Re: question

Discussion in '2000 Chevrolet Silverado SS Concept' started by swdodgeviper87, Aug 9, 2002.

1. question

when it says a rear mounted transmission, what does it mean? just wondering...<!-- Signature -->

2. This truck borrows a lot of chassis/frame design from the C5 Corvette. The LS1/6 engine is mated to a 'torque tube' which runs the length of the driveshaft (The driveshaft is inside this tube). Mated to the torque tube is the 6-speed transmission which is directly fixed to the rear axle.

This concept allows for better weight distribution, and the torque tube serves as a 'backbone' for the car/truck making it extremely rigid. Anyone who has driven both C4 and a C5 will tell the difference in handling and ride almost immediately. To the best of my knowledge, the only other cars using this 'backbone' is the $250,000+ Ferrari 550 Maranello/Barchetta and 456M GT/GTA.

3. Believe it or not I actually got to sit in that truck for a few minutes when GM Special Vehicles team had it at The ALL-GM Nationals in Carlisle,PA. Such a sweet truck.<!-- Signature -->

4. Thats an awwful lot of HP for a truck
    i hope thats not a 4 door..........

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 300ZXmaniak</i>
    <b>Thats an awwful lot of HP for a truck
    i hope thats not a 4 door..........</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

yes it is alot of hp for a truck, but it's a racing truck don't forget that<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from LegendNH</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 300ZXmaniak</i>
    <b>Thats an awwful lot of HP for a truck
    i hope thats not a 4 door..........</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

yes it is alot of hp for a truck, but it's a racing truck don't forget that</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

this pick up is targeted straight to the Ford Lighting...
    and its rumored that its going to have more horses than it, and 4 -doors which will make it more... utiliarian than the Lighting, I would like to see it retain the front corvette -like bumper and fascia, it sure rocks...<!-- Signature -->

7. Whats even better is that all this power is coming from a naturally aspirated eninge. Ford couldnt even get close to this horsepower with their supercharged lightning. But ford sucks, so it doesnt surprise me.

8. This truck has to be the fastest truck now. It could waste the hell out of the ford lightning. And yes Ford does suck! Chevy Forever! FORD SUCKS! (especially Mustangs)<!-- Signature -->

9. ONE WORD COMES TO MIND WHEN I SEE THIS TRUCK "AWESOME"

i mean look at it it looks like a lowrider and truck put together.
    if it does come out i would like to buy it.<!-- Signature -->

10. You guys are just pissed because the #%$gots running GM don't have the balls to produce a truck that's worth a shit. They'll never make, and even if they do it's soooooooooo ugly that nobldy will buy it. The Lightning is the king of the street!

11. I'm sorry Keith is so unattached from reality. Anyone that doesn't realize this truck has made the Lightning look like the obsolete piece of trash that it is needs to wake up. If this truck EVER makes it to production I know I will be buying one without a doubt.<!-- Signature -->

12. This is the best truck I have ener seen in my life its got looks that will make bystanders drop jaws a gauk at it forever look at the POWER it is unstoppable its way better than the ford lightning and faster as well but as you can see through history GM has always been better than ford oh yea ford is wacked out I hope to god I will get any one who loves this truck to convince GM to put this beutiful machine into production so I can purchase a 100 of em I already own a GMC seiera with the most powerful engine and is nothing compared to this ford is always in the slums cant learn from chevy<!-- Signature -->

13. Chevy NEEDS to put this truck into production!!!!!!

This is exactly what chevy needs to make the ford lightning look like a little toy truck!

14. keith you are insanly stuipid im gonna laugh at you when ford gos bankrupt and you are driving hondas and riceshooters ford SUCKS ASS
    <!-- Signature -->

15. Here's a better sport truck.

2003 Dodge Ram
    short box regular cab
    353 ci Hemi V8
    a nice supercharger

just a new Ram with the 353 is going to be rivaling the lightning, if they make an R/T Ram, you Ford boys better watch out.

