Re: Let's see your US dream-car do this!

Discussion in '2000 Hennessey Viper Venom 800TT' started by Ferrari4ever123, Aug 9, 2002.

1. deug:
    Do you have times for the N1?
    As far as I know, the Skyline there wasn’t dyno tested. 280 hp is the gentlemen’s agreement (horsepower cap) they have in Japan. There’s a good chance it was quite a bit more than 280 hp.
    Nevertheless, TopGear tested a Skyline GTR V-Spec rated at 350 hp for their 10/97 issue. The best it could do was an 8:37. A 339-hp Corvette tested in the same session, equipped with an automatic, was only 8 seconds slower. A 321-hp BMW E36 M3 was one second faster than the Skyline. Best time of the day, though, went to a Ferrari F355, which clocked an 8:31.

I have no doubt that a current-spec 460-hp US Viper GTS ACR w/ABS would smoke them all. Special order the ACR Plus with 506-hp and standard adjustable coilovers properly dialed in for the track, and you may see lap times drop even further.

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>jcazz:
    Yes, but who won the race? The point is, we CAN compare Vipers to Skylines.
    And that was the Zakspeed Viper, with 500 hp. You can actually buy a 500-hp Viper direct from Dodge with this much power, though it’s special order. Still comes with the standard 3-year warranty (for another $1200, you can opt for the 7-year 100,000 mile warranty). This car came in second in ’00, one lap down from the Porsche. It did win in ’99 also.
    Last year’s One Lap of America racing series went to a mostly stock Viper GTS ACR, the same car that won in ’00. A Skyline was entered, but failed to finish due to engine troubles.

You’re right, on a track with a different configuration, the Viper might very well stretch its lead out even further.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Or lose. Or do you think that might be an impossibility or something Guibo? Come on the car isn't indestructible.
    <!-- Signature -->

3. Do you have any accounts of a stock Viper going against a stock Skyline and losing? Nevermind a current US-spec one.

Uhhh, I've admitted in a few places already that the Viper would have its hands full with a GT2, haven't I? I'm pretty sure there may be a healthy list of production street cars that can beat it. On a tight course, an Exige would hand it its ass.

On the other hand, you seem content to dismiss its track capabilities.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>WELL SAID...

And plus

The Viper is a 8L Twin Turbo
    The Skyline is a 2.6L Twin Turbo..

haha..nearly 4 times the the displacement....and that is all that this stupid viper can muster up...haha</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

this ferrari guy doesn't get it. do i need to come over to ur crib and drive a viper up your ass for u to get the theory behind it's engine??? you can get over 1500 horses on the 8 liter engine, but they don't want to. what makes 500 horses on 2 liter engine better than 500 horses on a 8 liter engine?? jesus people, those 8 liters have capabilities that just have not been tapped. u got the money u go do it. i'm sure somebody would do it if it was necessary, but the viper already kicks everyone's butt without it, so why bother? if somebody comes around (with a reliable engien and a good track record) then the viper will need to step up, and i garauntee you it will. if the viper doesn't i will leave supercars forever.

peace<!-- Signature -->

5. Well, well, well.

Someone has finally proved that the Skyline (one of the greatest cars on the planet) can beat this American machine.

I agree Rushingplay, Jap cars are in a way higher league than US ones.

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>deug:
    Do you have times for the N1?
    As far as I know, the Skyline there wasn’t dyno tested. 280 hp is the gentlemen’s agreement (horsepower cap) they have in Japan. There’s a good chance it was quite a bit more than 280 hp.
    Nevertheless, TopGear tested a Skyline GTR V-Spec rated at 350 hp for their 10/97 issue. The best it could do was an 8:37. A 339-hp Corvette tested in the same session, equipped with an automatic, was only 8 seconds slower. A 321-hp BMW E36 M3 was one second faster than the Skyline. Best time of the day, though, went to a Ferrari F355, which clocked an 8:31.

I have no doubt that a current-spec 460-hp US Viper GTS ACR w/ABS would smoke them all. Special order the ACR Plus with 506-hp and standard adjustable coilovers properly dialed in for the track, and you may see lap times drop even further.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The GTR in 1997 was the R33 , the stock R34 GTR smokes it on a race track , download and watch the 6 Jap cars race (R33 , R34 , NSX , EVO V...) , it's on kazaa or morpheus (95.6MO).
    The N1 isn't only better thanks to the engine , it has a double disk clutch , stronger brakes , an outstanding handling...

7. Wait a minute. I thought the Skyline already had outstanding handling, independent of the N1 package.

Regarding R33's vs. R34's, are all of those cars driven by the same driver? Or different drivers in the same video?

In any case, here's something to think about (posted by a fellow forum member here who has actually lapped at the 'Ring):

"Anyway acording to the official Nordschleife time table for street legal cars the stock Skylines have never went under the 8min time limit. In fact Nissan test driver Dirk Schoysman has set a time of 7.59 in a Skyline GTR R33 and a 7.52 in a R34. I don't really know on what configuration this cars were running but they were defintely not stock. Even very experienced R34 Vspec pilots never get it faster than 8.25. Probably the M-Spec might be faster but I defintely doubt that. Nevertheless such a time is absolutely astonishing for a car of that power to weight ratio.

