Re: Let's Talk about Tuned Cars Now - 2000 Dodge Hennessey Viper

Discussion in '1999 Lamborghini Diablo GT' started by Christianmc, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Why not take a S7 and then tune it and it would beat any car
    <!-- Signature -->

2. woaah wait a sec..... you are comparing a fully tuned muscle car with an unmodified lamborghini..... of course the dodge kicks it's ass - but that's just because it's so #$%#ing suped up. Get them on equal terms and the winning factor will be the lamborghini's lightweight frame... less weight, more speed!
    Italian cars will always be better than american ones.... the only decent american cars are vipers and ford tauruses..... oh and of course the mustang

3. Y would any one compare a big bulky built-for-power machine like the dodge 800tt. A diablo gt is a road going vehicle, !ROAD GOING!. If it was meant for racing like the dodge, they could fix it up to diablo GTR specs. I reckon a GTR could kill the dodge. There! A Diablo GTR and Dodge 800, two racing cars. And when it comes to corners, the dodge dont stand a chance. it MIGHT be a little faster on the straights but chuck a turbo, or twin turbo, or even like the bugatti eb110 - a quad turbo and nothing will keep up to the sheer brilliance of the diablo, any diablo, they are all top of the range vehicles

4. since it is a road car, the diablo is set up for accelleration at speed, instead of the fastest possible 0-60 time... much like the McLaren f1 LM, which is slower than the original 0-60, but is much faster once at speed... it does 50-80 in 1.2 sec...<!-- Signature -->

5. I wonder why so many people get so upset. None of you here can afford either one, yet get so emotional (like children) like its your company or something. I will certainly stick around. This place.....amuses me.

6. hate to tell u this, but the original viper engine was designed by lamborghini...if u dont believe it, go do some research. late!

7. I'm not going to bash you, "Scotti," but you need to do a little more reaserch on this one; you're way off. The Diablo SV does the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds @ 122 mph, tested by Quatroroute. And you say the Z06 and the Viper GTS handel better? Is that why the Diablo SV laps the Nurburgring (which is a big HANDELING track) 6 whole seconds faster than the Viper GTS?

Allan owns a Diablo SV, so I think his opinion holds a little more weight than yours on this one. And the Diablo GT is not a tuned car, it's the replacement for the SV. You can't use the statement that the Diablo GT is a "race car for the road" to justify comparing it to a souped-up Viper. All Diablos are "race cars for the roads"

My information is NOT way off i'm just quoting Road & Track and the best they could do on a drag strip with a Diablo SV is 12.72@114.05 MPH now i'm not saying Quatroroute is wrong , the car the tested may have been a European version which may account for the differant times , i know when they tested a European F40 it did the 1/4 mile in 11.8@124.5 mph and when the tested a US version it went 12.2@122 mph, The US spec version weighs 250lbs more to meet the EPA DOT standards so thats explains the differant times.
    Now the Z06 and the Viper does handle better then ANY Lamborghini i mean thats just a fact , now a Diablo may have gone faster around " The Ring " that may be drivers skill, The Skidpad and the Slalom speeds on both cars are greater.
    And Allan " Claims " hes owns a SV i have no proof of his claims and people online arent always honest about they claims , and i wasn't stating my opinion about the SV i was stating facts, and the facts are the Diablo GT tested by former Formula 1 driver and Le Mans winner Paul Frere and Formula 1 world champion Phil Hill and the best it could do was 0.97G on the skidpad and a slalom speed of 61.5 mph and both the Viper and the Z06 can better that.
    Now you can compare the Hennessey to anything that " claims " its fast it doesn't matter if its tuned or not , i would compare it to another tuned Lamborghini but there are none that have been tested indepandantly so i cant compare numbers that don't exsist like the VTTT which all i know is said to have 750 horsepower and estimates for top speed , show me proof NOT estimates or guesses, the fact is Hennessey can make a production Viper go faster then a Lamborghini that costs $300,000, and its also faster then the $1,131,120 Mclaren F1 thats NOT my opinion thats a fact.

