Re: Not the fastest

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by Bugatti driver, Aug 9, 2002.

1. LOL A 260 MPH SUPRA...dont make me laugh more...i mean theyre awesome cars..i mean id kill for one but...theres no way they could make a supra go that fast and be street legal....::poops his pants:: heh<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari F60</i>
    <b>this was not the fastest car because this car was a custom car. only one was made which made it not a production car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    YES, it's not a production car anyway.

3. Forget MPH you Guys!! your living in the past....
    Here in britain were into MACH numbers

If you want a fast carriage try our Thrust SSC

760mph mach 1 ....Supersonic
    Fastest Car on Earth ( Thats what i'de call Vanquish )

Its also road legal.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuperSonic</i>
    <b>Forget MPH you Guys!! your living in the past....
    Here in britain were into MACH numbers

If you want a fast carriage try our Thrust SSC

760mph mach 1 ....Supersonic
    Fastest Car on Earth ( Thats what i'de call Vanquish )

Its also road legal.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Its fast, but it ain't close to being street legal. And if it were street legal it would never win a race, Those types of vehicles have to be pushed by a truck to get them started. But yeah its fast as hell.<!-- Signature -->

5. <center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote>
    <b>THIS IS NOT A PRODUCTION CAR!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center>

6. IvanKaramazov, meet Ferrari F60. Ferrari, Ivan.

7. are all you hadcore european car fans threatened by this car. it seems to me that you don't have anything faster that is street legal. so quit putting callaway and chevy down because you know your ferari and lambos arent faster. and everyone who says vettes suck what other car are you gonna get with the performance for the money.

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vettesrule</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari F60</i>
    <b>this was not the fastest car because this car was a custom car. only one was made which made it not a production car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Callaway never claimed this as the fastest production car ever, that's the McLauren F1, it is the fastest street legal car ever. No other street legal car has gone faster, though I hear someone is working on a supra that is supposed to go 260. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    they never did cuz they never could<!-- Signature -->

9. Yeah, and all your expensive ass European cars got nothing on it.

10. ivan your a !#&^$) retard of course this is not a production car

11. This car is fast however I do doubt its cornering ability, for some reason yanks forget that cars need to go arond corners and focus just on 1/4 miles and top speed (that is why yanks are so good at drag racing). Put one of these cars against a McLaren F1 or TVR speed 12 on an intricate street circuit and the vette will not look as impressive, however on a circuit like talladega the vette would shit all over the competition, due to a mind blowing top speed.

Bottom line is, this is a fast car but it is not the most awesome piece of machinery out there on the road.

12. Another point, if you look at the list of the fastest cars, you will notice that the cars below it are all rather LeMans breed supercars or concept cars of tomorrow. To this vettes defence (however reluctant I am to give it) the top speed recorded is incredibly fast by todays standards, but for 1988 this is awesome.<!-- Signature -->

13. I don't ask questions, I just say how nice or sh*tty certain cars are. I love this car.<!-- Signature -->

14. "arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics... even if you win you're still a retard."

15. Printing stuff over and over again just makes you look retarded.

16. First of all. None of you have driven this corvette. You dont know that it is sh!tty on the corners. My parents own 2 vettes, and they have active handling. You switch that on and good luck trying to break the tires loose. I live in the rocky mountains of colorado, and trust me, there are plenty of natural corners. By the way, my dads vette has 450hp, and its still ungodly difficult to break the tires loose with the active handling system on...

17. A. American Cars are renowned for the fact that they have a very low level of technology. The only way that they make their cars go fast is to add a bigger engine, like a 5.7 litre V8.

B. As a consequence of this lack of technology the cars chasis is well behind the rest of the world, including Europe and Japan.

C. If you cannot get the wheels to spin in a car with 450bhp (even if it is only a corvette) you cannot drive for shit, or the traction control system is killing the performance of the engine enough to make it work like a chrysler Neon.

D. You have obviously never driven a euro car if you make statements like "a stock Z06 will beat Euro or jap cars" because it won't.

E. My suggestion is that you go and find a decent euro car and see what real engineering, handling and driver satisfaction is.

18. HEHEHEHEH where to start.......

A. American Cars are renowned for the fact that they have a very low level of technology. The only way that they make their cars go fast is to add a bigger engine, like a 5.7 litre V8.

And every one else just add's a bigger turbo and waits 2 months for it to spool. Put your foot downb in a V8 and there is NO waiting for power. Or you can go the S2000 route and make like 100 lbs of torque but at 9000 RPM's that equates to 240 HP (torque * RPM = horsepower). Wheres the fun in that. Horsepower is only a calculation, torue is what moves you.

Also the corvette had the LT5 back in 1990 with 32 valve and DOCH. Why have such an expensive setup is you can get the same results for much much less with pushrod motors.

B. As a consequence of this lack of technology the cars chasis is well behind the rest of the world, including Europe and Japan.

Yeh, umm try one of the stiffest chassis in the world, espcially in convertable form, nothing touches it.

C. If you cannot get the wheels to spin in a car with 450bhp (even if it is only a corvette) you cannot drive for shit, or the traction control system is killing the performance of the engine enough to make it work like a chrysler Neon.

