Re: mustang cobra would beat this easily

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary' started by 2000LS1, Aug 9, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from DoobieXtreme</i>
    <b>OK put it this way all mustangs suck, every one that drives one thinks there all that, the only reason the camaro is not going to be sold any more is because it isnt selling because of to high of price as where the mustang is in the low 20's. If you think that your mustang cobra r can beat the SS, well yur forgetting something, what about the ZL1 camaro uhh. and if that dosent cut it for you, we will go to the top of the line chevy agianst you top of the line ford which i assume is the cobra r, the top of the line chevy would be the ZO6, now give me a break, if you say the Cobra R could beat the Z06 i will laugh at you. You are found on road dead (ford). Chevy rules and they always will, thats all i gotta say.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Your precious ZL1 was beaten up by the Mustang BOSS. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Funny how you mentioned the ZL1 but didnt mention the mustang that beat it, using an automatic transmission. Fully Stock mustang that beat up on the camaro, and the camaro was using the engine block from a racing manufacturer, but still couldnt cut the mustard. These are the facts, this camaro is faster than the same year svt cobra, but not faster than the 2003 Cobra. The cobra R mustang was made to compete against the same year corvette, both mustang and corvette pumped out 385hp. So both the cobra r and the corvette are equal performers, not the new corvette. You are also forgetting that the mustang has a smaller engine than the camaro. a 4.6 engine vs a 5.7 engine pumping out nearly equal power, so if you think about it, which engine is actually producing more. Im not taking away any credit from Chevy, because their engines are power houses, and I do like their performance stats, but the design of the car, is ummm...well lets just say that the majority of the population looked away from the camaro, and projected their eyes towards mustangs, and yes the looks of a car are is just opinion.

2. Hoseman, Did you say that no bone stock Z28 can run 12.9? Well try 12.66 for the fastest stock LS1 Camaro... yes you seen right 12.66, and another guy hit 12.89... Yes, this was in cold weather, and all the perfect settings, but it still hit it..AND MMFF hit 12's in the middle of the day with the SS.. Im sure the SS is cable of atleast 12.8's or lower..<!-- Signature -->

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MantronixFX</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b>OK, you guys. Let's clear this up. I've owned by Ford and Chevy and I see the strong points in both.

First of all, the power issue. With the latest generation of Mustangs and F-bodies, the F-body has always dominated. That's why so many Camaro guys have testimony as to their superiority. However, you should NOT underestimate the new 2001 Cobras. There some very important points to make here. The 2001 Cobras are about the best SVT Cobra that Ford has made. Believe it or not they are dipping into the 13s in the 1/4 mile. In fact, in a straight line they are very close to the ram-air LS1, and the WS6. In every other way, the Mustang Cobra is a much better car. The handling, breaking, view of the road, and interior are so much better in the Cobra than the Camaro SS. Not only that but when you compare like options the Cobra is a little bit cheaper.

Fortunately for you F-body fellas, 99% of the Mustangs on the road are not the 2001 Cobra. You'll see plenty of 99+ GTs which you can easily spank. Probably the majority of them are the V6 or the 98 and earlier GTs (which are a joke).
    So you can still drive around with ease beating up on Mustangs.

PS: I know I'm going to get a lot of messages saying, "I killed an 01 Cobra." If you raced an 01 Cobra and it wasn't even close you either A: can't tell the difference between a 99 and an 01, B: have a modified Camaro vs a stock 01 Cobra, or C: you're lying.

One more thing. You add a centrifugal supercharger and a couple of bolt-ons to an 01 Cobra, and now you have a 500 horse power TERROR! Vortech superchargers for new Cobras are Vortech's #1 seller and for good reason. The high rev of the Cobra engine + high torque + Vortech blower = something you don't want to be next to. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You know what Seansvette?, Your one of the few members that I can honestly say that I respect because of your well spoken and knowledgeable approach to replys to these messages. Obviously unlike many...you favor American cars....not chevy or ford...but american cars. Its pathetic how so many members bash their rivals because of looks or performance. You hit it right on the nose. People that know about cars know that the GT mustang doesnt compare in HP to the camaro, and that the SS has more HP than the Cobra. Some guys also tend to compare a 2000 model to a 2002 model in an attempt to prove their invalid points. The combination of long tube headers, x-pipe, cat system, underpullys, custom chip, cold air induction kit with bigger mass air, adjusted gears....can get the 2001 cobra to run 11 seconds in the quarter mile. Now many may argue with me on this but, I think that is pretty amazing for minor mods to get the mustang to do that kind of magic. My point is that the 4.6 is a potent engine. Also, stock vs stock, gt's get beat up by camaros, but when a mustang is modified and a camaro is modified, I have seen more camaro losses than mustang losses. My opinion is that the mustang is meant for tuning, and that the camaro already comes tuned.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Just for your information, the guys on horsepower tv took two crate motors, one ford 351ci and one chevy 350ci, both rated from the factory at 385hp and 400lbs of torque (i think, I know it was equal and the chevy one is called 'fast burn 385'). They put the EXACT same mods from the EXACT same companies into each engine (including heads, cam, lifters, roller rockers, headers, etc). In the end, the Chevy engine, with the same EXACT mods coming from the SAME exact factory ratings, produced over 100 more hp and ft lbs of torque. Just to let you know, 4.6 may be potent, but I don't know bout those modded maros losing to moded mustangs unless they are unequally moded. <!-- Signature -->