8. It is amazing to see how much response can one get on a controversial issue like this!
    I am very pleased to see 59 people wasting their time typing childish unreliable insults at each other.
    It is important to read the FIRST comment before trying to come up with replies that make no sense, because they target the issues that were NOT meant to be discussed.
    The VIPER was NOT compared to STOCK Lamborghini. WAS NOT. WAS NOT. WAS NOT. It said "to ANY." Any means ANY. ANY. ANY. ANY = Single turbo, twin turbo, Quadra turbo, "whatever makes you happy" turbo!
    Compare it to the VTTT, which has a twin turbo and IS a specially tuned racecar!!! Would "twin turbo to twin turbo" TOPIC sentence in this argument mean more sense than "ANY" Lambo TOPIC sentense? It looks like the same thing to me!
    You were welcome to pick ANY Lambo, which will statistically loose in the numbers? Yeah that COATL with 4.2MPH higher speed???!!!
    Give me a break! Is that all YOU got???!!!
    If most of you would take a little time and read the FIRST comment in this argument, you would see that the cars were not meant to be compared. NOT. NOT. NOT. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was numbers against numbers that happened to be in different cars, that is all!!!
    So, please. Why don't we make sure that we understand what the author tried to do before we go on insulting the person with obscene language phrases that only make the person who typed them look unsure and irritated, which probalby is the result of a bad relationship or unsatisfied sexual desires!!!
    Let's all calm down and breathe for a while, because this is just a forum for a human being's opinions and suggestion, not a YAHOO! chat room where you would cuss someone out and put them down!
    Please, grow up!
    <!-- Signature -->

9. Oh one more thing!
    In the "P.S." section of the FIRST comment in this battle I was not talking about VIPER and Lamborghini.
    I was referring to the OTHER forum TOPIC where they were comparing 1999 Lamborghini GT and the 2002 Lamborghini Murcielago!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe that threw you off, I don't know!<!-- Signature -->

10. some of you may also recall that in almost every article on any modified viper, the thing breaks. also, all acceleration figures are always done on drag slicks, as the lambos are street tires. in terms of modifying a lambo, there is alot available. just changing the exhaust, gives over 50hp to the rear wheels, and reduces weight by almost 100pds. on a diablo sv, the computer is interchangeable with the diablo svr computer. there are cams, intakes etc. then of course not only turbo'd , but supercharged cars out there. american magazine reports are also misleading, as they baby the lambos in the acceleration runs as most are privately owned. most american magazines actually say a diablo sv is slower than a viper gts in the quarter mile and 0-60. i assure you this is not the case, as ive raced many, and again bone stock against bone stock, the diablo is faster, much faster.

11. I can name so many Lambos that would rape your shitty 800TT, let's beggin

Diablo Jota GTR: 730bhp (naturally aspirated) and a curb weight of 2500lbs
    Diablo BBR-GTi: 1000bhp
    Diablo Koenig: 800-850bhp
    Diablo VTTT: 750-1500bhp
    Diablo SVTT: 750-1500bhp
    Diablo Affolter GTR LM

12. jeez, u pop an 800 horse engine in the diablo, and i dont wanna be in the same city, u may aswell prop it up on its rear and put on ur space suit, cuz thats wear ur goin!<!-- Signature -->

13. my sv, on nitrous is over 800hp. i dont have any real acceleration numbers, just cars ive raced. i will tell you this, at 100 mph the car is still sideways blowing the tires off. ive raced many vipers, corvette z06's,porsche twin turbo's,and just the other day a ferrari 360 modena, and the car just blows them all away. the first murcielago was also just delivered to its first owner in the u.s.. that is going to be a great car, im looking forward to the 2 wheel drive version sv, which should be out within 2 years. in the mean time, ive tried to find out about getting a diablo gt, but from what ive heard theres only 2 in the u.s., and they can only be driven 2500 miles a year under the show and display law.

14. listen you dumbass #$%#in american! you must be blind because this lamborghini goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds not 3.8! and why the hell do you compare a tuned race car to imagine how bad this lamborghini would murder your little american viper if it was a high tuned race car!!! the viper would be no match!!! so take your little uneducated comments and put them where the sun dont shine because they are worth nothing!!!

ps: if you would have been smart you would of seen the viper that does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds! but that is another story

