Re: screw the rotary

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-8' started by Cobra R Stinger, Aug 10, 2002.

1. ChrisV, mate u got it wrong. At 3000revs a single rotor would fire 9000 times. Remember that they have three faces to turn per rev.

I have an Rx4, with an early modle RX7 engine. It make 495.6 hp @ 16psi. with no boost in makes just over 350hp. Just like mafs said, thats a yell of a lot of hp/l. I'd like to see a piston engine do that from 1.3L. I closest thing that comes to my mind in comparison is F1 cars. 3L and about 800hp, with no boost. I make 269hp/L, Ferrari makes 266hp/L. Imagine if Ferrari started to develope rotary engines for there f1 cars. I'd say about over 1000hp.

Rotary's will never be common place. That is why they are so great. Boys in their Holdens and Fords and Vettes just don't and never will understand them.

2. ya really those thing are unreliable ne ways

3. It is very difficult to compare rotary and piston engines to one another because both a vastly different, yet the same. If you want a compact, powerful little engine that will make gobs of power get a rotary. If you want a big engine that throws torque everywhere get a piston engine.
    The only downfall to the rotary is it hasn't been developed as long as the piston engine has. Nicolas Joseph Cugnot built the first steam-powered piston engine in 1770 with Karl Benz making the first gasoline-powered internal combustion piston engine in the 1880's. Dr. Felix Wankel didn't make his rotary engine until the 1960's. See a difference? The gasoline piston engine has had almost 120 years to be perfected by 1,000's of companies world-wide, where as the rotary has been around for only 48 or so years, with Mazda being the only company to really experiment, perfect, and produce effective rotary engines. If it were to be perfected, the rotary engine would far surpase the piston engine. And piston engines are more common, making them more popular. Imagine if Karl Benz created the rotary in the 1880's the Felix Wankel making the piston engine in the 1960's. Imagine were the piston would be. We would still had pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder (although that can be a good thing), and no concept of Dual Overhead Cams (DOHC). The rotary engine would be putting out vastly superior numbers, i can't even speculate how high. And more companies would have experimented with the rotary engine, making it more widly accepted and developed. Everything from lawn mowers to motorcycles to power generator would include rotary powerplants. But that didn't happen, did it. Instead piston engines are cheaper to make sense they have been on the molds for 100's of years, more widely excepted, and have been given time to develope. It really is sad. If everyone would simply just except both forms of the internal combustion engine, piston or rotary, both would gain from each other. Who knows, we could have rotary-piston hybrids by now if everyone would just except it. GM was going to put a 4-rotor (Basically two 13B Mazda engines with the back off one and the front off another then they were combine, it was very crude)in their Corvette. But GM is stupid and bailed.
    I guess the point i'm making is everything can co-exist. Just accept it people. Rotaries may die someday, piston engines may die someday, or we can accept them and have both. As for me, I love rotaries and would love to see them evolve into something that is more widely accepted and more effciant. I will no longer exhaust the issue and move on now that i have stated my point. No more ignorance, rotaries exist, piston engines exist, deal with it.

4. It is very difficult to compare rotary and piston engines to one another because both a vastly different, yet the same. If you want a compact, powerful little engine that will make gobs of power get a rotary. If you want a big engine that throws torque everywhere get a piston engine.
    The only downfall to the rotary is it hasn't been developed as long as the piston engine has. Nicolas Joseph Cugnot built the first steam-powered piston engine in 1770 with Karl Benz making the first gasoline-powered internal combustion piston engine in the 1880's. Dr. Felix Wankel didn't make his rotary engine until the 1960's. See a difference? The gasoline piston engine has had almost 120 years to be perfected by 1,000's of companies world-wide, where as the rotary has been around for only 48 or so years, with Mazda being the only company to really experiment, perfect, and produce effective rotary engines. If it were to be perfected, the rotary engine would far surpase the piston engine. And piston engines are more common, making them more popular. Imagine if Karl Benz created the rotary in the 1880's the Felix Wankel making the piston engine in the 1960's. Imagine were the piston would be. We would still had pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder (although that can be a good thing), and no concept of Dual Overhead Cams (DOHC). The rotary engine would be putting out vastly superior numbers, i can't even speculate how high. And more companies would have experimented with the rotary engine, making it more widly accepted and developed. Everything from lawn mowers to motorcycles to power generator would include rotary powerplants. But that didn't happen, did it. Instead piston engines are cheaper to make sense they have been on the molds for 100's of years, more widely excepted, and have been given time to develope. It really is sad. If everyone would simply just except both forms of the internal combustion engine, piston or rotary, both would gain from each other. Who knows, we could have rotary-piston hybrids by now if everyone would just except it. GM was going to put a 4-rotor (Basically two 13B Mazda engines with the back off one and the front off another then they were combine, it was very crude)in their Corvette. But GM is stupid and bailed.
    I guess the point i'm making is everything can co-exist. Just accept it people. Rotaries may die someday, piston engines may die someday, or we can accept them and have both. As for me, I love rotaries and would love to see them evolve into something that is more widely accepted and more effciant. I will no longer exhaust the issue and move on now that i have stated my point. No more ignorance, rotaries exist, piston engines exist, deal with it.

5. Too late for Mazda...

Haha Mazda. You're too late in the sports car race (pardon my pun). This car is about on par, but its release is unacceptable. You must have learned a lesson from Ford about releasing new cars when you promised to release it at an earlier date. Hmph. I hope the RX-8 sells as many in America as it did with the RX-7; there aren't a lot of RX-7's roaming the streets are there? Hmmm...probably because they all overheated and died, as they should. Felix Wankel would totally disapprove. Shame on you fools who have faith in the rotary engine.

6. can't screw the rotary coz it chopped off ur dick?

7. Re: Too late for Mazda...

ford OWNS mazda

8. Re: Too late for Mazda...

ford OWNS mazda