Re: Murcielago carbon fiber and steel???? panels

Discussion in '2002 Lamborghini Murciélago' started by daneedfospeed7, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Murcielago body panels

Is steel stronger than carbon fiber? I know carbon fiber is lighter, but many magazines have been saying stuff about the murcielago and the diablo about the body being made out of many different materials. They say for the roof lamborghini used steel "for strength." Excuse me, but I thought Carbon fiber was the lightest and stiffest material, so why not use it for the roof? After all, the car weighs at roughly 4020 lbs (this is from road and track, so the U.S. spec might be heavier than the suggested 3700 lbs) and it could use some lightening. Also, why is the murcielago using steel doors unlike the aluminum doors found in the diablo?

2. Re: Murcielago body panels

The roof is steel because it can be welded to the roof, which makes it alot easier than attaching a carbon panel. Also if you look at the forces that act on the roof of a car, they act in many different directions. Carbon fiber is only strong along the axis of the fibres, in other words, they are only strong if you pull them. Imagnine a piece of string, if you press the side of the string, the string flexes, but if you pull it, the string is strong. The forces that can act on a roof may not pull the fibers, but can compress them. Carbon fibers under compression are not strong at all. Steel is stong along an infinite amount of axis, so it is easier to set up. It would be possible to make a carbon roof, but it would mean that lambo could make a light car.

3. What kind of compression would the steel roof take? I mean other than making production easier, did lambo just choose steel so that the car would have maximum protection in rollovers or objects that fall on the roof? Steel doors is understandable b/c of the needed protection, but tell me, is steel stronger than the aluminum doors used in the diablo? The problem is that there won't be many days where a murcielago will flip. The chances of that are quite small, I assure you.

4. Re: Murcielago body panels

About 90% of the body is carbon fiber<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Murcielago body panels

on the roof all you need are those clip things (zeus clips??)on the carbon fibre like in race cars and bikes. you can eather have a pin or philip head version. PS> it would make mainternence easier<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Murcielago body panels

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bugatti rulz</i>
    <b>on the roof all you need are those clip things (zeus clips??)on the carbon fibre like in race cars and bikes. you can eather have a pin or philip head version. PS> it would make mainternence easier</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yea, they are called dzus clips, but on a race bike, the fairing is not a stressed member of the body. On the lambo the roof is a load bearing structure.