First of all you quote Lamborghini as being a " very high quality stock italian supercar " Lamborghini is NOT some mass produced Dodge Viper costing $ 65,000 its a specialty car company who charges $ 265,000 for a car it claims is one of the fastest in the world.
    heres a quote from Paul Frere when he drove the Diablo GT in Road & Tracks Nov 2000 issue. " This car is built for performance at high-speed, more along the line of a GT1-type RACE CAR, so it would be hard to go shopping in one." and the Diablo GT went 202.6 mph ( 326.0 km/h )
    So its perfectly fair to compare the Hennessey to the Diablo GT and the 800TT is NOT a high-tuned race car its the same as the Diablo GT a street-legal road car with racecar performance, now the 800 TT completly destroys the Diablo GT in every aspect of performance and yes even on the Street Radials and NOT the dot slicks it did a 0-60 in 3.21 seconds on Michelin Pilot Sport street radials and it also did a 10.71@137.6 mph 1/4 mile on the same street tires , bolt on some DOT slicks and 0-60 takes just 2.43 seconds and the 1/4 mile was recorded in 9.99@138.95 mph. so with street tires the Diablo cant make the same times and this is comming from a car that costs $ 265,000 not including import tax , luxury tax and gas-guzzler tax, which brings the Diablo GT well ober $300,000, now you can compare the 800TT to the Diablo VTTT if you like ,but NO VTTT has ever been fully road tested by a magazine so its numbers are just estimates.

Now heres some quotes from Car and Driver ( Apirl 92 ) about your
    "very high quality stock italian supercar" the tested a Lamborghini Diablo and a Ferrari F-40 for three days at the time both models where new so the owner of both the cars had to pay psychotic mark-ups for the two list price for the Diablo was $272,935 he paid at the time $ 480,000 and the Ferrari F-40 list price was $ 471,375 and he paid get this $ 775,000.
    They spend 3 days with both cars and here is the things that went wrong on this 2 brand new cars.

The Diablo.
    Huge air leak in left coner of drivers-side window.
    Driver's lap belt won't retract.
    Triangular piece of unidentified gooey-surfaced plastic trim is rolling around the footwell.
    Fuel-filler flap wont lock.
    Greyhound-sized windshield wiper, despite carbon-fiber downforce tabs, begins to life off beyond 80 mph.
    Ominous groan from rear bulkhead; a half-shaft ot losse subframe assembly?.
    Gear-shift knob ready to fall off.
    Door latches impossibly stiff, requiring two hands to operate.
    Fuel-Filler cap james.
    Right-side muffler begins to sag.
    $600 lamb's-wool floor mats fould clucth and accelerator pedals.
    Air-condtioning condensation tube strikes pavment.
    Climate-control panel unfastens; appears it may fall out of the dash.
    Hand-brake lever is wobbling.
    Drivers side door is unwilling to open enirely.

The Ferrari feels more solidly built and understandably so ; It comes from Maranello attched to fewer pieces that can fall off. Some fall off anyway, The drivers door shifts and begins to bind, grazing the blood red paint,until it can be adjusted we scramble out the passenger's door, Impersonating the Diablo, the F-40,s driver's-side lap belt refuses to retract,The Rear brakes don't just squeal the SCREAM, and the latches that hold the entire nosepiece begin to work loose,creating at 40 mph a unique whole-car harmonic." they they test both on the race-track ( Moroso Motorsports Park 2.25 mile road course ) and the Diablo after a few laps its brakes get hot and induce pedal judder , its oil temp shoots to 130 degrees Celsius and the water temp is at 110 degrees.
    Now all these things wrong on brand new cars ,would be unacceptable on anything costing $15,000 never mind something that costs $250,000 and above. and i read another thread about " Italian Quality " in the Koenig Ferrari F-50 twin-turbo section, about two F355 owners its a must read, and Oh by the way Ducattis are also very unreliable as well , so i guess so much for "very high quality stock italian supercars " and NO i'm not bashing italian supercars only stating facts i love Ferraris but don't go bashing American cars because we can make our American cars go a LOT faster for a Hell of a lot less money.

15. some of you may also recall that in almost every article on any modified viper, the thing breaks. also, all acceleration figures are always done on drag slicks, as the lambos are street tires. in terms of modifying a lambo, there is alot available. just changing the exhaust, gives over 50hp to the rear wheels, and reduces weight by almost 100pds. on a diablo sv, the computer is interchangeable with the diablo svr computer. there are cams, intakes etc. then of course not only turbo'd , but supercharged cars out there. american magazine reports are also misleading, as they baby the lambos in the acceleration runs as most are privately owned. most american magazines actually say a diablo sv is slower than a viper gts in the quarter mile and 0-60. i assure you this is not the case, as ive raced many, and again bone stock against bone stock, the diablo is faster, much faster.

Road & Track June 2000
    tested a Lamborghini Diablo SV with 530 horsepower at a 1/4 mile dragstrip best E.T. 12.70@114.05 MPH

Motor Trend May 1998
    Totaly Stock Dodge Viper GTS on street tires 1/4 mile 12.1@118.6 MPH.

