Re: What a shame!

Discussion in '2001 Lotec Sirius' started by McLaren_Man, Aug 10, 2002.

1. its just ridiculas.<!-- Signature -->

2. What a shame!

With all that horse power and they've wasted it, if all that HP was put o use it would be going 270MPH, I think the they should re-design the way the power is put to the wheels.<!-- Signature -->

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from McLaren_Man</i>
    <b>With all that horse power and they've wasted it, if all that HP was put o use it would be going 270MPH, I think the they should re-design the way the power is put to the wheels.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i second that<!-- Signature -->

4. Maybe if they added a sixth gear.

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from eggy87</i>
    <b>Maybe if they added a sixth gear.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->possibly seven. But you have to admit this car is still a beast.<!-- Signature -->

6. I think there is enough power at the wheels already. There is a problem of traction and losses through gearbox are major issues. But to get a car to accelerate fast there needs to be a wide power band over a large proportion of the rev range and not just a max peak. this is why f1 cars are so fast with about 800hp over a wide rev range. This also helps with traction as the acceleration is smoother. Also if you find the fastest car from 0-200 it is a Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR it also uses this engine which shows the engines are a perfect buliding block for a performance car.

So even though this is quite an impressive vehicle with a great engine (go Mercedes), Lotec has designed the engine to peak rather than building a on track performer. impressive on a dyno but not a race winner when against other performance cars.

7. If it all was put to the wheels it would be lovely.. I would have to buy one... 0-60 would be in 3.<!-- Signature -->

8. The problem is Aero-dynamics.

The faster you go the more Hp you need to go 1mph faster.

Taking into account a nominal value for frontal force on the car from drag, you need almost 2 times the horsepower to get from 150 to 200 mph. It needs about 350 hp to go 200, thats about 670hp to go 250mph. These numbers are only to over come drag, not taking into account tire friction on the road and drivetrain friction.

Unfortunately, those numbers were estimates for an early 90's Vette.

Of course all this, means nothing unless you can do the math.

---------------------

9. Thats very true, the drag force increases parrabolically as the speed increases.

10. Excellent reviews from "M" and "radius". although drag is a major factor to performance you should concider that top-end speed depends on power, and acceleration more so on torque. the excessive horsepower to make up for drag would only be nominal in pretty much any case (except a freightliner). i think performance does not suffice the numbers as a lack of torque. this is still a wonderful car nonetheless.<!-- Signature -->

11. Definitly...i mean...1334 hp? Where the hell does it all go? It could stand to drop a few hundred pounds, and figure out where all the power is lost to, and this machine could easily have the best top speed. Some work, and it could have the best accel. too. It is definitely a sad thing to see such performance lost.<!-- Signature -->

12. Theres new technology which eliminates(nearly) drag so...<!-- Signature -->

13. IT WILL ALWAYS BE AN AWESOME CAR WITH THAT MUCH HOESE POWER IT COULD JUST ABOUT WASTE ANY CAR IF NOT ALREADY ABLE TO<!-- Signature -->

14. AND HOW DO U GET THOSE PICS IN UR NAME????<!-- Signature -->

15. with that amount of hp i dont even think a 6 peed will be enugh a good 7 speed sequential like the ones they use on the bugatti 18/4 veyron would do nicely this car looks highly aero dynamic and i ont think it wuld be as much of a problem<!-- Signature -->

16. Imagine how much horsepower that car would be pushing if they were to increase the boost levels to the 2 or 3 bar? I am sure they could get over 2000hp at 45psi.<!-- Signature -->

17. "Theres new technology which eliminates(nearly) drag so..."

Err...not really. As long as you deal with obvious problem areas of the car (side view mirrors, wheel wells, undercarriage) then your drag is mostly dependent on the vehicle area and rear profile. The biggest source of drag on a car shaped like this is usually the pocket of air that gets trapped under the rear bumper. Making the rear end really long and gradually sloping helps...but realistically there's only so much you can do. The spoiler will be a huge source of drag (assuming it's making downforce, which, at 250 mph I would hope so!)...but...there exists no magical technology to nearly eliminate drag, as long as your car has any surface area it can't be done. Active aerodynamics (like the McLaren fan assist) is only good for dealing with aerodynamic problems (motionless air trapped under the car) but aside from fixing this problem it cannot do anything to make a car 'more aerodynamic'.

This is hard to explain...lets say u had a missile shaped car w/ no exterior features that had no space between the ground and the bottom of the car...had no wheelwells, doorhandles, mirrors, windshield wipers, radiator holes ect...as long as the shape was right, there is nothing you can _ADD_ to the car to make it more aerodynamic (technology or otherwise).

Forgive this little rant...I'm bored at work.

18. Everybody is talking about horsepower loss. You have to take into account that the enginers might have designed the aerodynamic downforce to stop the car at this speed. Yeah the callaway goes 254 mph, but how steady is it? <!-- Signature -->

19. The faster a car goes te more stable it is it just gets harder to keep in a straight line.<!-- Signature -->

20. True....it has more then double horse power then mc laren *627 hp* and it does only 27 kmh ( 17 mph) more then mclaren....and thats a shame...reaLLy.....but i wouldnt care:=) it looks mean_! and its a MONSTER_!!

21. the 0-60 is kinda slow...it has a ton more hp than the 800tt...and this thing only goes 0-60 in 3.7 and the 800tt can do it in 2.4...and that was in teh rain...man this car is sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. I'll take the Bugatti over anything thank you

23. damn nice hp and torque but ummmm 5-speed come on guys needs a good 7 sequenc. just like they said, aerodynamics look like it would be no problem in this car look at the 88' vette with 255, come on this thing is way more aerodynamic than that 88 vette, but hey oh well right

ummm as for traction a good 375 super street tires would do great and a nice limited slip and traction control and torque controler could get this in the 3 flat range and well drag, can be fixed by a very very very expensive process known to some as the "shark skin" reduces drag to almost none and is being experimented on 100mpg cars drag is close to .020 or less, which is crazy becuz drag right now on the best cars is about .03 .04, so yea

"shark skin" is said to be so expensive it equals in money to making the whole car out of titanium, currently are looking for a more efficient way to do the skin of the car for way way way less,

24. it may no go too fast but all that power goes to torque an pullin power. hell, whos gonna be goin more than 290 mph anyways?

accelerations good enough, thats all what really matters.

25. or maybe its just geared for acceleration, the 0-60 time might not be too good because of the wheelspin, but i bet once its up and running, it flies,<!-- Signature -->