Re: This car is a POS, have proof

Discussion in '2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra' started by PABSTmullet, Aug 9, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>
    <b>Ok let me assure you guys that even with the Eaton Supercharger its still a POS and CANOT beat the Base Corvette Convertible or even the 2002 Firehawk and is as fast as a SLP SS.

I bought the June 2002 Issue of Automobile where they tested a Blue 2003 SVT Cobra, 2003 SRT-10 Viper,2003 Jaguar S-type R and others.

Base Price: 34,000

Engine: Supercharged,intercooled DOHC v-8 4.6 Liters(280 CU I)Iron block and aluminum heads 4 valves per cylinder Bore X Stroke 3.55 x 3.54 in. (90.2 x 90.0 mm) Compression Ratio 8.5:1 Boost Pressure 8.0 psi

Transmission: 6-Speed Manual Final-drive ratio 3.55:1

Steering: Power assisted rack-and-pinion 2.5 lock to lock 41.7 foot turning circle

Suspention: Front:strut type, coil springs Rear: multi link, coil springs

Brakes:Vented front and rear disc, ABS

Wheels: 17 x 9.0-in cast aluminum

Tires: 275/40Zr-17 Goodyear Eagle F-1

Capacities: Fuel 15.7 Gal. Trunk 10.9 cu ft

PERFORMANCE: 0-60 mph 4.9
    0-100 mph 11.1 Secs.
    1/4 mile 13.4 sec.@109 MPH
    30-70 mph passing 14.5 secs
    Peak Acceleration 0.62 G
    70-0 mph 181 Ft.
    Peak Breaking 0.99 G

Speed in Gears: 1st gear 51 mph
    2nd gear 76 mph
    3rd gear 104 mph
    4th gear 135 mph
    5th gear 155 mph
    6th gear 155 mph (Electronically Limited)

Height: 52.5''
    Weight: 3680 lb

Well there you have it, all that is factual stuff i typed from the June 2002 Issue of Automobile Magazine, I just typed the most important stuff, I didnt feel like being here for an hour copying the whole mag. if u wanna see for your self just go to the local mag store and see it for your self. If I had a scanner, i would have scanned the Article from the Mag but since I dont i just transfered it over. My point is, its embarassing that even with a SC it still CANT beat a Naturally Aspired F-Body LOL and slowest base Vette (convertible) will blow this POS away!.

Thx </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->well i'll be damned,this boy is right, ford can't do a dang gone thing cept throw a forced induct onto their sloooowww GT. I like the direction they is trying to go in, but if they can't build a dang natural engine to do it, they should give it up. Dang gone can't even get 400hp out of a blown motor, my shit has almost 700hp natural, the vette has 405 (which i believe the cobra was designed to beat). Ford... bunch of sonny's trying to make a decently fast car (or truck, lightning)but can't do nothin but throw blowers on everything. idiots. <!-- Signature -->

2. It's from MM&FF. It is correct.

3. ummm...

4. #4 5 Liter Mustang, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MantronixFX</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 428cjpower</i>
    <b>If you want proof, go look at the june issue of car and driver. they tested this car in it. they ran the quarter in 12.9@ 111 and 0-60 was in 4.5 seconds. the street start(5-60 mph) took 4.9 and thats with the clutch fully engaged. this car will beat a base vette and a firehawk. if u dont believe me go to caranddriver.com and look for yourself.heres the address...

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/june/200206_roadtest_mustang.xml </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I thought that 12.9@111 mph is talkin about the Cobra R and it says its .1 sec quicker. So doesnt that leave the '03 Cobra at a 13.0 flat?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I have read a couple of magazines testing the 2003 SVT Cobra, All the magazines that I read got the car in the low to mid 12's. Speedvision tested the car and got in the mid 12's and stated that this car is competition for the Corvette and even the BMW M3. How can you call this car a POS with the performance stats it got, the ratings its getting from professionals, and the fact that is has similar performance for cars costing $20,000 More. As soon as a mustang fan purchases the car, the first mod they are going to do to the car is replacing the exhaust with Bassani Xpipes, and get the car dropping 400 RWHP. Thats alot of HP for a POS car like you claim</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I AM A BIG FAN OF THIS CAR, but i seriously dont think just an x-pipe will bring the rwhp to 400. The advertised hp at 390 isn't referring to rwhp, its bhp...totally different<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BrownDoggie</i>
    <b>First of all, I am and allways will be a true Ford fan, and American muscle beats all.

