Re: the hi tech car of the 60's

Discussion in '1968 Mazda Cosmo Sport' started by impreza-guy, Aug 10, 2002.

1. the hi tech car of the 60's

this thing was justr amazing in the 60's
    revolutionary engine
    looks to kill (in other pics)
    and all out rarety
    truly a dream car<!-- Signature -->

2. Yeah dude, I love Rotary engine!

3. Rotary engines only offer the ability to rev high and thats worthless on the street. Before you can get the engine to rev to 10,000 you have to brake for the next stoplight and they sound like utter garbage<!-- Signature -->

4. Thats way to general GTBuggati. I have a clip of a street class (according to the title of the clip) 3rd gen RX-7 doing a 9.62 quarter mile. High revs can be used on the street. Look at an s2000. it has unspectaclar power at low revs, but driven correctly at high rpm, it will really fly off the line.

Besides that, this car is not really a street racer. I bet its a blast on windy roads, and it's definitly a good way to impress the ladies. That is pretty much what it is intended for.

P.S. Rotaries sound very different from a normal engine, but it is entirely a matter of opinion if they sound good or not.

5. Sparetire, Your probably right, I was implying that it's unefficient and uneconomical to drive around all day at 8,000+rpms, Also I don't know what kinda guy you are that you need a car to impress chicks but if thats your way more power to you. I think the 13B twin rotor sounds to buzzy, hornets nest if you will, The 20B 3 rotor and R 26B 4 rotor race engine both sound very impressive, the 26B has a nice howl at 9,000rpm

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GTBugatti</i>
    <b>Rotary engines only offer the ability to rev high and thats worthless on the street. Before you can get the engine to rev to 10,000 you have to brake for the next stoplight and they sound like utter garbage</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Rev to 10,000 rpm? Low cost, mass produced coils and distributers where not available at that time. This RPM is only suitable on a PP, which is really a race only engine. (Have you ever driven a car?)

I reckon a V8 sounds like garbage, but that's my opinion!

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GTBugatti</i>
    <b>Sparetire, Your probably right, I was implying that it's unefficient and uneconomical to drive around all day at 8,000+rpms, Also I don't know what kinda guy you are that you need a car to impress chicks but if thats your way more power to you. I think the 13B twin rotor sounds to buzzy, hornets nest if you will, The 20B 3 rotor and R 26B 4 rotor race engine both sound very impressive, the 26B has a nice howl at 9,000rpm</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    I doubt you've ever heard a 26B that wasn't peripheral ported.
    Which to me sounds like crap at idle and low RPM's (although it idles around 2k or something goofy like that)
    but I love the sound of almost all rotaries :-D
    And I doubt this thing redlinded over 6k.<!-- Signature -->

8. GTBugatti
    "Rotary engines only offer the ability to rev high and thats worthless on the street. Before you can get the engine to rev to 10,000 you have to brake for the next stoplight and they sound like utter garbage "

If you knew alot more about Rotary engines, you wouldn't just say "only" It's also has less moving parts of a conventional cylindrical engine. Not to mention, you don't have to have similar hp figures to compete w/ a vehicle pushing higher hp. That sound you claim sounds like "utterly trash" are the effects after porting the rotor housing. That "utterly trash" sound can be deadly if it's next to you on the street & you're not very careful with what you're saying.