Re: What do you think? Ferrari F50 VS Viper!

Discussion in '1995 Ferrari F50' started by Lee Iacocca, Aug 9, 2002.

1. is this a trick question? is that like asking "Michael Schumacher vs My mate at work"

2. The Viper cannot effectively compare to a Ferrari F-50. Just know that.

3. PLEASE STOP PUTTING POST IN HERE, THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION!!

4. hey lido, usually when you compare cars, you should also look at other aspects, like handling and refinement. The post is a comparison between the road cars anyway, not the race-prep cars. (If they wanted to compare to a viper gtr, they would say "gtr" right?)

Besides, when you look at both cars in a general perspective, the ferrari seems to be more all-round. The interior of the ferrari is special with carbon fiber decorations while the viper's look rough and the fit and finish is poor quality, even poorer than ferrari.

Never compare a roadcar like f50 to a racecar like viper gtr

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lido Iacocca</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReeK</i>
    <b>the vipers that are doing well in the FIA GT championship are race cars, we are comparing road cars.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And the Ferraris 550 Maranellos that ARE LOSING there are WHAT ???

Does the F50 look like a road car to you ???

Viper is a 8000cc.... nothing can beat this car since it's tunned to race...even a Ferrari tunned can't reach this...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

um the 550 is NOT an F50 (the basis of this thread)

it doesn't matter whether the F50 looks like a road car, it just is.

and if you want to compare race engines (I don't know why, we are talking about road cars) but nevertheless you seem hell-bent on mentioning it, I'll say 4 words; FERRARI FORMULA ONE ENGINES.

nothing can beat a viper? are you sure? you seem pretty knowledgable on race series', have you heard of Group C?

6. excellent.

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lido Iacocca</i>
    <b>F50 ? It NEVER won a race !!!!

And Vipers are 8000cc !!! Come on ! Get REAL !!

Vipers are winning in ALL GT championships in THE WORLD, including Le Mans GT...

How many races F50 WON ???

F50 is just for expositions... like a concept...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Wow I can't believe how many retards are in these kind of forums, I mean ya it's your opinion but man get your facts straight. First off 8000cc engine is not something to be proud of, the Viper engines and all the other American engines are all made off graphite/metal combo and this work of art Ferrari is made of fortified steel. So when comparing the 2 you will see that the Viper engine would be a lot weaker if it was the same size as the Ferraris. That's why all American car companies put HUGE engines it their cars. Because of Ferraris small but very strong engine is able to last longer and have better performence then Viper would if the engines were the same size.And for the sake of answering the forum question, I would go with the Ferrari.

8. We talking about STREET car, Maranello's tuning and Viper's tuning (and budget..) aren't the same. Maranello Prodrive isn't an official car!! Only 360 N-Gt is official (so and so...). Put on track F50, Maranello, 360 and Viper...
    Lancia Delta Integrale was 6 times W.C.: is Delta better than Viper?

Mafalda

9. OK, this is a little unfair. The F50 is many times more expensive than the Viper and has vastly superior performance all-round. The F50 also has a screaming Italian V12, gorgeous Pininfarina styling, and is the most exclusive production Ferrari of modern times. It's a no-brainer for me.<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lido Iacocca</i>
    <b>Ok, I think we all agree, now.

Viper is made to race

F50 is made to expositions... that's exactly what I think..

I agree with you.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

F50 only for exposition? Viper a real sport car?
    F50 has:
    Composite chassis 3550 Kg/g
    active push-rod suspension
    Rear air-extractor (you know Venturi and Bernoulli…)
    4000 hours into the wind-gallery
    Cz = -0.37
    down force = 310Kg @ 300 Kmh (35% front, 65% rear)
    Tyres Goodyear F1 Fiorano built expressly for F50

Tell me: Viper has only ONE of these things?
    No, but has steel chassis and 8000cc engine with only 455 Hp (383 for Europe version!!!!!!) and single camshaft: is similar TRUCK engine…

