Re: which of these is the best 360gt-porsche gt2-viper

Discussion in '2002 Ferrari 360 GT' started by BigWillman, Aug 9, 2002.

1. one more thing, didnt the vett ebeat the viper last year, all the vipers last year, i think that it beat several porsches too. <!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BigWillman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Magnus</i>
    <b>LOL!!! I can't believe you actually think a bigger engine than everyone else is something to brag about. the Viper GTS-R Concept gets 500 horsepower....ok, that's cool. But it does that by using a 8 liter V10. Do you have any conception of how ridiculously silly that is? No, strike that, it's sad.

I've seen people who like American cars say either of these two statements: "Wow, this car puts out so-and-so horsepower! That's so neat!", in which case, the enormous size of the engine doesn't even occur to them. The other statement I've seen is "yeah, my car has a 6 liter V8, isnt' that awesome?", and they don't even mention horsepower or torque numbers, or even 0-60 times.

Don't they realize that 9 trillion horsepower doesn't matter, isn't even that impressive, if the engine is 12 sextillion liters in size?

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You sir just proved my signiture, thank you, i could hardly have put it better myself. bigger engine = more power (especially torque, something many people around here seem to forget about)pretty simple formula actually.

Dont give me the better engineering shit, look at the ls1, it isnt out dated it wasn't even theorized until 1994 not produced till 97, and it gets better gas mileage (thanks to the perfect mating of the tranny to motor, thats engineering there people) than a stock 4CYLENDER accord or amazing, then there is the ls6, but i wont get into that.

HP/L is shit, just a cop out, the higher the hp/l usually means the lower the torque. hp = hp no matter how you get it</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

umm buddy no one said the honda accord/civic had wicked engineering besidews even if it did it would be enginereed to be a very cheap usable efficient car which it is, and when they say american cars dont have good engineering compared to ferrari's and porsche's not honda accords/civics which are sedans (somewhat) not racing cars.

3. ALL OVER RATED, READ THIS AND LISTEN TO THE FACTS

dayam right boys, all these cars are overated just like that other guy said, im pretty disappointed in this car, the "fine tuning of ferrari" sure doesnt show in this car, and yeh the guy bashing viper was right 8.0liters on V10 only 500hp with 8000cc of displacement, not very good, the only car that i kinda like out of this trio is the porsche gt, flat6 power, now thats fine tuning, but the car that would kill these cars is A TOYOTA, go look it up GT-ONE, hell yeh boys this is the car that would kill the cars before it would pass the 1/4 mile. no the gt-one isnt like your moms corolla or your friends celica, this was made for the races and toyota is the best. the TS020 engine is the beast engine ever made, even surpassin my favorite the 2JZ-GTE, also by toyota, this car is fine tuning at its best, its a V8 DOHC TURBO midrange engine car, 600HP!! 3600cc!! thats right kids 600hp and 3600cc on a v8. and sure you might say "this car isnt in the ferrari, porsche, viper class" and yeh your right, this car is in a class of its own higher than those cars, and you might say "this 360 was made for the track", and so is the gt-one, you wanna talk le mans then this is the car, the car got ninth place overall in the 98 le mans race and that was its first showing, then the following year it took second place in 99, this car brings the best of what all racers are looking for, POWER, HANDLING, AND ACCELERATION, ive alrady said its power but now to the weight, 900kg, THATS IT, NO BS!! if my calculations are right that less than 2000lbs, well im tired of talkin, anyone want to argue then im open to opinion, but you better come back at me with something good or dont waste my time.