Motor Trend Feb 2002
    Totaly Stock Corvette Z06 on street tires 1/4 mile 12.48@114.9 MPH

Diablo SV $230,000
    Dodge Viper $ 65,000
    Vette Z06 $ 50,000

The Diablo may have a useless top speed but it gets beat by these two cars and for a HELL of a lot less money. Oh by the way both handle better too.!!

16. I'm not going to bash you, "Scotti," but you need to do a little more reaserch on this one; you're way off. The Diablo SV does the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds @ 122 mph, tested by Quatroroute. And you say the Z06 and the Viper GTS handel better? Is that why the Diablo SV laps the Nurburgring (which is a big HANDELING track) 6 whole seconds faster than the Viper GTS?

Allan owns a Diablo SV, so I think his opinion holds a little more weight than yours on this one. And the Diablo GT is not a tuned car, it's the replacement for the SV. You can't use the statement that the Diablo GT is a "race car for the road" to justify comparing it to a souped-up Viper. All Diablos are "race cars for the roads"

17. The New Viper GTS laps the nurburgring 1 second behind the Diablo SV, still not even sure if it was the '96 SV. The Lamborghini Diablo SV was a 520 hp, which I think makes it a '97 SV. If it was the 97 SV, then the '98 and '99 SV which is equiped with Variable-Valve timing would perhaps take off another second or two off, because it is considerably faster. These tests were not performed by Lamborghini enthusiasts. There is not one course where the Viper GTS will ever beat a Diablo SV. The nurburgring (a big handelers course) would have been its best chance, seeing as you say it has "good" handeling, but it failed anyhow, even though the Diablo has a high center of gravity for a car that low.

The F50 is an extremely competetive car. R&T had a slower slalom speed for the F50 than they did for the 360 Modena, but the F50 handels better than the Modena, no question. The Modena's suspension is much softer. R&T will never honestly tell you that the Modena handels better, despite their two different tests. They know which one is faster. The Ferrari F50 has the same lap times on many courses as the Diablo GT and the Ferrari F40. The F50 had a better lap time than the Mclaren F1 on some courses! The Viper does not come close to any of them.

No one ever said anything about factory declarations. You're getting off the subject. The Diablo GT is infact NOT much faster than the '99 Diablo SV (compare 1/4 mile times '99 Diablo SV best 11.9 at 122 mph, Diablo GT best, 11.8 seconds at 124 mph), but the Diablo GT has a newer and imroved suspension.

When it comes to R&T and C&D, don't expect them to push their Italian Imported, privately owned cars to the Limit. How much g did Road and Track get out of their 360 Modena and 550 Barcheta? No more than 0.93 g. Other magazines got 1.08 g out of their 550 Marenello. And how much g did R&T get out of their Mclaren F1? A pathetic 0.86 g!! (And I believe it was Mario Andretti, correct me if I'm wrong). Car and driver got 1.01 g out of their Mclaren F1. And the Diablo GT, as I already said, got 1.10 g despite R&T 0.97 g. The Ferrari F50 undoubtably handels better than 0.95 gs as well. The magazines your quoting as proof are not the only performances out their. That's not how you compare cars.

18. I'm getting my information from Quatroroute, Motor Trend and Evo magazine. R&T is known for making slower 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph times than most other magazines, especially when it comes to imported Italian supercars. Motor Trend went to Italy and tested the Diablo 6.0 strait from the factory (meaning they don't have to worry about upsetting private owners) and surprise surprise they did 1/4 mile times at 11.8 seconds (that's one performance spec I haven't said yet, at least). Had they used privately owned cars In the US I doubt they would have pushed it so much. R&T can get Vipers and Corvettes strait from the factory much easier and they can push them as hard as they want to.

The Diablo SV I doubt would show it's best perfromance at a track like the Nurburgring. The Diablo has a high center of gravity (the basic design remains unchanged since 1990) and is pretty wide, which makes it not as ideal for the high speed narrow sharp turns of the Nurburgring (the small, light Porsche GT3 is THE ideal car for a track like that). Had someone Like Valentino, who is one of those famous expert crazy Italian Lamborghini drivers, driven the Diablo, I don't doubt it would be a problem for him. Despite that, the Diablo (most likely the '97 SV) still beat the Viper GTS. But nevertheless, like the Ferrari F40 the Lamborghini DIablo is better adapted for the wider tracks. I guarantee you the Viper will not be able to touch it there. And since when was better brakes for the Diablo considerred a vice?

