you're willing to ***** about the mistakes go to the 962 forum and tell it to the person who IS responsible for it. No, the article doesn't say "surprisingly comfortable FOR A 962 RACING CHASSIS" it says "surprisingly comfortable". ONLY. The "surprisingly" probably meaning that one (like yourself) would expect it to be rock-hard and harsh while it is actually not.

And what's this about the Accord? You said yourself: "And of course their are cars with better ride quality like the Camry, but find me one that is just as fast, or exotic, good looking as an F1." Maybe the Accord has better ride quality (like the Camry you mentioned) but is the Accord a fast and exotic supercar? Uhh.. no!! If you yourself first questioned the idea of comparing such cars to supercars then don't do it in the next post.

You have been proven wrong, now get over it and stop whining... at least until you have driven both cars and can give an opinion on both from firsthand experience or until you find information that would prove ME wrong.

9. Re: Re:

OH, THE HUMANITY!

10. Re: Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

The Mclaren is still best all round, you are not going to notice .5 seconds on 0-60 if the Mclaren will zip past on corners

11. Re: Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

The problem is that I'm not so sure that it would... the Dauer was developed from a Le Mans racer - and they've got to be good handling cars. The Dauer is not just a drag car... far from it.

12. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

just because the stats say the top speed of another car is high doesn't mean it's faster (on the track) the mclaren probably wouldn't be actually beat by anything but possibly the dauer

13. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

How do you know that?

14. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

im not quite sure why everyone thinks the mclaren with its soft suspension is the fastest car on the track (although it's fricken fast). the 962 can easily beat it.

15. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

You have proven me wrong? With what? Quoting a line from from someone who read something out of a biased German magazine (and who you didn't even bother to fix their typographical errors)? Excuse me, but what part of "suprisingly comforable" says that the Dauer has a reasonably compliant suspension? Does it say that it has a good primary ride (which embraces the ability of a car's suspension to damp out dips and brows) and secondary ride (the ability to insulate a car's occupants from the short, sharp shock of clipping a cat's eye, ripple, or pot-hole)?

Nope, nothing about it all. Just that ride-hieght adjustability that does nothing to dampen the shock waves of a bad stretch of road.

What's the point that your are trying to make about me bringing up the Accord? Who cares if the Accord isn't an exotic, I'm talking about the ride quality, nothing more. Maybe you should cool off before you read something in anger...but that's just me talking.

16. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

Ooooookay now... biased. Any proof that it's biased? Or is that just based upon some prejudiced opinion about Germans, huh? Anyway I'd rather believe a "biased German magazine" (Autobild being, as far as I know, the no.1 German car magazine - mmm.. definately biased) than someone who hasn't had any personal experience of the Dauer at all.

And don't be a nuisance - everyone knows what comfortable means.. so stop analyzing something that there's no need to.

The point about the Accord is a point you yourself brought up. Go through the posts and try to figure it out on your own. By the way it's not me getting all jumped up - you were first with all the "dumbassing" and "getting delusional". Who should cool off now?

17. #192 MT900S, Nov 2, 2004
    Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

"Ooooookay now... biased. Any proof that it's biased? Or is that just based upon some prejudiced opinion about Germans, huh? Anyway I'd rather believe a "biased German magazine" (Autobild being, as far as I know, the no.1 German car magazine - mmm.. definately biased) than someone who hasn't had any personal experience of the Dauer at all."

Aren't those the guys that said that the Viper SRT-10 took 4.7sec to go 0-60? That the Viper was over-powered and that with no electronic aids made it undrivable? All these claims and remarks about the Viper from one test that they did in the poor weather conditions? Here is their test...

http://www.autobild.de/suche/artikel.php?artikel_id=5497&artikel_seite=0

Face it. German auto magazines aren't really reknowned for their being in tandem with the reviews from UK and US magazines. Autobild in particular often under-rate many cars that aren't built by Porsche or BMW.

= = = = = =

"And don't be a nuisance - everyone knows what comfortable means.. so stop analyzing something that there's no need to."

Dude..."suprisingly" and "comfortable" are both SUBJECTIVE terms. Someone that finds a bed matress to be comfortable might feel too firm to another. I'm trying to tell you the same thing here which is why I brought up the ride quality (NOT the car itself) of the Camry and Accord. Do you really think that the 962 will give a smoother ride than either the Camry or Accord?