4. ok some of you didnt get it with my last post, YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID TO COMPARE THE VIPER WITH A FERRARI OR PORSCHE,just plain stupid.you guys are comparing a skate board and a tricycle,so again are you stupid?<!-- Signature -->

5. which of these is the best 360gt-porsche gt2-viper

i think 360 gt is more than a match for the gt2 but iam not so sure about the viper as i don't know it's specs

6. The Porsche GT2 is more than a match for both the Viper and the Ferrari right now as a racecar. Decades of persistant development on the racetrack is absolutely invaluble. Give the Ferrari some time to develop, and after the new Viper comes out and develops, then we can see if they can take some wins from Porsche.
    I think it's fabulous that Ferrari is getting back into sportscar racing, BTW.<!-- Signature -->

7. I would take the viper gt2, 700hp and it can handle... Not all gt2's were the same but the 700hp version was sweet...<!-- Signature -->

8. the viper, over-rated?? haha thats hilarious

no other street car comes STOCK with that much power, with that big of an engine, with that...EVERYTHING. saying the viper is over-rated is like saying McDonalds serves good food

YUCK McDonalds tastes like shit

9. LOL!!! I can't believe you actually think a bigger engine than everyone else is something to brag about. the Viper GTS-R Concept gets 500 horsepower....ok, that's cool. But it does that by using a 8 liter V10. Do you have any conception of how ridiculously silly that is? No, strike that, it's sad.

I've seen people who like American cars say either of these two statements: "Wow, this car puts out so-and-so horsepower! That's so neat!", in which case, the enormous size of the engine doesn't even occur to them. The other statement I've seen is "yeah, my car has a 6 liter V8, isnt' that awesome?", and they don't even mention horsepower or torque numbers, or even 0-60 times.

Don't they realize that 9 trillion horsepower doesn't matter, isn't even that impressive, if the engine is 12 sextillion liters in size?

<!-- Signature -->

10. Magnus, that is an awesome avatar!! Where did you get it? I would like to know where to get some cool avatars like that. Also, what does your signature mean? It looks like it is German for "Bavarian Motor Works is (something)." Perhaps "BMW is classy" or "classic"?

11. Porsche rules<!-- Signature -->

12. go Porsche!<!-- Signature -->

13. im sorry but you all have got to understand the porsche gt2 could smoke both of these cars, without even trying, the porsche 911 turbo would be more of a match, non the less the gt2 has close to the same amount of power as the viper (V:500 P:around 470) and torque isnt that far off either, and all this is achieved with a 3.6 ltire inline 6. So plz dont give me this viper has the best engine bullcrap, because ovbiously they dont know how to use the technology

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CRF Speed Demon</i>
    <b>Id say... Porsche, and ferrari around the same lap times kinda deal...and vipers well...they're just over rated</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ncely put about the viper. They're always compared to cars that have maybe half the engine size

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Magnus</i>
    <b>LOL!!! I can't believe you actually think a bigger engine than everyone else is something to brag about. the Viper GTS-R Concept gets 500 horsepower....ok, that's cool. But it does that by using a 8 liter V10. Do you have any conception of how ridiculously silly that is? No, strike that, it's sad.

You sir just proved my signiture, thank you, i could hardly have put it better myself. bigger engine = more power (especially torque, something many people around here seem to forget about)pretty simple formula actually.

Dont give me the better engineering shit, look at the ls1, it isnt out dated it wasn't even theorized until 1994 not produced till 97, and it gets better gas mileage (thanks to the perfect mating of the tranny to motor, thats engineering there people) than a stock 4CYLENDER accord or amazing, then there is the ls6, but i wont get into that.

HP/L is shit, just a cop out, the higher the hp/l usually means the lower the torque. hp = hp no matter how you get it<!-- Signature -->

16. the viper is not about engineering, its about raw force and power,its a throw back to the sixties and seventies. the viper is not about horsepower per liter its about knowing you have the biggiest engine out there. some of you loose sight of this fact, the whole concept is simple american exess,bigger better screw gas milage,. and you have to love the lack of refinement. viper=raw force- ferrari or any number of imports=refinement and controll

see how simple it is<!-- Signature -->

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from toolisgod</i>
    <b>the viper is not about engineering, its about raw force and power,its a throw back to the sixties and seventies. the viper is not about horsepower per liter its about knowing you have the biggiest engine out there. some of you loose sight of this fact, the whole concept is simple american exess,bigger better screw gas milage,. and you have to love the lack of refinement. viper=raw force- ferrari or any number of imports=refinement and controll

see how simple it is</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

that's right . . . seems like everybody forgot about the muscle cars up in here.