And how can you base your argument that the F50 was a dissapointment by the fact that R&T lists its performance as "na"? That tells you nothing. In fact, if anything it tells you that they know they weren't pushing the car hard enough. Did Road and Track ever say the F50 was a dissapointment? Nope. It's not as fast in a strait line as the F40. but it's much better in the turns. The 360 Modena is rated as being one of the best handeling cars in the world, and the ones who have also driven the F50 all say that the F50 has even better handeling.

19. Your entitled to your opinion. But when you say something that goes against generally accepted fact (like the F50 doesn't handel well, the Viper GTS could beat a Diablo SV, etc.) you have to produce a lot more evidence than normal. You had a good argument on the top speed of Mclaren F1 because you quite a lot of evidence.

20. Your entitled to your opinion. But when you say something that goes against generally accepted fact (like the F50 doesn't handel well, the Viper GTS could beat a Diablo SV, etc.) you have to produce a lot more evidence than normal. You had a good argument on the top speed of Mclaren F1 because you quite a lot of evidence.

Its not my opinion , first of all i said the F50 don't handle as well as the Factory claimed and thats just a fact, i mean a Ferrari racer did all the tests on his personal F50 and the best it did around a skidpad is 0.95G and not the claimed 1.20 G , i mean you cant say he wasn't pushing the car because when he did the top speed test he reached 194 mph and that was at 8640 rpms thats 140 rpms into the redline, heres a quote about the Ferrari F50's handling from Car and Driver , remember a Ferrari race car driver was doing this test.

" On the 300 foot skidpad, the F50 easily holds an understreering line with 0.95 g of grip , Try to hold the tail out for a lap ,however , and the car shows a predilection for oversteer that evokes a 180-degree spin. This is the same lateral stick that a all-wheel-drive 911 turbo can muster, buts its a fair whack behind the F-40's amazing 1.01 g, and again , the F50's performance is shy of the factory's claim of 1.2 g. More troubling , the car's rear tires, follwing four laps in each direction on the skidpad, emerge with a dozen dime-size blisters on each inner of tread , this is on a 60-degree day."

heres another quote from Andy Evans at speed in the F50.
    " On the fourth lap , the F50s speed drops to 191.6 mph , and radiator coolant is fizzing out of the overflow vent,Evans stops , " Not exactly a WSC car out there ," he reports " It dances around a bit, but pulls right up to the redline."
    The F50s top speed is shy of an F40's by 3 mph. it is 8 mph below the factory's claim. it's also 4 mph beyond the 8500 rpm redline , a cardinal sin ,except when the test driver owns the supercar in question."

Now is that is not proof i have NO clue what is, the best it could do is 0.95 G sorry to say any Viper GTS can better that and thats a fact.
    second seeing its top speed was in the redline by 4 mph and 140 rpms that makes its redline top speed of 190 mph, and i have seen a Viper GTS do 192 mph and thats just a fact.

Now at first i said that GTS is faster then the Diablo SV in the 1/4 mile , i mean they tested the Diablo and it did 12.7@114.05 its that simple look at the differance in torque and where the peak torque is reached on the Diablo SV and the GTS .now torque is where your accleration comes from and lots of low end torque, the Diablo makes 448 lbs ft of torque which is a lot , but its making this peak torque at 5500 rpms thats very high in the rev-range, now the Viper GTS makes 490 lbs feet not to much more but that torque is avalible at just 3700 rpms , now i mean sorry to say thats just proof the SV's V12 likes to rev it makes it peak horsepower at 7100 rpms and the Viper GTS makes it at 5200, that why the Diablo has a higher top speed its a higher reving engine.and to boot the Diablo has a Gated shifter and thats NOT working for it in the 1/4 mile.

And the Diablo GT was tested by a former Formula 1 racer as well as a Le Mans winner Paul Frere , i mean for you to say Road & Track doesn't push customer cars to the limits is just nonesense he reach its maximum speed 202.6 mph (326.0 km/h ) in 5th gear at 7500 rpms . if thats not pushing the car to its limits then i don't know what is,
    now if he pushed the car to its limits in the top speed why would he baby it in the skidpad? and the best it could do with a former Le Mans winner driving it was a 0.97 and a slalom speed of 61.5 mph. i mean thats not my opinion thats just a fact. and most of these cars they test are either from the factory or dealers , When they tested the EB 110 Bugatti provided the car , same with Jaguar they provided two XJ220s , RUF has always provided is own cars , Chevorlet shipped the Z06 to the VW test track where it was tested, Ferrari usally never sends a car so they usally come from a Ferrari dealer in Germany, and thats facts whether not you like them and not.

