Re: Would you rather have a mustang or gto?

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by SuprJames, Aug 10, 2002.

1. NNNNOOO car company, no matter how pissed there 2000 (not 2001) customers would be, will understate their hp numbers. The 02' Vette poduces 20 more ponies than the 01' and has vast improvements in weight reduction for the same price. Wouldn't you be pissed if you baught a 01'? That's life. Do you serioiusly think that whatever idiot paid $60,000 for the 00' (NOT 01') Cobra R (and there weren't that many because it was an extremely limited production car) really cares about the 02' having so much more hp?? NO because they baught it because it was a limited production car. Ford is far more worried about the many more potential Mutang devotees that will buy this car. Let's be serious, if this car were producing 360 ponies at the rear wheels, I seriously hope the numbers would be better especially considering the 3.55 gear ratio.

I didn't say it was impossible to tune Mustangs, they're just not as easy to work on and EVERYTHING is an issue with Fords. Every year Ford has all kinds of stupid little idiosyncrasies that make each engine a unique pain. The DOHC is nice though. A necessity with less cubic inches.

Your right, there are many idiots out there that don't know to lower their compression ratio before adding forced induction. All I was saying that if you were going to tune a Mustang up to 600 hp or whatever, it would probably be much easier to start with a regular Cobra. THAT'S ALL!! Usually you end up taking off most of the factory parts anyway(injectors, cam, heads, etc.). Same reason Lingenfelter uses regular Vettes instead of Z06's.

Ford is still using cast iron blocks. The advantages of aluminum blocks have been proven everywhere else. Why hasn't Ford gotten the hint?? Ford is always behind GM in technology. That is why they're putting a supercharger on the Mustang. Easy hp. I will admit that the DOHC is cool though. It's a necessity with smaller cubic inches. Would like to see it on a Vette (miss the ZR-1).

2. By the way, I know the GTO won't beat the 03' SVT and I espect the car for it's performance. I just think Ford needs a new engine to play with. Supercharging is just an easy way to make hp.

3. I tried to see if you would just go away, but just more dumb comments.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>NNNNOOO car company, no matter how pissed there 2000 (not 2001) customers would be, will understate their hp numbers. The 02' Vette poduces 20 more ponies than the 01' and has vast improvements in weight reduction for the same price. Wouldn't you be pissed if you baught a 01'? That's life. Do you serioiusly think that whatever idiot paid $60,000 for the 00' (NOT 01') Cobra R (and there weren't that many because it was an extremely limited production car) really cares about the 02' having so much more hp?? NO because they baught it because it was a limited production car. Ford is far more worried about the many more potential Mutang devotees that will buy this car. Let's be serious, if this car were producing 360 ponies at the rear wheels, I seriously hope the numbers would be better especially considering the 3.55 gear ratio. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

People and magazines have been putting bone stock 2003 mustang cobra’s on dynos getting these results, 370-380rwhp with sae correction. Is everyone else wrong? Or is it it just you? By the way taller gears, 3.55 over 3.27s actually make you lose very little horsepower and torque on the dyno. Dynos cannot compensate the torque multiplication for gears in the rearend. If you think it never happens anymore ask your chevy friends if the z28 has 310 horsepower at the wheels. Then you’ll know how wrong you are.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>I didn't say it was impossible to tune Mustangs, they're just not as easy to work on and EVERYTHING is an issue with Fords. Every year Ford has all kinds of stupid little idiosyncrasies that make each engine a unique pain.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It was only the 99 Cobras. One year. Count ‘em.

<b>All I was saying that if you were going to tune a Mustang up to 600 hp or whatever, it would probably be much easier to start with a regular Cobra. THAT'S ALL!! Usually you end up taking off most of the factory parts anyway(injectors, cam, heads, etc.). Same reason Lingenfelter uses regular Vettes instead of Z06's. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

There is only one Cobra, and this year it’s supercharged. Ford gives us the cast iron block, forged internals, tremec 6-speed transmission, heavy duty 11” clutch, aluminum flywheel etc. Every component on the car is made to handle the boost. From the factory it’s only a few bolt-ons from 500 rwhp and 11s, it is made to be modified.

