Re: what a pitty the M3 GTR is not still in this class.

Discussion in '2002 Morgan Aero 8 GT' started by vwdrivervw, Aug 10, 2002.

1. what a pitty the M3 GTR is not still in this class.

Sigh. Oh well I can't argue with Bimmer Power, but come on this is ugly.<!-- Signature -->

2. Just so you know, BMW isn't allowed to race the M3 GTR anymore until it makes at least 500 street-legal copies. In case you were wondering, that means an M3 with a V-8.<!-- Signature -->

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vizkiz</i>
    <b>Just so you know, BMW isn't allowed to race the M3 GTR anymore until it makes at least 500 street-legal copies. In case you were wondering, that means an M3 with a V-8.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

a m3 with a v8....... isnt that what this is???

4. the car is crappy shit..<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vwdrivervw</i>
    <b>Sigh. Oh well I can't argue with Bimmer Power, but come on this is ugly.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I think this it looks cool.<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from European Cars Kick</i>
    <b>looks like a penis, goes like a rocket, every man's dream . . . .</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Shut the $%^k up. I am getting tired you poeple calling these cars penis cars. :(<!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vizkiz</i>
    <b>Just so you know, BMW isn't allowed to race the M3 GTR anymore until it makes at least 500 street-legal copies. In case you were wondering, that means an M3 with a V-8.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

a m3 with a v8....... isnt that what this is???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

First off, no, this isn't an M3 with a V-8. This is a Morgan Aero 8 with a specially prepared BMW V-8. I meant, that there will be a factory M3 with a V-8.<!-- Signature -->

8. the stock m3 i beliv has a v6, the gtr has a v8, but i think tha bmw does want to put a v8 in the m3, boosting it from 333 bhp to a possible 444 lik gtr, it is a hsame that this car isnt in the la mans races tho, it would kick ass, as for this it loks like a racing version of an old rolls royce, lol, o well
    <!-- Signature -->

9. BMW did make about a handful of these i think, its an M3 with a 4 liter v8 making 400bhp, looks like it had a ac shnitzer body kit. the reason bmw is not in ALMS this year is not because of production, but because Porsche complained that BmW had too many advantages over the flat six powered 996s, then ALMS officials changed the rules to restrict air capacity to affect BMW directly. then of course BMW refused to do that so they are presently designing an engine to, either go around that restriction (I.E. an inline six) or modify the v8 intake for effeciancy w/ the restrictors<!-- Signature -->

10. this car is better than any BMW simply because it isnt but ugly. The street version looks better, of course, but this beats bimmer any day.<!-- Signature -->

11. this message goes to JTR. The reason that the A.C.O. changed the rules in regard to the M3 GTR is that they felt the car wasn't within the spirit of the class. The GT class is supposed to be for production sportscars with a relatively minimal amount of modication. The key word there is "production". The rules now state that there must be at least 1000 street versions of the an engine built before that motor can be raced. That's really not that many for a company like BMW. I think the number of cars that had to built was 500, but i'm not sure. What happened was BMW did not build but a handful of street M3 GTRs so the ACO slapped them with a bunch of restrictions until they got the numbers up to meet the rules. The restrictions were a redcution in intake size ( i believe they shrunk it by 8mm) and an increase in minimum weight. As soon as BMW builds the street cars and engines, the GTR will be legal to race. All that happened was they tried to go around the rules and got caught; it was worth the risk, though, since their V6 engined M3 racer wasn't fast enough to keep up with the Porsches and with the new car they won the championship. Yes, the Porsche teams did complain, but they had every right to since their competition was winning with an essentially illegal car. I would like to see the BMW back in the ALMS, but i want it to be legit so that it's a clean fight.

12. Calm down buddy, Porsche was just making sure the Bimmer was playing by the rules. Just like in every other sport there has to be some equal standards. You wouldn't let a 225 lb. man wrestle in the 150 lb. class you would you? I think not. So all Porsche did was get the sanctioning body to enforce the applicable rules and instate new rules to ensure fairness in competition.

13. Haha some of you people need to learn the BMW M is BMW's flagship engine and is an INLINE 6. The M3 GTR does however have a V8. Since BMW has not produced enough street versions the GTR will be have to have a smaller air restrictor and a weight restriction as a penalty. BMW doesn't think they can complete all 500 M3 GTR's for the next season, and if they don't they will pull the M3 GTR from ALMS because the restrictions would make the car so pathetic it wouldn't be worth competing.<!-- Signature -->

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from FunkyMcGroovin</i>
    <b>Haha some of you people need to learn the BMW M is BMW's flagship engine and is an INLINE 6. The M3 GTR does however have a V8. Since BMW has not produced enough street versions the GTR will be have to have a smaller air restrictor and a weight restriction as a penalty. BMW doesn't think they can complete all 500 M3 GTR's for the next season, and if they don't they will pull the M3 GTR from ALMS because the restrictions would make the car so pathetic it wouldn't be worth competing.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Thanx for putting the inline-6 question right... just can't stand people talking about v6 in bimmers... <!-- Signature -->

15. You can't really say that the "BMW M" is Bimmer's flagship engine because there are differen "M" badged engines. The M5 doesn't use the same motor as the M3. All they really did was throw the M5's motor in the M3 and make some chassis modifications and voila! M3 GTR. The car is laiden with multiple restrictions this year (much like the Saleen S7R), so the boys in Stuttgart have decided to pull out of competition until '03 (they expect to have built the road cars by then) instead of get stomped by Porsche.

16. Wrong , very wrong...

It's not because of restrictions that the M3 GTR can't compete , it's because it's not allowed to compete at LM , because it doesn't match the ACO rules.

The engine in GT must come from the street car , there's no M3 with an M5 engine produced by BMW.

This is the reason why the M3 GTR can't compete at LM.