That having been said, as underrated as the stats on this vehicle may be, 400 RWHP from an exhaust switch is unlikely. This car has independant rear suspension, which eats up more horsepower than a solid rear axle.

Where an SLP Camaro (a car which IS seriously underrated, supposedly 345 HP it's been tested at almost 340 at the wheels) may lose less than 10% in the drivetrain, an independantly rear suspended Cobra can lose between 15-20%. Still, that puts it close to the SLP SS. And since it has a serious weight advantage, I'd bet it'd be a close race.

The '02 SLP has been tested at low-13's to high-12's, so it's not unbelievable that the Cobra could perform similarly.

These cars are incredible - a $300 can dramatically improve performance, changing cam aggression and strenthening shift points. Ford should have unleashed this one years ago against the SS/WS-6 forum. Good job, Bill!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I give up, even putting up articles from magazines that have tested the car with stock exhaust and with aftermarket exhaust, websites, etc.... Obviously with dyno stats stating the obvious You guys still disagree...next thing you know, some of these guys would actually argue with Joe Coletti.

6. I understand.. you read it in a magazine, allright.

New Fords are more exhaust restricted than any other new cars, understood. But a 40 RWHP gain from an exhaust job equates to about 50 at the flywheel - and that's a shitload of gain just from exhaust. I've never heard of ANYONE getting an honest 50 horses from exhaust alone.

Now if your article is right, outstanding. Like I said, I am a die-hard Ford fan. But getting 8 or 10 RWHP from an exhaust change is good - getting 40 is unbelievable. With a chip, cam swap AND exhast, maybe...

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BrownDoggie</i>
    <b>The '02 SLP has been tested at low-13's to high-12's, so it's not unbelievable that the Cobra could perform similarly</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I see your a Ford fan BrownDoggie, but I think these Chevy fans have gotten to ya. Since the new Cobra has come out, the SS has gone from a mid to low 13 second car to a high 12 second car with no changes to the car! Remember the comparison between the '02 SLP SS and the '01 Cobra? They both got 13.5 with the Cobra edging out the SS by a .1 to 60mph.

It's like these chevy owners claim. I've heard it a 100 times. My 'completely stock' z28 ran a 12.8. Oh by the way,...it only had slicks, gears, and exhaust.<!-- Signature -->

8. Guys, I totally see BrownDoggies point. I never read the article so I can't comment on it. But damn, 50 flywheel horsepower from exhaust alone is a f*cking shitload. I've never heard of those types of gains before in my life. (did I misread the previous posts?)

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. I'm just saying you have to see where he's coming from. <!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BrownDoggie</i>
    <b>The '02 SLP has been tested at low-13's to high-12's, so it's not unbelievable that the Cobra could perform similarly</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I see your a Ford fan BrownDoggie, but I think these Chevy fans have gotten to ya. Since the new Cobra has come out, the SS has gone from a mid to low 13 second car to a high 12 second car with no changes to the car! Remember the comparison between the '02 SLP SS and the '01 Cobra? They both got 13.5 with the Cobra edging out the SS by a .1 to 60mph.

It's like these chevy owners claim. I've heard it a 100 times. My 'completely stock' z28 ran a 12.8. Oh by the way,...it only had slicks, gears, and exhaust.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->There has been changes. For example, the 2001 and 2002 SS's got the same intake manifold that goes in the Z06 LS6 engine.<!-- Signature -->

10. Hoseman, I AM a Ford man, but I believe you misunderstand me.

All SS Camaros have some parts produced by SLP (Street Legal Performance), but the true SLP SS is a real work of art. It's rated at 345 horses, but has been tested at almost 340 at the wheels. It's got a solid driveline, which puts it at the 375-ish HP rating.

The SLP/Firehawk has routinely been tested at low-13's to high 12's. Granted, they'll run you more than a Cobra will by a couple grand, but they are by no means regular SSs/WS-6s.

