Re: Mercedes/AMG needs to rethink their engines

Discussion in '2002 Mercedes-Benz Vision GST Concept' started by no really, Aug 10, 2002.

1. another advantage of a older, time tested designs is added refinement
    and people need to know that when it comes to hp/l the hp is much more important than the l, a car with a 8 liter 450hp can perform just as good in any category as the same car with a 6 liter 425hp and the 6 liter has 14.58hp/l over the 8.0 liter, but how much easier would it be to make a 8 liter with 450hp than a 6 liter with 425 hp,so why add a bunch valves an another cam, just to save 2 liters when the 8 liter is just as good and easier to make and maintain.<!-- Signature -->

2. Mercedes/AMG needs to rethink their engines

I think Mercedes needs to ditch the SOHC 3 valves/cylinder, and go to a 4/5 valve DOHC design. I mean this is supposed to be a high performance engine tuned by AMG but it's only getting 66hp/L. People on this forum give GM crap for there low hp/L in the Trans Am and Camaro etc. and here we have Mercedes Benz and AMG not doing to much better! In my opinion Mercedes needs to catch up with the times in the Engine/Transmission department.

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mark</i>
    <b>I think Mercedes needs to ditch the SOHC 3 valves/cylinder, and go to a 4/5 valve DOHC design. I mean this is supposed to be a high performance engine tuned by AMG but it's only getting 66hp/L. People on this forum give GM crap for there low hp/L in the Trans Am and Camaro etc. and here we have Mercedes Benz and AMG not doing to much better! In my opinion Mercedes needs to catch up with the times in the Engine/Transmission department.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

4. This photo lookz trippee<!-- Signature -->

5. It may not be the most modern design when compared to other layouts like dohc, and 4 valves/cyl, but 3 valves being controlled by 1 cam per bank has advantages like simplicity/less moving parts. Same reason GM still uses pushrods instead of ohc. But as you know, Benz engines use ohc instead of push rods. Here are some other important ones:

Taken from SCI (July 97')

"Additionally, these new engines bring 3-valve technology to the game in combo with 2 plugs per cylinder. Though 3 valve heads aren't new(going as far back as 1912) they have a few interesting advantages when it comes to modern requirments. A single exhaust valve makes it possible to reduce the overall exhaust duct surface by about 30%. This means less heat is lost from the exhaust gases, whcih in turn helps warm the catalytic converters more rapidly. Using 3 valves instead of four also leaves more room for twin plugs, which can ignite the mixture independantly for infinite variations in the combustion process (A lean fuel mixture can be achieved in both cold and hot starting for example, greatly benefitting emissions.)"

6. Modern Mercedes engines are some of the strongest and most reliable in the world. They aren't trying to set specific output records, they're trying to keep the engine torquey and tractable.

7. yo but this car has all the latest safety devices<!-- Signature -->

8. Do we really need 360bhp in a minivan for God's sake? I mean how much faster do we need to get to soccer practice? this is a minivan!
    Oh, well...I did like their other Vision concept..too bad it's way out of most small country's price range...

Lord Blue<!-- Signature -->

9. At least Mercedes is trying to make Minivans likable to Moms and also DADS.

10. your trippin mark, their engines are fine!
    you should just shut the #$%# up, and go suck some dick!<!-- Signature -->