Viper has not optional or gadgets, but is very heavy: 1673 Kg with fuel and driver, a luxury BMW M3 is 1670 Kg, like the 996 turbo (luxury too…)!!! 360Modena…. 1500 Kg!! Is this a real sport car?
    Circuit of Vairano
    Viper GTS “Europe” 383 Hp 1673 Kg: 1’23”481
    BMW M3 343 Hp 1670 Kg: 1’23”186
    360 Modena 400 Hp 1500 Kg: 1’21”490 (and track condition wasn’t no good, said Quattroruote, Vairano’s owner…)
    Porsche 996 Turbo 420 Hp 1670 Kg: 1’20'803 (tested with Viper, same day, same weather condition!!)
    F50 N/A, but is “a little bit” faster than 360… Fiorano: F50 1’27”00; 360 Modena 1’31”50….

Sorry, but I prefere F50

Mafalda

11. sorry , you'll be in 9th (NINETH) place next year, AGAIN.<!-- Signature -->

12. Ok, you're been falled in love Viper... But I prefere F50

Mafalda

13. The Ferrari F50 better perform better for half a million dollars, which is 7 times more expensive than the Viper!!! Did you know that dispite more horsepower and lighter weight, the F50 only beats the Viper by .1 second in the quarter mile? Pretty impressive. I would much much rather have a Ferrari over a Viper tho, but would much much rather pay for the Viper and get that much performance than pay for the Ferrari.<!-- Signature -->

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SvSi Viper</i>
    <b>The Ferrari F50 better perform better for half a million dollars, which is 7 times more expensive than the Viper!!! Did you know that dispite more horsepower and lighter weight, the F50 only beats the Viper by .1 second in the quarter mile? Pretty impressive. I would much much rather have a Ferrari over a Viper tho, but would much much rather pay for the Viper and get that much performance than pay for the Ferrari.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    1 second at 200 Kmh are 55 m...

Mafalda

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SPHZ</i>
    <b>Your talking about race vipers.... go look at the F-50GT. Then compare.....

I would take the Ferrari regardless if it cost a million and a viper cost a dollar twenty five..... </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ok, but choose a Ferrari with radio so you'll have something to hear while you're watching all other drivers smoking you...LOL!<!-- Signature -->

16. Who would need a radio when you have a v12 motor reving to 10500 RPMs behind you. (F-50GT)

<!-- Signature -->

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SPHZ</i>
    <b>Who would need a radio when you have a v12 motor reving to 10500 RPMs behind you. (F-50GT)

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Zigackly,

Lido if you are trying to prove that the Viper is better bang per buck, then there are no arguments, but a Ferrari isn't about performance per dollar. You just don't get it do you?, so what if Race-Spec Vipers beat Ferraris? I can name a Race-Spec Ferrari that will destroy any Viper on the planet, it's called an F2002.

If you want to talk about how great Vipers are at racing then go to the Viper forum or the racing forum, why you want to discuss how great a racecar the viper is in a road-going Ferrari forum seems a tad illogical to me...

18. I say the F50 surpasses the Viper in every aspect with the exception of fuel economy.The F50 burns almost twice as much fuel as the Viper even though it only has about 50 more horsepower.

19. I think ferrari will beat the viper in looks any day!!! I have respect for American cars but you gotta admit they make some big, ugly pieces of junk. <!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mafalda</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SvSi Viper</i>
    <b>The Ferrari F50 better perform better for half a million dollars, which is 7 times more expensive than the Viper!!! Did you know that dispite more horsepower and lighter weight, the F50 only beats the Viper by .1 second in the quarter mile? Pretty impressive. I would much much rather have a Ferrari over a Viper tho, but would much much rather pay for the Viper and get that much performance than pay for the Ferrari.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    1 second at 200 Kmh are 55 m...

Mafalda</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Learn to read. Notice I said .1 seconds. Meaning 1/10 of a second? 1 second is a huge margin, but .1 isn't. Read before you open your mouth, it helps.<!-- Signature -->

21. So the F50 IS faster then? have we all agreed on this yet?

22. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReeK</i>
    <b>So the F50 IS faster then? have we all agreed on this yet?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This isn't even close to being a fair comparison. The F50 costs 7 times more than the Viper. But yes, the F50 is faster, but only .1 second in the quarter mile. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Viper faster 0-1 mile acceleration than the F50? I could have sworn I read this somewhere. Anyone have any numbers on the F50 acceleration to 1 mile?<!-- Signature -->

23. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReeK</i>
    <b>So the F50 IS faster then? have we all agreed on this yet?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Please, don't make me laugh !