11. This car is already running mid 12s in the quarter, so I already don't belive one thing that you said. This car is a monster, not a piece of shit.

12. Kane, understand that American HP is pissed off at the world. He will not give rebuttle in a logical fashion. I agree with you. This nwe Cobra is not as nive as previous models.<!-- Signature -->

13. Yeah but it's just strange how other magazines got it to run almost mid twelves and Automobile ran 13.4. Sounds like the convertible's performance, but in the magazine it's a coupe. Kinda weird. We'll just have to wait until we see it on the road, and on the track.<!-- Signature -->

14. #14 428cjpower, Aug 9, 2002
    If you want proof, go look at the june issue of car and driver. they tested this car in it. they ran the quarter in 12.9@ 111 and 0-60 was in 4.5 seconds. the street start(5-60 mph) took 4.9 and thats with the clutch fully engaged. this car will beat a base vette and a firehawk. if u dont believe me go to caranddriver.com and look for yourself.heres the address...

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/june/200206_roadtest_mustang.xml

15. AmericanHP is right. It already is a mid-12 second car. Some dumb@ss drivers won't change that. By the way, could you post the times for the viper, corvette whatever else was in the comparo.

16. Car and Driver got 12.9, MM&FF got 12.65, Automobile got 13.4. This is a pretty large variance, but it's too be expected. There are so many things that can affect the final outcome. Was it a hot/cool day? How good is the driver? Did they only take ONE single run and that the number, or did they make 3-4 runs to make sure they learned the car?
    The fact that other people have tested the prototypes and dipped into the 12s tells you that the car IS infact, capable of 12s.

Fortunately (for me) I love all American car makers. That way I can appreciate more cars, and I don't get my feelings hurt when Ford gets one over on the Chevy F-body.

The 2003 Cobra is a beautiful car, especially for the price. Anyone who denies this fact is either a sushi-burner, or a Chevy fan wearing blinders.
    <!-- Signature -->

17. The race on the street will be the final test. Fu*k the magazines<!-- Signature -->

18. Hardly a POS. I don't know of any POS's that acheive 12's, let alone a 13.4 in the 1/4. Don't forget that altitude, humidity and a bad driver will effect the outcome too. Kane does that issue have the Temperature, Humidity, and Elevation info on that test? Just curious...<!-- Signature -->

19. #19 Mantronix, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 428cjpower</i>
    <b>If you want proof, go look at the june issue of car and driver. they tested this car in it. they ran the quarter in 12.9@ 111 and 0-60 was in 4.5 seconds. the street start(5-60 mph) took 4.9 and thats with the clutch fully engaged. this car will beat a base vette and a firehawk. if u dont believe me go to caranddriver.com and look for yourself.heres the address...

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/june/200206_roadtest_mustang.xml </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I thought that 12.9@111 mph is talkin about the Cobra R and it says its .1 sec quicker. So doesnt that leave the '03 Cobra at a 13.0 flat?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I have read a couple of magazines testing the 2003 SVT Cobra, All the magazines that I read got the car in the low to mid 12's. Speedvision tested the car and got in the mid 12's and stated that this car is competition for the Corvette and even the BMW M3. How can you call this car a POS with the performance stats it got, the ratings its getting from professionals, and the fact that is has similar performance for cars costing $20,000 More. As soon as a mustang fan purchases the car, the first mod they are going to do to the car is replacing the exhaust with Bassani Xpipes, and get the car dropping 400 RWHP. Thats alot of HP for a POS car like you claim

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SSfearSS</i>
    <b>Kane, understand that American HP is pissed off at the world. He will not give rebuttle in a logical fashion. I agree with you. This nwe Cobra is not as nive as previous models.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I didn't give any evidince since its been posted around 100 freakin times and you still can't belive it. It has ran mid 12's. Nuff said. When we give you sites to go to ssfearnothingss you don't even belive the sites so why bother , your just to dumb to realize that this is a fast car.

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from PABSTmullet</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>
    <b>Ok let me assure you guys that even with the Eaton Supercharger its still a POS and CANOT beat the Base Corvette Convertible or even the 2002 Firehawk and is as fast as a SLP SS.