I believe he was referring to not spinning the rear tires as in a burnout but making the back end fishtail out around a corner. The C5 probably has the best active handling of any car.

D. You have obviously never driven a euro car if you make statements like "a stock Z06 will beat Euro or jap cars" because it won't.

The Z06 beat a 911 TT and the new M3 around the track. So far i think thats all its been paired up with on a road track. (Car and Driver and Motor trend)

19. FOA, this is a Supercar page and not a Supernation page. If one criticises a car he most likely doesn't like the car and not the country that builds it.
    I think it should be required to own a driver's license to post in these forums, as this would get most of the kids out of here that have appearently never driven a car and swear as if you'd insulted her mother when you just said you don't like a Corvette.
    I mean this car sure looks a little crappy but hey, it's from 1988. I can't figure out a lot of cars from back then that look finer.

20. amen brother. the 80's werent exactly a time when muscle was abundant
    n this car is proof that the 80's actually produced sumthin good car wise. the 80's also were when i was born tho. im 18. i drive an 84 vette. so not all of us that post replys are jus talking. but i do have to agree with u that there are alot of people here that brobubly have never even come close to driving a car like this one. i hope to someday make my vette this potent. for right now tho, im jus gonna b glad i have a vette.

21. For the people who said Corvettes arent good handling cars and our cars are behind Japan and Europe.

Motor Trend Feb 2002

2002 Chevolet Corvette Z06

0-30 -1.79
    0-40 -2.84
    0-50 -3.30
    0-60 -4.07
    0-70 -5.39
    0-80 -6.41
    0-90 -7.81
    0-100-9.48

1/4 mile 12.48@114.9 mph
    600 Ft Slalom 70.3 mph
    skidpad 0.99 G
    braking 60-0 104 feet.
    and a top speed of over 175 mph.

i CHALLENGE you to find me another car no matter what country that makes these numbers and passes the very strict EPA DOT emissons and cost ONLY $ 50,420 and is totaly street legal for road use in the US.
    Oh and good luck cause your going to need it. and one other note this Z06 handles a HELL of a lot better the in Mclaren F-1.

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 94FORMULA</i>
    <b>You are right, this car is nice. The 0-60 time has to be wrong, because w/ 880hp, this could do 2.3-2.5 seconds. I love it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

u obviously no nothing about cars! the size of this car helps to build momentum which contributes highly to the speed this means that the car has less acceleration but higher top speed, just like some motorbikes have faster acceleration than some cars with a lot higher topspeed its because they're lighter!

23. this is not the fastest car if you want to consider horribly modified cars. Chryslers PT bruiser is the fastest, with 1183 horsepower and a 0-60 of 1.3 seconds. its top speed is 265mph and only one of them was made, just like this corvette<!-- Signature -->

24. Look, the only reason this car gets so much attention is bc this site claims that it is the fastest car blah blah blah. BS! It's only the fastest because Supercars.net isn't able to get it's hands on info saying otherwise. And if that still doesn't convince you top speed is worthless just compare everything to the fastest land vehicle, Thrust One. Top speed: greater than mach 1 (over 761 mph). Of course, that's with two Rolls Royce jet engines, but who cares right? It's still the fastest... (This peice is dedicated to all those dumbasses who think this car is worth anything more than a rat's ass.)

25. I'M TIRED OF TALKIN TO ASSHOLES WHO LOVE THOSE CRAPPY JAPENESE CARS OR VIPERS AND THAT KINDA SHITY CARS. IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT REAL SPORTS CARS THEN TALK ABOUT A LAMBORGHINI, A FERRARI, AND ESPECIALLY THE NEW BUGATTI EB 16/4 VEYRON WHICH IS THE FASTEST PRODUCTION CAR RIGHT NOW, **** THE MCLAREN F1 OR STUPID ASS CHEVROLET CALLAWAY SLEDGEHAMMER CORVETTE.

THE VIPER IS REALLY UNDERPOWERED BECAUSE IT HAS A HUDGE V10 BUT A BMW V8 OR A PORSCHE 6CYLINDERS TWIN TURBO ENGINE WOULD BEAT IT. AND DON'T SAY ANY THING ABOUT A TUNED VIPER OR RACING VIPER CUZ IF THEY HAVE TO TUNE A V10 TO GET IT TO PERFORM GOOD THEN THEY REALLY HAVE PROBLEMS.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TALKIN TO ME ABOUT A SUBARU. THEY SUCK. PEOPLE ARE COMPARING IT TO A BMW, BUT THEY DON'T COMPARE STUFF LIKE TOPSPEED OR QUALITY AND STUFF LIKE THAT CUZ THEY KNOW THAT THE BMW WOULD WIN. AND IT'S AWD SYSTEM IS REALLY OLD, MY GRANDFATHER HAD A LANCIA DELTA WITH THE SAME AWD 25 YEARS AGO.

JAPENESE CARS SUCK MY LEFT NUT,
    AMERICANS HAVE GREAT CARS (CAMARO, TRANS AM...) AND SOME SHITY CARS (VIPERS, CORVETTES)
    EURO CARS ARE THE BEST.<!-- Signature -->