4. Many , tell of u dumb people think that camaros are faster then mustangs.Well your wrong. Look at the cobra r for example show me a camaro that can beat that exept the zl1. As for beating the zl1 put 800 Hp in a cobra and what do you get?? A chevy killer. Many of you also say the cobra r cannot beat the new 2002 zo6. Look at the year morons. Compare the 2000 z06 to the cobra r and what wins huh??

5. Sorry about the spelling mistake. The real sentence is MANY OF U DUMB PEOPLE THINK CAMAROS ARE FASTER THEN MUSTANGS. everyone get that??

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from StangsKillALL</i>
    <b>Sorry about the spelling mistake. The real sentence is MANY OF U DUMB PEOPLE THINK CAMAROS ARE FASTER THEN MUSTANGS. everyone get that??</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Sorry, but once again, the Cobra R was specifically designed to beat the upcoming (2002) Z06 sonny. It wasn't designed to beat camaros. And whats with the 'except the zl1' part? Why can't I say 'except the cobra R' then? Geez. Look at comparable models, Z28 to GT, SS to Cobra Regular, and Z06 to Cobra R. did you get that?? Thats right, Chevy wins. OH, and maybe I should mention the fact the ford needs to force induction to get power, but i think i'll leave that out for now. <!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Yeah, that is cool to pop the hood, looks stock, and then you run 3 seconds faster than anyone thinks! Complete sleeper. Besides, it's not that obvious to see a stroker engine and you won't tell if there are new heads. Anyways, the person who created this is rigth. A '03 Cobra would beat this easily. And it would be foolish to think that beating a '01 is easy. But then again its never stock vs. stock. By the way, installing the headers/cams/cyl. heads would take 20+ hours and cost mucho $$$ plus the 5100$ while putting on a s/c is basically a bolt-on now.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Yea, read the kill stories on his site, but he does have to worry about people seeing his headers or hearing his stall at stop lights. Yes the person who wrote this statement was right...BUT he actually posted this BEFORE anyone knew the '03 was going to be supercharged. So in a since he was only right if he was tlaking about the Corba R (which he was not). This thread is almost 6 months old, read the first few pages even the hardcore Ford guys that posted said nothing about the '03 Cobra because it wasn't out yet. But yes the 2003 Cobra will more than likely beatthis car. AND BY THE WAY HOSEMAN, he installed the heads and cam himself! FREE!!! I'm telling you he did not even spend 5 grand to make this car run 10's. Read the site before you post!!!! I'm telling you, you will enjoy it.

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MantronixFX</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from FEF84</i>
    <b>In case your retarded, you also have to go through SVT to get to even 320 hp in a damn Cobra. I'll be brutally honest, the Cobras, and all Mustangs other than the GT500 (that isnt really even a Mustang), are a peices of shit. Before I put any money into my '98 SS I whooped the Cobra R at a stop light, keep in mind I have an Automatic (Im not sure why really), I've spent about $4k on my Camaro, and Vipers cant keep up. Don't give me this BULLCRAP about Mustangs, SVT is the same as SLP dumbass. And once again, the Camaro kicks the Stangs ass.

Hey i have an automatic 2002 Z28. People always say eeeww its an automatic, i say who cares. Kids think after 6 months of driving they can shift like a pro. what ever. So far never been beatin by a manual. Hey how many horses you got now, and what did you do for 4k$. to make it faster.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

People have a misconception about transmissions. I good example of a brutal Powerhouse is the Mustang BOSS that raced against the ZL1. The mustang Boss is an automatic....0-60 in 1.9 seconds.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    With the right set-up an auto can be just as potent or even deadlier than a manual. Auto's launch very hard.