I bought the June 2002 Issue of Automobile where they tested a Blue 2003 SVT Cobra, 2003 SRT-10 Viper,2003 Jaguar S-type R and others.

Base Price: 34,000

Engine: Supercharged,intercooled DOHC v-8 4.6 Liters(280 CU I)Iron block and aluminum heads 4 valves per cylinder Bore X Stroke 3.55 x 3.54 in. (90.2 x 90.0 mm) Compression Ratio 8.5:1 Boost Pressure 8.0 psi

Transmission: 6-Speed Manual Final-drive ratio 3.55:1

Steering: Power assisted rack-and-pinion 2.5 lock to lock 41.7 foot turning circle

Suspention: Front:strut type, coil springs Rear: multi link, coil springs

Brakes:Vented front and rear disc, ABS

Wheels: 17 x 9.0-in cast aluminum

Tires: 275/40Zr-17 Goodyear Eagle F-1

Capacities: Fuel 15.7 Gal. Trunk 10.9 cu ft

PERFORMANCE: 0-60 mph 4.9
    0-100 mph 11.1 Secs.
    1/4 mile 13.4 sec.@109 MPH
    30-70 mph passing 14.5 secs
    Peak Acceleration 0.62 G
    70-0 mph 181 Ft.
    Peak Breaking 0.99 G

Speed in Gears: 1st gear 51 mph
    2nd gear 76 mph
    3rd gear 104 mph
    4th gear 135 mph
    5th gear 155 mph
    6th gear 155 mph (Electronically Limited)

Height: 52.5''
    Weight: 3680 lb

Well there you have it, all that is factual stuff i typed from the June 2002 Issue of Automobile Magazine, I just typed the most important stuff, I didnt feel like being here for an hour copying the whole mag. if u wanna see for your self just go to the local mag store and see it for your self. If I had a scanner, i would have scanned the Article from the Mag but since I dont i just transfered it over. My point is, its embarassing that even with a SC it still CANT beat a Naturally Aspired F-Body LOL and slowest base Vette (convertible) will blow this POS away!.

Thx </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->well i'll be damned,this boy is right, ford can't do a dang gone thing cept throw a forced induct onto their sloooowww GT. I like the direction they is trying to go in, but if they can't build a dang natural engine to do it, they should give it up. Dang gone can't even get 400hp out of a blown motor, my shit has almost 700hp natural, the vette has 405 (which i believe the cobra was designed to beat). Ford... bunch of sonny's trying to make a decently fast car (or truck, lightning)but can't do nothin but throw blowers on everything. idiots. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Another one bites the dust. First off..the 2002 z06 corvette has 400HP, The z06 corvette that the cobra R competed against was the same year vette as the cobra R. Both the "2000" cobra R and z06 corvette have 385HP NA. Cobra R has a 5.4 liter engine, and the Vette has a 5.7 Liter engine. Second fact, the 2003 svt cobra is capable of 400RWHP if you replace the exhaust with Bassani Xpipes. The stock exhaust is extremely limited.

22. #22 428cjpower, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>

the cobra r ran 13.0 this car ran 12.9 according to car and driver. "The '03's 12.9-second quarter mile at 111 mph is actually 0.1 second quicker then the Cobra R"

23. Yea, i've heard multiple times about this automobile mag article. They have awful drivers, and their stats arent always 100% acurate. You could take this magazines word for it if you like, but keep in mind that there have thus far been about 3 other magazines running it between 12.6 and 12.9, not to mention Motor Trends estimate that if they had a lighter driver, and more optimum conditions (they ran it into head wind they said), that they wouldnt be surprised if it went 12.5.

24. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>
    <b>Ok, i used my old webcam to try to capture parts of the article i was talkin about since i dont have a scanner, maybe this can help, if u guys dont believe me about the stats, just look at the June 2002 issue of "Autombile"........</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

sounds like they got the 2001 stats mixed up for the 2003 stats.

25. just to let everybody know i'm a ford fan.
    but some people are getting facts all wrong.
    the 390 hp on this car is at the flywheel not
    the rear wheels.you will not receive 400 rwhp
    by replacing the exhaust.a 03 cobra could
    have between 340 and 360 hp at the rear wheel.
    with an exhaust you might reach between 350 and