21. First of all, the meaning of the "Variable-Valve Timing" is that more torque is availiable at low rpm. The '98 and '99 Diablo SV's are equiped with VVT. peak torque is availiable at 7100 rpm, but more than half of that is already availiable at 3500 rpm. Also, the '99 Diablo was timed for the 1/4 mile at 12.0 seconds @ 121 mph, so don't bother mentioning "12.7 seconds @ 114 mph" again. There's no point in continuing to argue with that. And the narrow, twisting Nurburging full of sharp turns is almost the Achillies heel of the super-wide Diablo, but despite all that it still had a better lap time than the Viper GTS. On any other track it would be much faster.

(As evidence, the Diablo GT has equal and often better lap times than the Ferrari F50 on every track, but at the Nurburgring the F50 I've heard is way ahead of the GT)

What you are suggesting about the Ferrari F50 is that the Viper has better handeling and is faster as well. If that were true, then wouldn't the Viper GTS have better lap times on all tracks? But that is simply not the case.To say that the factory claims are off is one thing, and that's understandable (still I don't know how that even came up in the first place). But here is an irrefutable fact: The F50 has better handeling than the F40, despite C&D tests. Ask anyone who has driven them. Despite the fact that the F50 is slower than the F40 in a strait line (and that was no accident; Ferrari intended that), it has better lap times on some tracks because of its superior handeling. That is saying a lot, considerring that the F40 is extremely fast in a strait line. Comparing lap times is much more reliable than comparing magazine tests done at different times.

You are reporting the facts, but they don't mean anything if you don't know how to compare them with other facts. R&T tested the top speed for the Diablo GT at 202 mph, but that doesn't do any harm to the car. In fact, with Lamborghini's, the more you use the engine, the better the perfromance gets. That was the case with the Countach as well: they were in fact faster cars after several years of use; the marvel of great engineering. Besides, Evo magazine tested the Diablo GT and did 211 mph. But R&T are NOT going to push privately owned cars to the limit, as in doing harm to the cars (melt the tires at the start, take it to the extreme on the skid-pad, etc.) They WILL do that when they get cars strait from the factory. Yes, R&T did 0.97 g on the skidpad with the Diablo GT; that's a fact. But when Quatroroute got 1.10 g out of their Diablo GT that automatically is the correct figure. R&T got 0.93 g out of their 550 Marenello Barcheta, but Quatroroute got 1.08 g out of it, so that becomes the correct figure. Obviously Quatroroute is pushing their cars harder than R&T. I would not be surprised if they pushed the F50 harder as well. But for now, I wouldn't be parading that the Viper GTS has better handeling than the F50 if the only reason you believe that is because on two different, unrelated tests they got more g's. Every other fact about the cars (lap times for instance) shows otherwise. You can't just listen to one magazine and not another, and only choose to believe the facts that you like.

22. I'm not going to bash you, "Scotti," but you need to do a little more reaserch on this one; you're way off. The Diablo SV does the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds @ 122 mph, tested by Quatroroute. And you say the Z06 and the Viper GTS handel better? Is that why the Diablo SV laps the Nurburgring (which is a big HANDELING track) 6 whole seconds faster than the Viper GTS?

Now this is your first response to what i said about the Viper GTS going faster in the 1/4 mile then the SV , and that the Z06 and the GTS both handle better then the Diablo GT , now again tested by R & T the best a 99 Diablo SV did in the 1/4 was 12.72@114.05 mph now this is after experimenting with launch techniques and this was the best of all the runs it managed, now this is a fact you want to see the article buy Road & Track June 2000, now you said Quatroroute did it in 12.0@122 mph , now perhaps they did but they seem just a tad to optimistic with there numbers , such as the Diablo GT and a 550 Maranello doing a 1.10 g and a 1.07 g respectivly on the skidpad , now Road & Track tested the Champion Porsche GT1 race car in there September 1998 issue with Steve Millen doing the driving , mind you hes a race car driver not a road test editor, and with race slicks the best the Porsche GT1 Race car did was a 1.07 g , now there is NO way in hell Quatroroute is doing to get the same from the 550 Maranello and even better with the Diablo GT on street tires, its just NOT happening , so Quatroroutes numbers in my opinion are worth ZERO.

