Re: NSX vs. VIPER (quality vs. crap?)

Discussion in '2001 Honda NSX-R Concept' started by AnAcOnDa, Aug 9, 2002.

1. But again, as far as track performance goes, the NSX-R and Z06 are pretty much even in performance; Z06 a bit faster, NSX a bit quicker in the corners.

A good example is the NSX-R's Nurburgring lap time which is 1/10th of a second faster than Chevrolet's CLAIMED best lap time for the Z06.

Now, yes, the Viper is a bit faster around a track than the NSX, but only due to being sorely outpowered, the Viper (while it handles very well now) is still a bit slower in the twisty sections. But because the Viper's handling is much better than it used to be, it handles well enough that it wouldn't lose too much distance in the twisty sections, and it gains a lot of distance any time it's accelerating.

If you watch an NSX closely around a lap, you'll notice that in the twisty sections it keeps pretty close to its speed on faster parts of the track, that's a sign of good handling. However, because it only has 276hp (although it uses that power exceptionally well) it's not fast enough to keep up in the straights.

2. Yeah, it seems everyone is repeating the same thing, brute power, rear wheel drive and good grip gets the viper round the track fairly well, but cos of its weight and slightly off balance front and rear weight, it can cause problems (like people have said) on the track. NSX is light, nimble, mid engined, well engineered and the revs, layout and light weight can help round the track when pulling out of corners, bla bla bla (the list goes on.) You have to respect that the Dodge was designed as a big bruiser that could handle ok and be classed as a supercar. NSX was designed to bring track technology and engineering to our roads. Reviews on these cars vary from different people/magasines etc. Compared to each other the NSX is nimbler and better engineered, Viper is powerful, torquey and big. Like many people have said this is not a fair comparison, but it is interesting reading all your comments and seeing that there is still some kind of chips on japanese and american car fans' shoulders over each others cars. Remember each countries people have different ideas of what a good car is, it is up to the people who drive them reguarly on the track/road to make fair comments on them. We should maybe compare the Viper and a TVR Speed 12, or NSX vs Noble M12. Remeber brit cars are available for comparison!

3. Yeah, it seems everyone is repeating the same thing, brute power, rear wheel drive and good grip gets the viper round the track fairly well, but cos of its weight and slightly off balance front and rear weight, it can cause problems (like people have said) on the track. NSX is light, nimble, mid engined, well engineered and the revs, layout and light weight can help round the track when pulling out of corners, bla bla bla (the list goes on.) You have to respect that the Dodge was designed as a big bruiser that could handle ok and be classed as a supercar. NSX was designed to bring track technology and engineering to our roads. Reviews on these cars vary from different people/magasines etc. Compared to each other the NSX is nimbler and better engineered, Viper is powerful, torquey and big. Like many people have said this is not a fair comparison, but it is interesting reading all your comments and seeing that there is still some kind of chips on japanese and american car fans' shoulders over each others cars. Remember each countries people have different ideas of what a good car is, it is up to the people who drive them reguarly on the track/road to make fair comments on them. We should maybe compare the Viper and a TVR Speed 12, or NSX vs Noble M12. Remeber brit cars are available for comparison!

4. and you repeated your comment!

5. Im jus sayin mi 2 cents here! i didnt even read what you guys posted?
    For my opinion is that the only reason that the NSX in that test at R&T lost was because the drivers arent probably used to a high reving car. You guy should watch his supercars race with souped up cars. Ferrari, Gemablla Prosche's and a Murcielago and the NSX. On the corners the NSX owned the Murcielago on the corners even though the car was outpowered the NSX still beat it on some straight aways. Now for the comparison between a Viper and the NSX and the ZO6. As far as ergonomics and quality. The NSX will outlast them since they are made better because they are hand made. If u want a fair competition, make the cars with the Same amount of HP, lets say like 600HP so all cars gain. Put them on a race track, the best challenging tracks are Bathurs which is built on a hill and Nurgburing. If u hav watched the movie with the famous Japanese Driver who beat his son on a R34 and h was on a RX-7. It was the same guy who drove the NSX on the fast lap. Put him on the NSX and put any race car driver on the vette and viper and put a 5 lap race and we will see who will win???? Think before you jus reply to this think of all accounts1!!! Handling braking,stability and engine reliability. You give ur opinion and why

6. Well if your a SKILLED driver, you will know how to make turns durring a race. You cant expect every car to drive like a LeMans car.

If you have patience and actually "THINK" you can make these great turns.

If your not skilled, dont talk

7. Well, it happens all the time with GTS class LeMans Vipers (i.e. team Oreca drivers), you wouldn't say they're unskilled would you?

I have more skill than you could ever possibly hope to have.

All good driver's know that when you're pushing a car to its potential, you don't have time for patience, and rarely have time to think, only time to react.

8. I would say they dont have the patience to make that perfect turn. Remmember, I could care less what country they are from, its bashing on the car I dont like.

BTW you dont know me so you dont know my skill...

9. Please Datsun by all means fill us in. We would all love to hear feedback from you on how the NSX and Viper handle. You sound like you have a lot of experience on the track. And by the way, which car is it that you like?

Patience on a corner? What do you drive, a reliant robin? Perhaps in that you have time to do equations on how to go round a corner without incident.

This thread is not for slagging each others skills or lack of them, it is a discussion on two cars. If you cant make fair comments and keep your ego under control, maybe you sir should think about not talking, all you are going to do is antagonise people.