For those of you who don't know there is a shortened Nordschleife. It depends wether you pass the new Nurburgring exit or not. If you do your lape time will be about 15-20 seconds quicker depending on the car you have."

Now, he wrote "M-Spec". Could that have been a mistake, referring to the N1?

And BTW, 7 seconds at the 'Ring is peanuts.

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>WELL SAID...

And plus

The Viper is a 8L Twin Turbo
    The Skyline is a 2.6L Twin Turbo..

haha..nearly 4 times the the displacement....and that is all that this stupid viper can muster up...haha</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Let's see what a skyline will do on pump gas. It MIGHT hit 10's, plus it has all those amazing enhancements, like dual overhead cams, and all that fancyass engine shit. The 800TT is a pushrod motor that runs on pump gas with a heavy engine in the front and rear wheel drive. The skyline that ran 9 seconds in the quarter was on ATLEAST 110 octane, and blitz or whoever the hell did that to the skyline is a MASSIVE corporation, Hennesey is not.

9. 110 octane ? Stop writing shit , you don't know it.

10. #35 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Now, regarding these 1200-hp Skylines. Does anyone have any links to a non-Japanese mag or TV crew testing these cars? Preferably with other cars?
    The reason I ask is because of this article, done by Autocar. It's a 0-100-0 competition. The Skyline here is tuned by Jun, and is claimed to have been putting out 1000 hp.
    Yet look at its 0-60 time. 3.68. Slower than the 800TT on stock Michelin Pilots (3.21), which doesn't have the benefit of AWD. And its 0-100 time: 6.93 seconds. Slower than the 725-hp normally aspirated Lingenfelter Viper on stock Michelins (6.6 seconds).

http://www.racecar.co.uk/stealth/autocar1003.htm

Are there any UK or German tests of the Blitz or Veilside Skylines?

11. #36 deuginthesky, Aug 9, 2002
    The Jun has the highest top speed of the modded Skylines , not the best acceleration at all.

The best accelerating Skyline is the Veilside.

Watch www.exvitermini.com , the site is owned by an Australian.

12. Yes, but is that THE Jun Skyline? Is there only one?

The website is owned by an Australian. Did he do any testing?

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>Yes, but is that THE Jun Skyline? Is there only one?

The website is owned by an Australian. Did he do any testing?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

There are many different Jun or Veilside...Skyline.
    The brand have their flagship , they also tune many Skylines.

What people call "Jun Skyline" is the flagship IMO.

14. because they're faster ?

15. what reasons do u have for hating the "excellent" jap cars?

16. So, in other words, it's very possible (more than likely, actually) that the Jun Skyline tested in that UK test was not geared for top speed. After all, the test was to compare 0-100-0 times. Why bring in a top speed geared car for such an event?

17. Would you mind to scan the article please , I may be able to tell you if it was JUN's flagship at the event ?

18. #43 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
  19. #45 deuginthesky, Aug 9, 2002
  20. What's the final drive/rear axle ratio of the flagship, compared to a stock one and the Jun Skyline that is set up for drag racing?

21. I'm still not seeing a better slolom, 75.1 mph from this car that soposedly "can't handle" according to 550 Wolves, yeah rrriigghhttt...<!-- Signature -->

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>What's the final drive/rear axle ratio of the flagship, compared to a stock one and the Jun Skyline that is set up for drag racing?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Sorry Guibo , I don't know at all.
    What I just know , is that the top speed is 386kmh if I remember well.

23. You are comparing a Viper with 800hp against a Skyline with over 1,000hp? If you ever watched any of those japanese car videos you would see that very same Skyline with 1,000+hp getting raped by a 627hp Mclaren F1

24. Bugatti, different Skylines with different horsepower have different configurations resulting in different production numbers. Just because a car has more horsepower than another does not constitute in that car being faster or accelerating better. On the contrary, this is the case in many situations as well. Take a look at the Blitz Skyline, it has over 1000 hp and yet can't go past 220 mph. The Veilside R1 can easily blow past this having higher horsepower. The Calsonic Super (rumored), comes with 702 HP and can supposedly 231 mph. Again, I have yet to find a site relating to the Calsonic although I have heard many mentions of it in forums.

The message I'm trying to get out, is that HP is not always important. So what if the Skyline has more or less horsepower than another car? It's meant to take it. Viper (among others) can only take so much whereas the Skyline has no upgrade limit. This is its' advantage over domestics and even other imports.

Personally, I believe the Skyline is a better car and does have much more options to become stronger. They can do something amazing things with those cars. Nismo is a great tuner. Hennessey is great too but this car can only take so much. However, this Hennessey is extremely powerful but looking at a Skyline, I doubt if it can ever beat out a Skyline's limit to ever achieve that power.