Not that I don't respect the GT2 or other cars that use high technology for their performance, but I also like the sound of a V8, especially a hemi.<!-- Signature -->

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from toolisgod</i>
    <b>the viper is not about engineering, its about raw force and power,its a throw back to the sixties and seventies. the viper is not about horsepower per liter its about knowing you have the biggiest engine out there. some of you loose sight of this fact, the whole concept is simple american exess,bigger better screw gas milage,. and you have to love the lack of refinement. viper=raw force- ferrari or any number of imports=refinement and controll

see how simple it is</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I like how you bring up gas mileage, when a stock 99 corvette gets better gas mileage than a 99 civic, hmm

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BigWillman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Magnus</i>

HP/L is shit, just a cop out, the higher the hp/l usually means the lower the torque. hp = hp no matter how you get it</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You say "bigger engine = more power (especially torque, something many people around here seem to forget about)pretty simple formula actually.", but there's other ways to get power (torque or horsepower) than just making the engine bigger. Any moron can make a 10 cylinder 8 litre engine that makes 500 horsepower, but not everyone can make a smaller engine with just as much power.
    Just look at the Audi RS4, it uses a 2.7 litre v6 and puts out 380 horses and 325 ft lbs or torque. Now that's engineering, and don't tell me "anyone can just slap on a turbo" cuz the turbo needs to be created right, and the engine needs to be modified to handle the turbo.<!-- Signature -->

20. Wouldn't a better comparison be between the 360GT and the M3GTR? I mean they are both V8's. Both around the same power 430hp for the 360GT and 440hp for M3GTR. Correct me if I'm wrong but size wise they seem quite close and being completly gutted, probably within 150 pounds of each other. That's a guess so chances are I'm off but none the less, I think it would be a good match up.

I could see the Ferrari having an advantage having a mid mounted engine for better overall handeling and off the line acceleration with the bulk of the weight right over the drive wheels. On the other hand the BMW is entering it's third race season and having two years of development and refinment behind it.

Thoughts?

21. The Team Oreca Viper GTS-R's blow the rest away.... no i'm not a loyal viper fan but i've witnessed them in form and the porsche GT2's weren't even in the picture.

22. No matter how you look at it, the Viper is NOT a good car...
    It has a poor engine and poor handling, and the same gearbox as in the Dodge RAM. That's right, a truck!
    Both the porsche and the Ferrari are much better cars, and since the GT2 is much better than the reguler 360, it will probably beat the 360GT as well. Besides, the GT2 is problably one of the best handling cars in the world right now - that's why in the "Road&Track" tests they got the best results ever with the GT2, and those guys tested almost every goddamn car out there...
    GT2 all the way!!!

P.S
    The cars on the races are not always exactly the same cars as in the market, so actually until the race nothing van be determined...

23. I think that the Ferrari 360 GT would compete with the Porsches in the GT class rather than in the GTS class with the Viper's and C-5R's. It would be a good race with the 360GT and the GT2 Porsche's. But in my opinion the Viper would tear this car up. But on the other hand Ferrari has also developed a 550GT that is going to give the Viper's and C-5R's a run for thier money......<!-- Signature -->

24. This is an unfair comparison, the 360 GT competes in the FIA GT Championship, and it is qualified as a GT3 car, this car competes against Porsches GT3, the Prosche GT2 and the Viper are qualified as GT2 cars, the other cars in these class are the 550 Maranello and the Lister Storm.<!-- Signature -->

25. GT2 will smoke this 2 cars .

Air is free , get some !