Re: screw the rotary

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-8' started by Cobra R Stinger, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Only people drives are like 40 <!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from StealthBoi</i>
    <b>Someone asked why other companies don't use the rotary engine.
    The reason for that is, because Michigan didn't support the rotary engine back then!
    That's why there are so few RX-7's in North America, while in Japan, they're everywhere. Also why no other companies moved towards the rotary engine. But hopefully things will change in the future!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Quite a few companies have used the rotary. NSU, Citroen, Suzuki, Moller, amongst others. GM had both a 2 rotor and 4 rotor engine under development at the time of the energy crisis.

You have to remember, the rotary as we know it was patented by Wankel, and he only licenced it to a few companies.

Oh, and it wasn't originally developed as a form of forced induction. Jeeze, where does this misinformation come from?<!-- Signature -->

3. how about this 3 rotor 3 turbo RX-7 :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. lets see 250hp, from 1300cc? no poppet valve piston engine can do that and be a driveable, neigh production engine item.

I had a drive of a series 6 RX-7 a while back. 26B rotary (2.6 litres), 710hp, has flat torque 550Nm from 4000rpm to 9000rpm and redlines at 10000rpm
    ....naturally aspirated ... thats right, no turbo or NOS just 98 octane premium ...
    now, can you say PISTONS SUCK ?

5. screw the rotary

they should put in some damn pistons

6. Another Lemming

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mike10</i>
    <b>they should put in some damn pistons</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

why?

8. YO MIKE10 GO EAT SOME SHIT WHILE YOUR AT IT<!-- Signature -->

9. screw the rotary? Its the best thing since toothpaste. lol

10. why screw the rotary? its way better than pistons! you can never over rev it. its so dam effiecent theres not much you can break in there and you get plenty of power from it<!-- Signature -->

11. I say screw piston engines. Well, not totally, but I think with as much development as piston engines, Rotaries could be a very very good engine. If only they could do something about the apex seals.. the part of the rotary which wears the quickest.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SpecGen</i>
    <b>I say screw piston engines. Well, not totally, but I think with as much development as piston engines, Rotaries could be a very very good engine. If only they could do something about the apex seals.. the part of the rotary which wears the quickest.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It's actually the rotor housings, more so due to corrosion like a head in a piston motor.

Back in the 70's, the piston motor very nearly got wiped out. Ford was oh so close to phasing the rotary in across it's entire range.
    Food for thought...

13. here's a little more food for thought, for all the vette people and their bad ass v8's, GM was originally going to put 4 rotor engines into the vettes. due to the rotary being such a new engine at the time and gas and emmissions and stuff, they chose the piston engine. <!-- Signature -->

14. Why the #$%# do you chevy fans talk shit so much this rx8 will whoope the shit out of corvetts stock!<!-- Signature -->

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReDLinEPoRsChE</i>
    <b>Why the #$%# do you chevy fans talk shit so much this rx8 will whoope the shit out of corvetts stock!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you ignorant, or in denile? The RX-8 has NO chance against any Vette these days. I love the RX-8, but I know what it can and cannot do.<!-- Signature -->

16. Considering I havn't seen a review of a press test drive, I find that statement hard to beleive.

17. Rx8 will win vetts are for people going through mid life crisist<!-- Signature -->

18. Damn Yankee Ba*****!
    You just don't get it!
    "WE AMERICANS, WE MAKE BIG CARS AND BIG ENGINES, BIGGER IS BETTER"
    Example from the land of cheap gasoline!
    What if Mazda would make a 7.6L Rotary engine! how many bhp it would generate? Think that.
    Why should car have big motor? if it burn rubber and goes way over legal speedlimit with smaler motor?
    I laugh when there is no oil to waste anymore and nations have to limit the oil usage and you americans can't anymore waste oil in your over big motors. HAHAHAA
    PS:eek:ne Liter fo gasoline costs about one american dollar in here so why don't you think again why we don't use those over sized cars!

19. Why do people rip on vettes so much. the only reason it doesnt get the respect it deserves is jackass's like you wanna stereotype it. Its proven for the past liek 5 years to give the best bang for the buck. yeah it cant beat a mclaren, but it 50k. being bias cause you only like hondas or top end supercars doesnt help you learn more about em. if a car is good rippin on it cause you have shit against ford or chevy or all the jap cars isnt gonna change anything( cept to make more ignorant shits like yourselves). As far as the rotary engin goes it has the best potential or any engin eas of yet. you cant deny after seeing the power they put out per liter. the only problem from what i understand is they burn out after about 50-75k miles. id like to see some more developement of this engine.

20. who ever slams the rotary engine has never owned one. the center of gravity is lower than any piston car, it ways a quarter of what a 350 chevy does and it when it comes to durability if you arent stupid and do everything you are susposed to it will last you forever because notning can break. i know someone who had 300k miles on his not bad for a sports car

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mafia boy</i>
    <b>This poor boy hasn't been taken for a hard thrash in a 13B turbo RX3 obviously!! :D:D Once you've been pinned back by the launching power of 500hp produced by 15lbs. boost of extend ported rotary power you almost don't want to go back to a piston car. C yas!! Mafs!!

P.S. If you guys want to see something else, Summernats 2002 in Australia's leading 13B turbo produced 427rwhp in qualifying just yesterday!! That's easily 550hp@flywheel. More food for thought there.....1.3L in size.....550hp.....works out at 420hp@litre. Let's see any STREET LEGAL piston motor do that!! C yas!! Mafs!! </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And how much torque did this 1.3L engine have?

LOL! Oh damn, sorry about that. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Torque don't matter, HP is a measure of your engines ability to make torque and put it out. Rotarys make kick ass torque anyway.
    With 15lbs a 2-rotor makes maybe 300 lb ft ... so whats your point?
    Show me a 1.3 litre piston engine that makes that much.<!-- Signature -->

22. who ever said put in some pistons does not know anythign about cars....do you even now waht a rotary engine is?

23. #23 smrtgi95, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mr Rotary</i>
    <b>Considering I havn't seen a review of a press test drive, I find that statement hard to beleive.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Just FYI for those interested... A press test drive can be found at http://www.rx-8.com/images/roadandtrack.pdf Notice the part at the end where the guy from mazda says that they plan on resolving the torque issues... Good stuff if you ask me.

24. Somebody said something about when there's no more oil?

Well... that doesn't really apply to this argument.

See, rotary engines are notoriously thirsty. The oil crisis in the 1970's (I think that's when it was, I'm only 21) helped delay the advancement of rotary engines.

I'm not talking down rotaries, in fact, I'm a fan of rotaries because they're such a different approach, when everyone else uses the same concept<!-- Signature -->

25. This poor boy hasn't been taken for a hard thrash in a 13B turbo RX3 obviously!! :D:D Once you've been pinned back by the launching power of 500hp produced by 15lbs. boost of extend ported rotary power you almost don't want to go back to a piston car. C yas!! Mafs!!

P.S. If you guys want to see something else, Summernats 2002 in Australia's leading 13B turbo produced 427rwhp in qualifying just yesterday!! That's easily 550hp@flywheel. More food for thought there.....1.3L in size.....550hp.....works out at 420hp@litre. Let's see any STREET LEGAL piston motor do that!! C yas!! Mafs!! <!-- Signature -->