<b>Ford is still using cast iron blocks. The advantages of aluminum blocks have been proven everywhere else. Why hasn't Ford gotten the hint?? Ford is always behind GM in technology. That is why they're putting a supercharger on the Mustang. Easy hp. I will admit that the DOHC is cool though. It's a necessity with smaller cubic inches. Would like to see it on a Vette (miss the ZR-1).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Previous Cobra’s had aluminum blocks, the iron block was used in the 2003 so the cobra’s potential would be higher with being able to stand great amounts of boost. And the DOHC 4V modular Cobra engine is infinitesimally more technologically advanced than GM’s pushrod LS1. It’s like comparing the Ford’s 351 to its new 4v 4.6. Sure the 351 makes alot of power, and so does the LS1 but that’s not the point.

<b> I'm sure there are more small block Chevys (350s, 383s, 420s) in drag racing than Ford 4.6's. I know that it's a hell of alot easier to get hp out of an LS1 engine than it is out of a Mustang 4.6 litre engine. It's easier to work on, cheaper, and there are so many more parts out there for it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s right too. Of course the 4.6 has only been out since 1996. You were comparing the LS1 and the 4.6, and sorry the 4.6 is now in the 6s and the LS1 is in the 9s.

Now as for mods? The 4.6 has one of the biggest aftermarket support of any engine all-time, coming close and will probably pass the 5.0. The LS1 just has less demand and each part costs more, and will only get less and less demand and attention.

Mustangs are very easy to work on, as opposed to the LS1. Ever wonder why it takes 8 hours to change spark plugs on f-bodys, versus doing mine in 30 minutes?

<b> As for the 03' Cobra being "the car to mod", remember that it's ALREADY modded!! It's already got a supercharger strapped to it. It's already got all the performance parts SVT could strap on it cost efficiently. On top of that YOU don't know anything about the 03' Cobra SVT because YOU'VE never seen one!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Cobra comes out of the factory with the supercharger, it is NOT modded or tuned. If it rolls out of the factory with it, it is stock. The Audis, Subarus, Volvos, Saabs, Porsche’s all come with turbos and they are all stock. And how in the hell do you know I haven’t seen one?!? It’s YOU who knows nothing about the 03 Cobra.

<b>The fuel injection systems DO respond great to forced induction having seen it (it being both superchargers and turbochargers) done on numberous Corvettes and a few Trans Ams. I've also seen a $5,000 supercharger on a Mustang Cobra and all it netted the guy was a burned up clutch and around 400 hp.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

ok...<!-- Signature -->

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>By the way, I know the GTO won't beat the 03' SVT and I espect the car for it's performance. I just think Ford needs a new engine to play with. Supercharging is just an easy way to make hp.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

lol. no one is stopping GM from using this technology. oh wait they allready are!<!-- Signature -->

5. why not both? I have a 69 GTO and love it, and i also have a 92 Mustang and love it. so i'll stick with both they both are fun for different reasons.

6. hey maybe you should pay attention a little more. they are comparing the new "GTO" to a new mustang.<!-- Signature -->

7. Someone give me a link that says this is a heavy car and don't give me a motor trend link, because that is a concept gto(out of many), but this gto in supercars.net is the way it will realy look so give me a link with a picture of the new gto like the one on sc.net where it says it's heavy. <!-- Signature -->

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Someone give me a link that says this is a heavy car and don't give me a motor trend link, because that is a concept gto(out of many), but this gto in supercars.net is the way it will realy look so give me a link with a picture of the new gto like the one on sc.net where it says it's heavy. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Why don't YOU give ME proof that it's lighter than the car that it almost exactly based, on that's already out, and we KNOW is heavy.<!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Someone give me a link that says this is a heavy car and don't give me a motor trend link, because that is a concept gto(out of many), but this gto in supercars.net is the way it will realy look so give me a link with a picture of the new gto like the one on sc.net where it says it's heavy. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Why don't YOU give ME proof that it's lighter than the car that it almost exactly based, on that's already out, and we KNOW is heavy.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Then give me a link so I can know that it's heavy.<!-- Signature -->

10. camaro, you never cease to amaze me with your dogmatic idiocy and retarded comments. you banter like a two year old and your comments carry no credibility. open your eyes for crying out loud!!! and again i'm going to mention how stupid your huge ass signature is. especially when you post one line comments. damn. and suprjames, you are in the same boat as camaro. idiots. frankly i don't like the mustang or this car, but given the choice, i'd chose the SVT. superchargers are in no way "cheating" and they're not the "easy way out" either. forced induction, when used properly, is a beautiful thing. read my signature. (maybe i should throw in 1000 lines of crap so you can relate to it better.. damn)<!-- Signature -->

11. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from xebec</i>
    <b>camaro, you never cease to amaze me with your dogmatic idiocy and retarded comments. you banter like a two year old and your comments carry no credibility. open your eyes for crying out loud!!! and again i'm going to mention how stupid your huge ass signature is. especially when you post one line comments. damn. and suprjames, you are in the same boat as camaro. idiots. frankly i don't like the mustang or this car, but given the choice, i'd chose the SVT. superchargers are in no way "cheating" and they're not the "easy way out" either. forced induction, when used properly, is a beautiful thing. read my signature. (maybe i should throw in 1000 lines of crap so you can relate to it better.. damn)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree. Just look at the thread 'Hoden', waste of space.

P.S. when you have already posted in a thread, you can uncheck that option 'Include Signature'<!-- Signature -->

12. I don't beleive this, this will not be a high 13sec. car the f-bodies aren't even that slow they are low 13 sometimes high 12sec. cars and less hp. Anyway what if they make a new version of the pontiac gto le-mans that will for surely beat your mustang cobra.<!-- Signature -->

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>How many of these threads are you going to make?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>pontiac is going to be an American bmw.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Pontiac is GM's youth division. Cheap cars. What they think are looks. etc. Try cadillac for you question.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Performance this would either be able to beat the mustang or barely keep up with it</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

(I hate caps, sorry). NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. THE MUSTANG IS A MID 12 SECOND CAR AND THE GTO WILL BE A MID 13 SECOND CAR. According to Car and Driver, the new Cobra is 7/10ths faster than the current WS6. The GTO has to prove it will even perform at the level of the WS6/SS. Not to mention around a track it would get schooled. The 03 Cobra surpasses the Cobra R in that category. Thats z06 territory.

<b>If I'm correct this has 375 torque and the cobra has 370 so this has more torque.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No. You are INcorrect. You twisted my words. The Cobra has 370 ft lbs of torque AT THE WHEELS, which equates to 425 at the flywheel. The GTO has an advertised 375 ft lb of torque, and advertised torque and horsepower is ALWAYS at the flywheel. 425 [Cobra] vs. 375 [GTO].</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Chevy hater are we? High 13's? 350 hp, right? No, I'm sorry. We're looking at high 12's. Deal with it. GM released yet another kick ass car, and you can't cope!<!-- Signature -->

14. ahh hate to break it to you bud. But considering i live in australia and we've already got the monaro on the road and its HSV versions. ITs a MID 13 second car, it aint going to run 12s. If you wanna look it up, we've got 350hp in HSV's base model coupe.

You either run your performance times differently there in the states or downhill if you think this will run 12s.

15. Gm doesnt want a hp war.. they said so themselves with the corvette c6 theyre making theyre even gunna tone it down a lil with the hp for the new c6 and increase the aerodynamics and other parts of the car (spoilers, air flows, pop up lights are gone, etc...)

if they wanted to make a war theyd do it with manners and respect for the dam car and with a little thing called a brain they dont just plop in a engine and hope for the best (viper, mustang)

so i guess the answer here is i rather have the gto

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>ahh hate to break it to you bud. But considering i live in australia and we've already got the monaro on the road and its HSV versions. ITs a MID 13 second car, it aint going to run 12s. If you wanna look it up, we've got 350hp in HSV's base model coupe.

You either run your performance times differently there in the states or downhill if you think this will run 12s.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

actually gto is a better version of that manaro... they lightened it and made it a lil more powerful for up here in tha states so it shud probably run the 12's or surprise me with the 11's

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from WakkaWu</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>ahh hate to break it to you bud. But considering i live in australia and we've already got the monaro on the road and its HSV versions. ITs a MID 13 second car, it aint going to run 12s. If you wanna look it up, we've got 350hp in HSV's base model coupe.

