Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

Discussion in '1972 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU1' started by 3654ever, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Real reason XU-2 was never released

The real reason that the XU-2 (the LJ Torana body with a 308 ci V8 in place of the six) was never developed is that some very paranoid, moronic members of the press starting writing some very denegrating material about how fast these cars were capable of going (along with the Charger and Falcon), and the possibility of them falling into the wrong (inexperienced) hands. A shame really - it also put an end to the Phase IV Falcon and a possible 340 powered Charger. These would have really put Australia on the performance map.<!-- Signature -->

2. Ah, but Australia is certainly on the performance map THESE days... Check out the performance figures for their HSV's, and even some of the stock Holden models. Those cars really haul ass. Even with the new ones they're exporting to the US under other names, America will never see the supercharged Corvette V8's being put into any of the import Holdens 'cause of the bloody EPA. They take emissions a bit to seriously in the 'States. So Australia ought to be damn proud of producing some of the most powerful sport sedans in the world.<!-- Signature -->

3. The XU2 was a different body shape!!
    More a sports coupe then the XU1!!!

4. #4 Tickford5400, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Yep the "Supercar scare". If anyone wants to read about how the Phase IV GTHO was affected by the supercar scare go to http://www.fouronthefloor.com.au/garage/phase4.html

I wasnt around those times but it's a real shame to think what affect the Australian auto industry might have done on a global scale.

I guess in a sense the same think happened to USA. Theirs was more emissions orientated, but the cars that came in the late 70s to late 80s werent the most exciting.

With cars like Dodge Vipers, Ford bringing back the GT40 - most likely supercharged, while the Corvette is set to return with a larger displacement engine when C6 arrives, America better watch out.

Australia too, as history is known to repeat, all we need is one dick in the media write another story about how Ford and Holden are producing cars that are capable of unnecessary speeds. With cars like GTHO set to return with over 300kw, and Holden probably going to use the stroked LS6 some where dowen the track, this could prove to be just the recipe to to spark another media frenzy.<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Gimme Fuel</i>
    <b>Ah, but Australia is certainly on the performance map THESE days... Check out the performance figures for their HSV's, and even some of the stock Holden models. Those cars really haul ass. Even with the new ones they're exporting to the US under other names, America will never see the supercharged Corvette V8's being put into any of the import Holdens 'cause of the bloody EPA. They take emissions a bit to seriously in the 'States. So Australia ought to be damn proud of producing some of the most powerful sport sedans in the world.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

so wat........FORD GT........will be the fastest 4 door sedan in the world........holden cant even get that right.<!-- Signature -->

6. In its day, the E49 R/T Charger was the most powerful six cylinder production car in the world, and was the fastest accelerating six cylinder.
    And something I am dying to know - what are the 0 - 60 and standing 400m times for the best vehicle that HSV produces? I want to know if they have knocked off the E49's title of fastest accelerating Aussie production car (which I expect they have).<!-- Signature -->

7. The best HSV produces was the VT II GTS which recorded a best (I think best) of 0-100 in 5.31 and 0-400m in 13.54

8. Errr HSV and CSV have had the fastest 4 door cars in the world since the Corsa 5800i came out in 1996.

9. HSV's are production cars.

10. It pretty much is made by Holden. HSV get the cars and just enhance the engine and suspension and interior a bit.

11. HSV's are production cars, they have dealers where you can buy them unlike aftermarket places where you buy the car and then take it yourself to be modified. The HSVs arent made on the same production line as the normal commmodores but HSV is owned by Holden so they are Holden production cars

12. The Phase IV Falcon would have been the fastest 4 door production car if it was made, and it was made by FSV not directly Ford.
    HSVs are production cars. look up production in the dictionary.

13. Yep it was the moronic media that killed the XU-2. But there was several v8 XU-1's made. They were disguised as modified racers and raced several times, including once at bathurst. It clocked a 2min 39.6 secs, a good 4 seconds ahead of the 6 cylinder XU-1, but not quite as quick as the GT-HO. This was an offical factory production, it just wasnt run under the HDT name. With development and testing, the V8 Xu-2 would have easily beaten the big Hos around the mountain.

14. Yes they are production cars. If they weren't produciton cars than you wouldn't call the MErc SL 55 AMG and Wrx Sti production cars. Holden gives Hsv the stock cars then Hsv tune them and sell them as HSV production cars.

15. EVOTMEcrazy
    "HSV's are not production cars. Holdens fastest production car is the SS Commodore which is faster than the E49R/T Charger but it is an 8 cyl. I think the closest to the Charger in the 6 cyl range of cars made in Aus would be the Ralliart Magna"

You are a hypocrit, you call the HSV not a production car because it is modified in a Sub-Company, yet the ralli-art magna is just that. Ralli-art is a sub-company aswell, imbasil.

16. You have to be one of tthe dumbest #$%#s i have ever lisened to, if HSV's arn't production cars, then the old GT-HO's arn't because they are built by FSV wich equals Ford Special vehicles. now lets brake down the word "HSV" into Holden Special Vehicles. it stands for vehicles that are holdens, just special versions. Dumb Ass! and the quickest time for a HSV is the HSV 427 wich never made production but any who, it did a quarter mile in 11.8 and to 100 in 3.8 which is a match for a modern Lambo! but the current GTS's times are 13.34 and 5.24 respectivly. and no one should ever dout holden when they are pissed of, who ever said that holden can't build the fastest 4 door, just wait for the next GTS! 6.2 Litre GEN IV

17. You are correct in that there was a huge campaign by the media and 'do gooders' at the time to lobby the powers that be to ban the new generation of good old aussie 'muscle cars' from ever being put into production. Not only was the XU-2 canned [which was really a project that Harry Firth was undertaking at the time to try and match the speed of the phase III HO's], but also the sports coupe GTR-X and the Holden Hurricane, both of which I saw at the Sydney Motor Show in 1975 [at least I think it was '75 I could stand corrected on the year]. I have photos of both, in my archives somewhere, and when I find them I will post on the board.

18. Well, as promised I managed to find a pic of the GTR-X, but not the ones I took at the motor show. Found this in a paper article.

19. Err.....what about the XR6 and XR6 Turbo? And they are production cars, as they are now made directly by FORD and not by FPV/Tickford or who-ever they call themselves these days.

20. Meet the 2 new boys on the block.

HDT 'Blue Meanie'; supercharged 6.0L 490kW (657hp) - 1078Nm.
    0-100km/h 5.72secs, 400mtrs 13.91secs (but the car was playing up when Wheels tested it).

Walkinshaw E2 Supercar; supercharged 6.2L 480kW (644hp) - 802Nm.
    0-100km/h 4.57secs, 400mtrs 12.76secs (the quickest road registered Commodore EVER tested by Wheels). 80-120km/h in SIXTH gear, 7.3secs. HSV GTS, 12.1secs.....LOL.