Now this was your second comment.
    " And you say the Z06 and the Viper GTS handel better? Is that why the Diablo SV laps the Nurburgring (which is a big HANDELING track) 6 whole seconds faster than the Viper GTS? "
    now with this comment you were saying that the Diablo SV handles better because it lapped the Nurbergring 6 seconds quicker and its a big HANDLING track, and you were referring to the Diablo GT beating the Viper GTS , because the Diablo SV only beat it by 1 second, now my response was there is more to lapping a race track then just handling , its the total package , such as driver , handling , acceleration , chassis set up and brakes, NOT just handling because if that was the case and Quatroroute was correct about the Diablo GT doing a 1.10 g then it would be able to beat the Porsche GT 2s time , which leads me back to my original point that the Z06 and Viper GTS still handle better then the Diablo GT regaurdless if either laped a big HANDLING track slower.
    Now look in any car magazine and they all test the cars handling the same way through Maximum Lateral Acceleration G and the Slalom in mph, now the cars that generate the most lateral acceleration through the skidpad and the fastest mph through the slalom are the best handling , its that simple and with prefessional race cars driving thse cars to their limits guess what the Z06 and the Viper GTS are Better handling cars then the Diablo GT and the Ferrari F50, does that mean they could beat them around a race track NO , because like i said its the total package not just handling.

23. I don't just get my information from Road & Track ( which i do read ) i read Motor Trend , Car and Driver , Automoblie Magazine , i also have Turbo , Forza, Robb Report, Dupont Registry, Vette, HighTech Performance, and yes i read them and i searched high and low for road tests on the Diablo GT and Diablo SV , i found a article about the Diablo SV MY Automobile Magazine May 1997 , but they only quote the Factory claims of 0-62 - 3.9 top speed 191 mph. ironicly enough every road test on a Diablo i found there was NO skidpad or slalom numbers posted they where all N/A , and Motor Trend tested a Diablo VT 6.0 and it listed a 0-60 - 3.4 and the 1/4 mile of 11.8@120.9 mph. which is pretty impressive , but alas no handling numbers they where N/A.
    If you have any other Diablo GT or SV handling numbers besides Quatroroute i would like to see them, and the original statement still holds true The Diablo GT does not handle better then a Viper GTS or Z06 , this is how all magazines test cars for handling

Handling tests evaluate a test car’s abilities in other than a straight line. Lateral acceleration around a skidpad measures the steady-state lateral grip a car can generate. The result is reported in g’s calculated using the average of the best timed laps, clockwise and counterclockwise, around a 200-ft.-diameter circle. Balance is subjectively evaluated by the test driver. Speed through a 700-ft. slalom is a test to analyze a car’s lateral grip capabilities in transient state where it needs to weave through

a series of eight cones spaced 100 ft. apart. The car is timed as it threads through the course and an average speed in mph is calculated. The car’s Balance in this exercise is also rated by the test driver. Overall seat support indicates how well the seat supports and holds the driver in place as the test car is driven through the two handling exercises. Both handling tests are timed using an infrared timing beacon.
    now the one that generates the highest numbers is the better handling car thats just a fact , it doesn't mean its fastest around a race track because you have to have the total package in order to be the fastest around the track and that doesn't always assure you'll win.
    and if you say never compare two cars tested from two differant magazines , Okay i'll compare the Z06 to the Diablo GT , now both were tested by Road & Track November 2000 , here are the cars they tested BMW Z8 , Corvette Z06 , Ferrari 550 , Diablo GT , Porsche 911 Turbo , RUF 911 Turbo R , they tested top speed , slalom , skidpad and here is the skidpad numbers saide by side.

Skidpad - Z06 - 1.00G - Diablo GT - 0.97G
    Slalom - Z06 - 67.1 mph - Diablo GT - 61.3 mph
    Top Speed - Z06 - 174.8 mph ( 281.3 km/h ) Diablo GT 202.6 mph ( 326.0 km/h )

Now that means it has better handling then the Diablo GT , and the Diablo GT has a higher top speed. NO opinions just facts, now you cant say " Oh they don't push the cars of customers "
    because thats not true, look at it this way they did a top speed test and the Diablo GT reached its top speed in 5th gear at its REDLINE of 7500, now thats NOT pushing the car? i mean you can go further then that ,now why would they not push the Diablo GT in the slalom ? its a HELL of a lot safer then doing a top speed , worst case senario in either handling test is its spins safely out of control , because the skidpad is a huge circle and the slalom has pleanty of space to spin a car and thats the worst that could happen, so please save the they didn't push the car to its limits, this guy won Le Mans, he is more qualified to drive this car then ANY customer who buys it.
    And finally the SV which was faster around the Nurbergring by 1 second over a UK spec Viper GTS , i did some research and the UK spec GTS is underpowered to the US Spec EVO lists the UK specs Horsepower as 378@5700 and torque at 451@3750 lbs ft , now the Viper GTS sold in the US is more powerfull then that , 450@5200 and 490@3700 , i mean thats a big differance, now get a US spec GTS with the same driver and the SV would be beat, now come up with some other tests besides quatroroute for the Diablo GT if you can find any because i sure as hell looked in all the magazines i have plus online and its seems a common theme among Lamborghinis not to test thier Skidpad or Slalom capabilties , you don't find that strange?