You either run your performance times differently there in the states or downhill if you think this will run 12s.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

actually gto is a better version of that manaro... they lightened it and made it a lil more powerful for up here in tha states so it shud probably run the 12's or surprise me with the 11's</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I agree with you.<!-- Signature -->

18. BR>
    actually gto is a better version of that manaro... they lightened it and made it a lil more powerful for up here in tha states so it shud probably run the 12's or surprise me with the 11's</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

keep dreaming. this is'nt going to be close to 13 sec let alone 12's<!-- Signature -->

19. i didn't know this thing could beat a zo6 in the quarter miles. 11s you must be dreaming. i would say low 13s. or high 12s in a good day.

20. The HSV GTO has 255kw in the same body as this and it runs 13's so this should be slightly quicker

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>BR>
    actually gto is a better version of that manaro... they lightened it and made it a lil more powerful for up here in tha states so it shud probably run the 12's or surprise me with the 11's</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

keep dreaming. this is'nt going to be close to 13 sec let alone 12's</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Why don't you keep dreaming that it will only do high 13's.<!-- Signature -->

22. I think YOU should keep dreaming. Seriously unless you measure power differently, OR run times downhill.

If you'd read my post you would have said we've already got this and the HSV versions. This GTO is only the same as HSV's base model coupe and makes the same power. Don't try and tell me the power's up on it and the weight's down (its not). I don't know what bob's been feeding you blokes. But considering these cars are manafactured in australia and currently on our roads I think people in Australia have a better idea of the performance these cars offer.

oh and it weighs 1660kilos. Have fun getting 11s out of that with 255kw. Guess that makes it a MID 13 second car.

23. Would you rather have a mustang or gto?

Now lets not say the mustang, because it has a little more power lets consider other things. Sound I think the gto would sound better, because it doesn't have a supercharger(it makes it have a high wineing sound), I think this would have better quality everything than the mustang, because pontiac is going to be an American bmw, Performance this would either be able to beat the mustang or barely keep up with it, price(if wakkawu is correct) this is going to be 30k same as a mustang, looks I like this better, but you can't compare looks(for example if you compare an aztec to a porsche someone might like the aztec better), suspention this is supposed to be a very good car in that area, and hp. this doesn't have as much hp., but it is a base model and doesn't need a supercharger to have alot of power, so looking at that I'd rather have a gto, but there are some people who would still rather have a mustang. If I'm correct this has 375 torque and the cobra has 370 so this has more torque.<!-- Signature -->

24. How many of these threads are you going to make?

<b>pontiac is going to be an American bmw.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Pontiac is GM's youth division. Cheap cars. What they think are looks. etc. Try cadillac for you question.

<b>Performance this would either be able to beat the mustang or barely keep up with it</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

(I hate caps, sorry). NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. THE MUSTANG IS A MID 12 SECOND CAR AND THE GTO WILL BE A MID-HIGH 13 SECOND CAR. According to Car and Driver, the new Cobra is 7/10ths faster than the current WS6. The GTO has to prove it will even perform at the level of the WS6/SS. Not to mention around a track it would get schooled. The 03 Cobra surpasses the Cobra R in that category. Thats z06 territory.

<b>If I'm correct this has 375 torque and the cobra has 370 so this has more torque.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No. You are INcorrect. You twisted my words. The Cobra has 370 ft lbs of torque AT THE WHEELS, which equates to 425 at the flywheel. The GTO has an advertised 375 ft lb of torque, and advertised torque and horsepower is ALWAYS at the flywheel.

Even if you want to look at advertised hp/tq and forget how underated and detuned the Cobra is as it responds to even the smallest mods with huge power increase, the GTO is down 40 horsepower and 15 ft lb of torque.<!-- Signature -->

25. How many of these threads are you going to make?

(I hate caps, sorry). NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. THE MUSTANG IS A MID 12 SECOND CAR AND THE GTO WILL BE A MID 13 SECOND CAR. According to Car and Driver, the new Cobra is 7/10ths faster than the current WS6. The GTO has to prove it will even perform at the level of the WS6/SS. Not to mention around a track it would get schooled. The 03 Cobra surpasses the Cobra R in that category. Thats z06 territory.

No. You are INcorrect. You twisted my words. The Cobra has 370 ft lbs of torque AT THE WHEELS, which equates to 425 at the flywheel. The GTO has an advertised 375 ft lb of torque, and advertised torque and horsepower is ALWAYS at the flywheel. 425 [Cobra] vs. 375 [GTO].<!-- Signature -->