Re: Why the turbo's?

Discussion in '2000 Hennessey Viper Venom 800TT' started by Al3264, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Why the turbo's?

Why is it given the biggest current production car engine you have to use two turbos to give it 800HP. Surely it's relatively easy to muster 100HP/Litre without forced induction.

2. ok, then you make me a viper that gets 800hp without turbos. Then i will take you seriously.<!-- Signature -->

3. that is the stupidest question i have ever seen on supercars i am sorry but if u wanna say something bad about this car at least have some idea about what a car is

4. there is no reason forced induction is needed to get this sort of power look at the Speed 12 or even the Civic Type R which also gives over 100HP/Litre. It should easily be possible but no real tuners are interested in the Viper.

5. It is easier to get 100 hp/l out of a much smaller engine. Look at an S2000 engine. And then the Cerbera Speed 12 or McLaren F1. Then, consider the prices.

Let us know when you've figured it out.

6. You think the Speed 12's engine is much smaller than the Vipers at 7.7?? Are you mad? its 300cc smaller. lol<!-- Signature -->

7. Yes, the Speed 12's engine is not much smaller. But its price is much larger ($215K+ USD vs. $160K for this one, which is not even really considered a good bang for the buck value in terms of modified Vipers, vs. $80K for a standard GTS). Understand the basic relationship now? Thanks for agreeing that the S2000's engine is superior to any other car engine. Better than the McLaren F1's, better than any TVR, better than any Lambo. Because hp/l is all that matters, LOL.

8. If you want to get good hp/l out of a NA 8L engine, you have to do a lot of work. First, you can't do it with the Viper's engine. You can get about 600hp, but that's the practical limit without some kind of supercharging.

If I were to design a high hp/l 8L engine, I'd have to make it at a narrow-angle V12, give it DOHCs with aggressive lobe profiles and enormous intake valve surface area. The lightness of the engine components is integral to the task at hand, so I'd use titanium everywhere possible. Aluminium block. No flywheel (who really needs it with 12 cylinders?). Computer Controls would be a must for the valve timing so that you can rev it high and still generate torque, a combination that produces lots of horsepower. Intake and exhaust manifolds would have to be direct, wide, and made of insulating materials to keep heat from dissipating.

Basically, everything that I mentioned above can't be found in the Viper's engine, so that's why it doesn't produce that much horsepower NA. To make the engine I described above, you'd need expensive materials, expensive manufacturing processes, and high-tech design techniques. All that adds up to a very expensive engine, which would make the car expensive. People like their expensive cars to be luxurious and exclusive on the inside and emotive on the outside, so you'd need expensive designs and materials again. So you're looking at a quarter of a million or more for your naturally aspirated, high hp/L engine.<!-- Signature -->

9. in reply to Guibo, i was refering to the engine. not the car. the name speed 12 is the engine name, as in speed 8 for the V8's or speed six for the six.so i think the price you quoted is steep if it just for an engine

10. Well how much do you think the engine on a Speed 12 costs? Are you saying the only difference between the Speed 12 and a Cerbera is the engine?

11. LOL, i don't think so..<!-- Signature -->

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>Yes, the Speed 12's engine is not much smaller. But its price is much larger ($215K+ USD vs. $160K for this one, which is not even really considered a good bang for the buck value in terms of modified Vipers, vs. $80K for a standard GTS). Understand the basic relationship now? Thanks for agreeing that the S2000's engine is superior to any other car engine. Better than the McLaren F1's, better than any TVR, better than any Lambo. Because hp/l is all that matters, LOL.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

HP/Liter? LOL! That's not all that matters! Torque is more important for acceleration than HP/Liter. HP/Liter is impressive numbers wise, but big freakin deal. If you have high horsepower but no torque where you gonna go? Somewhere but not very fast. Like your S2000 has what top speed maybe 150's? That's decent speed but since there's not much torque it'll hit that top speed very slowly.

Another thing people just to answer the main topic "why turbos?" Let's put it this way, I'm in love with the Speed 12 and I know it's NA, but it's also 3 times the cost of this thing. The reason for the Turbos is to keep the Viper at a cost that would actually sell here in the US. Makes it more affordable. It is easy to hit 800hp NA and the Speed 12 proves that, but's it's costly and alhough the price goes to other things for the TVR, it'll cost the viper a huge amount to hit that number NA also. Besides Turbos are sweet, put a blow-off valve in it with that V10's rumble, sweet sounds man!<!-- Signature -->

13. the turbos are for extra power, how else are you gonna get so much?<!-- Signature -->