Re: Why aren't car manufactuer's using pop-headlights as much an

Discussion in '2002 Lotus Esprit V8' started by AZAKAMOUKOU, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Why aren't car manufactuer's using pop-headlights as much any mo

I know this is sort of a stupid topic,Just why? Before 1995 they're were several cars using them but now it appears auto makers have stopped using them. This is one of the last cars I know with pop-ups<!-- Signature -->

2. Well i would think they cause a significant increase in drag and sometimes they can look really cheap and tacky on some cars where the design wasnt thought through well enough

But i must admit some cars look really beautiful and arresting with them fitted correctly, others look downright s$&t and ugly

3. its all in the weight
    <!-- Signature -->

4. Drag??? Weight?????? Nah- its all in the Euro NCAP safety standards - cars now have to pass minimum requirements for passenger impact safety - pop-ups are more dangerous to innocent bystanders than fared-in lights.<!-- Signature -->

5. Well that sucks because pop up lights on some cars like the esprit make it look sweet especially when its daylight and the lights are down it makes it look very badass. dont you agree?

6. One reason is that it takes out the aerodynamics out of the car. It is hard for a car to go over 155MPH w/ the pop-up lights up. It is not just the weight.<!-- Signature -->

7. RLQ is right. When you are going 150, drag is not 2x what it was at 75, it increases exponentialy. Those flat surfaces sticking straight up just kill the aerodynamics. They look good when they are in, but they are sort of ugly when they are up

8. Okay, but people looking for sport cars are looking for style and design too.

I think they should left these headlights without modifications. They`re beaultiful.

Now, look the Acura NSX, they exchange their headlights for new one and I thiks the car is ugly now.

Ferrari isn't using popup headlight in 360, but for that they make a lot of modifications in the 'old' 355. In fact, 360 is completelly diferent from 355 and the new headlight are cool. But changin only them like the Acura isn't a good idea for me.

I think lotus has excellent designers. They have the Exige/Elise for people looking for standard headlights and the Espirit using popup headlights.

They're both very beaultiful.

9. I'd be willing to bet it has a lot to do with cost as well as aerodynamics. Car companies are out to make money, so most of them skimp any way they can. What is cheaper to produce, a clear plastic lens, or motorized headlights?

10. maybe cause its not trendy anymore...
    not sure though..

11. yeah im thinkin that manufacturers do market research and such and sees that the flip up lights are too 80ish, tacky, and other possible reasons posted before. i personally dont like the design myself. some cars like the Corvette and the Esprit i take some exception to however.

12. Weight Reduction perhaps. And even by 2005, the corvette might get rid of the pop-ups due too weight reductions.

13. This looks great with them. Just like the old Supra.

14. Well, it reduces the weight of the necessary components over the very front corners of the cars, which would lighten up the steering a fraction and aid in the weight distribution of the car a bit. This is why Honda changed to fixed headlights for the NSX (And hey, it's also horribly out of style now).

In the 80's, pop-up headlights just screamed sportscar, everything had them! And as pointed out, they are very bad aerodynamicly (well, relatively bad anyway). Toyota knew this earlier than some, they switched Supra and MR2 to fixed as Honda were releasing a much more expensive car with outdated pop-up lights.

15. I dont agree with it being because of aerodynamics- although they obviously have an influence when up, when down the car would actually be better aerodynamically than one with conventionl lights, and hopefully nobody who drives one on the road would be stupid enough to drive at 150mph in the dark.

Also weight of the lights would be minimal- maybe 1kg a side more than conventional ones- they operate off a motor even less substantial than a wiper motor, so i dont think weight saving would be a reason either.

Safety seems perfectly pheasable(sp?) as does changes in design- modern cars tend to be more curvey which doesnt blend very well with pop up lights which are usually angular.

Reliability may also be an issue- these lights would make unecessary complications.

By the way, they are stopping production of the espirit at the end of this year. I cant start a new thread because i havent done 50 posts yet, so what do people think they will make as a replacement? I hope they use the same engine.

p.s. maybe someone can start a new thread about the discontinuation of the espirit for me..

16. I dont agree with it being because of aerodynamics- although they obviously have an influence when up, when down the car would actually be better aerodynamically than one with conventionl lights, and hopefully nobody who drives one on the road would be stupid enough to drive at 150mph in the dark.

Also weight of the lights would be minimal- maybe 1kg a side more than conventional ones- they operate off a motor even less substantial than a wiper motor, so i dont think weight saving would be a reason either.

Safety seems perfectly pheasable(sp?) as does changes in design- modern cars tend to be more curvey which doesnt blend very well with pop up lights which are usually angular.

Reliability may also be an issue- these lights would make unecessary complications.

By the way, they are stopping production of the espirit at the end of this year. I cant start a new thread because i havent done 50 posts yet, so what do people think they will make as a replacement? I hope they use the same engine.

p.s. maybe someone can start a new thread about the discontinuation of the espirit for me..

17. Well not a hole lot of people like em i dont because take the esprit on its triangle front in it looks good at day time but when it turns night and they pop up it messes up the shape of the car