Re: name a top 10 list of greatest cars ever...

Discussion in '1993 McLaren F1 GTR' started by ferrari F40 GTE, Aug 10, 2002.

1. 2Man what about the Jaguar D-Type, probably the only good Jag

2. Nah,
    the Jag XJ220 is the greatest Jag ever--->Designed by Italdesign!

3. 1.Lamborghini Murcielago
    2.Mclaren F1 LM & Mclaren F1
    3.Lamborghini Diablo GT
    4.Pagani Zonda S
    5.Ferrari 360 Modena
    6.Porsche 911 Turbo
    7.Shelby GT500
    8.Buggatti 16/4 Veyron
    9.Ferrari Enzo
    10.Mitsubishi Evo 7

4. 1) Mclaren F1 GTR
    2) Mclaren F1 LM
    3) Lamborghini Diablo VTTT
    4) Mercedes Benz CLK GTR
    5) Ferrari 550 Maranello
    6) Dodge Viper Venom Twin Turbo
    7) Porsche GT2
    8) Porsche 911 Turbo
    9) Mazda RX7
    10) Toyota Supra

P.S. I would put the [Original] Hummer in here, but I guess we're only talking about cars. Also I put the Viper in here primarily because I live in America and it's the only real sports car we have. I put the RX7 and Supra in here because, even though they aren't in the same class as the others really, I still like them quite a bit and believe that they are the best in their class.

5. 1)Dauer 962 LM Porsche
    2)Gt40
    3)Mclaren F1 LM
    4)Koenigsegg CC 8s
    5)Carrera GT
    6)Mosler MT900
    7)Shelby Series 1
    8)Shelby Cobra
    9)Caterham r500
    10)Vanquish

6. I can't believe some people like the Dauer best!!!!-Sorry!!!

7. #32 khari, Jan 2, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    It's the fastest street-legal production car, and has been for 9 years and counting. With the 2003 model it will not only retain that, but set an official world record, most likely breaking its previous 250mph speed. The 962 also has a very successful endurance race history, dominating for the better part of a decade. No stock production car currently has a chance on any track. All that, and good looking too IMO. The pics on this site do it no justice. See www.962LM.com and go to the presentation for some more info and better pics.

Why do you like the Mclaren so much?

8. Ridiculous!
    The Mc Laren is the finest Supercar of all times!!!
    There were so many efforts to make this car perfect!
    -Look, there is a 3-seater layout (excellent for the driver)
    There is the awesome engine, the BMW 6.1 V12 with 627 hp!
    -Only one engine (serial) got more hp out of 6 litres --> Enzo's V12!!!
    There is the carbon fibre monocoque which makes the car incredible lightweight!!!!
    Only the best components were taken for this car and that makes it for me the best supercar ever!
    -Also the Enzo is a perfect performance-machine!!!

9. "The McLaren F1 will launch from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and tops out at over 240mph making it the worlds fastest production car. This car is in the US and ready to drive today with California compliant EPA & DOT. Nothing can touch it. Recent overhaul by McLaren included paint, interior and over $250,000 in upgrades & custom options. No car is quicker, sexier, or more exclusive than a McLaren F1... and this is the absolute best of them all.
    This is not a car temporarily in the US on a tourist visa. This is not a converted race car. This car is mint. Always cared for by the best. This car was outfitted with longest and greatest list of options and custom changes possible.

The concept: To create the ultimate of the ultimate. The best of the best. The greatest example of the greatest car ever conceived and built. The car that is the fastest, the most radical, the best handling, with all the comforts of the Four Seasons, and the speed of the Space Shuttle, wrapped in a one of a kind orange carbon fiber body.

NOTHING IS BETTER!"

Any quests>>>

10. "McLaren F1

Well, I've fallen in love with the McLaren. It is the greatest street car I've ever driven. The McLaren is deceivingly fast, and it isn't until you approach a corner at 140 mph that you think, 'Gee whiz, maybe I'm going a bit quicker than perhaps I should be.' It drives just like a car on slick tires, without the jerkiness to it. The car is very well balanced, and the gear lever very positive. The brakes are very hard, and you have to use a lot of pedal effort. The McLaren's linear powerband is amazing. It's a serious car with a power-to-weight ratio close to that of my IMSA race car. — Steve Millen

From the photos, the McLaren F1 appears bigger than its actual size, and the car's small stature is surprising. Open the swing-up doors and it looks like a Navy fighter jet with its wings folded up. The seating positions are unique, with the driver in the center flanked by two additional seats. It's easiest to climb, or rather contort one's body, into the driver's seat from the left side where the shift lever doesn't get in the way. And once in, the sweeping view forward is amazing.

Turn the ignition key, hit the starter button, and the starter takes a few turns before the V-12 gulps in enough air to fire. Initially the engine clears its throat with a coarse note, but it smooths out quickly and settles into an unassuming idle. Depress the clutch and slide the short-throw gear shift into 1st. Give the throttle a hard tap and the powerplant immediately stands at attention. Ease out the clutch and the McLaren lunges forward.

Residing midship is an awesome BMW 6.1-liter V-12 M-powerplant, churning out a whopping 627 bhp at 7400 rpm and 479 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. Mated to a 6-speed manual transmission, the F1 can catapult off the line to 60 mph in only 3.4 sec., and reach the quarter mile in 11.6 sec. with the speedometer needle pointing at 125.0 mph (also see our December 1997 road test).