In Ferrari (FIAT) world we have F50, 360, 550 and 456.

In Viper (DAIMLER-CHRYSLER) world we have GTS-R, RT-10, ACR and GTS.

In tunned Ferraris we has Hamann, Koenig and Mamerow.

In tunned Vipers Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Rinspeed, Startech and TNT.

Research and do your question again, thanks !<!-- Signature -->

24. Lido, I have to say... I don't frequently agree with your opinions about Ferraris as I interpret them. But I do have respect for the research you put into many of your posts.

On the other hand, regarding your comment on the Viper GTR... The F50 GT was origionally intended as a competing car for the 911 GT1 which did so well at LeMans several times. It was also designed to compete with the CLK-GTR, and Mclaren F1 GTR. Now, as I understand the situation they decided not to participate in that series because of their efforts in Formula 1 becoming increasingly expensive and the concerns that it would not be profitable. Furthermore, rule changes in the following years made it illegal in the series. But according to any measures I've seen, it would have been at the very least competitive with the previously mentioned cars, if not quicker... Ferrari is Ferrari, and although that is what I've read about their motives, we'll truly never know. Though the F-50 GT is a different classification car, I think you'll agree according to what little data we have it would be quicker around a track than the Viper GTR, considering the cars it was designed to compete with ran faster lap times than the Viper GTR does now, to my knowledge.

Finally, about your Prodrive 550 Maranello comment: According to Forza Magazine's article in February 2002, the car does quite well in the series it was originally designed for, the FIA GT. I quote: "We ran the last three races; we won two of them and came in third in the other. Now we want to bring the car to the states and demonstrate it," End quote. Now, the "States" of which he speaks implies the ALMS. Now, it's done allright, and in a few races, run close to and in front of some Viper GTRs in a non factory backed operation. Furthermore, the Viper GTR has been around much longer, and has had more time to be developed. After another year or two, I believe the Prodrive 550 Maranello will be very competitive, maybe winning. Only time will tell.

Final call: Lido, I respect your knowledge and research, even if we differ in opinions on some things. Here's the bottom line- Both are amazing cars, very fast, and very advanced. Over time, we'll see what happens between the two of them. I look forward to seeing what knowledge you can bring to the table on this discussion and hope that we can continue this discussion with maturity, something I've seen you capable of in the past. I look forward to hearing from you.

25. #50 Ferrari Ops, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Only questionable tactics I heard about Ferrari in F1 last year was something about a Michelin engineer noticing an odd smell from some of the Bridgestone tires, a smell he recognized to be some illegal compounds which can enhance performance... Are you refering to that or the questionable switch of position between Schumacher and Barichello at the Austrian GP? I think that if you're refering to that, then you will find some answers (Ross Brawn or Rory Burn's, I don't remember who'se) in an article on www.formula1.com from a few days after the GP. Also, according to Ron Dennis, McLaren Motorsport team boss:

"I don't really want to get drawn into this. I don't think the rules should be changed. What Ferrari did was completely within the rules. There is nothing wrong with what they did as regards regulatory matters."

Another article also states:

The FIA published a directive governing the use of team orders in April 1998, which were re-issued as a reminder in August 1999. This reflects the FIA's current stance on the subject. It read:

"There is no prohibition of team orders as such. The World Council merely reminded competitors of the long-standing provisions of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code, which prohibit "any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition" and made it clear that any such act would be penalised.

"Two competitions are taking place simultaneously at each Formula One™ Grand Prix: the World Championship, which extends over sixteen races, and the individual race itself.

"It is perfectly legitimate for a team to decide that one of its drivers is its Championship contender and that the other will support him."

I hope you find those answers helpful. If you are refering to something else please let me know, I'd love hear about it.

I agree completely, I look forward to further discussion with you.