Re: RE: weight

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. RE: weight

This gto is only going to be 3600 or less nothing higher. It's going to be a lighter version of the monaro.<!-- Signature -->

2. I guess no one wants to argue with me. That's good. <!-- Signature -->

3. This is nothing new [from you]. We know you always thought this, but you have NO PROOF.

Motortrend says: Based on the Holden Monaro, the rear-drive Pontiac will sport few minor changes from its Australian sibling beyond badging, fresh front fascia, and engineering adjustments to accommodate the harsh North American climate.

Here is my stance: It will probably weigh ~3600 lb. There is no way of knowing whether these minor changes will effect weight at all, or which way. Lighter or heavier. There is no way you can justify a comment like that.<!-- Signature -->

4. Whatever. Just as long as it can carry on the legacy of its '65 predecessor.<!-- Signature -->

5. there is no release yet on the final wieght, and it cant carry on the legacy.<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>there is no release yet on the final wieght, and it cant carry on the legacy.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes, it can. If firebirds went out of bussiness and came back as a current 2002 model in 2002 you would probly think it has nothing to do with the old firebirds so it's ugly. <!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>there is no release yet on the final wieght, and it cant carry on the legacy.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes, it can. If firebirds went out of bussiness and came back as a current 2002 model in 2002 you would probly think it has nothing to do with the old firebirds so it's ugly. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It can come back whenever it wants [the GTO], it just has to LOOK LIKE A GTO. Not a rounded family car with a badge.<!-- Signature -->

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>there is no release yet on the final wieght, and it cant carry on the legacy.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes, it can. If firebirds went out of bussiness and came back as a current 2002 model in 2002 you would probly think it has nothing to do with the old firebirds so it's ugly. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i never said it looks ugly.

p.s. your signature is really quite long. lol<!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

i never said it looks ugly.

p.s. your signature is really quite long. lol</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I know that's why I shortened it.<!-- Signature -->

10. Does the new Mustang look like the 70' Mustang? Does the new Camaro look like the 69'? Does the new Vette look like the 53' (thank god it dosen't). Times change and so do cars. With the exception of the awful looking Thunderbird (with that ugly little porthole) and the absolutely gorgeous Ford GT40, I can't think of any cars that have come back the way they were originally.

Nobody,with the exception of a few die hard American muscle car lovers, would buy this car if it looked like the original. It's got the tradional muscle with the traditional backseat and the traditional name with the traditional Pontiac symbol. That's enough tradition for me.

11. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>Does the new Mustang look like the 70' Mustang? Does the new Camaro look like the 69'? Does the new Vette look like the 53' (thank god it dosen't).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Do those cars look like family cars?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>the awful looking Thunderbird (with that ugly little porthole)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but, whatever.<!-- Signature -->

12. the facts are no one has any proof of this things weight, so how can we know how quick it will be? it's all just a bunch of educated guesses at this point.<!-- Signature -->

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>the facts are no one has any proof of this things weight, so how can we know how quick it will be? it's all just a bunch of educated guesses at this point.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Your right, but we do know that the mustang cobra will be heavy. It weighs 3664lbs. that's quit alot. Does anyone know if it will have good handling?? I think it will with todays technology.<!-- Signature -->

14. It should be about as quick as the HSV coupe GTO which is a Monaro with similar power to that of the new pontiac GTO and it does 0-100 in under 6 seconds and does the 1/4 mile in high 13s

15. I also read that it would generate a top speed of about 160 MPH. That's pretty damn sweet!

16. This will have the same weight has the monaro they arnt taking anything out its all the same weight it has the same interior the engine modifcations arnt going to weigh the car down so what ever the monaro weighs so will the GTO.

17. Wrong!! The GTO will weigh 3600lbs. or less.

18. They wont be reducing the weight of the monaro for the gto. This would involve taking out luxury features and thats not gonna happen

19. well yes, the new mustang that's due to come out will look like an older version. but that's only because they're going retro. anyway, my point. those cars you talked about, of course they don't look like the originals. their designs have progressed over time. the gto died long ago. so how could it's design progress over time if this is to be a rebirth? this isn't a gto. it's just a normal car with the gto badge. tradition? you can't slap some badges on some1 elses car and call it tradition. this car has nothing to do with any gto except for the badges. i refuse to accept this car as a gto. it's an australian car, not the rebirth of a legend. not to say that australian cars are bad, maybe a bit heavy(from what i've seen on this site). i just think they should have designed a new car for the gto. maybe with a little bit of retro, but mostly new style. this has nothing but the name of the old car.

20. It's got good power, and I'm sure but its going to be a great car.. but it looks like a pile of ass. The 60's GTO's had a very distinct style to them.... they looked like they were fast. This looks like a retaded grand am, don't get me wrong, I'm sure its going to be an awesome ride, but couldn't pontiac make it look a little more aggressive.

21. Actually the original GTO was based on a family car (the Tempest)

22. First of all, the new Mustang was specifically designed to look like the Mustangs of old. Secondly, how could you possibly "thank god" that the boring ass looking piece of shit new vette doesn't look like one of the all-time classic designs?

Most importantly, I think you missed the point. I don't think anyone wants this car to look exactly like the GTO's of the muscle car era, but it would be nice if it adhered to the same philosophy. You know, a two door with aggresive syling? The only thing this car has in common with the original is that it's extremely overweight. A car this size should be 5 or 6 hundred pounds lighter than it is.

23. You are an ass, he's thanking god because the old vette, had a crappy I-6 "Blue Flame" with only 175hp in a damn heavy "sports car". I think that 405hp in a 1300kg car is pretty good.

As for the GTO, it's a premium coupe. Equipment and other crap make it heavy. Plus it can't be lighter, then it will be a threath for the Vette.

24. I agree with that last comment.

25. sorry how long was the 65 in production if only 2-3-4 years thats hardley a legacy of any sort must have been one good car if thats the case.