Find a long straightaway on the track, grab the steering wheel and stomp on the throttle. Hold on! What follows is an immense acceleration rate that firmly presses my body into the seat. Sitting dead center in the car with the road rapidly sliding beneath me, I feel like I am glued at the tip of a streaking missile. Pay attention, though; the tachometer surges upward and lights up the red shift indicator at 7500 rpm before I can blink my eyes. Quick shifts to 2nd gear, to 3rd and to 4th. And wow! Suddenly I realize the F1's velvety powerband is seemingly endless. I can't help smiling. At speed, even though I can't see the fast-approaching corner, my eyes still squint hard trying to make it out, just to be safe. Before the thumping of the powerplant behind me tries to bump up my heart rate to match its pace, I look down and see myself traveling at more than 140 mph. Scary.

As swiftly as the F1 can pick up speed, the cross-drilled and vented disc brakes can haul the car down. The brake pedal controls the calipers with absolute precision. And even without ABS, the tires claw the asphalt with tremendous traction.

At corner entry, the McLaren's short nose turns toward the apex as soon as I demand it. Then the car behaves with moderate to mild understeer through the corner, and there is very little roll, helped in part by having the driver's seat near the center of gravity. Since the engine responds to throttle almost instantaneously, careful modulation of power on corner exit is easy. After that, it is just another hammer-down exhilarating ride to well past the century mark on the speedometer.

In the McLaren with Millen, the car feels surprisingly comfortable. The ride is supple. And through quick switchback turns, the F1's suspension soaks up most of the bumps and handles the corners with a nice progressive lean from one side to the other. There is nothing sudden to upset the car or its passengers. Millen comments: "The McLaren is mighty impressive. It's surprising that you can call this a road car because it's really a race car. I never thought I would drive a street vehicle so technically sophisticated. I love the smooth and broad powerband. This is the ultimate road car."

My heart rate after the ride: 125 bpm."
    So far>>>

11. 3 seater layout? Less room per person is ismply what that means, and in a car like that you need every inch you can get.

Best engine? We seem to be comparing the Dauer to the F1 so...

Dauer: 3L straight 6 with 720 hp.

Mclaren: 6.L v-12 with 627 hp

You decide.

Incredible light weight? The Dauer is 200lbs lighter...

12. For the very last time mate:
    The Dauer is an unusable supercar!-If u want to go racing than take the Dauer or the F1!-For all the other things like daily use or just enjoying driving around with the finest car ever u MUST use a F1!
    The Dauer is a piece of ...!
    Look, whaz so amazing about that car,huh?-Iz fast and thaz the only thing!The handling of the F1 has the effect of a race car but also the comfort of a street car!!!
    So never ever compare a Dauer to the finest super car...the F1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanx°°°
    PS:The Dauer engine is a TWIN TURBO...and I talked about natural aspirated engines!!!
    The weight is not unusual for a race car!

So I decide and you should overthink your opinion!

Cya

13. I forgot to tell you that I talked about non-turbo engines!Sry!

14. Have you even seen the interior of the F1? It looks like a race car, and has about as little room as one. Daily use? A damn echo is better for daily use than the Mclaren, that doesn't make it better does it?

You keep saying the Mclaren F1 is so special, yet you can never quite be specific as to just what it is that makes it special. Because some Magazine journalist said so? Please, enlighten me as to why the Mclaren is uncomparable to anything else, and what makes it the "finest supercar" as you said. (Also, don't bring up the 3 seater layout or quote anymore entire magazine columns)

15. I have my opinion and you have yours!-That's it!
    Thanx°°°

16. 1. Ferrari Enzo
    2. Ferrari F-50 GT
    3. Ferrari F-40
    4. McLaren F1 LM
    5. Lamborghini Diablo GT
    6. Porsche 911 Turbo
    7. TVR Speed 12
    8. Pagani Zonda
    9. 1967 Shelby GT500
    10.1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

17. 1. R390 GT1
    2. F1 LM
    3. F1
    4. CLR LM
    5. F1 GTR
    6. F1 GT
    7. Carrera GT
    8. S7
    9. 962LM
    10. CLK GTR

18. Here's my own list, including some vintage machines:

1. 1995 McLaren F1LM
    2. 1964 Ferrari 250GTO/64
    3. 1997 Ferrari 333SP
    4. 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe
    5. 1998 Porsche GT1
    6. 2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta
    7. 1965 Ferrari 250LM
    8. 2000 Mercedes SLR
    9. 1997 McLaren F1 (Street)
    10. 1999 Toyota GT1

19. The LM is also a street-legal car!

20. Re:

No specific order:

Blitz Skyline(300 hp per liter- Beat THAT!)
    Veyron 16/4(1000hp monster- Beat THAT!)
    Maybach 57/62(Largest, most expensive, most powerful sedan- Beat THAT!)
    Ferrari F50(Velcro-like handling- Beat THAT!)
    Enzo Ferrari(Killer looks, killer performance- Beat THAT!)
    Porsche Carrera GT(The Ultimate Porsche)
    Mercedes CL65 amg(600++ hp luxury coupe- Beat THAT!)
    Mercedes S600 pullman(hi-tech limo with onboard laptops- Beat THAT!)
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo(450 hp- Beat THAT!)
    Volkswagen Touareg(750 Nm V10 Turbodiesel- Beat THAT!)

21. #46 AutomobiliLuigi, May 6, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  22. 1.Mercedes CLK GTR Super Sport
    2.CLK GTR Coupe
    3.CLK GTR Roadster
    4.SLR
    5.F1 GTR
    6.F1 LM
    7.F1 GT
    8.F1
    9.Bugatti 16/4 Veyron
    10.Porsche Carrera GT