24. Well I can ask you this: Where did they get their Diablo GT? From the factory? If it's privately owned, or if it's from a dealer, their not entirely free to do with the car as they please. Top speed can be at 7500 rpm, but you can be at 7500 rpm in 1st gear, and there's no harm done. The owners won't tell any difference. Infact pushing the engine is good for Lamborghini's because that's how Lamborghini engines are. If your dealing with the skidpad, pushing it to the limit means HARMING the car, as in burning the tires, etc., which is not good for the car. The owners will not be too happy about that. I'll give you a test for the Diablo 6.0 from R&T themselves:

0-60 mph: 3.6 seconds
    1/4 mile: 12.0 seconds
    0.99 g on the skid-pad.

the 0.2 second difference between R&T and Motor Trend is due to the fact that R&T uses a different (slower) timing of the clutch. It seems like they did an Ok job with their 6.0, so it's possible that they got it from the factory. But if the Diablo 6.0 does 0.99 g, then it really does not make sense for the Diablo GT to do only 0.97 g tested by the same magazine, unless it was privately owned or from a dealer, so that they were restricted. R&T did not make the comparison between the Diablo GT and the Z06, so it's not safe to do so yourself. R&T got more g's and a higher slalom speed from their 360 Modena than their F50 on two unrelated tests. Even though it's the same magazine that tested them both, that's not a good representation of the relation between those two cars. The F50 has much better handeling than the 360 Modena, and there is no question about that, even though R&T's tests point to otherwise. In the same way, you can't compare the two unrelated tests of the Z06 and Diablo GT because you won't always come to the right conclusions. I could make a good case that the Modena handels better than the F50 based on R&T tests alone, but it's just not true.

Regarding the '99 Diablo SV, Quatroroute has much easier access to the Lamborghini Factory than any American magazine, and they have the only test that I know of the '99 Diablo SV that's worth something. If your still looking for proof, the '98 and '99 Diablo SV is faster than the 6.0 beyond 60 mph, everyone who has driven it says so, and it's also faster than the F50 beyond 60 mph, which does the 1/4 mile in 12.1 seconds. It's entirely logical for it to do 12.0 seconds, and that's exactly what it did. Now the '97/'96 SV is a not the same car because it does not have VVT. I'd like to see if there are ANY tracks where a Viper GTS has a better lap time than a '98 or '99 Diablo SV. I don't think you will find any. Even if there are any tracks where a Viper GTS beats a '97 or '96 SV would be interesting.

If R&T lists skid-pad tests for the Diablo's as "n/a" it means exactly what it says: Nothing. Either a) they didn't test it, or b) they know they were restricted from pushing the car too far. Either way, it doesn't tell you anything about the car. Trust me, they are not trying to sheild Lamborghini from disgrace or something, if that is what you are hoping or thinking.

25. I think you misunderstood me when i said Road & Track tested the Z06 and Diablo GT , i meant they tested them at the exact same time on the same track on the same day , it was the VW test track , they tested all the cars at once with the same driver Paul Frere the former Le Mans Winner , they tested the 550 Maranello , Diablo GT , Z06 Corvette , Porsche Twin Turbo , RUF Twin Turbo, and BMW Z8
    Now you said i should never compare two differant tests from differant magazines but if i'm not mistaken you are doing the same in the thread Diablo GT VS Mclaren F1, using my information about the Mclaren F1 that posted , so don't be a hypocrite , and i agree with you about the Diablo GT it does handle better the the Mclaren F1 and its almost as fast
    Hell the 6.0 Diabo did a 0-60 in 3.4 and a 1/4 mile in 11.8@120.9 mph in Motor Trend , and Road & Track tested the Mclaren F1 it did 0-60 in 3.4 and the 1/4 in 11.6@125.0 mph , now its only off 2 tenths in the 1/4 , and thats because Lamborghini still uses a gated shifter. now seeing i don't have a full road test on the 6.0 Diablo , i cant compare the rest of the acceleration from above 60 mph, but i would love to see.