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from StangsKillALL</i>
    <b>Many , tell of u dumb people think that camaros are faster then mustangs.Well your wrong. Look at the cobra r for example show me a camaro that can beat that exept the zl1. As for beating the zl1 put 800 Hp in a cobra and what do you get?? A chevy killer. Many of you also say the cobra r cannot beat the new 2002 zo6. Look at the year morons. Compare the 2000 z06 to the cobra r and what wins huh??</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    WOW YOUR DUMB!!!! There is no 2000 Z06 moron!

10. #110 2000LS1, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from StangsKillALL</i>
    <b>Many , tell of u dumb people think that camaros are faster then mustangs.Well your wrong. Look at the cobra r for example show me a camaro that can beat that exept the zl1. As for beating the zl1 put 800 Hp in a cobra and what do you get?? A chevy killer. Many of you also say the cobra r cannot beat the new 2002 zo6. Look at the year morons. Compare the 2000 z06 to the cobra r and what wins huh??</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    LMAO!!! Put 500hp into a Camaro and what do you get? A Cobra killer! Proof: w www.motorsporttech.com - 9 second Camaro for $45,000 (engine AND car). Proof: www.agostino-racing.com - 9 second Camaro for $45,000 (engine AND car). Bet you there isn't a 500hp 9 second Cobra for less than $45,000. Once again, my best friend has a 2001 5spd Cobra and he runs 13.9's with $1,300 worth of exhaust work and I run 13.3's 100% STOCK at the same track!!!!!!!! The only 2 Cobra's that can beat this car are the Cobra R and the '03, one has a supercharger and the other is a stripped street legal limited production race car. The N/A 4.6 will NEVER beat the LS1...EVER!!!!!

11. Cameros are faster.<!-- Signature -->

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from American HP</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 2000LS1</i>
    <b>Well I went and did some research on what American HP said about the '03 Cobras. Wow man, you weren't kiddin about that 390hp. But isn't the total price gonna be like $40k+ for the charger option? OUCH Ford!!! It would be sad if this car does not run a good low 13. If it does dip into that range then I'll take back what I said about the LS1 owning the Cobra =). Nice hp for a 4.6 Ford. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    No, ford stated that they want to keep the price under $35,000. For some good info on it check out the march 2002 motor trend. 390hp, 390lb-ft of torque, 6-speed, and all for under $35,000, I can't wait!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think its $35K for the Convertible and $30K for the coupe

13. The Mustang Cobro would beat that so easily!!!

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from H1Hummer</i>
    <b>The Mustang Cobro would beat that so easily!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Well since no one here has ever heard of a Mustang "Cobro" then I guess you're right.<!-- Signature -->

15. #115 2000LS1, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Importwithlessthan6lickballs</i>
    <b> ok you guys are all stupid......different camaros are better than different mustangs.....different mustangs are better than different camaros.....so shut up...what are you gonna compare your ZL1 PROTOTYPE to....stop trying to compare your ZL1 monster (yes it is a monster i will admit) to every mustang....when it goes into production then you can compare...i saw a video of it and its a track killer. with few mods and drag tires it ran a good 9. i dun think it will become a production car though so dont get your hopes up camaro fans..i am a fan of alllll american muscle im on any american side againsed Sushi burners not mustang vs. chevy. ill tell you what though production wise...that new Venom Viper 800 TT will #$%#in CRUSH anything that goes up againsed it...i mean cummon, 0-100 in 6.5? ouch thats about as fast as a #$%#in integra goes from 0-60

Ricky</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    LOL, the 800TT is no longer the king of the hill. Check out this 0-60 in 1.97 on LEGAL tires, and this car passed a Texas smog test:
    http://www.supercars.net/Msg?viewThread=true&forumID=2&threadID=93487 <!-- Signature -->

16. i know its a bad mother#$%#er but its not in production...yet.i have mentioned it in many other forums and i fully aware of its power. its....#$%#in outta this world and if it goes into production i will shit in my pants. anyways thanks for the hyperlink it was sweet.

Ricky

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Importwithlessthan6lickballs</i>
    <b>i know its a bad mother#$%#er but its not in production...yet.i have mentioned it in many other forums and i fully aware of its power. its....#$%#in outta this world and if it goes into production i will shit in my pants. anyways thanks for the hyperlink it was sweet.