16. This is a concept - so I won't hold my breath. The Lightning is lighter (a 1/2 ton vs. this 3/4 ton chassis), but this seems like it will have more power (not to mention 6 gears), so it'll be a close match. The Lightning is also designed to HANDLE on the street (200ft skidpad of .86g's, I think) - it drives like a NASCAR truck. This heavier, longer GM truck would be hard pressed to compete with it on that ground.

Personally, I hope they do produce it - a little competition never hurt anybody. If Ford had kept the T-Bird a match (or even CLOSE) to the hallowed 'vette, everyone would be benefiting from that rivalry today. Oh, and yes, this is a naturally aspirated big block (vs. Ford's supercharged small block), but it's 403 cubic inches versus Ford's stroked five-oh at 330 cid. And the Lightning's only squeezing 8 pounds of boost max output. And Ford rocks.

17. Thats what I call a Lightning Killer!

18. dodge has nothing on this SS or a lightning. everytime they attempt to make a fast truck they screw it up. look at the ram ss/t or that supposed to be fast dakota(i dont know what its called) they suck huge ammounts of ass.

19. I test drove a '96 Dodge SS/T Official Nascar Pacecar truck recently. The handling was better than I expected, but the power was definitely lacking. It was $15 G's for a 6-year old truck, and only that low 'cause I knew one of the sales reps. It had nothing on any of the Lightnings I've seen or test driven.

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from chevyGOd2001</i>
    <b>keith you are insanly stuipid im gonna laugh at you when ford gos bankrupt and you are driving hondas and riceshooters ford SUCKS ASS
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ford F-150 is and has been the top seller in the US for the last few years and 4 of the top 10 best sellers in the US are Ford. If more of your countrymen believe in Ford, then how do they suck ass??

21. Guys before you put your foot in your mouth lets examine some specs on this SS CONCEPT:

Silverado SS: 0-60 7.08 SECONDS
    Lightning : 0-60 5.8 SECONDS

Silverado SS: 1/4 mile in 14.12 @ 100
    Lightning : 1/4 mile in 13.9 @ 100

Yep, the current PRODUCTION Lightning is faster then this concept and the Lightning has 100 less HP and 10 less torque. Credit the SVT team at Ford for this crowning achievement and the every versatile 5.4. The Lightning is so much ahead of the game that they could easily up those figures if warranted. Hell some modded out Lightnings are running low 11's and teasing the 10 sec barrier. Damn!

22. This truck is nice, I would pick it over a Lightning anyday but the SRT is probobly going to shut both down. Its sad to say because im the biggest chevy supporter there is. awsome to see that big block, if they want to kickass they should join up with lingenfelter and twin turbo it. Who wouldnt buy it.

23. i jus gota say this is tha best lookin,lowrider,um...eveything truck
    and if they DO put this S.O.B. in production..4 tha comortial if u seen tha new Impala cumertial w/ all tha hydro impalaz.they should do tha same 4 this but only like S10 hydroz nshit...no whut im takin bout?

24. Lets get something straight first of all fordkillschevy (which is a oxymoron) your stats for the silverado ss concept are nothing but bullsh*t that you pulled out of your a$$. Hotrod Magazine did a report on this truck and it has a 0-60 time in 5.2 seconds. The 1/4 mile is 12.8 seconds. The ford stats are right but with the REAL stats of the SS silverado you can see it does kick its ass in acceleration, but i don't know about handling. So stop making up bull results to try and make ford look bettter you retard.

25. #25 GoNeNsiXtY, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Thanks kingpin for telling that dipshit off. Now lets get another thing strait if Chevy was to make a single cab with the 5.3L vortec and build it like a lightning then Ford would get beat once again by Chevy. If you go to www.motortrend.com and look up West Searing Silverado then you'll see that they made a single cab 4.8L V-8 vortec motor (automatic) and it ran a 14.1 in the quarter mile. Imagine the 5.3L 327 kicking out 8psi of boost, ouch Ford would get there asses handed to them again,by who?? Yeah, Chevy.