Sorry, but the Dauer's suspension is just not compliant enough for that while still maintaing handling performance of, say, an F40.

= = = = = =

"By the way it's not me getting all jumped up - you were first with all the "dumbassing" and "getting delusional". Who should cool off now?"

You are trying to argue that the 962 is more suitable for transportation in city and high way traffic. The 962 of course being a race-bred chassis, tight cabin, a luggage compartment big enough to store your shoebox in one and your lunch in the other? Maybe you don't see it, but it sounds like you are trying to believe something that isn't there. Turning to the Japanese sedans again, do you think that the Dauer has a ride quality closer to the Camry than the F1?

18. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

No no no... I never said it's more suitable for transportation in the city traffic or that it has a better ride than the Camry/Accord. I only questioned your opinion that it's got a rock-hard ride, because you have no proof to back it. And I can't say, which of the two is closer to a Camry if ride quality is concerned - I have no information on that sort of comparison, therefore I'm not willing to make such a statement... unlike you.

I'd also doubt that the Mc's suspension is "not compliant enough for that while still maintaing handling performance of, say, an F40" either.

19. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

im not gonna quote cuz its too long but YOU ARE A #$%#ING IDIOT THAT 800TT IS AN AFTER MARKET CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

"No no no... I never said it's more suitable for transportation in the city traffic or that it has a better ride than the Camry/Accord. I only questioned your opinion that it's got a rock-hard ride, because you have no proof to back it. And I can't say, which of the two is closer to a Camry if ride quality is concerned - I have no information on that sort of comparison, therefore I'm not willing to make such a statement... unlike you. "

There is no proof to support your theory either. You chose to eat up something that a biased German magazine wrote without any question. The Dauer's suspension is using RADIUS RODS for Christ's sake!

= = = = = =

"I'd also doubt that the Mc's suspension is "not compliant enough for that while still maintaing handling performance of, say, an F40" either."

No...Really?

Come on, Man. Everybody and their dog knows that. The F1 is not a road-going racer by any stretch of the imagination. The F1 was built with idea that the new owners will be driving these cars in real world road conditions mostly -- not super-smooth race track surfaces.

21. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

A quotation from Germany's no.1 car magazine is proof enough for me. Call me stupid, naive, whatever - I don't care.. cause it's going to be an opinion from someone who can't even back his shit up.

22. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

I already backed up my theory. Radius rods, race-bred chassis, adjustable ride-hieght that doesn't do anything for compliance of suspension, spaces too small to be called "luggage compartments," tight cabin,...the list goes on and on. Who the hell uses radius rods on a car in which they want a smooth ride quality?!?

All you got is that excerpt from German magazine Autobild with a record for being biased. Did the author of that article even mention the amount of free wheel movement? Nope. He just said that it was quote: "...Suprisingly comfortable..." -- like is said before, both of those words were idiosyncratic. You don't realize that you are being served up Autobild crock and you are chowing it down by the spoonful, buddy.

The only reason why the 962LM even exists is because Dauer wanted to homologate it into the GT1 class in 1994 24 Hueres du Mans. immediately after it won, the ACO closed the loophole so that cars based off a Group-C couldn't compete in the GT1 class.

But if you want to believe all that crap about the Dauer being a fully suitable and comfortable performance car as the McLaren F1 is famous for, go ahead, I can't stop you. All you really have is your opinion and that one line for a biased magazine to cling on to. There's nothing else to back your claim other than that -- which doesn't mean much to those of us who can read between the lines...

23. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

biased biased biased....... is that the only word you know?

And again - did I say the Dauer beats the Mc in ride quality? I don't remember doing so. But if I were to chose? Dauer all the way. I'd like to end it at that. Can we? Please?

24. #199 MT900S, Nov 4, 2004
    Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

"biased biased biased....... is that the only word you know?"

Would you perfer a different word? How about one of these? Go ahead and help yourself...

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=biased

But being a little more serious, it's fine with me if you want to drop it. I have made might points about the impracticalities of a road going 962 and backed it up. You have made it quite clear that you prefer Dauer of the McLaren for other reasons than how suitable it is for public roads.

As long as that remains clear, I'm cool with you.

25. Saddest Day - Mc Laren is beaten! )*:

peace...