Ricky</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Production??? The Hennessey 800TT is NOT a production car and neither is the Lingenfelter 427TT...they are both TUNER cars. Yes this Lingenfelter is "available to buy" if that's what YOU mean by "production." You can go to John Lingenfelter this very day and ask him to build you this Crovette and he will.<!-- Signature -->

18. Camaros are faster they have always beaten the mustang in every form(cobra vs. ss, gt vs. z28, v6 vs. v6 there's no denying it). Now the 2003 cobra is out and it has 390hp. with a supercharger. If you put a supercharger in a camaro it would go faster. If you want to compare factory stock cars against eachother the camaro would still win, because the 2003 mustang will be fast, but the 2002 camaro zl1 is faster and it has 400hp.(about the same price as a normal camaro ss) and is naturally aspirated. The mustang is nice and I would take one if I could, but there's no denying that a camaro is faster. The camaro zl1 has better handeling than the mustang, but the mustang has better interior and there's no denying that.

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Camaros are faster they have always beaten the mustang in every form(cobra vs. ss, gt vs. z28, v6 vs. v6 there's no denying it). Now the 2003 cobra is out and it has 390hp. with a supercharger. If you put a supercharger in a camaro it would go faster. If you want to compare factory stock cars against eachother the camaro would still win, because the 2003 mustang will be fast, but the 2002 camaro zl1 is faster and it has 400hp.(about the same price as a normal camaro ss) and is naturally aspirated. The mustang is nice and I would take one if I could, but there's no denying that a camaro is faster. The camaro zl1 has better handeling than the mustang, but the mustang has better interior and there's no denying that.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Well the zl1 is NOT a production car, not made in the numbers as the Cobra. And the zl1 is NOT a stock car. You can't compare stock vs. tuned...but even as you are, you think the camaro will win around the track over the fastest and best handling cobra ever? I would think not.

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Camaros are faster they have always beaten the mustang in every form(cobra vs. ss, gt vs. z28, v6 vs. v6 there's no denying it). Now the 2003 cobra is out and it has 390hp. with a supercharger. If you put a supercharger in a camaro it would go faster. If you want to compare factory stock cars against eachother the camaro would still win, because the 2003 mustang will be fast, but the 2002 camaro zl1 is faster and it has 400hp.(about the same price as a normal camaro ss) and is naturally aspirated. The mustang is nice and I would take one if I could, but there's no denying that a camaro is faster. The camaro zl1 has better handeling than the mustang, but the mustang has better interior and there's no denying that.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So sad... and now camaros are just an "out of stock" product...LOL !<!-- Signature -->

21. #121 Heyman, Aug 9, 2002
  22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

The ZL1 is NOT a factory car, not made by GM. It's a tuner.

2001 Cobra is just as fast as a 2001 SS. The 2003 Cobra is faster than any SS. The z28 is a little faster than a GT, but camaros do not handle better than mustangs. Not at any level especially the cobra.

23. #123 2000LS1, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>2000LS1, the Tymensky's NA modular mustang ran a 9.77 @ 139. That was naturally aspirated. It does have a 5.0 stroker, but he says that only contributes about 15RWHP.

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2002/february/modmotor/mod1.ASP

Thought you'd like that.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    NICE!<!-- Signature -->

24. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

The ZL1 is NOT a factory car, not made by GM. It's a tuner.

2001 Cobra is just as fast as a 2001 SS. The 2003 Cobra is faster than any SS. The z28 is a little faster than a GT, but camaros do not handle better than mustangs. Not at any level especially the cobra.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    I still have yet to see a 2001 Cobra run a 12... because there have been MANY reports now of LS1 Camaros running 12's STOCK at sea level.<!-- Signature -->

25. Production??? The Hennessey 800TT is NOT a production car and neither is the Lingenfelter 427TT...they are both TUNER cars. Yes this Lingenfelter is "available to buy" if that's what YOU mean by "production." You can go to John Lingenfelter this very day and ask him to build you this Crovette and he will.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

what the hell are you talkin about? how many lingenfelter vettes were made? a whopping one? just like the McClaren F1, it is considered a "production car" and how many were made? not 10,000+ like any mustang or camaro but it was PUT INTO PRODUCTION FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. If you read the May 2001 issue of MT which is sittin in front of me right now, you would see the questions asked to John Hennessey. Why would he talk about all the changes he wants to make for the "NEW VIPER". lol john lingenfelter would probly make me a lingenfelter vette but not for $72,000 like the Hennessey viper is...and tell me something else under the consumer info secion on the spec grid why does it say ON SALE IN THE U.S: CURRENTLY? the made a whole lot more than one of these monsters....sorry :(