Re: US engine chosen?

Discussion in '2000 Lotus Elise 111S' started by LimeGreenElise, Aug 10, 2002.

1. whats the engine thats currently in it?

2. US engine chosen?

"Autocar has announced that the US Elise engine has been chosen, from 5 competitors. The engine is to be the Toyota 1.8 VVTL 189bhp engine as from the new Corolla."

hmmmmmmmmmmm............I'm worried.........not about the engine because straight line performance in the Elise would be very good.......but when has the Elise been about straight line speed.
    I'm more worried about the other aspects.....ie:weight from all the safety features........I feel this may detract from what the Elise stands for and may even "decrease" the sensations that can be felt in the UK spec Elise.

Hopefully Lotus will prove me wrong yet again but I'm still VERY VERY worried!!!

(Also posted in Elise 72 forum so don't notify me!!)<!-- Signature -->

3. Yeah saw that mate. But you notice that Lotus hasn’t said anything. I don't doubt that this is the engine is going to be the engine used.<!-- Signature -->

4. Dammit, I dont want a jap engine in an UK car. It destroys everythng about its heritage.<!-- Signature -->

5. The Elise's current engine is the "ancient" Rover K-series that dates back to the '70s.

Btw, is the 189bhp VVTi 1.8 normally aspirated or turbocharged?<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TVRTuscanS</i>
    <b>The Elise's current engine is the "ancient" Rover K-series that dates back to the '70s.

Btw, is the 189bhp VVTi 1.8 normally aspirated or turbocharged?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Its normally aspirated - goes against Lotus' philosophy for the Elise to turbo/ super charge it at the factory, although I expect numerous after-market suppliers will up the ante with a few bolt ons.

<!-- Signature -->

7. i bet they chose the carolla engine because its not only reliable lyk shiet, but its probobaly pretty light, which is an impotrant factor in this car. also i heard 195 hp from some mag. site. but o wellz. its gonna be fast. who cares what engine is in it? as long as its fast and handles great. <!-- Signature -->

8. No Engine has officially been confirmed although the story in Autocar will I believe turn out to be true

Quote from Piston Heads site.

"The final engine choice probably won't be revealed until closer to the launch date but changes are afoot in the UK market currently which will slowly wind up the power.

Talk in the Lotus community is that the current Elise S2 is going to be renamed the Elise S and that new models will be launched with 160bhp. It would of course make sense for Lotus to find one engine to suit all markets rather than have an expensive reengineering project for US cars. Speculation will continue."

Just to clear up a couple of points. The k-series doesn't date back to the 70's. It came to market in the early 90's

Lotus has used Japanese parts before. The taillights on the pre 2002 esprit were from the Toyota Supra and the engine in the 90's elan was an Isuzu unit.
    <!-- Signature -->

9. lotus is known more for their chassis' than for their engines by far. they helped with the corvette C5 (maybe C4, i cant remember) chassis. so i dont see anything wrong with putting a japanese engine in it. it doesnt ruin its heritage. the heritage is in the body. a 2002 integra type R K20C5 engine would make this one of the worlds most venerable sports cars on road and the track. nothing about that ruins its heritage.<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from phanofmuzik2</i>
    <b>i bet they chose the carolla engine because its not only reliable lyk shiet, but its probobaly pretty light, which is an impotrant factor in this car. also i heard 195 hp from some mag. site. but o wellz. its gonna be fast. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Preach it, brutha! haha.