Re: This car should't be on the fastest car list!

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by country, Aug 9, 2002.

1. This car should't be on the fastest car list!

This car was never sold to the public so in effect its just some guys race car. Why not put a 2002 Team Mopar drag car on the list they do 300 plus MPH maybe they will build them for $400,000 two(sic).<!-- Signature -->

2. Then why not include the Colani Ferrari. It's street legal and only 1 of them was produced. But then Supercars would have to take this off the #1 spot on the top speed list since the Colani Ferrari is capable of 436kmh. <!-- Signature -->

3. And if we call place any old non-street legal car here you might as well put the Britsh SST, it did go faster than the speed on sound. Sigh.....<!-- Signature -->

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from gsolinas</i>
    <b>Then why not include the Colani Ferrari. It's street legal and only 1 of them was produced. But then Supercars would have to take this off the #1 spot on the top speed list since the Colani Ferrari is capable of 436kmh. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

but the Colani is only "calculated", I can't wait until someone actually tests it, presumably at Nardo.

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MO MOPAR</i>
    <b>This car was never sold to the public so in effect its just some guys race car. Why not put a 2002 Team Mopar drag car on the list they do 300 plus MPH maybe they will build them for $400,000 two(sic).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

There's a huge difference between this car and what you're suggesting. Team Mopar's drag car was designed for nothing else but quarter mile runs. Those engines have to be rebuilt after every run, from what I've heard. Top fuelers consume four gallons for every 1/4 mile (or maybe that was four gallons for every mile). Either way, that's way beyond legal limits. Would you ever take a top fueler on the street? Would you ever try turning a top fueler at anything over 50? Could you drive a top fueler across the US? If cars like that were ever added, this site would go downhill faster than you can imagine. There are sites for drivable cars like this, and sites for strictly race cars. Don't ask me why there are F1 cars here, though.<!-- Signature -->

6. #7 imnotmaranelloboy, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    You say that the Sledgehammer shouldn't be on the list. Well, it's been proven that it can go that fast. I easily found the information on the Sledgehammer that I wanted, now let's see about the other 49 cars that claim a place on the top speed list.

Chevy Callaway Sledgehammer: http://www.callawaycars.com/Corvette/Sledgehammer/sledgehammer_article.htm
    Bugatti 16/4 Veyron: Unable to find reliable evidence on top speed.
    Bugatti 16/4 Veyron Concept: Disqualified (concept)
    Dauer 962 LM: Questionable; http://formen.ign.com/news/20833.html
    Vector WX3 Concept: Disqualified (concept)
    Lotec Sirius Concept: Disqualified (concept)
    Koenigsegg CC: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.
    Koenigsegg CC 8S: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.
    McLaren F1: Covered in Driving Amition by Doug Nye, Ron Dennis, Gordon Murray
    TVR Cerbera Speed 12: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.
    Lamborghini Diablo Coalt: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.
    Jiminez Novia Concept: Disqualified (concept)
    MB W25 Avus Streamline: http://www.pistonheads.com/fastcars/mercedes/goodwood2001.htm
    Ferrari F-50 GT: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.
    Dodge Hennessey Viper Venom 800TT: Can't find the link now, but I've seen footage.
    Ford GT90 Concept: Disqualified (concept)
    Koenig C62: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.
    Lotec C1000: Unable to find reliable evidense of top speed.

I don't really feel like finishing the list. The cars further down are more proven, but they'll still take a while to track down. If you know of any links to prove (or convince me of) the top speed of any of these cars, please E-mail me.
    <!-- Signature -->

7. SOO RIGHT<!-- Signature -->

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from maranelloboy</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MO MOPAR</i>
    <b>This car was never sold to the public so in effect its just some guys race car. Why not put a 2002 Team Mopar drag car on the list they do 300 plus MPH maybe they will build them for $400,000 two(sic).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

There's a huge difference between this car and what you're suggesting. Team Mopar's drag car was designed for nothing else but quarter mile runs. Those engines have to be rebuilt after every run, from what I've heard. Top fuelers consume four gallons for every 1/4 mile (or maybe that was four gallons for every mile). Either way, that's way beyond legal limits. Would you ever take a top fueler on the street? Would you ever try turning a top fueler at anything over 50? Could you drive a top fueler across the US? If cars like that were ever added, this site would go downhill faster than you can imagine. There are sites for drivable cars like this, and sites for strictly race cars. Don't ask me why there are F1 cars here, though.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I don't remember what the exact number is, but the fuel pumps in top fuel dragsters need to be able to pump over 60 gpm (gallons per minute), compared to something like [maximum] 30 gph (gallons per hour) in a normal car.<!-- Signature -->

9. Yeah, that sounds about right. But of course when you're forcing the engine to consume that much fuel, it's going to be fast. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

10. lets see, 254 m.p.h... is that fast? OF COARSE it should be on the fastest car list, are you nucking futs?

11. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MO MOPAR</i>

because this was stock and not a nos blowing rocket

12. #13 mrSR20, Aug 9, 2002
    this is not the fastest car in the world...
    JUN AUTO has the world land speed record. Set by a 300zx at 1000ps at 418km/h. the stats are there and are legit...check the www.junauto.com site for yourself to see. that is the fastest verified top speed in the world.

13. #14 imnotmaranelloboy, Aug 9, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mrSR20</i>
    <b>this is not the fastest car in the world...
    JUN AUTO has the world land speed record. Set by a 300zx at 1000ps at 418km/h. the stats are there and are legit...check the www.junauto.com site for yourself to see. that is the fastest verified top speed in the world.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So once that car is added to the database, the Sledgehammer will step down one. No one's saying that the Sledgehammer is the world's fastest car. It is the world's fastest streetlegal car, though.<!-- Signature -->

14. just plain stupidity floating around here.

Lingenfelter made a car that approached 300 MPH. They tested it on salt flats, but was not street legal. 1500 horsepower

Hell, 880 horsepower and they were being consevative on the boost. If you read and knew a god damn thing it made well over 1000 horsepower, but they turned the boost down because 1, they didnt need the power to beat the record, and 2 it would be easier on the engine for extened runs.

If there is another car that is faster i only have one thing to say. ABOUT TIME YOU BEAT 80'S RECORD!!!!!!!!!! PATHETIC IF YOu ASK ME

Callaway or lingenfelter is probably just sitting back waiting for this record to be broken. Once it is (doubtful) there will be a nice turbo LT5 waiting to be unleashed.

Some of you people make me sick. EWWWWW a chevy # one. My wet dream fantasy of supercars being #1 is not in tact!! BACK TO DREAMING!

15. eh, this is out of nowhere but, top fuelers pay $4500 dollars per every run down the track they do. and i think they go from 0-100 in .8 seconds. pretty damn good acceleration.

16. ya'll may call me stupid for posting this but really, i could care less. the JUN whatever didn't set the fastest land speed record ever. I read on the back of a magazine that some jet car on the salt flats reached 765mph. i'll try to find proof of this. until then, have a nice day.

17. #18 fordpintoskickass, Aug 9, 2002
  18. Road & Track Jan. 2000 (top 100 cars of the last 100 years) Car #95 on their list: "On October 15, 1997, across the desert of Black Rock, Nevada, Andy Green piloted Richard Noble's Thrust SSC to an official speed of 763.035 mph. True, the Thrust delivered its power from the exhaust of two Rolls-Royce jet engines, not through its wheels. Nevertheless, breaking the sound barrier on land took vast technology, not to say considerable bravery on Andy Green's part."

Not sure what the real story is, but that's what Road & Track got. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

19. c6 is coming dont worry - not as powerful on the horses but dont take it from me heres something from a engineer i found on motortrend: "Chief Engineer Dave Hill told us that he wasn't interested in a horsepower race with Viper. He said that the Vette team is more interested in "balanced performance" for its customers."

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b>c6 is coming dont worry - not as powerful on the horses but dont take it from me heres something from a engineer i found on motortrend: "Chief Engineer Dave Hill told us that he wasn't interested in a horsepower race with Viper. He said that the Vette team is more interested in "balanced performance" for its customers."

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Why won't GM go up against the 'almighty' Viper? When it comes to performance, all the Dodge guys can say they have something faster than us. GM's engineering is up in the top precentile of the world, just look at what Cadillac is doing with not only the LMP, but the production cars too. I bet GM could at least make a Corvette package that outdoes the Viper for only $57K. That would sell like hotcakes, seeing as how us trueblue Vette fans have longed for a Vette that will take down the engine on wheels called Viper. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

21. Fastest production car: 1997 McLaren F1-240 mph
    Fastest Street-Legal car: 1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette 254.7mph (for the sake of simplicity i'll leave it at that)
    Fastest Stock-Bodied car: 1989 Lingenfelter Firebird Twin-Turbo-298-314 mph
    Fastest Piston-Engined Car: "Spirit of '76"-420+ mph
    Fastest Wheel Driven Car: "The Turbinator"-461 mph
    Fastest Car of any type: "Thrust SCC"-766 mph, aka, Mach 1, the speed of sound. <!-- Signature -->

22. THANKS FOR THOSE PRECIOUS INFO L337!<!-- Signature -->

23. fine if u wanna play any other 1 production car lets put the every single yahoos back yard project that they make a motoer have 600+hp and a 500hp nos boost so dont play that crap

24. otherwise take a prostock drag race engine and ya will see how it is!<!-- Signature -->