Re: Shelby 427 could smoke this car

Discussion in '1996 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport' started by Leo323, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Shelby 427 could smoke this car

Corvettes suck they have slow acelerations there slow and weak a shelby cobra 427 could beat it

2. Well durr a 427 could beat it, it only costs 1/2 a million dollars and is a full blown race car. But in '66 when the Cobras came out the '66 Yenko Vettes took them head on. Vette a weak car w/ slow accel.? Why don't you take a look at the Mustang GT or V6 for a minute.

3. a shelby 427 is a big block and could never pass emissions test which this corvette can pass emissions test and is a small block engine. like the other guy said this isnt a race car like a shelby cobra is this is a consumer sports car designed for some speed, extreme luxary, modern design and features, and mass production. the only thing a shelby cobra has is speed

4. Not all of the cobra 427's were race cars. They had the S/C (semi-competion which was the road version) which was a mass produced car that killed any production car in it's path in the 60's (and would still kill most today) and they had the C/C (which was the competition coupe) it was the full blown race car of which around a little over 20 were produced. And considering these cars were run in the lemans series and whooped all over ferrari (along with the GT40 and the Daytona Coupe) i don't think that speed was the only thing the cobra had going for it.<!-- Signature -->

5. who cares there is always a car that can beat another car this is just like saying a Lingenfelter can smoke any Shelby or any saleen <!-- Signature -->

6. Your absolutly right there are always cars that will beat other cars. I'm only 16 but i am a die hard shelby fanatic (as you can tell by my name and also way before gone in sixty seconds came out. It also doesn't hurt to have a dad that owns a 67 shelby). But i can admit that there are actually cars out there that will beat shelby's and that they are not the absolute best cars in the world (even though they basicly rank up there with me). Oh and about your comment saying that a lingenfelter can beat any shelby or saleen i don't know if you were serious or not but i doubt they can. I don't know the performance numbers on the lingenfelter, but put it up against the Shelby Series 1 or the Saleen S7.<!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from tyne89</i>
    <b>a shelby 427 is a big block and could never pass emissions test which this corvette can pass emissions test and is a small block engine. like the other guy said this isnt a race car like a shelby cobra is this is a consumer sports car designed for some speed, extreme luxary, modern design and features, and mass production. the only thing a shelby cobra has is speed</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

put collector plates on it... love the shelby, but love the vette more, both great cars. true to american heratige

peace

8. I have no prob with the 427 Cobra beeing able to smoke this car, its only one of fastest American car ever made. Even today it would burn most anything but a Viper or Z06, or some multi-hundred thousand dollar exotic from Europe.

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shelbymaniac</i>
    <b>Your absolutly right there are always cars that will beat other cars. I'm only 16 but i am a die hard shelby fanatic (as you can tell by my name and also way before gone in sixty seconds came out. It also doesn't hurt to have a dad that owns a 67 shelby). But i can admit that there are actually cars out there that will beat shelby's and that they are not the absolute best cars in the world (even though they basicly rank up there with me). Oh and about your comment saying that a lingenfelter can beat any shelby or saleen i don't know if you were serious or not but i doubt they can. I don't know the performance numbers on the lingenfelter, but put it up against the Shelby Series 1 or the Saleen S7.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Well actually Lingenfelter just made a Corvette that has a 3.0 0-60 time. I'm not really partial to one or the other, they are both american. I love them both.

10. Yah, agree with everyone else. Whether the Shelby can beat this car is pretty irrelavent considering it IS a race car. Even the ones that were produced for "semicompetition" found there way to the track because they were still race cars. Wouldn't doubt if this car could beat it around a road course though. Suspension technology has come so far in the last 30 years.

11. Can somebody post performance stats for the shelby?<!-- Signature -->

12. This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen . . . of course a 427 Shelby would smoke this, the 427 would beat alot of modern cars . . . I mean it's a legend. Corvette's have slow acceleration? Are you a moron? Have you seen the numbers on the ZR-1 or the Z06 . . . I wouldn't say either of those have slow acceleration. How is the Corvette weak too . . . just look at the C5-R, that car is already a racing legend, do you consider it weak? Both of these cars are great, and I would love to have both of them.

13. argghh, i hate having to deal with people such as you that just post rediculous things such as " a ________ can smoke this or that". no one really cares if a car can be smoked. Cars are a lot more than just a top speed and a number of horses. this car has a lot of hereitige behind it and comes from a long line of great vecichles. so please stop posting this as dumb as this one. this car in my opinion excels the Cobra in many different areas. such as design, exterior and interior styles, and engines, please think before you post, thank you

14. That a good post from you, and I respect you for that. Props to giving this car props also. The Cobra is still the better of the two cars, but both of them are very nice, and I like how you gave both some credit.